Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skallagrim

Banned
2014 Russian Mainland Replaced by Wilderness

It's a very interesting idea. Please don't take this criticism the wrong way, but I must agree with @Clandango that the response of other countries would be vastly different. Consider, first of all, that this is happening at the height of the 2014 war scare, when quite serious people in NATO command were talking publicly about direct military intervention. If Russia essentially "disappears" overnight, NATO forces will be mobilised and strategic resources will be secured at once. There will be no hesitation about that, because everyone will see what a unique situation (and opportunity) this is.

As Clandango wrote: Europe is rather dependent on Russian oil and gas. Securing the major fields will be priority number one. The vast concentration of those is north of Kazakhstan, so expect a NATO expeditionary force to concentrate its efforts there.

China will realistically be able to drive for the oil and gas fields north of Mongolia. This almost certainly means that China will simply annex Mongolia in the process, using the global chaos to get away with it. At the same time, China will enforce its old claims to all of Manchuria.

Fully aware of China's ambitions, the USA will almost certainly attempt to gain a serious foothold in the (formerly) Russian Far East. One goal will be to hem in China a bit. Another consideration will be that, while not the big source of oil and gas as other parts of Russia, the area in question can still offer plenty of resources.

In Western Russia, the various bordering countries will just "make a grab for it". (Incidentally, you should note Finland's historic claims in this context. I'd expect Finland to grab all of Karelia post-haste.)

The Russians are so reduced in numbers that they are a largely inconsequential group. If they're lucky, the Americans or Europeans turn (parts of) their claimed areas into ethnically Russian protectorates. At any rate, lots of Russians who remain will have to be relocated anyway, since Kaliningrad, Sakhalin and Crimea are not going to survive as (post-)Russian states. They'll be (re-)taken by the neighbours, and won't be pleasant places for Russian inhabitants afterwards...

Here's a very quick edit of your initial ISOT map, showing the areas the Europeans, Chinese and Americans would be most interested in, respectively:

Event 2014.png

The Russians are so reduced in numbers that they are a largely inconsequential group. If they're lucky, the Americans or Europeans turn (parts of) their claimed areas into ethnically Russian protectorates. At any rate, lots of Russians who remain will have to be relocated anyway, since Kaliningrad, Sakhalin and Crimea are not going to survive as (post-)Russian states. They'll be (re-)taken by the neighbours, and won't be pleasant places for Russian inhabitants afterwards...
I wouldn't be so sure about Kalingrad. Fairly solidly Russian and I don't see anyone pushing for it to returned to zgermany or for it to be cleared out for the Lithuanians or Poles to come in. It might end up falling into the orbit of Belarus if the leaders in the oblast, both civil and military, don't try and cut a deal. Russia is going to be difficult even for farming, as we don't have centuries of people picking the stones form the field, and if they claim the whole land they will be lucky to be compared in par with Taiwan. I sense the is going to be some issues with nationalizing Russian property throughout Europe as the companies lose their leadership and a few oligarchs on vacation try to claim the whole of the assets. Looking at Wikipedia, it seems there is maybe twenty million ethnic Russians outside of Russia. Results will very on how many want to go to a wilderness, but there is enough to try setting up an area, though I fear the massive agricultural and mineral projects set up to exploit the land would remind people too much both of the rule of commissars and oligarchs. What you think about Vladistock and the nearby areas? The whole Amur-Ussuri area is going to be highly desirable, and I see a flash point here if things aren't done carefully.

Skallagrim

Banned
I wouldn't be so sure about Kalingrad. Fairly solidly Russian and I don't see anyone pushing for it to returned to zgermany or for it to be cleared out for the Lithuanians or Poles to come in. It might end up falling into the orbit of Belarus if the leaders in the oblast, both civil and military, don't try and cut a deal.

Belarus is going to have enough trouble staying intact without Russia's tacit backing. Personally, I really do think The Lithuanians and the Poles will take joint action to, ah, "secure" Kaliningrad. I don't think any other powers will be very interested in stopping them, either. All nations to their east will be to focused on trying to carve out bits of former Russia for themselves, whereas Germany (and other Western powers) will be busy determining how best to secure Russian resources ASAP.

Russia is going to be difficult even for farming, as we don't have centuries of people picking the stones form the field, and if they claim the whole land they will be lucky to be compared in par with Taiwan. I sense the is going to be some issues with nationalizing Russian property throughout Europe as the companies lose their leadership and a few oligarchs on vacation try to claim the whole of the assets. Looking at Wikipedia, it seems there is maybe twenty million ethnic Russians outside of Russia. Results will very on how many want to go to a wilderness, but there is enough to try setting up an area, though I fear the massive agricultural and mineral projects set up to exploit the land would remind people too much both of the rule of commissars and oligarchs.

It's definitely going to be a mess. I'm quite confident that any claims by "stragglers" will be roundly ignored. Quite possibly, some sort of "Russian Reconstruction Zone" could be set up west of the Urals, as a new homeland for the Russians, to be built up with Western support. Obviously, all of this is going to take decades. (It will also take years, at least, before any claimed areas are really brought under meaningful control by the nations claiming them.)

Even if we assume vast military investment in securing the oil and gas fields, and drilling, and getting refineries set up... Europe is going to face several cold winters before the first "new" Russian oil and gas will start to flow...

What you think about Vladistock and the nearby areas? The whole Amur-Ussuri area is going to be highly desirable, and I see a flash point here if things aren't done carefully.

China will just get there firstest with the mostest, and then it will be a fait accompli.

Belarus is going to have enough trouble staying intact without Russia's tacit backing. Personally, I really do think The Lithuanians and the Poles will take joint action to, ah, "secure" Kaliningrad. I don't think any other powers will be very interested in stopping them, either. All nations to their east will be to focused on trying to carve out bits of former Russia for themselves, whereas Germany (and other Western powers) will be busy determining how best to secure Russian resources ASAP.

China will just get there firstest with the mostest, and then it will be a fait accompli.
I feel the Russians and Lithuanians attacking this area would be seen negatively. It isn't as if the area hasn't had enough ethnic cleansing already, and if all of Russia disappears and the neighboring states invade the last remnant, I can see many fighting to the death. And of course they have some nukes there. Kaliningrad cutting a deal with NATO or the EU would ease tensions, though it would certainly involve them giving up nuclear weapons in exchange for not being invaded. Because that worked so well for Ukraine.

For the Amur thing, I was partially wondering if anyone else got there first and if the Chinese would react in a hostile. Considering it would basically just be the Japanese, North Koreans, and a couple hundred thousand Russians on Sakhalin, they shouldn't have trouble moving in quickly if Beijing came to a decision.

since Kaliningrad, Sakhalin and Crimea are not going to survive as (post-)Russian states. They'll be (re-)taken by the neighbours, and won't be pleasant places for Russian inhabitants afterwards...
If kaliningrad heads back to germany (historic claim, strategic importance for EU/nato, finance assistance PL/LT might not have), i guess they would actually be treated quite well. russian speaking people are, especially in the east and in berlin, a common sight and i could imagine it being an autonomous bundesland and with quite the good conditions. As for poland, or Lithuania... I could see some possibly nasty "revenge" stuff going on. Then again, Kaliningrad is one of the last remaining russian areas; and russians would be nearly extinct, and in modern times where polish and lithuanian people are well educated and are "more welcoming/understanding" than a few decades ago, I could see poles and lithuanians look at their own history of not having an independent homeland or a threat to their existence, see how people of their own kind felt back then, and then project that on how the "kaliningraders" would feel, and thus maybe just leaving them alone. or, more simple: invading a suffering country with a people that almost is extinct hurts diplomatic relations with the larger neighbors, the UN and NATO, so bad idea.

But honestly, it more or less depends on the decision of a few politicians on top of a country.

Btw @Skallagrim , well-made edit ^^

KapiTod

Banned
Another installment to The Terror in the Trenches, this time looking beyond the broken Earth to our solar neighbours, and a couple of interlopers too.

the_terror_in_the_trenches__the_charnel_realm_by_todyo1798-dcmleq3.png

Condensed write-up because it's pretty long and the image is already pretty big.

The Earth and its sister planets Venus and Mars no longer lie in their usual place within space and time, instead like so many others the birthplace of humanity has been torn into a realm alien in all aspects, a playground outside of our known universe. For one thousand years these worlds served as more battlefields among the billions which had fallen under the control of the true masters of our universe and all others. Plucked from the fevered dreams of the cursed Demon Sultan ximself the Earth has been thrown and trampled by the raw forces of creation in a skirmish between the combatants of the War Behind the Stars.

But that was so long ago, humanity slumbered then, the longest peace any of them would know, even the surviving warlocks of the Great War- Crowley and List, Rasputin and Lovecraft, do not remember how they escaped their imprisonment and laboured under the bondage of the Coven (of Ancient and All Knowing Creators of This World and All Worlds) and their minions, or how they were forced to war against the Hunters and the Great Ravening One Umbolk, the fabulous Yog-Sothoth and his twisted spawn, Ind the Un-Maker in all his mad splendor and the countless other monsters.

Humanity has returned to their blighted world, returned to the wars which sleep has not driven from their minds, returned to scrape and survive and fight against the remnants of the Earths part in the war. In this charnel realm, littered with dead worlds and dead gods, all under the burning eye of Yi-Shamyr who stares through space as they stare through our souls, guarding this rotting patch of a battlefield which stretches until the end of time.

The Charnel Realm isn't as messy as it once was. Littered with the corpses and remains of vast, leviathanic creatures which must have one point soared between the stars to do the dark bidding of their masters, most have been cleared. Devoured by smaller, parasitic space-faring beasts, drawn into the gravity wells of planets and colliding with their surface, or snagged by Yi-Shamyr for a snack. Xon-Shan-Tekili was the largest and one of the last to be defeated, the size of a planet with a hide as thick as the mantel of the Earth and as tangible as Dark Matter, their remains will likely take millennia to be consumed to dispersed to the cosmos. Oolor-Xon'g was equally massive, though its habit of phasing in and out of visual space makes the corpse a lot harder to track, and in any event it probably won't survive its latest journey around Yi.

Still the name has stuck, and it suits too. Every observable planet in the system bears the scars of its part in the War behind the Stars. Venus is now under the the control of a highly heat resistant, gaseous entity whose intense light-show can be seen from Earth with a good set of binoculars. It took some effort to drive off Cthugha's avatars, but those brainless aspects wouldn't have known what to do with the place! Unbeknownst to Earthlings of course its efforts in uplifting and enslaving the huge crawling, beetle-like creatures which dominated the cavernous interior of Venus have paid off, they've finally discovered a sprawling city complex in the upper mantle of the planet, seemingly built in the long-long-ago when the planets atmosphere wasn't quite so industrially toxic. Of course the Cthonians (close cousins of Earths burrowers, though immensely large and intelligent in comparison) are absolutely livid about some smug, aethereal thing messing with their spawning pit. They turned the surface into a wasteland to drive off those star headed freaks, and they can easily take care of this newcomer and its pets.

Mars was another possession of those "star headed freaks", the drying of its once vast oceans driving them to the suitably wet- if uncomfortably hot and humid, ancient Earth. The remnants at the Poles of the planet did hang on for a few more million years, burrowing into ice caves, cultivating the black slime which seeped up through the fissures deep underground for food. Nyarlethotep eventually found them on the brink of collapse, degenerated tribes crawling through the fast drying canons, cannibalizing their spores/offspring. They saw a brief Renaissance under this dark saviour, in which they built for it mountains and monuments and offered dark rights to the distant stars they didn't even remember their forebears descending from. Of course Nyarlethotep has a short attention span, especially back before they met humanity and adjusted to our mayfly like existences, so eventually these Elder Things were abandoned, their bodies and cities buried beneath the sand of their barren home.

Being the only inhabited world during the Convergence the Earth was more thoroughly devastated, whilst Venus and Mars saw equally intense battles for domination only the most OCD astronomers would be able to identify the scars left on their surfaces. Earth however was twisted almost beyond recognition, a freezing and shattered world barely kept alive by the faint heat of the demon star it has been tethered too. Humanity is a young race, and often interfered with in its youthful naivety, but these death-driven mayflies have proved to be infinitely entertaining to the Earth-bound deities who have enslaved and exploited them over the millennia. After all it was their desire to kill millions for their mortal rulers which drove the warlocks and sorcerers of the Earth to delve into dark texts, some dating back to before the first stones of Ur or Iram, they bound the souls of their fellow species to torture and thousands of years of servitude so they had the power to serve masters who they could smite with a snap of their fingers! Pacts were made with minor things which offered knowledge and instruction, the natural physics of the local space-time were disrupted, more powerful things began to notice this anomaly, and more powerful pacts were made as a result. Humanity surely had no concept of what they were dealing with, they would never have risked their home and all the lives on it to win such a petty conflict.

The destruction of the Moon will give the Earth a ring of its own, which will prove useful in keeping out some of the larger and less spatially aware extraterrestrial threats. The closest one is probably Mneme. Oceans and atmospheres can be clearly observed, even by someone with good eye-sight, and concentrations of points of light suggest some form of civilization on the planetoid. Whatever is up their they seem to be incapable of contacting us, though some meteorites studied by local authorities on ancient dialects almost look like they've writing on them, a message of greeting, or an insult directed at the nature of our progenitor?

The Mi-Go know of course, at least the control nodes have directed contact with the inhabitants of their new neighbour to see if they could help them get their rocks to Yuggoth. The local primitives were a bit more accommodating then the flesh things back on Earth, but they proved to be ignorant and just as prone to violence when confused. The control nodes have been looking further afield, the hot planet sets extremities on fire when one gets too close, the old ruins on Mars are full of old junk and drones tend to disappear when they get sent down the frozen passages. The new arrivals, Nemsis as observant humans call it, has been far more useful and a delegation is en route to collect the necessary rocks and other materials to finish a new transportation portal.

The Rhamnousians of Nemesis are recent arrivals to this system, settling on the third planet soon after the Unconscionable Things had grown bored of their new toys and pulled their forces to some other forsaken corner of the cosmos. Parasitic in nature their world was similarly captured and devastated by the powers that be some millennia ago, and since then they have served the masters of all creation like so many billions of others. A splinter of the greater race, a regiment one billion strong descended on the devastated and enslaved its original inhabitants as the crawled from the caverns and shelters they had hidden within for generations. Of course they've not made this too obvious to their fungoid visitors, claiming that the pale, fleshy lumps which squeal at them are merely an engineered servile race to their ruling caste. The Mi-Go drones aren't too observant of course, and the control nodes couldn't care less about how their new business partners got to where they are. What they're less observant of is the peril their friends find themselves in, on a collision course with Mars. Human astronomers had realised this decades ago, but the Rhamnousians have only copped onto it recently. Solutions are not forthcoming, and unless someone comes up with something soon then they may be forced to more desperate ends, they may be forced to ask for help from their former benefactors.

If kaliningrad heads back to germany (historic claim, strategic importance for EU/nato, finance assistance PL/LT might not have), i guess they would actually be treated quite well. russian speaking people are, especially in the east and in berlin, a common sight and i could imagine it being an autonomous bundesland and with quite the good conditions. As for poland, or Lithuania... I could see some possibly nasty "revenge" stuff going on. Then again, Kaliningrad is one of the last remaining russian areas; and russians would be nearly extinct, and in modern times where polish and lithuanian people are well educated and are "more welcoming/understanding" than a few decades ago, I could see poles and lithuanians look at their own history of not having an independent homeland or a threat to their existence, see how people of their own kind felt back then, and then project that on how the "kaliningraders" would feel, and thus maybe just leaving them alone. or, more simple: invading a suffering country with a people that almost is extinct hurts diplomatic relations with the larger neighbors, the UN and NATO, so bad idea.

But honestly, it more or less depends on the decision of a few politicians on top of a country.

Btw @Skallagrim , well-made edit ^^
Europe, though, will not be happy with the ramifications of a restored Königsberg, particularly given the role it had in stoking tensions with Poland prior to WWII. Germany will not be comfortable with seeming as though it has any sort of territorial ambitions. I imagine all sides would be willing to treat Kaliningrad as a free Russian city so as to not start a headache and to have a potential destination for Russian diaspora to go to if they wish. It would probably end up very Luxembourg-like.

Ukraine and Belarus are likely going to be the heirs apparent to Russia-that-was and Ukraine is probably going to be better at it. Annexed Crimea and the rebellions in Donetsk and Luhansk will be reintegrated, voluntarily or by force, and Belarus will probably try to make a run for the site of Moscow. Ukraine will move into the Caucasus and will probably have a similarly tense relationship with Georgia. Belarus will seize what they can while being forced to play nice with the EU.

Norway will be largely responsible for keeping Europe warm for the winter. Algeria will suddenly have massive demand for natural gas and competing peace-keeping missions will likely be sent into Libya by Egypt on the one hand, hoping to secure the resources for sale to Europe and by the EU, Algeria, and Tunisia on the other hand, hoping to limit Egypt's influence. The US might get involved as well though they will likely be more preoccupied with limiting China's expansion north. What I really have no idea about, and thus what I'm most interested in, is how Kazakhstan will respond. It's possible they'll try to seize the oil for themselves and thus take on Russia's role of supplier of natural gas.

Random World, A

Terra Nova, a world were no humans exist, where the Holocene Age never happened, and the world remains in a pristine and untouched state. Extinct animals such as Wolly Mammoths and Dodos roam the land, and the sea is teeming with large schools of fish and whales, the sky is clear, and the air is fresh. But all wouldn't remain so empty for long, as a phenomenon would bring ten random countries and territories from across the multiverse, to coexist on this strange, new, world.

View attachment 407728

ISOTs included:

• German Empire, 1936 Kaiserriech
  • The British Isles, OTL 250 BC
  • The Republic of Iceland, OTL 2018
  • Eastern North America, ATL 1444, where Native Americans somehow have better immune systems
  • The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, OTL 2014
  • Sakhalin, OTL 1920
  • Southern Africa (South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe), OTL 1980
  • West Africa, OTL 1350
  • Dominion of Newfoundland, OTL 1945
  • Indonesia, along with non-mainland Malaysia, Brunei, East Timor, and Papa New Guinea, OTL 2005
Anybody who wishes to make anthing post-ISOT is free to do so!
It wouldn't really make sense to depict the British Isles as a state, it's just a region where humans are now. And if it's the British isles, there's no reason for Brittany to come along with.

If I'm not mistaken, it's considered rather poor etiquette to simply post an ISOT map without any fleshing out of detail beyond simply copying and pasting various polities in.

2014 Russian Mainland Replaced by Wilderness

snip

I like the idea, but I think the end result doesn't really make sense. It's too generous to the rump Russian state, China should take a lot more territory, and the Caucasus state shouldn't be as big if it even exists.

Another installment to The Terror in the Trenches, this time looking beyond the broken Earth to our solar neighbours, and a couple of interlopers too.

the_terror_in_the_trenches__the_charnel_realm_by_todyo1798-dcmleq3.png

Condensed write-up because it's pretty long and the image is already pretty big.

The Earth and its sister planets Venus and Mars no longer lie in their usual place within space and time, instead like so many others the birthplace of humanity has been torn into a realm alien in all aspects, a playground outside of our known universe. For one thousand years these worlds served as more battlefields among the billions which had fallen under the control of the true masters of our universe and all others. Plucked from the fevered dreams of the cursed Demon Sultan ximself the Earth has been thrown and trampled by the raw forces of creation in a skirmish between the combatants of the War Behind the Stars.

But that was so long ago, humanity slumbered then, the longest peace any of them would know, even the surviving warlocks of the Great War- Crowley and List, Rasputin and Lovecraft, do not remember how they escaped their imprisonment and laboured under the bondage of the Coven (of Ancient and All Knowing Creators of This World and All Worlds) and their minions, or how they were forced to war against the Hunters and the Great Ravening One Umbolk, the fabulous Yog-Sothoth and his twisted spawn, Ind the Un-Maker in all his mad splendor and the countless other monsters.

Humanity has returned to their blighted world, returned to the wars which sleep has not driven from their minds, returned to scrape and survive and fight against the remnants of the Earths part in the war. In this charnel realm, littered with dead worlds and dead gods, all under the burning eye of Yi-Shamyr who stares through space as they stare through our souls, guarding this rotting patch of a battlefield which stretches until the end of time.

The Charnel Realm isn't as messy as it once was. Littered with the corpses and remains of vast, leviathanic creatures which must have one point soared between the stars to do the dark bidding of their masters, most have been cleared. Devoured by smaller, parasitic space-faring beasts, drawn into the gravity wells of planets and colliding with their surface, or snagged by Yi-Shamyr for a snack. Xon-Shan-Tekili was the largest and one of the last to be defeated, the size of a planet with a hide as thick as the mantel of the Earth and as tangible as Dark Matter, their remains will likely take millennia to be consumed to dispersed to the cosmos. Oolor-Xon'g was equally massive, though its habit of phasing in and out of visual space makes the corpse a lot harder to track, and in any event it probably won't survive its latest journey around Yi.

Still the name has stuck, and it suits too. Every observable planet in the system bears the scars of its part in the War behind the Stars. Venus is now under the the control of a highly heat resistant, gaseous entity whose intense light-show can be seen from Earth with a good set of binoculars. It took some effort to drive off Cthugha's avatars, but those brainless aspects wouldn't have known what to do with the place! Unbeknownst to Earthlings of course its efforts in uplifting and enslaving the huge crawling, beetle-like creatures which dominated the cavernous interior of Venus have paid off, they've finally discovered a sprawling city complex in the upper mantle of the planet, seemingly built in the long-long-ago when the planets atmosphere wasn't quite so industrially toxic. Of course the Cthonians (close cousins of Earths burrowers, though immensely large and intelligent in comparison) are absolutely livid about some smug, aethereal thing messing with their spawning pit. They turned the surface into a wasteland to drive off those star headed freaks, and they can easily take care of this newcomer and its pets.

Mars was another possession of those "star headed freaks", the drying of its once vast oceans driving them to the suitably wet- if uncomfortably hot and humid, ancient Earth. The remnants at the Poles of the planet did hang on for a few more million years, burrowing into ice caves, cultivating the black slime which seeped up through the fissures deep underground for food. Nyarlethotep eventually found them on the brink of collapse, degenerated tribes crawling through the fast drying canons, cannibalizing their spores/offspring. They saw a brief Renaissance under this dark saviour, in which they built for it mountains and monuments and offered dark rights to the distant stars they didn't even remember their forebears descending from. Of course Nyarlethotep has a short attention span, especially back before they met humanity and adjusted to our mayfly like existences, so eventually these Elder Things were abandoned, their bodies and cities buried beneath the sand of their barren home.

Being the only inhabited world during the Convergence the Earth was more thoroughly devastated, whilst Venus and Mars saw equally intense battles for domination only the most OCD astronomers would be able to identify the scars left on their surfaces. Earth however was twisted almost beyond recognition, a freezing and shattered world barely kept alive by the faint heat of the demon star it has been tethered too. Humanity is a young race, and often interfered with in its youthful naivety, but these death-driven mayflies have proved to be infinitely entertaining to the Earth-bound deities who have enslaved and exploited them over the millennia. After all it was their desire to kill millions for their mortal rulers which drove the warlocks and sorcerers of the Earth to delve into dark texts, some dating back to before the first stones of Ur or Iram, they bound the souls of their fellow species to torture and thousands of years of servitude so they had the power to serve masters who they could smite with a snap of their fingers! Pacts were made with minor things which offered knowledge and instruction, the natural physics of the local space-time were disrupted, more powerful things began to notice this anomaly, and more powerful pacts were made as a result. Humanity surely had no concept of what they were dealing with, they would never have risked their home and all the lives on it to win such a petty conflict.

The destruction of the Moon will give the Earth a ring of its own, which will prove useful in keeping out some of the larger and less spatially aware extraterrestrial threats. The closest one is probably Mneme. Oceans and atmospheres can be clearly observed, even by someone with good eye-sight, and concentrations of points of light suggest some form of civilization on the planetoid. Whatever is up their they seem to be incapable of contacting us, though some meteorites studied by local authorities on ancient dialects almost look like they've writing on them, a message of greeting, or an insult directed at the nature of our progenitor?

The Mi-Go know of course, at least the control nodes have directed contact with the inhabitants of their new neighbour to see if they could help them get their rocks to Yuggoth. The local primitives were a bit more accommodating then the flesh things back on Earth, but they proved to be ignorant and just as prone to violence when confused. The control nodes have been looking further afield, the hot planet sets extremities on fire when one gets too close, the old ruins on Mars are full of old junk and drones tend to disappear when they get sent down the frozen passages. The new arrivals, Nemsis as observant humans call it, has been far more useful and a delegation is en route to collect the necessary rocks and other materials to finish a new transportation portal.

The Rhamnousians of Nemesis are recent arrivals to this system, settling on the third planet soon after the Unconscionable Things had grown bored of their new toys and pulled their forces to some other forsaken corner of the cosmos. Parasitic in nature their world was similarly captured and devastated by the powers that be some millennia ago, and since then they have served the masters of all creation like so many billions of others. A splinter of the greater race, a regiment one billion strong descended on the devastated and enslaved its original inhabitants as the crawled from the caverns and shelters they had hidden within for generations. Of course they've not made this too obvious to their fungoid visitors, claiming that the pale, fleshy lumps which squeal at them are merely an engineered servile race to their ruling caste. The Mi-Go drones aren't too observant of course, and the control nodes couldn't care less about how their new business partners got to where they are. What they're less observant of is the peril their friends find themselves in, on a collision course with Mars. Human astronomers had realised this decades ago, but the Rhamnousians have only copped onto it recently. Solutions are not forthcoming, and unless someone comes up with something soon then they may be forced to more desperate ends, they may be forced to ask for help from their former benefactors.
So on mars, did war of the worlds, barsoom, and every other pulp Martian civilization existed on mars and did any of the Martian civilizations escape to earth?

KapiTod

Banned
So on mars, did war of the worlds, barsoom, and every other pulp Martian civilization existed on mars and did any of the Martian civilizations escape to earth?

No. The Elder Things from At the Mountains of Madness colonised Mars in the ancient past, but most of them fled to Earth when the planet started to go tits up. A few of the more crotchety types held out for a while longer until Nyarlethotep showed up and started messing with them.

Big N would have them build the Martian Pyramids, the Face of Mars etc. And he'd bring that same bored cruelty to early humans when he appeared as the Black Pharaoh.

Status
Not open for further replies.