Map Thread XVIII

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by FesteringSpore, Jul 28, 2018.

1. CourageousLife The Guy Who Did the Thing

upload_2018-9-13_22-14-6.png
    Project I've been working on for a while. Don't really have an aim or direction for it, just kind of a sandbox for ideas and worldbuilding (more specifically, historybuilding). As always, any tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. CourageousLife The Guy Who Did the Thing

To give a bit of context to this:

Obviously, its loosely based on the history of the British Isles (though I plan on bringing in some more Japanese influences later on). There are two major cultural groups - the Himbra-Cantones (analogous to the Anglo-Saxons) and the Gen Myr (Celts/Irish). Himbren is similar to England, the upper kingdom in the Kingdom of the Dahlese Islands. Dahlen, Ainen, and Surden are all ruled by Dukes (or Duchesses), nobility that is subordinate to the crown of Himbren. Miren was a later addition to the Kingdom as it was carved out of the historic Kingdom of Gen Myr. The title of Prince was bestowed on the ruler of Miren to appease its peoples, but hierarchically the Prince of Miren is on the same level as the rest of the Dukes.

3. HowAboutThisForAName Manservant to Melon the Mischievous Mog

17 year old boy (Gasparu Cantoni) and 19 year old girl (Gnese Negroni) apprehended by Assistente Sallaveri and Agente Vincenty at Santa Ghjulia Stazione in Central Aiacciu. Officers were alerted to the suspects defacing a Corsican train map with red paint and proceeded to apprehend them. Negroni is already known to police as a simpatizzante with the Esèrcitu Industriale di Corsica (EIC) and has been charged previously with rioting, but was discharged with a formal warning. Cantoni is new meat, and told Sallaveri and Vincenty that Negroni seduced him into the misbehavior. The officers were skeptical and both youths were detained at Aiacciu Commissariat di Polizia and their parents notified.

Rapportu di sustintamentu #205101, 11/06/2020, Cuntrollu Stazione Tumasgiu Bettolace.

NOTE: Please forgive my horrible Corsican.

[​IMG]

4. Bleh Well-Known Member

I sure am glad I refreshed the page before posting my long-ass response on how the scenario would play out. As such...

Response in this thread.

Skallagrim likes this.
  5. Bob Hope rarely online

I have a feeling that "if France suddenly disappeared" [ISOT maybe?] that they would try to survive as a unified nation but would soon degenerate into bickering nations at the mercy of the British and Spanish Empires

Bleh likes this.
  6. DubstepGamer758 cool cool

I'm not sure what you mean by convergent borders here, but for the WWII thing, it's the day before OTL WWII.

I was gonna combine and change some of the state boundaries but it completely skipped my mind until after I posted it.

I'll keep that in mind next time I make a Middle Eastern map.

Alright thank you for the criticism. :)

7. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

For all time 1978.png
    As a bit of a sequel to the first map I posted here, here's the world from For All Time by Chester A. Arthur, circa 1978
    It's not a nice place to live

8. SaveAtlacamani Napoleon the Red Donor

The 21st US president Chester A. Arthur? Did he write alternate history novels?

9. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

No, that was a user on Soc.history.what-if who just had that as his user name

He wrote For All Time to be a world where everything that can go wrong does go wrong, starting with FDR suffering a fatal stroke on December 20, 1941, leaving Henry Wallace in charge of the country during World War II. Disasters ensue throughout the 20th century.

Historyman 14 and SaveAtlacamani like this.
  10. SaveAtlacamani Napoleon the Red Donor

Is there any democratic nation left? Also, who nuked a random area of desert on the Iran-Turkmenistani border?

11. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

A lot of Commonwealth nations are still democracies, though they're also armed to the teeth, some complete with nuclear arsenals. The United States, while still divided along race lines, ravaged by militias, and generally chaotic, is still democratic.

As for the nuke, that was a product of the 1973 Sino-Soviet nuclear war, where China- with its comparatively tiny arsenal- nuked every Central Asian capital (I was surprised to learn that's where Turkmenistan's capital is), as many Siberian points of interest as they could, and managed to get one 3-megaton bomb into Moscow. The USSR responded with total nuclear annihilation, as well as follow-up chemical and biological attacks. 100 million Soviets and 540 million Chinese died.

And that's not an isolated incident. ITTL, World War 2 ended with the use of 6 nuclear bombings (on Lepzig, Nuremberg, Berlin, Niigata, Wakanai, and Fukuoka), which had the psychological effect of making nukes seem less scary and more practical, never mind the consequences. President Dewey's decision to put an end to the Hukbalahap with the use of tactical nukes in early October 1953 pretty much normalizes their use in future warfare. The Sino-Soviet War was just that taken to its logical extreme.

Aqua817, Tangle, Crying and 1 other person like this.
  12. Historyman 14 Well-Known Member

I remember reading that a long time ago.

What...what happened to Korea and Vicksburg? Korea I figure a result from the war between China and the USSR, but still.

How are the major powers holding up. (USA, The Commonwealth, the USSR.)

How the Islamic World dealing with what seem to be the Holy Cities gone.

How many Americans packed their bags and ran for Canada and Australia?

13. ETGalaxy Long live the King of America!

So Murphy's Law: Alternate History Edition?

14. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

Kim-Jong Il decided to try and build a nuclear doomsday device called the Glorious People's Revolutionary Hammer to threaten the west into handing over Japan and Manchuria, since they have Korean populations, obviously they are all part of Korea as well. The rest of the world responded with a nuclear carpet bombing, turning Korea into a wasteland.

Vicksburg, Jackson, and all surrounding communities were turned into this timeline's version of Pripyat when a shoddily-made mass-production nuclear facility, during a routine start-up test, malfunctioned and suffered a meltdown.

The US is kind of in the shitter at this point, with racial tensions at an all-time high, militias everywhere, a flu pandemic, an energy crisis exacerbated by said nuclear meltdown, and the major 1980 presidential candidates being California Governor Charles Manson and Pennsylvania Governor Jim Jones (yes, seriously). The Commonwealth is doing okay-ish for the most part, although things are a bit awkward now that England voted to leave the U.K. The USSR is pretty much the world's sole superpower, even after the Sino-Soviet War, although the man in charge now is none other than Andrei Chikatilo.

They'd formed a NATO-style defense pact called the Jerusalem League in response to Soviet aggression early on, and were doing mostly okay up until 1975. Chikatilo ordered nuclear strikes on many of the major cities, as well as the High Nasser Dam, to destabilize the region and ensure the USSR gained a monopoly on the world's oil supply. The region is now not doing well.

Probably a few million, at least.

Crying, Logothétes and Historyman 14 like this.
  15. Mr. Bubbles Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

ETGalaxy likes this.
  16. Logothétes Professional Time Waster & Party Crasher

That TL was so damn morbidly hilarious. It's like Q. Tarantino decided to write an alternate history scenario (other than Inglourious Basterds, of course). Great map btw. Definitely one of the most detailed ones of this alt history I've seen. Though I'm pretty sure China should be in a much rougher shape than this. To the point of, like, not even having a color key on the map.

Crying and Historyman 14 like this.
  17. Historyman 14 Well-Known Member

I think I remember reading that, and the outcome on that now...

Besides all that, think you might do a 'anniversary' map of For All Time in 2005? I know the TL ends at 1978, as is the year of your map, but it would be 'interesting' (In the Chinese sense.) of what it might look like by then.

18. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

I'm sorry, but Irish Wales always makes me :mad:.

That's like having a Dutch Sweden, or French Romania. Britons and Gaels are not the same!

If people are going to do this, please, in future, at least have an Irish-influenced Wales instead. Please.

</rant>

Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine. :oops:

The Professor and SaveAtlacamani like this.
  19. Ivoshafen Just A Man From Gondor

I mean, I doubt anyone is saying that Brythons and Gaels are the same here, the Gaels and the Anglos aren't the same but that doesn't change the history of English rule over Ireland,

It seems to be an imperialistic ruling, not a cultural unity, which admittedly I would agree with you if it was the latter

But I think we need to pay close attention to the phrasing of the "Empire of Ireland", it's not making attempts to show the Welsh or even Scots as an equal footing, it would be different if it was something like "the Celtic Empire" or the "Irish Crownlands" or "the United Realm of Ireland, Wales, Highlands, and the Lowlands,"

Just seems like Irish imperialism to me, which is an interesting outlook on the concept,

20. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

England, the Netherlands and Norway are all Germanic nations. Do you consider them to be all the same?

Welsh, Cornish and Breton are a different branch of the Celtic languages to Gaelic. This isn't like comparing Spanish and Portuguese - it's more like comparing German and Danish.

Also, they aren't Celtic nations either :winkytongue:. They speak Celtic languages, true, but they are not themselves Celtic - the Celts lived on the continent. The Welsh are Britons, whilst the Irish are Gaels. They weren't considered Celtic until the 18th Century. The whole thing is basically a romantic/nationalistic invention.

Damian0358 and The Professor like this.