Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my mind I haven't done enough work since my last post in the WIP Map Thread to warrant a second update but I'm going to be away for the next three days so I thought that'd be excuse enough to post this in the proper Map Thread.

KTIEUyG.png

Mein Gott...

You know, while I really like to inspire people with my work (Because I often do it with exactly that in mind) , worldA not really being the cradle of border creativity and this is a really nice map overall, it really isn't nice to see stuff copypasted from my map, sometimes even without regard to mistakes or unique borders...

upload_2018-8-30_22-40-33.png

So here's a list of all stuff I noticed. Usually it's the smaller details that reveals it, which starts right at the start:

As a German, we have 3 "City States" of 1million+ in our country which is a kind of special thing of Germany and it has left me with a strange obsession to put a lot of Cities in a seperate Reichsland status because of their size. These include: Vilnius, Minsk, Kiev, Vienna and Riga (Captial cities, somewhat legitimate, but out of place, discussed later) but a lot of non-captial cities such as Budapest, Warsaw, Prague, Tallinn, Lübeck and Danzig. The irregularity/fact that these city states haven't been placed with thought is revealed when you consider that far larger cities like Moscow, London, or East Asian Port cities are completely left out

Then we have Lithuania. This is, among a few other very similar incidents, kinda a death argument.
Lithuania is split into four, which obviously looks out of place in such a large centralized state which took over the russian governorates. This is because I, solely for Nightrise's maps, split up the governorates of kaunas and vilnius among uzyed borders because for lithuania as a seperate country, it makes sense to have smaller subdivisions.
A similar division exists since a few days in Belarus as well even though i didn't add them on the 11danubias map yet.

Next comes Austrian Silesia, which I personally altered when working on the several WorldA maps.

Transdonau/ Greater Hungary is a similar catch.
https://www.deviantart.com/valdoreworks/journal/Nightrise-The-Transdonaufrage-Question-736570439
I discussed the Partition of Hungary into smaller, suited for unitary states partition, a while ago on deviantart.
I also already included it on the QBAM wip on which you can also see that I included a part of red transylvania in the seperate yellow one.
Another "death argument" (if the partition one isn't one already) is that you made the *exact* same mistake I did on the Prime Timeline map (which btw is fixed on the Greater German Empire version),
missing a pixel on the romania border which was caused by the dark blue reichsbund color.

Next comes unified Hesse, Thuringia and Saxony Anhalt. Now while this is a thing on Nazi German maps and Post-ww2 maps, it isn't the case on pre-1918 maps which ovbiously seems to be the POD because we have russian governorates, the austro-hungarian border ad a unified togoland.
Similarily, Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen is missing which in nightrise was due to a kreis district reform in 1879 which again wouldn't be shown on OTL pre-1933/35 maps.

The map uses the exact same pixels as the western border of the greater german empire (#4). Plus the italian states but that's more of a nitpick thats quite debatable.

German morocco again is a completely different thing.
Germany afaik never wanted solely north morocco OTL. That's a pure nightrise thing. wanna know why? because someone (me) decided it looked good and because fuck logic.
The same applies to german gibraltar btw which also is included on your map.

A similar detail issue/"fail" is that you forgot to remove the sulu islands from german ownership. That's a nightrise thing as well for the same reasons. it was given in 1872 to germany from spain, meaning that there is no historical base of any (britain, germany, dutch etc) nation that owned sulu during any timespan except spain/philippines or later the US.

my last and again a quite obvious issue is that you took the subdivisions of borneo and new guinea from my map (probably the whole of indonesia but let's stay at the point) because these subdivisions, again, were solely created for nightrise based on its altered conditions (germany owned all of borneo and neuguinea - therefore no need for arbitrary colonial lines) and different TL.

I'm not exactly angry (again, since WorldA isn't really the cradle of human creativity so it's hard to go "claim" a few pixels that make a "bORdeR"), rather just hella confused because we just had a plagiarism discussion on this thread in this week.

Also inb4: I hope I didn't sound too harsh, my written english kinda sounds like a robot/encyclopedia article and I kinda have no confidence in my english because I think it sounds arrogant to other people. If anyone thinks that please note that this wasn't my intention because I'm not a person thats like "hah you stole from me you must be a scumbag".

On the other hand, I got to leak some of the "Danube Monarchy: Reichsbund&Colonies" master map WIP plus the QBAM WIP to show I'm still working on it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As someone who loves the WorldA format, I have to say that the "remixability" of it is one of the biggest draws for it. But I do agree that your detailed analysis shows widespread copypasting, Papua and Hungary being the most telling examples.

Oh and this thread shouldn't devolve into a "what's the worth of WorldA" debate like it occasionally does in situations like this

As someone who loves the WorldA format, I have to say that the "remixability" of it is one of the biggest draws for it. But I do agree that your detailed analysis shows widespread copypasting, Papua and Hungary being the most telling examples.

Oh and this thread shouldn't devolve into a "what's the worth of WorldA" debate like it occasionally does in situations like this
I agree with you, especially regarding the worlda “worth” part.
I did mention that since it is “just” a worlda i can’t really go all “u stole muh stuff!!1!1!1!!!!”; And just the “did plagiarism/the forbidden thing” and “we literally just had this issue two days ago“ were my reasoning why I did it.

Quite frankly, I'm just tired of Greater Germanies in general at this point. Nightrise is probably the most interesting take on it, but one can only see so many versions of the same idea before the whole concept gets sort of dull.

Nothing against anyone's work, though.

Quite frankly, I'm just tired of Greater Germanies in general at this point. Nightrise is probably the most interesting take on it, but one can only see so many versions of the same idea before the whole concept gets sort of dull.

Nothing against anyone's work, though.
There's always my solution

Greater Veldenz

Well... that's not the worst border gore I've ever seen.

Its not too bad for a first try, but its... well, the borders aren't pretty and I've seen what is, essentially, the premise of "linguistically-Germanic-in-origin countries unite and beat down everyone else in Europe" so many times before. I mean, props for some stuff - don't see a united Arab polity very much, despite how historically common it has been & it being an unfulfilled promise in WW1, and its always nice to see a Bulgaria-wank IMO - but a lot of what is there - particularly the Greece-wank - is just nothing interesting to me.

Yeah, this is meant to be more of a first draft than anything. As of now, Greece has lost Constantinople and Gallipoli (turkey), Italy (a new South Italian nation) Sicily (Independent) and Tunisia (Germany).

It's not meant to be all Germans against the world. Bulgaria, Greece and Hungary (rebelling from AH) aren't really German. Hell, the Entente still has Austria, which is 100% German.

And, where's the bordergore? I know there's a bit, but it's not really HRE- levels.

Last edited:
@Valdore Javorsky - I’m on mobile and the large size of your quote is bugging my phone so I can’t include it - but:

I absolutely used the borders of the Nightrise Universe for the internal borders of Europe and Indonesia. It was your “12 Danubes” map that inspired me to try and create a series of the Hegemony post about England I did last year. Personally, I copy and tweak pieces of borders from other users work in nearly every map I make as it’s just how I like to do it as I couldn’t imagine drawing things out pixel by pixel. I do draw original borders as well but again they’re usually based off of tracing a topography map. I even admit to this in the replies to the England Hegemony map I linked. I always use blank state maps and hadril’s historical maps to adapt the borders. In my mind, I’ve always considered it harmless, but obviously as it’s your content and it’s your wishes that count. I’m sincerely sorry for intentional but not ill-intentioned plagiarism!!

I’ll completely redraw the inner borders of Europe and Indonesia when I get home and before I publish the complete version. This isn’t a problem at all because obviously I love mapping just as much as anyone else here so I enjoy the process.

I’ve always admired your Nightrise series so it was nice to see some sneak peeks ;)

Hopefully you can interpret my um, “imitation” (cough stealing) as a sincerest form of flattery. Again, my apologies!

What happened to ND, SD, NE, IA, MI, MN, IN, WA and TN?

It's explained in the list itself (around #74 - 76 or so), but to sum up briefly - the Second Systemic War raged from Cairo to Ceres, real-deathed almost a billion people, and the US did not exactly come out covered in glory. It turns out that *spoilers* taking on most of the Eastern Hemisphere at once is a bad idea, and the result was a) tech confiscation up the wazoo b) free and fair (ish) independence referenda in all fifty six states.

Fourteen ended up leaving, both because the US economy was crap and because they disagreed with the political consensus on a variety of things (most notably on reco[1] policy) resulting in:

a) the Omaha Pact (that big swathe due north of center)

b) Alaska (now Canada)

c) Washington (very soon Canada)

d) Tennessee (really wishing it was connected by land to the Omaha Pact or Canada)

[1] AI that relies on mass-use of human memories, although at this point you should really just read the list

With the Great War delayed St. Petersburg alone would have around 3 million inhabitants compare that with not even 6 million Swedes around the same time.
I probably should have seen this coming: the date in the original post is the end of the war. WW1 started with the french invasion of Alsace-Lorraine in 1913 (They had Germany surrounded, and didn't think they'd resist). Sweden invaded in 1917 just after the successful February revolution. When November and the October revolution rolled around, Russia invested resources into keeping the USSR at bay, leading to them running away to the Caucasus and Ukraine. However, this allowed Sweden to take St Petersburg, which got the same treatment as OTL Koinigsberg in 1945.

Here is a fun little map I cooked up in a day. The map is set in World War Z the book only the POD is United States western hold of the Rockies fails leading to the Honolulu Conference failing without a strong US leading it. While this doesn't destroy the United States it weakens them significantly. They are at one time left with just Hawaii and parts of California. This leads to a lot less of the population surviving and making a much slower pace on retaking the land. This allows some of the small surviving states east of the Rockies more time to build a regional identity away from the US and leaves Cuba the only economic power house in Northern America to fill the gap post war.

De9WvGN.png

Last edited:
Here is a fun little map I cooked up in a day. The map is set in World War Z the book only the POD is United States western hold of the Rockies fails leading to the Honolulu Conference failing without a strong US leading it. While this doesn't destroy the United States it weakens them significantly. They are at one time left with just Hawaii and parts of California. This leads to a lot less of the population surviving and making a much slower pace on retaking the land. This allows some of the small surviving states east of the Rockies more time to build a regional identity away from the US and leaves Cuba the only economic power house in Northern America to fill the gap post war.
De9WvGN.png

Interesting idea, World War Z doesn't get enough credit as an alternate history and I love to see how their Cuba might expand. One things though, shouldn't the small statesnorth of Florida be much smaller and more numerous?

Interesting idea, World War Z doesn't get enough credit as an alternate history and I love to see how their Cuba might expand. One things though, shouldn't the small statesnorth of Florida be much smaller and more numerous?
Well it actually had a couple factors going into that decision. First in the book it was stated that a lot of the small states could not of survive without the Us's airdrops so their would already be less than normal. Also factor in that this map is a 100 years after would lead to the consolidation of a lot of them back into the US or more independent. Since this map only shows Cuba's influence their could be more. I imagine their would be a couple more northern than this but Cuba only found about 2 in the south that managed to survive on their own till they got there. Remember in the book it took the US about 10 years to clear the country and that was with most of the west coast working in full force. Cuba would be doing it a lot slower since it had a smaller economy. This would lead to the states having to be on their own for a lot longer leading to more troubles and increased chances for failure since they would have less supplies and food for longer periods of time.

De9WvGN.png

I love this very much. I read/listen to World War Z and the Survival Guide in High School a lot, so I enjoy this AU with the world either waiting out the dead to rot, or in the US's case, having a much harder time taking back the mainland. And a Cuban wank is always a nice thing to see.

Do the Cubans have the secret Coca-Cola formula and thus selling Kola Grande?

Could you do more with the POD?

Status
Not open for further replies.