Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been going back and forth on this all morning and I'm still genuinely unsure whether this is technically a shitpost or not.

The Kingdom of Rohan in the reign of Theoden, 769

ZOk4zMD.png

• POD is the services of Hengist and Horsa being secured by Syagrius against the Franks, rather than by Vortigern against the Picts.
  • The Saxon and Alan mercenaries hired by the Roman successor state of Soissons manage to halt the Frankish incursion into northern Gaul and are granted the right to settle in Armorica: over the next century or so, a bizarre hybrid nomadic Saxon/Alan culture centred around horsemanship and Arian Christianity arises, which eventually breaks free of the overlordship of Soissons and overruns the remaining areas under Romano-Gallic control.
  • The ensuing Kingdom of Rohan (taking its name from the locality in Armorica where the Kingship is situated) is able to conquer much of Aquitania for a time, but is gradually pushed back towards its heartland by the Emirate of Cordoba in the late seventh and early eighth centuries.
Did the Islamic invaders decide the best way to cross the Pyrenees was to go up the mountains rather than around?

I half wonder if it would be consideredtrollish to say I feel the best would be Ulaid to be Scottish. Or perhaps just all of the places here. Really though, I can't help but feel these borders would be showing the Protestant majority areas in Ulster, but before those from the rest of the island poured in. I also am rather.... Well, let's just say there is a reason the Channel Islands should not be French. Namely, roughly a thousand years divergence. @Drex, could you link to where you originally posted the map, be it on this thread or in the WIP thread. I imagine people had a lot of comments and questions for you back then and I am curious as to what responses you came up with. I can also just imagine how many changes you made to Brazil between the maps. I am quiet surprised Nicuargua is making those claims on Costa Rica and not on Honduras. And why the Czechs give the Germans such a huge area of autonomy. Gerrymandering works so much better, though perhaps they are rooting on the Germans not uniting.

About Ireland, British authorities stablished borders based on rough approximations and then did a population exchange with the Irish. The Channel Islands were conquered by France during TTL's equivalent of WW3 (Neither world war was as hard-fought, intense or global as either of our world) as they were undefensible. Here's the original map if you want further contrast. Nicaragua has always claimed those lands as they belonged to the Spanish province of Nicaragua but during the 1820's the area ended up in Costa Rican hands because it was closer to San Jose than Managua. The Franco-Spanish proposed the Czech to simply give up the territory to some kind of Sudeten Republic, but the Czech stubbornly refused and ultimately the Bourbon leaders decided to retract from that proposal not wanting the possibility of a German rsurgence.

I don't want to derail the thread too much with this, but I'm interested in a roundtable with other cartography users here. Should there be any conventions on WIP posting? We did set up a thread to avoid this spam posting in the first place. Or, am I being too intrusive on the harmless posting behavior of other users? If the conversation evolves maybe it can warrant a thread in Non-Political Chat to reach an unofficial consensus. Until then, I hope no offense is caused by this post Gian, like I said, you're enormously good at what you do, but personally I find the quantity of your map posts exceeding the value of their quality.
I'm hardly a cartographer - despite previous attempts, the business of life inevitably intrudes on the few WIPs I have floating around my computer - but I personally don't mind the WIPs that much, with a few caveats. I don't think you're being too intrusive, seeing as there's already a WIP thread, but I also don't think there's much harm in someone posting a map and then expanding out from there. There've been quite a few quality maps that started with a simple idea and then developed into something more complex and beautiful after input and questions about the map in the thread that led the artist to want to keep adding to it. However, I will say that WIPs that have details like unfinished coastlines or rivers jutting out into the void, it distracts from the eye and makes it difficult to comment because one can't know if one detail will later be explained by the addition of another. For instance, with Gian's excellent Maryland map, I initially was under the impression that Susan-Mary was a Maryland penal colony but the later addition of New England and the New English colors made it seem connected to New England and completely shifts the notions I had started to build about Maryland. This makes it hard to maintain a consistent understanding of the world and harder still to ask questions because I know that any questions I have could easily be made redundant by a later image. Of course, it's been fun to see the world develop as well. I think generally, a good rule of thumb for posting WIPs is to ask oneself, regardless of whether or not one plans to add to the map later, whether the map could be a finished product. It could be a finished product that's a bit rough around the edges, or perhaps it doesn't meet the cartographer's vision perfectly, but could it be the last map the cartographer posts and not leave the average denizen of the map thread scratching their heads? This is where the coasts and rivers things come into play: if someone posted a standalone map where a dotted line or hard border just trailed off from the country without context, my first question would be about that. But a map of a country followed by another map that provides further detail on neighbors and internal divisions? That's A-OK in my book.

France could be the fascist North Korea of Europe but without the worship of the leaders but the country can be very catholic

I would say: France can be the fascist China, with Euskara (the Basque Nation) and/or Catalonia being North Korea. Piedmont (northwestern Italy, the region including Torino) is another alternative.

If you have good memory you'll probably remember a map similar to this one. That's because it's from the same TL, but I re-worked the whole map, giving it a more aesthetic approach and all that, but it's essentially the same map and I feel I'm plagiarising myself and cheating on the people who liked the first map. Welp.

dda47na-d12c9978-14ac-4280-8560-59c4fd901422.png

Of course I remember the map, and I still love it! And I love it that Germany remains unchanged and unabashedly balkanised!

But what changes did you make? Any border/national changes?

Also, do I remember correctly that you said most of Europe consisted of constitutional monarchies (esp. Germany and Central Eastern Europe)?

Do you now possess any more information or material about the Marxist Revolution/German Civil War of the 1960s? Or about the Great Wars (AFAIR, there were three of 'em)?

Been going back and forth on this all morning and I'm still genuinely unsure whether this is technically a shitpost or not.

The Kingdom of Rohan in the reign of Theoden, 769

ZOk4zMD.png

• POD is the services of Hengist and Horsa being secured by Syagrius against the Franks, rather than by Vortigern against the Picts.
  • The Saxon and Alan mercenaries hired by the Roman successor state of Soissons manage to halt the Frankish incursion into northern Gaul and are granted the right to settle in Armorica: over the next century or so, a bizarre hybrid nomadic Saxon/Alan culture centred around horsemanship and Arian Christianity arises, which eventually breaks free of the overlordship of Soissons and overruns the remaining areas under Romano-Gallic control.
  • The ensuing Kingdom of Rohan (taking its name from the locality in Armorica where the Kingship is situated) is able to conquer much of Aquitania for a time, but is gradually pushed back towards its heartland by the Emirate of Cordoba in the late seventh and early eighth centuries.

Yes, but who is King of Gonder?

I've got another Crumpleverse map ready to go. Normally I do a specific, shorter writeup for AH but this writeup took long enough to write that I hope nobody takes offence at me recycling it.

Outer space, even to a nascent interstellar civilization, is a vast prospect. The Milky Way is very, very large indeed. This takes on a different meaning when said civilization has the ability to travel between stars at a rate human perception would consider fairly prompt. The vastness is no longer a barrier. Instead the vastness hides wonders, and opportunities. Even when human habitable worlds are rare, such worlds with pre-existing biospheres even more so, there are a multitude of stars and an endless number of planets. Terrestrial-adjacent planets, rare gems of the cosmos, might as well be commonplace as far as humans conceive. 4-dimensional drives have a way of making the lightyears seem like yards.

The 4-D drive, the crumple drive, enabled and continues to enable this relationship between humankind and the galaxy at large. The first extrasolar colonies were planned, built, and peopled on the scale of decades. The targets of such efforts had to be precisely chosen on the basis of distance and the effort required to establish a human-safe biosphere. Infrastructure was established by automated construction years before a human even set foot on the surface of these planets. It would be said latterly that first wave human colonisation was driven by somewhat cruel equations. The creation and propogation of 4-D transition technology in the early 22nd century allowed humans to take a different approach.

New Mercia was one of a huge wave of colonies founded in the early 22nd century as the crumple drive suddenly brought many worlds within reach. It was also one of the first privately established colonial enterprises, as the affordability and accessibility of settling other worlds drastically increased. It was a foundation that relied on the newfound scale of humanity’s reach, for what the colonists sought to create was rural idyll. The New Mercia Project wished to make the British notion of the pre-industrial arcadian countryside a reality, and when dozens, perhaps hundreds of worlds were opening up to human reach would it be such a waste of space to enact this idea on the canvas of an entire planet?

The planet that became New Mercia was already approaching human tolerance levels in most areas. However, it lacked any complex biosphere outside its bodies of water, presenting a minor challenge and a great opportunity. The Mercians effectively terraformed the planet, with a little bioengineering adjustment here and there, though one might say large swathes of the planet were instead Britanniformed. Then a controversial decision was taken within the colony’s first two years of official existence; the colonists petitioned UNSA to ban all interstellar trade within their solar system. It was thought that with the rapid technological development of humanity it would prove impossible to retain a ‘real’ rural character, for with the development of the 4-D drive who knew what else would transform human civilization practically overnight?

This was a decision that the next two generations, the first born on New Mercia itself, grew to resent intensely. This was not a compact they had made together but a society that they were born into, a society increasingly disconnected from humankind at large. The colony’s hydroponic farms ensured nutritional independence but over the decades many pieces of equipment became difficult to replace as they became damaged or developed problems. It felt to many like living in a society deliberately impoverishing itself to ensure that its immersion wasn’t broken, and that the choice to continue a rural lifestyle was more meaningful if choice was involved. The ban on trade was finally overturned after 53 years, directing the colony more along the lines of a continuous, consensual commitment than an enforced societal level roleplay.

New Mercia remains a planet in keeping with that realignment of its core principles. No settlement on the planet exists beyond the size of a large village, with the spaceport at Tamword being the largest ‘urban’ site on the entire world of New Mercia. It’s now a society deeply connected with the rest of the human sphere, but that connection is on the population’s terms. This extends to activities and technologies likely to give the original colonists conniptions, not the least including anti-grav racing taking place on the planet’s surface. Thanks to the Lightspeed Classic New Mercia is perhaps one of the most well known human worlds of them all in the 28th century. The thinking behind taking part in the Classic is that living at a slow-pace doesn’t have to mean everything has to be that slow, which goes to summarise a lot of modern New Mercia in general.

the_planet_new_mercia_by_daeres_dda6zad-fullview.jpg

Of course I remember the map, and I still love it! And I love it that Germany remains unchanged and unabashedly balkanised!

But what changes did you make? Any border/national changes?

Also, do I remember correctly that you said most of Europe consisted of constitutional monarchies (esp. Germany and Central Eastern Europe)?

Do you now possess any more information or material about the Marxist Revolution/German Civil War of the 1960s? Or about the Great Wars (AFAIR, there were three of 'em)?
For borders, you can simply pick the previous map and compare. I changed many things, probably too much for me to remember. I left a link to the previous map in a post up there. Yes, most of Europe is monarchist, with the republics being Belarus, Bosnia, Karelia, the Caucasus (an Emirate without Emir), Czechia, Slovakia, mainland Greece, and all Russian states except the yellow one, oh, and Ireland and Switzerland.

I still have to write a lot about the German marxist revolution (communist ITTL took a grimmer turn anyways). I have the lore of the first world war complete, but I would have to translate it to English. I did the initial stages of the second, and the third is mostly on thin air.

I've got another Crumpleverse map ready to go. Normally I do a specific, shorter writeup for AH but this writeup took long enough to write that I hope nobody takes offence at me recycling it.

This is a really cool concept, but some of the text is really hard on the eyes. Making it not all caps and tightening the kerning would make it much more readable.

Cross-posting a WIP of mine from the map thread. From the same TL as this tease (https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-xviii.448574/page-349#post-18557358) and this (depressingly still not entirely finished) map (https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-xviii.448574/page-64#post-17521242)

(damn those bracketed links are ugly. How do you embed links in a word or phrase?)

Try working on one map for over a year. And then try not to loose it when the hard drive on your new laptop kicks the bucket taking the laptop with it, and loosing you 6 weeks of work on said map in the process.

Fortunately, I didn't loose much (uni exams kept me distracted for most of last month), and as I'd only mapped those regions a week or two before, the memories of borders and subdivisions I'd drawn were still fresh, and I was able to re draw those sections mostly from memory, which limited the loss somewhat, though the loss still rankles. The most infuriating thing is that I was planning to post the part I ultimately lost on the map thread the very day my laptop died. If that damned laptop had lasted just a day longer, I'd've posted the region I was most pleased with that day, then just re-download it from the site a few days later from my old laptop once I realised the problem on the new one was permanent. Oh well, what can you do.

So here, have my best approximation for what a part of the (ITTL practically former by this point) US looked like before all my progress on it was lost, pending a few border tweaks to make it look a little more like the original I remember;
upload_2019-6-26_0-34-15-png.468021

Backstory for why there's a big 'ol communist state in the US rust belt (and associated puppets in Kentucky and Iowa) will come when I finally get round to actually posting the overall map and kicking off the TL, though when that happens I can't tell you.

Cross-posting a WIP of mine from the map thread. From the same TL as this tease (https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-xviii.448574/page-349#post-18557358) and this (depressingly still not entirely finished) map (https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-xviii.448574/page-64#post-17521242)

(damn those bracketed links are ugly. How do you embed links in a word or phrase?)
You can embed links by typing the text you want inside the link, that text will be considered part of the link and then you can delete the rest.

Example:

this tease (https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-xviii.448574/page-349#post-18557358)

this tease (hthis teasettps://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-xviii.448574/page-349#post-18557358)

this tease (this tease)

this tease

You can embed links by typing the text you want inside the link, that text will be considered part of the link and then you can delete the rest.

Example:

this tease (https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-xviii.448574/page-349#post-18557358)

this tease (hthis teasettps://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-xviii.448574/page-349#post-18557358)

this tease (this tease)

this tease

Thanks, been wondering how to do that for ages.

You can also do it by highlighting the text you want to hyperlink, then clicking the hyperlink button and pasting in your hyperlink to the wee window

Status
Not open for further replies.