Map Thread XVIII

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by FesteringSpore, Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill Kicked

Yep. I'm not divulging any more details other than that.

2. KolyenuKS not a farmer I think

Here's a map of a post ww3 New Mexico

Attached Files:

ETGalaxy and Bleh like this.
  3. RoxyLikeAPuma Member

French-Speaking Population in the Federated States of Dixie by county

French Population.png

4. GDIS Pathe Well-Known Member

cross post
    TL191 Thing.png

5. KapiTod Fuhrerreich was my idea!

Teddy Roosevelt in Dublin be like

Anti-imperialists in Dublin be like

AlternateMan, Bennett, Bleh and 9 others like this.
  6. zalezsky A Slavic Swine

I liked your scenario so much I made a little tribute hope you're not angry with me for hijacking your scenario. Can be seen here on dA
    [​IMG]

7. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill Kicked

Not really mad ofc. Just amused at this little ASB piece. At least I'm glad I got your creative juices flowing.

BTW, "Greenmount" was actually how I anglicized Vermont. I'll go into the specific details in this world once I release the whole thing.

8. zalezsky A Slavic Swine

I Russified most of the city names as best as I could as some were untranslatable so it's a double translation I guess between us haha

9. Aqua817 Eternally Exhausted

No Georgia, 2/10

Just kidding, lookin great dude!

10. HowAboutThisForAName Manservant to Melon the Mischievous Mog

First of all thanks for all the questions! I really quite adore them as it's a strong indicator that the map's engaging people.

Thanks! Yes that is exactly right, we’d probably find some evidence of such a civilisation but the concept of an advanced bronze age society getting buried beneath the sand and jungle is pretty neat to me. Both, there’s a little multicoloured ribbon above and below the name of the group in question which includes all the colours of those coastal entities (I probably could’ve made the ribbon clearer or thicker, admittedly).

They're certainly pretty damn fun to make, thanks a bunch! The base map is an Ice Age Worlda that I modified to be less blocky, I'll attach it below.

Well languages aren't my strong suit, but the languages of at least Wahlimarz would be somewhat like the Berber languages, but without a noun-case (or potentially any case). So there'd be no distinction between 'I' and 'me', one word would suffice in both instances. Given the theory of Berbers becoming Basque becoming Irish I'm tickled by the prospect of them sounding like Irishmen thousands of years before they came to exist, but that'd be a bit silly. Also some very prototypical Semitic influences, as I'm going with the idea that Egypt and such would be at least partially proto-Semitic, so Irshan probably speaks some variation of that. I'm more or less of the opinion that written language doesn't exist, though some early hieroglyphics among the priesthood may be extant, though they'd be wiped out by the Sahara's desertification before it can become a proper written language.
    You'll have to explain to me what you mean by orphan cultures, I don't quite grasp it? And I'll certainly keep that in mind my friend!

I've been going with Proto-Berber, more or less, but realistically probably some completely extinct and unknown ethnocultural groups. The culture is purposefully very alien, for a multitude of reasons (I'm not going to assert that the ancestors of the Wolof people, for instance, engaged in coprophilic rituals as that might be taken rather poorly) with the only hint of a link to modern Berbers being such things as the Equus patrolling holy megaliths. There's also the hint of Ananse, an Akanese spider god, in the form of Issiy which may hint at there being a relation to modern Bantus, but this is more incidental than correlative. If I play up the Basqe-Irish link, Todd presupposed that they might have a rather Caucasian facial morphology while being dark skinned, tall and thin, but I didn't think too much beyond them being definitely dark skinned (which is just about visible in the pixel art).

KapiTod, dakkafex and DrWalpurgis like this.
  11. lou3004 Member

first post here, be nice :v

here's a map i made today off a timeline i've been working on on and off for around a year centered around the burgundian colony of septimania. i'm most interested in worldbuilding at the level of the individual, and i find these Atlas of Prejudice-esque 8 Ways... maps are a good way to characterize the culture of a world.

if you have any questions, please ask :)
    [​IMG]

basileus, Malta, robotro and 47 others like this.
  12. GermanDjinn Apprentice of the Dark Lord Hickenlooper

This is based on that one Vic2 mod, correct? I forget what it’s called but I love the lore in it so I’m intrigued how you’ll expand on it

AlternateMan and lou3004 like this.
  13. rsha1s Well-Known Member

Ah, so this is a timeline where a surviving (Cromwell) Commonwealth resulted in a British monarchy-in-exile in the New World! I’m literally in the process of developing a graphic timeline like this at the moment, guess I should pause and/or revise it and see how your TL plays out!

Gian and GermanDjinn like this.
  14. EbolaMan131 Dick Pound 2020

That's a weird way to spell blessed

Gokbay, AlternateMan and Ban Kulin like this.
  15. B_Munro Member

I remember David Brin's not-too-distant-future SF novel Earth, in which an international coalition invades Switzerland to force them to disclose all the secret knowledge in the form of illegal bank accounts, dirt on everyone under the sun, Game of Thrones spoilers, etc. that they've been hoarding, and only through the intervention of a Swiss general with a conscience is the Swiss leadership prevented from setting off their secret stash of cobalt-wrapped nukes and taking the rest of the northern hemisphere down with them.

A few!

Presumably Septimania doesn't have a colony of Orcs in the Appalachians, so what is "Black Speech?"
    Does *Long Island have no nationality?
    What makes Plantagenets more traitorous than other French-speakers? Was that are initially colonized by the French-speaking subjects of a British monarchy that split up France with the Burgundians?
    Is Burgundy this Burgundy?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    AlternateMan, HeX, Deltax10 and 3 others like this.
  16. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill Kicked

You can certainly, but I guess it's your call.

17. Oxander Stepping Lightly

I snorted. Audibly. Spot on.

KapiTod likes this.
  18. SnivyLink *insert witty comment here*

Right, I don't want to summon Satan a second time

19. Admiral A. Kolchak Supreme Leader

China, 21 July 1945, the de facto beginning of the post-1945 phase of the Chinese Civil War.

Blue = Nationalists
    Red = Communists
    Orange = Japanese
    Teal = Western Allies

Bright colour are areas fought over that day

upload_2019-6-20_12-5-35.png

20. lou3004 Member

yes, i've been working on a TL up to the modern day based off my playthrough as Burgundy for a long time. here's a glimpse of what's happening on the other side of the ocean: [​IMG][​IMG]
    Burgundy/Lotharingia (proclaiming itself as the successor to the medieval Lotharingia) is the hegemon over western Europe. the HRE still exists at this time, though it's largely a vessel for Burgundian power projection at this point, with the King of Lotharingia being the head of state for all the German states within its boundaries. the United Republics have largely been neutered by years of war against the Burgundian-Scandinavian alliance, eventually resulting in the abolition of the monarchy. this abolition of the monarchy, however, has led to cooperation and understanding between the French, English and Anglois minorities against their common enemies in Burgundy. in Iberia, the communist regimes of Navarre and Spain remain strong after 20 years of classical Marchesist rule, and seek to export their revolution to neighboring countries. Italy-Aragon is a newly united state, but remains tethered to Burgundy in the King's rule over northern Italy.

some of my other maps in this universe:

https://old.reddit.com/r/imaginarymaps/comments/c2n1f5/septiman_elections_of_2008/ the elections in Septimania in 2008, liberals retain control of parliament but a growing nationalist movement in the Restorationist party sparks worry in every wing of government

https://old.reddit.com/r/imaginarymaps/comments/9e9ibm/the_athesian_workers_republic/ the Athesian Workers Republic, a Venetian-colonized communist Florida founded by a Marx-analogue exiled to North America

https://old.reddit.com/r/imaginarymaps/comments/9e6o06/the_republic_of_lusitania_in_1886/ the Republic of Lusitania, a small Portuguese-speaking Texan state unfortunately snuffed out in the chaos of the Great Arcadian War of the late 19th century

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.