Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Before we get into the lore for this installment of my Victorian Zombies series, I need to address that in the previous weeks, I have done much research (and found many sources) on Pre-Napoleonic Italy, France and Germany. While this will allow me to better figure out the details of the world I am building, I am afraid that this research has resulted in the previous Italy and Germany Maps becoming drastically outdated. I let you know now so that when the France/Spain map is released next month, the differences will not be without explanation in advance.

With that all out of the way, I bring to you the next in the world of Napoleonic Zombies (Please, if anyone has an actual name idea for this, please do let me know). This time we finally have gotten to Europe's biggest power, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. While having survived better than any of the major powers in Europe, Great Britain is not without her wounds left from the plague. I'm going to be a little different than previous post and detail how the United Kingdom got to her current state instead of listing the current political landscape of the region.

When the Zombie Plague first arrived in Europe from Iberia (who in turn got it from the Caribbean and West Africa), Great Britain were not too concerned, having only just exiled Napoleon to Saint Helena. However, when Spain and Portugal began to collapse and their hordes rose to France, the British began to worry.

However, while Europe was dying all around them, the British Navy was able to strongly stop ships from entering the country unchecked. By 1819, only a handful of ports were open to what little countries were in shape to international trade, and by 1823, most of these closed as well, leaving out Portsmouth (and illegally open harbors) open to the world.

However, this stability would soon end by a massive Scottish revolt in 1827. The Scottish War for independence is a prime example of the danger of warfare in this new world; as the ships once keeping out European refugees left to blockade the Scottish coast, thousands of people migrated the Great Britain to flee the Hordes in France, Iberia, Scandinavia, and Germany. With them, they brought the plague to England.

By 1828, London was lost and the royal family was forced to flee north to Manchester. Many walls and defensive fortifications were set up on their retreat to hold back the dead, but in the end, all but the final would fall between the years of 1827 and 1846. As infections began to occur in Scotland, the Scottish Government in Kirkcaldy opened negotiations to surrender in the Treaty of Manchester. The Loyalist regions of Scotland in Aberdeen and the northernmost Islands were granted autonomy on the scale of the isle of Mann.

While the Scottish Threat was dealt with, the British were still failing to fight the Dead as well as several Gaelic rebellions in the west. It was then decided in the early 1830's to focus on the most concerning issue and accept Gaelic independence in Ireland and in Scotland (Though Gaeltachtai and the Gaidhealtachd are essentially British Client States).

Just as all was looking back up, King William IV died in the early 1830's. Much of the line of succession has died in the Exodus of London and it became fuzzy as to who exactly was the true new monarch. Conflicts soon broke out in the southern holdouts of England and spread across Great Britain. While the fighting ended quickly, with supporters of Princess Sophia (one of George III's children) winning over those of George FitzClarence (William IV's oldest illegitimate son). In 1839, Sophia took the throne as Sophia I, Queen of Great Britain and Ireland. England lost a quarter of her remaining land and had gone from an uncontested Superpower of Europe, to just a major power.

As always, I do hope you enjoyed this map and the timeline as a whole. Clicking the map will link to a much larger resolution. If anyone has any questions, suggestions, critiques, or ideas (especially for an official name for this series) do feel free to let me know! Other maps in the series are as followed;

Italy

Northern Germany

United States

Caribbean
will you redo your Italy and north Germany maps? hows the Netherlands? and it looks like Scottish garlic will have a better chance of surviving then otl. how different is Gaeltachtai from our Irish republic?

will you redo your Italy and north Germany maps? hows the Netherlands? and it looks like Scottish garlic will have a better chance of surviving then otl. how different is Gaeltachtai from our Irish republic?

I do plan on redoing those maps eventually, probably before I leave Europe and the Americas. As for the Netherlands, their ability to build and fortify walls against the ocean eating them proved quite useful in building a land wall against the sea of undead. The Gaelic nations are both doing quite well with fairly large navies, Gaeltachtai is quite similar the old Swiss Confederacy in its administrative structure (Though my research on the Irish clans in 1815 is going slow); culturally, Gaeltachtai is just the Irish Republic but way more Gaelic and way less English.

This is neat, can you tell me what the culture and tech level looks like in such a world?
Tech level, roughly on par with the late 1860's to early 1870's I know such a development is slow, but at the moment, they are focused more on reclaiming the land rather than improving the tech to much.
Culture: Probably similar to Utah, only theocratic and with polygamy still legal (if somewhat frowned upon at this point if for no other reason than to encourage genetic diversity).

That still leaves you with a highly unstable democracy in post-1953 Germany. Realpolitik is not always popular.
Perhaps the Stalin Note, far from actually helping Germany, only serves to create Weimar Republic 2? Now that would be interesting, although I expect any German attempts to go back on the war path would be met with a UN intervention that would make the Korean War look like a picnic.

Charles the Dumb was one of the most infamous kings of West Francia, having gained his nickname thanks to his incompetency during his reign. Even dumber of him, was his lack of heirs, having only one child with his mistress, making him illegitimate.

When Charles died, legally the crown should have gone to one of his distant cousins. However, what mattered the most was not the law, but the armies. Two of his closer cousins; Alfred of Normandy, King of England; and Rudolph of Welf, King of Arles; decided to claim the throne for themselves. They didn’t have a legal claim on the throne since West Frankish law prohibited females from being in the line of succession; however the lack of adequate heirs allowed them to strike Francia. The war started in 1185, when Alfred marched his armies from Normandy towards Paris, and ended in 1192, with the signing of the Treaty of Frankfurt, when Alfred, Rudolph and Ludwig II, Holy Emperor, agreed to split the Kingdom. The crown of West Francia, along with the northern territories, went to Albert, giving Flanders, which had been occupied by Ludwig, to the Emperor. In the south, the Kingdom of Aquitaine was created (Not to be confused with the Duchy of Aquitaine, despite having the same name, they were separate entities, the Duke being a feudal subject of the King; later they would be unified) and given to Rudolph of Welf.

Peace would last for a couple of decades after the treaty, until the Norman Kings of West Francia attempted to reclaim the whole Kingdom.
Crosspost from my (first) MoTF entry.

I do plan on redoing those maps eventually, probably before I leave Europe and the Americas. As for the Netherlands, their ability to build and fortify walls against the ocean eating them proved quite useful in building a land wall against the sea of undead. The Gaelic nations are both doing quite well with fairly large navies, Gaeltachtai is quite similar the old Swiss Confederacy in its administrative structure (Though my research on the Irish clans in 1815 is going slow); culturally, Gaeltachtai is just the Irish Republic but way more Gaelic and way less English.
will you do a map on the British civil war? also how Napolean?

will you do a map on the British civil war? also how Napolean?

I'll probably do a map describing both the British Civil War as well as the Infection's progress through Britain. As for Napoleon, my plan is for him to be rescued from St. Helena. Specifically by Brazillian Rebels during the Pernambucan revolt of 1817, where I'm planning to have him build a new Napoleonic Empire (granted this empire will be such only in name)

Here is a map of my Technocratic world from 1948-1965
PT1948-_C.gif

Since adding 2 slides isn't that much, I also decided to add a map of the government forms of the nations in 1965. Feel free to ask questions
PT1965_GV.png

Dark Blue: Unitary Technocracy
Light Blue: Technocratic Union
Cyan: Devolved assembly
Red: Commune
Light Yellow: Technocratic Monarchy
Banana Yellow: Electoral Monarchy
Dutch Orange: Elective Monarchy (note the diffrence)
Green: Liberal Democracy
Grey: Fascist State
Brown: Appointed Governor

Last edited:

ST15RM

Banned
Dark Blue: Unitary Technocracy
Light Blue: Technocratic Union
Cyan: Devolved assembly
Red: Commune
Light Yellow: Technocratic Monarchy
Banana Yellow: Electoral Monarchy
Dutch Orange: Elective Monarchy (note the diffrence)
Green: Liberal Democracy
What about Brown and Gray?

Yugoslavia with Bulgaria, not really much of scenario to it.
dd2zt6i-de866e8e-f701-4305-aa5c-bc4a12f3ebe7.png
In the OTL Balkan Federation plans, and other things, Serbian and Bulgarian Macedonia were to be combined as it's own republic. I feel that here if Bulgaria was just given Macedonia it would swallow it up. Or at the very least a small portion of it would go to the Albanian populated Kosovo,

Status
Not open for further replies.