Map Thread XVIII

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by FesteringSpore, Jul 28, 2018.

1. mikroraptor Well-Known Member

Late 1920s, before Japan got involved

2. Petros >Peter Fergus< Well-Known Member

Apex Earth: 2200 - sea level -100m, New Ice Age effects, and the old fashioned Mediterranean remains, with a lot of historical artifacts and sites still intact (starting to get tourists again!) while everywhere else had them inundated for seventy-five years.

[​IMG]

I think I'll add notes to this one for each mega-engineering or geo-engineering project, and the major climate or local conditions that have changed, and then work on political boundaries again later, when I have a better idea of how they mesh with geography.

wtw, Ski, Imperator Frank and 10 others like this.
  3. APeninSpace What are you even meant to put here?

ffs I was working on a revamp of china in my TL last night, I saved it, and came back to it this morning and it got corrupted. Yay.

Admiral A. Kolchak likes this.
  4. MorningDew suburbia is big gay

Paris is pretty far inland...

5. APeninSpace What are you even meant to put here?

It's on a river, no? That could lead to flooding.

Bomster likes this.
  6. Petros >Peter Fergus< Well-Known Member

I had read somewhere that it would be vulnerable to regular flooding from a +10m rise in sea levels. Internet is telling me Paris itself is 35m above sea level, on average, so maybe.

Weather in the global warming world will suck, so that could be the main factor. How ever often the Seine floods right now, I'd guess it will be ten times that with rising sea levels.

7. Petros >Peter Fergus< Well-Known Member

Apex Earth: 2200 - The difference in coastlines and ice-caps from 2080 to 2200. Greenish areas were inundated and later revealed. Light blue is ice shelf or ice cap. Darker blue are places that were only flooded after the ice age.

[​IMG]

Last one for today, just a simple overlay that turned out to be quite informative.

wtw, Big Schwartz, Blind and 23 others like this.
  8. Admiral A. Kolchak Supreme Leader

I don't think there was any point at which the GMD owned Henan but not Jiangsu. Also, Japan seems to have already intervened?

9. B_Munro Member

A (relatively) easy map, mainly so I can put off doing work on commissions I need to finish. :coldsweat: Based on Travel Guide #9 by OttoVonSuds. Some extra changes, because I'm cuckoo for cocoa puffs butterflies. Ideas for Africa taken from the excellent Male Rising timeline by Jonathan Edelstein.

If I have (almost inevitably) made some errors, let me know.

[​IMG]

Oh, a few extra details - won't put them on the map since I've already edited and reposted this here and on Deviantart three times. :confounded:

That big "Kashmir" is the Sikh Empire. Put up a hard enough fight that it ended up a British vassal rather than being broken up as OTL, and it's a useful buffer: takes care of the occasional Afghan invasion rather than the British having to dirty their hands themselves.

The wee state above it is Balti.

Egypt managed to secure Palestine in the general collapse of the ottoman Empire and makes beaucoup bucks (or piastres) off the Pilgrim trade. It has also held onto an equal number of shares in the Sinai canal to the French.

Haiti (responding to a comment from @Historyman 14 ) has been slavery-free for a while, but it is still dominated economically and politically by an elite of whites and light-skinned, French-speaking blacks. (There is also a sizable Asian immigrant population: there are more Indians, etc. in the British Caribbean, and more Chinese everywhere)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Dr. Niles, wtw, basileus and 33 others like this.
  10. Ephraim Ben Raphael Super Writer Extraordinaire

You have two 33s. Nice scenario though!

11. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

The Southern Cone also taken from Male Rising?

12. B_Munro Member

Influenced by, especially in the borders of the Mapuche state, although all the states are mentioned in Otto's scenario.

13. Suvareshkin Well-Known Member

There seem to be two #33's

Ephraim Ben Raphael likes this.
  14. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Ahh yes, just realized their aren't independent states in southern Brazil here. A shame, as it would have meant even more places with loads of Italians. Did he specify a Gran Colombia? I feel that as they still have Ecuador they would just be considered Colombia.

15. B_Munro Member

No he didn't: I just wanted to mix it up by making one of the Latin American nations bigger than OTL. And you're right, Gran Colombia is a retrospective name, not what they called themselves at the time. Perhaps they lost and later regained Ecuador?

16. Danthefan28 Well-Known Member

Something from a project/story I'm working on.
    Map of the NUSA..png
    Map of Arcadia..png

17. Goliath Well-Known Member

Hard to get alternate U.S. state borders look so nice while also avoiding cliches- good work there!

B_Munro likes this.
  18. EbolaMan131 Dick Pound 2020 Kicked

19. Danthefan28 Well-Known Member

Its even cooler when you know the background. In particular, the event that started the 2nd Civil War.

20. Historyman 14 Well-Known Member

Tell us more about Haiti. If the slave rebellion failed to take off, and the Bourbon rule it, how does it look like? I mean, when did slavery end and the white/black population?

Next World War?

What would happen to Qing if the Qing screws everything up still and is booted out of power. (Republican!China is an must.)