Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Certainly not. I've seen them. That would not mean, however, that because it's done before that it can be done now. We have specific threads for specific maps. It just seems out of place to have them here and it negates the purpose of those threads when no one posts there while the main map thread is cluttered with random maps, both plausible and implausible.

I am not advocating for censorship. I am not advocating for shutting anyone down. I am advocating relocating certain content to another thread that wouldn't otherwise fit, to keep everything orderly. Despite being a general thread, we have specific threads made for these kind of maps, as I have visited those threads, and it disappoints me when people don't account for those threads and just post on this one. Take a hypothetical scenario where this user wants to post a map he found on his school textbook and wanted to show how badly made it was and how it misrepresents real-world accounts. We have a thread for that, Horrible Educational Maps.

Yes, I am prejudiced for arbitrary levels of plausibility that I like to reserve for this thread, I'll admit. However, silly maps would fit much more well in silly map threads, which we do have. A map with Oklahoma's panhandle lengthened to the coast of California would be out of place here, so it goes to the Map Shitpost thread.

This will be my last post on the subject. I plead to users to take into account where maps should go.

We have specific threads for overflow; we made the WIP thread because there were too many WIPs in this thread. We made the shitpost thread because there were too many shitposts in this thread. That does not negate people’s right to post those types of maps in this thread, and people are under no obligation, particularly if they don’t post maps constantly, to post them in specific relevant threads. I don’t always post my alternate planets in the alternate planets thread, and I don’t have to provide a reason to you as to why, because I’m not spamming those maps so often that I ought to be redirected there.
The purpose of the WIP thread is not 'negated' because I posted a WIP eight posts up from this one. You're making an arbitrary division of what constitutes random or out of place maps based on your own predilections and it isn't fair to people who want the widest number of people to see their work, which is in this thread. The posts you took issue with haven't cluttered anything, and it's a silly assertion that they have, in part because I could argue that your numerous objections are far more distracting and cluttering.

No, you are arguing to bar people who post a certain kind of map from using this thread. You're gatekeeping. Those threads were made for certain kinds of maps, but certain kinds of maps were not made for those threads. No one has to follow your instructions or preferences for where certain content is posted, and it's arrogant to presume they should. That example is poor because despite myself there is certain content that absolutely shouldn't be put in this thread and people know this, and that generally includes real maps that haven't been made by the user base. A better example is if someone made a highly-detailed map of a real historical period and you demanded they post it in the OTL map thread to the exclusion of this one, despite the fact that thread gets so little traffic. It's an arbitrary demand.

By that exact logic this high quality map by Fennomaniac should be excluded from this thread, or this one by Ksituan. They're silly maps, but they're very good maps and they have every right to be posted here. It is a flawed and frankly arrogant proposition.

Some Progress! I'll start my own thread now.
Henry II, Augutus, ruling over the government of the Romans (ie: defending the pope)
Basil II, Emperor of the Romans
Sameul, Emperor of the Bulgarians
Romania Victoria!.png

Isaac Beach

Banned
So, does this Star Lift still work? Does it just randomly launch streams of stellar material? Is this what those religions are based off of?

As far as scientists can tell, yes. It's passively operating, and appears to be doing the bare minimum of removing mass to extend the star's life, which makes the dating the star quite difficult, but according to U-Pb dating the Star Lift is at least ten million years old. The Reliquary itself actually stores the stellar material, and scientists don't know why or for what purpose. A lot of the religions think that when they Star Lift reaches a certain critical mass it'll herald the end of the world or the coming of their messiah or any number of more opaque happenings. But there are also religions based around the local sapient species being fallen gods, the three planets (technically two terrestrial planets, a gas giant and a moon) which were habitable prior to exterior contact which is quite surprising, and a few other things. There would be literally hundreds, if not thousands of religions in this system alone.

Edit: Oh! And I should say that people do live on the Star Lift itself. It's large and dense enough that it generates it's own gravity and the rim-facing side isn't especially irradiated, so there's a holy city of sorts on the Reliquary that is often the subject of lots of temple-rubbing by the imperial peace keepers as minorities squabble and fight.

Does anybody ever wish they had saved any of their old garbage maps, you know, the kind that in all honestly are trash but you can't help but to feel some sense of nostalgia for?
I still have this one saved, from like 2010-ish:
Car433t.png

I kept it because I got really into the idea so that it eventually morphed into this:
vJkTo4d.jpg

As far as scientists can tell, yes. It's passively operating, and appears to be doing the bare minimum of removing mass to extend the star's life, which makes the dating the star quite difficult, but according to U-Pb dating the Star Lift is at least ten million years old. The Reliquary itself actually stores the stellar material, and scientists don't know why or for what purpose. A lot of the religions think that when they Star Lift reaches a certain critical mass it'll herald the end of the world or the coming of their messiah or any number of more opaque happenings. But there are also religions based around the local sapient species being fallen gods, the three planets (technically two terrestrial planets, a gas giant and a moon) which were habitable prior to exterior contact which is quite surprising, and a few other things. There would be literally hundreds, if not thousands of religions in this system alone.

Edit: Oh! And I should say that people do live on the Star Lift itself. It's large and dense enough that it generates it's own gravity and the rim-facing side isn't especially irradiated, so there's a holy city of sorts on the Reliquary that is often the subject of lots of temple-rubbing by the imperial peace keepers as minorities squabble and fight.
how far is the future dose this take place?

Does anybody ever wish they had saved any of their old garbage maps, you know, the kind that in all honestly are trash but you can't help but to feel some sense of nostalgia for?
These were some of the first maps I ever made.

You had the mandatory Axis Victory scenario:
8xrYRvk.png

And what was basically just me experimenting with map-making and "consequences":
OcSkHvn.png
f9u7LJX.png
Lr0ScSA.png

I'm not very proud of any of them now, but I still have them saved in a folder..

Oh boy, are we posting old maps? I've got a couple:
My first alt-history map ever - The Classic Ameriwank:
Map_of_Territorial_Expansions_by_1900.png

WW2 Axis Victory-turns-into-bloody-insurgencies
althist_base.png

And my first non-Victoria 2 map:
actual_quality_map.png

Isaac Beach

Banned
Ooh, shitty old maps aye? Well here's one of the first I posted to Deviantart when I was simultaneously an America-hating Al Jazeera acolyte and an imperial Teaboo way back in 2015 (God I feel old).

the_great_british_wank_off_by_dain_siegfried_d8ertih.png

Old maps ya' say? Well I've got a lot.
upload_2019-2-23_7-48-31.png
upload_2019-2-23_7-49-39.png
upload_2019-2-23_7-53-4.png
upload_2019-2-23_7-54-51.png

My first ever AH map was made in Microsoft Word, so I can't really post it. It was a CSA victory map, with the CSA owning part of southern California and a couple of Mexican states.

Status
Not open for further replies.