Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great map quality, however... Wouldn't Stalingrad have been renamed to something else?

maybe hitlerburg :p

You're right, however I chose to use original names in this map, as Germanising lots of names would be tough. However... i forgot to put a note on the map saying I'd done that, which is what I had planned.

Fantastic map. However, you've mixed up some of the infoboxes. Volga-Manych's box talks about the Don Cossack League, while the Don Cossack League's box is titled "Free Caucasus Army".

What I assume is supposed to be a textbox for the Don Cossack League is named (a second) Free Caucasus Army, and the Volga-Manych Red Army also has the exact same text as it.

Yes, since posting the map everywhere on reddit and ah.com i realised this. It's a bit late to change now, though, and it's late. Simple mistake.

Okay, so this is a scenario that I have been interested in for a while now. Basically, the British alongside the Japanese have somehow established themselves as the superpowers of the World with them having large colonial empires. I don't really know why I think these two go together so well in my mind, maybe its because they are both empires that were based on Islands who also had their patriotism related to the sun somehow (British; The sun never sets on the emprie! Japanese; Land of the Rising Sun), but I think the two could provide an interesting rivalry...

This scenario aslo has no established PoD or history, and is not meant to be taken as 100% realistic, it is just a map that I kinda drew out of my imagination.

This is a fully colonized North and South America, circa 1900 with 1920s tech levels.

Eng vs Jpn Americas.png

Okay, so this is a scenario that I have been interested in for a while now. Basically, the British alongside the Japanese have somehow established themselves as the superpowers of the World with them having large colonial empires. I don't really know why I think these two go together so well in my mind, maybe its because they are both empires that were based on Islands who also had their patriotism related to the sun somehow (British; The sun never sets on the emprie! Japanese; Land of the Rising Sun), but I think the two could provide an interesting rivalry...

This scenario aslo has no established PoD or history, and is not meant to be taken as 100% realistic, it is just a map that I kinda drew out of my imagination.

This is a fully colonized North and South America, circa 1900 with 1920s tech levels.

View attachment 440991
I'd love to see more of this!

View attachment 440991
Nice, only two comments:
-21 seem to be missing
-A nice addition would be to have the British to have Nicaragua and made a cannal there to make competition to the Japanese Panama cannal !

I'd love to see more of this!

Well, One idea I've had is to make a map of Africa, with Shinto colonies in Madagascar and East Africa.

Nice, only two comments:
-21 seem to be missing
-A nice addition would be to have the British to have Nicaragua and made a cannal there to make competition to the Japanese Panama cannal !

Ah, had a feeling that I would make a mistake with the numbers.

As for your canal idea, that's a good one! ;)

THE MIGHTY NEBRASKA REQUIRES NOT YOUR RESPECT ONLY YOUR OBEDIENCE

Should Freedonia have a People's Railroad?

August 15, 2016
Jane Whittlesback

Since the return of democracy to the United States, the Unity coalition in government has been avoiding the topic of nationalization fearing the worst days of Red September repeating themselves. Michael de Spinoza of the Patriot's Party (PP) has been a stringent proponent of nationalizing rail in the United States, favoring Wisconsin and Shoshone's models for state-run railroads. The Reformed Worker's Party of America (RWPUSA) however has favored the Nebraska model of publicly owned railroad cooperatives with state and federal support, known as the Nebraska model for the state's infamous railways. President Jackie O'Hare has avoided commenting one way or another, stating 'The purpose of my government is a return to normalcy, all other matters can be settled by my successor". Popular sentiment seems to point to a public desire for nationalizing railroads, with a 2015 referendum in Freedonia on the topic of public railroad expansion seeing 62% voting for a public railroad cooperative expanding the lines in the capital. With the exceptions of Albany, NY and Annapolis, MD, all of the previous capitals of the United States have at one time had public or state-owned railroads. What makes Freedonia the exception?

The conception of Freedonia in the aftermath of the Bahamas War meant the Federal district was essentially to be run by the President as Commander-in-Chief. The Freedonian Transportation Authority was appointed directly by the President, and was built essentially to manage and control the population of Freedonia. Transport would bring federal workers into the city, and bus them out at night, with Freedonia being first and foremost a military outpost. In 1911, when the railroads were nationalized as part of the First Red Scare, The Bureau of Tranportation was created to maintain and ship personnel and equipment around the United States. The Dirty War period of the 1930s would see Freedonian rule of the rails become corrupt and inept, with the Dodge City collision and Fishtown Chlorine spill each killing over 50 civilians. This would continue into the First Spring and Second Oligarchy periods, with the rails eventually falling to private hands as the US began the process towards democracy once more in the 1990s. Since 1998, the private entity Freedonian Transit Authority has administered the tracks.

Many Freedonians have criticized the FTsA, but their suggestion of emulating the Nebraska Public Railroad should be approached with a critical eye as well. The Nebraskan Public Railroad arose from the unique situation of many Nebraskans during the First Spring. Organized initially around the populist Abraham Washington, The Nebraskan People's Railroad Cooperative was begun to protest the railroad charging exorbitant amounts for shipping grain and cattle. The Democratic state gov't intervened to keep the NePRC calm, but escalations up to and including sabotage and train robbery became a political crisis. The 1948 elections saw the ousting of the Democrats and the entry of Washington's Peoples Party. The NePRC and Nebraskan state gov't met halfway, with both contributing money for constructing and maintaining railroads for their own purposes of transporting grain and travel. The use of the railroads increased during the Confederate collapse, as poor Southron blacks and whites would seasonally and return to Reservations in Omaha and Council Bluffs, Iowa during the off-season. The Second Oligarchy found the NPR too popular to be fully privatized, though exerted significant authority by opening the NPR to private interests. Democratization would see the return of public-ownership, with Central City putting a cap on private investment in the NPR at 9%.

The NPR has significant investment from both the state and federal level, constituting close to 58% of the funding for the railroad, often criticized as a white elephant for the state. The NPR continues to exist as a politically popular white elephant, however. Profits have only broken even on years when meat and grain prices are high. President O'Hare seeks not to comment or intervene on the situation, but she should be wary if a NPR-style project is undertaken in Freedonia, as the Federal government exclusively will bear the burden of keeping a People's Railroad in the Federal Capital.

MOTF191(nebraska).png

Last edited:
I think that in one of Tolkein's books they talk about hobbits that live on canals and boats, maybe how the regular people of the Shire don't get along with them. And I'm definitely picking some of it up from RPGs and not LotR.
Smeagol was from a group not of the Shire that did that. Some Hobbits of the Shire also used them, as Frodo's parents drowned when going on a boat right and falling overboard.

Okay, so this is a scenario that I have been interested in for a while now. Basically, the British alongside the Japanese have somehow established themselves as the superpowers of the World with them having large colonial empires.
So Man in High Castle with Brits instead of German? I love it! And would like to see more :D
(I am especially curious how they could handle south Pacific and Asia, there are many conflicting possibilities... Malaysia, India, Australia... On the other hand, with PoD predates 18th/19th century...

So Man in High Castle with Brits instead of German? I love it! And would like to see more :D
(I am especially curious how they could handle south Pacific and Asia, there are many conflicting possibilities... Malaysia, India, Australia... On the other hand, with PoD predates 18th/19th century...
Of course it works a bit less well if the British tried taking over Latin America or the United States in such a scenario. Mainly as they already had a century of making loads of money as they had so many of the ships, factories, and trade goods needed for purchasing, transporting, and selling things between hemispheres. Perhaps Japan goes for the Pacific Rim? Can't see the British ever letting them have India, Australia, or Hong Kong. The trade with China was always valuable, and a lot of British colonies in Africa helped provide goods for India. Though that might have been earlier in in their history. I honestly feel the British would simply be happy owning most major canals, having British shareholders for dozens of major railroads, plus they are the only ones between eastern Singapore and western Singapore (going the long way around the world) with anything above the level of canoe.

View attachment 440991
For the ruler of an colonial empire controlling half of the world (believing it is a similar "Man in the High Castle" setting), the Emperor seems to be impressively fair with natives (bookmark 20 being one example), but maybe is just pragmatism

For the ruler of an colonial empire controlling half of the world (believing it is a similar "Man in the High Castle" setting), the Emperor seems to be impressively fair with natives (bookmark 20 being one example), but maybe is just pragmatism
The Japanese are kinda complicated when it comes to people of different ethnicties. On one hand immigrant groups such as Chinese and Whites aren't respected that much atleast amongst the conservative/right-wing crowd, while with the Natives, the Japanese recognize that they were the ones who came onto their land and started colonizing, hence they are treated less xenophobically.

This is from the same 28th century as the previous map of the planet Kahlo. The layout is a bit changed up because we're not seeing a 28th century entry in an atlas or database exactly, the UI/visual appearance of Page graphics and pages is entirely customisable, as is the information on display. The fact that this is even mostly the same colour scheme and font is me being a bit conservative and wanting to ensure a decent look rather than showing things off.

The planet was originally settled by the Prehistoric Life Research Group with the specific intention of recreating ecosystems from Earth's past. The atmosphere required some tweaking to reach entirely breathable quality, and this was an opportunity to increase the oxygen levels above those of Earth, to better reflect conditions in prior ecological eras. This planet was chosen specifically because a ready-baked, human habitable world was a much more attractive prospect to commercial and national settlement projects, and in the earliest era of offworld settlement even partial terraforming was a somewhat laborious and expensive prospect when compared with the pressing need to find human beings homes.

Despite its explicitly scientific origins Shaja began to accrue a population. At first this was due to the necessary infrastructure to support permanent human settlement, but the city of Ambarsar grew beyond its original purpose. Shaja swiftly became a very distinct place, with its many shallow seas, islands full of extinct biota, and specific scientific objectives. This intrigued people seeking something distinctive among the stars. As well as a centre of research the planet, by the 23rd century, became one of the most wealthy and developed colonies in the human sphere.

Ammonites are the most commonly encountered export from Shaja, either frozen or preprepared. Even after centuries of such products becoming available on human planets the sight of these strange, extinct creatures on sale does nothing to reduce Shaja's reputation as 'the strange one' among the older offworld colonies.

dczwp13-3a00c9ac-e130-4329-9e46-d0b720c16086.png

Romania Victoria.png

A 9th/10th century TL I'm working on! Byzantium looks big, but Otto is going to smash it all up. This map is currently set in 938, after the capture of Melitene. Romanos Lekapenos reigns as Emperor.

Status
Not open for further replies.