Map Thread XVIII

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by FesteringSpore, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Ivoshafen Just A Man From Gondor - Recovering from SATS

Belgian Revolution.png

So, since the write up for this would be absolutely insane as it's for a DND campaign I'm running with some friends, I thought I would just post the map here.

It's a genericish steampunk setting with some Lovecraft sprinkled in, ask questions as you would like, POD at the 1790 Belgian Revolution.

wtw, Soverihn, Pexa and 18 others like this.
  2. Historyman 14 Well-Known Member

How very interesting. Could you tell us more of this world? (British Louisiana, Germany and Prussia, British Raj and whatever that is next to it.)

CountofDooku likes this.
  3. Etruscan-enthusiast35 Human until proven guilty

Hobbiton, The Shire, Eriador, Middle-Earth
    Question, what is the limit to the total number of maps you're allowed to post in one day?

4. Beta.003 An Average Nerd

3 I’m guessing - as with the image limiting. If you’ve posted 3 images, no more maps, 3 maps? No more images and so on.

5. Etruscan-enthusiast35 Human until proven guilty

Thanks.

Beta.003 likes this.
  6. Beta.003 An Average Nerd

No problemo

Etruscan-enthusiast35 likes this.
  7. Etruscan-enthusiast35 Human until proven guilty

Have a demographic map for a country where Protestantism secured a significant foothold in southern Poland and caused a bit of a political mess to occur.
    galicia.png

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:33 PM
  8. ST15RM Ich bin ein AH.commer!

correct. check the forum rules if you have any questions, or ask a mod.

9. Basileus_Komnenos Well-Known Member

What are you guys using to make al these maps? They are so cool. Is there any tutorial I could use for something like Paint.net?

10. Etruscan-enthusiast35 Human until proven guilty

I'm not sure about a specific tutorial.
    Really all there is to say would be to take time to get familiar with Paint.nets tools and start small.

ST15RM likes this.
  11. Ivoshafen Just A Man From Gondor - Recovering from SATS

Basically, the TL handled the French revolution in a way that would best allow for player interaction and narrative tension, that being by keeping the Directorate in charge, fending off naysayers with whatever they can mend together, this leads to most of France's colonies being up for grabs as the nation becomes autocratic and isolationist as it tries to reign in power over itself. Nappy isn't here, and I felt like a big bad French Empire conquering it's way across Europe would make too easy for a bad guy to paint a target on for the players. With industrialization, which happened rapidly across Europe after the revolution sparked in Belgium, came further centralization, and the opportunity to make up for their lost colonies, mainly to Britain, by taking place in the scramble for Africa. Basically, France was busy as home, so the Brits and whoever else was in town rushed their non metropolitan lands.

Germany, or the Holy German Empire, is what remains of the HRE, becoming a vessel for German unification, the King of Prussia didn't wish to lay down their royal title, and thus became the Austria analog of this timeline, with Austria itself taking reigns during the German unification.

The British Raj, for the most part, is OTL with less land, to the west however, is Portuguese Hindustan, a long series of colonial investments to hamper the Venetian dominance of trade, aiming to reclaim the finances they lost after Brazil.

Anything else? Keep in mind this was intended for a campaign, so a lot of rule of cool is at play here.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 12:20 AM
    Historyman 14 likes this.
  12. Allan Nonymous Compulsive Map Maker

I personally use gimp, but it has a steep learning curve.

13. Admiral A. Kolchak Supreme Leader

It also has some annoying bugs that will show up if you use very large images, which are an absolute must for producing good maps.

It's still the best, though.

14. koa_dan A faithful non-German servant of Emperor Wilhelm I

You can try this tutorial by Zagan. Super easy to understand.

Basileus_Komnenos and Zagan like this.
  15. Historyman 14 Well-Known Member

No Napoleon?!

But really, who is ruling France today? Did someone finally got rid of the Directorate to get things done?

Bomster likes this.
  16. Ivoshafen Just A Man From Gondor - Recovering from SATS

Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough, but at the moment the Directorate is still in charge, but barely. Progress has been slow and there's numerous factions aiming to take them down. Like I said, it's something I've set up for my players to mess around with, but if they decide to ignore it, I'm thinking some general will use his sway to boot the Directorate.

17. Jamee999 England --> Brooklyn

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 2:28 PM
  18. DubstepGamer758 yah yeet

Great Salt Lake City, The Republic of Deseret
    yes please

Bomster likes this.
  19. Gokbay Well-Known Member, apparently huh...

Don't think anyone would remember this but I once made this highly implausible, butterfly exterminating Ottomanwank (for the dynasty not the empire), which is also kind of a monarchy wank with most of the Commonwealth being monarchies. Some time later I decided on working on a list of monarchs. My current work can be seen here. I would really appreciate any help/suggestions/comments but seeing that this is the map thread (not sure where to post alternate head of state lists) anyone wishing to ask/comment/etc can just come to the thread where the list post is posted.

Gwrtheyrn Annwn and Miner like this.
  20. Jamee999 England --> Brooklyn

[​IMG]
    yes the flag is ugly on purpose