Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ua3LArx.jpg

Next one - again not to much difference, except Epeiros and the next ptolemaic King

dcz8arq-824819e8-6d08-42bd-94e1-4607499b0cc0.png

This is my first real go at integrating a map into larger graphics. Or in this case a series of other, smaller maps. I declined the choice of a very sci fi font because I figured that by the 28th century we'd be over the novelty.

The interstellar society Kahlo belongs to runs on the Crumple drive, which allows vessels to interact with 4D topography, drastically shortening journeys between star systems (In most cases). Humanity is settled across dozens or perhaps hundreds of worlds. It's a setting that originated as worldbuilding-to-pass-time on downtime between projects but me being me it gained enough coherency that I wanted to give it life.

Thanks! You too!
These maps are all f separate years? Thought at first you were just doing updates on one map, but it seems from your DeviantArt that there is some years between them. Do you have any end date in mind? And if you do do further maps on with just a few years apart could you try some for the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars? I imagine there are enough maps of them around (and that you may have made some before), but it was such a vibrant time with borders changing on fly. I'm tempted to suggest the mediatization periods for the HRE, but there would be too many small things to recolor.

These maps are all f separate years? Thought at first you were just doing updates on one map, but it seems from your DeviantArt that there is some years between them. Do you have any end date in mind? And if you do do further maps on with just a few years apart could you try some for the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars? I imagine there are enough maps of them around (and that you may have made some before), but it was such a vibrant time with borders changing on fly. I'm tempted to suggest the mediatization periods for the HRE, but there would be too many small things to recolor.

Yes, they are. Although like i wrote under the last two: there is not always so much that changed. Yes, i have an end date (atleast for now) - the last map is set in 240 BC.

I'm not so sure if even the Napoleonic times could be done - atleast not in the same scale like the Diadochi. And also not for whole europe - maybe for most western/central europe.
Even the changes in borders and territories of that time are sometimes relatively small.

A really detailed map of the HRE (say around 1400 or 1500) is way to complex and the scale is a great problem - there are always territories so small that they are practically impossible to depict.

A really detailed map of the HRE (say around 1400 or 1500) is way to complex and the scale is a great problem - there are always territories so small that they are practically impossible to depict.
Of course, of course. I was mostly thinking for when cracks formed and when the larger or more dynastically connected states all started seizing lands form the Church, Imperial Knights, Free Cities, etc to compensate for the leaders of the larger German areas all being failures at beating the French, and loosing land on the western side of the Rhine. But yah, if people were to do maps showing such detail, it would be best at a much larger size and to be used as a base map for people. Not something that can work with your terrain heavy maps. Heck, the terrain alone would probably cause confusion I had in the past, with the many shades of pink for one or two countries. Do you have any future maps in mind, though?

This is my first real go at integrating a map into larger graphics. Or in this case a series of other, smaller maps. I declined the choice of a very sci fi font because I figured that by the 28th century we'd be over the novelty.

The interstellar society Kahlo belongs to runs on the Crumple drive, which allows vessels to interact with 4D topography, drastically shortening journeys between star systems (In most cases). Humanity is settled across dozens or perhaps hundreds of worlds. It's a setting that originated as worldbuilding-to-pass-time on downtime between projects but me being me it gained enough coherency that I wanted to give it life.
How much of the planet is depicted in the geographical maps? Are we looking at a string of large continents, one medium-sized archipelago, or something in between?

dcz8arq-824819e8-6d08-42bd-94e1-4607499b0cc0.png

Some of those cultural points are intense, @Daeres. Could you explain them? Sounds interesting!

Of course, of course. I was mostly thinking for when cracks formed and when the larger or more dynastically connected states all started seizing lands form the Church, Imperial Knights, Free Cities, etc to compensate for the leaders of the larger German areas all being failures at beating the French, and loosing land on the western side of the Rhine. But yah, if people were to do maps showing such detail, it would be best at a much larger size and to be used as a base map for people. Not something that can work with your terrain heavy maps. Heck, the terrain alone would probably cause confusion I had in the past, with the many shades of pink for one or two countries. Do you have any future maps in mind, though?

And yeah, i didn't even thought of the colouring! You're right, that could also cause confusion.

Did one more map like the Ptolemaic Kingdom one - atleast similar. And also one for Byzantine Empire. And then i'm currently working on two more things, but i'm still at the beginning

How much of the planet is depicted in the geographical maps? Are we looking at a string of large continents, one medium-sized archipelago, or something in between?

Something inbetween, on Earth we wouldn't call these continental bodies but in real terms they're still rather large islands, and we might classify the archipelago as a whole as a 'continent'. The anthropological focus of the maps encourages the exclusion of islands of a very small size and areas of the world inhospitable to human full time settlement, a 28th century person accessing this would be able to get a more detailed topographic picture of the entire planet Kahlo if they wanted to look at areas outside the 'human' archipelago, the titular Chiepelago referred to in the Cultural Reference Points.

Some of those cultural points are intense, @Daeres. Could you explain them? Sounds interesting!

Are there any specifically you were curious about? To expand on a couple, the 26th century recession was an interstellar economic and political crisis caused by the collapse of UNSA, the first peacekeeping organisation among the nations of the human sphere. Kahlo was never under real military threat at this time but its economy suffered from a reduction in trade and interstellar traffic. textil.gob.kah5 was a government site that housed a freely available database of paper clothing archetypes, all of which were easily customised by individual citizens. This originated after the growth of the paper clothes movement mentioned. At first the designs would have been printed in special facilities, then basic 3D printers became widely available as a home or communal appliance. The government of Kahlo still maintains design databases, but the architecture of planetary communication has moved on from the internet. Pork vs No Pork is a still extant cultural division on the planet, mostly related to cultures and communities with Ethiopian heritage; Tigrayans formed an early and important community in Cochabamba in particular. It has been a matter of friction in the past but it's mostly seen as a cultural quirk representing the planet's diversity, particularly as the original core cultures diverged, multiplied, and evolved. Sandals became something of a meme on the planet, as their regular use was common to almost all of the cultures represented in the colony's first century of existence. The generally warm climate encouraged their continued use, and modern sandal variants remain the most common outdoor footwear on Kahlo.

Are there any specifically you were curious about? To expand on a couple, the 26th century recession was an interstellar economic and political crisis caused by the collapse of UNSA, the first peacekeeping organisation among the nations of the human sphere. Kahlo was never under real military threat at this time but its economy suffered from a reduction in trade and interstellar traffic. textil.gob.kah5 was a government site that housed a freely available database of paper clothing archetypes, all of which were easily customised by individual citizens. This originated after the growth of the paper clothes movement mentioned. At first the designs would have been printed in special facilities, then basic 3D printers became widely available as a home or communal appliance. The government of Kahlo still maintains design databases, but the architecture of planetary communication has moved on from the internet. Pork vs No Pork is a still extant cultural division on the planet, mostly related to cultures and communities with Ethiopian heritage; Tigrayans formed an early and important community in Cochabamba in particular. It has been a matter of friction in the past but it's mostly seen as a cultural quirk representing the planet's diversity, particularly as the original core cultures diverged, multiplied, and evolved. Sandals became something of a meme on the planet, as their regular use was common to almost all of the cultures represented in the colony's first century of existence. The generally warm climate encouraged their continued use, and modern sandal variants remain the most common outdoor footwear on Kahlo.

This is really interesting.

dczbx2l-9a91fa4a-56af-4880-8c22-554d7ba068e2.png

Here's a map of an alternately colonized southern half of Africa - greater/surviving-er empires for the Dutch, Portuguese, Germans and Spanish, less British colonization, no Belgium, and greater use of native protectorates all around - including maps of languages showing both the Bantu languages, by group where applicable, and European languages (the background color is the most-spoken official/national language and the squares indicate additional official/national languages) giving a picture of which European powers colonized what, and by ethnicity, showing which states have significant African majorities under African governments, both traditional monarchies that survived the colonial era as protectorates or were revived after it and republics newly formed after independence, the multiracial states of Angola and Kenya (the latter of which has a large Indian population in addition to the African natives and European settlers), the apartheid states of Transvaal and Mocambique, the surviving Portuguese colony in Cabinda, the Sultanate of Zanzibar dominated by its Arab and Indian minorities, and the settler states of Capeland and Southwest Africa, with European majorities and African and mixed-race minorities, and Griqualand, with a mixed-race majority.

Fun(?) fact: in this timeline, talking about the "occupation of Gaza" refers to Mocambique. While recognized by the international community at large, Mocambique is not recognized by most African countries, who consider it to be illegally occupying the Republic of Gaza, homeland of the Tsonga people. (In contrast, due to the Unilateral Declaration of Independence by its white minority to avert a transition to minority rule, Transvaal is unrecognized and considered an illegal regime by almost the entire international community, including all of its neighbors except Mocambique.)

Last edited:

Following the increased conflict between the United Kingdom and United States, interests in the Caribbean grew by both countries. The United States desired to grow their influence in the FRCA before its dissolution in 1842, while the British desired to build a canal in the region to better gain influence in the pacific. In 1844, the British made a new declaration of the status of the Mosquito Coast as a British Protectorate. However, the wording of the treaty resulted in the northern and southern reaches to become disputed with Honduras and Nicaragua respectively.

Things remained stable until the Conquest of Central America [1853-1856],when the United States established a series of puppet states in Honduras, Nicaragua, and El Salvador. The new governments became anti-British much like their overlord and the disputed borders in the Mosquito Coast and Bay Islands became pressing issues. After an assault occurred in Greytown, conflict broke out and the two nations agreed to meet in the Mosquito Coast to negotiate a solution. On October 3 1859, the borders of the Mosquito were thinned and shortened, large ceding to the desires of Nicaragua and Honduras. However, the British were given the Bay Islands as a colony in exchange.

This map is part of a larger timeline known as The Lion, the Eagle, and the Rooster. A larger resolution of map can be found by clicking the link. As always, any form of criticism or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Can't like this enough:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.