Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Beach

Banned
dcvwo04-09a255a3-1880-48c3-98a9-0b0c92b84244.png

Come visit ‘With It’s Hand Against the Sky the Municipality of West Soames’, or West Soames for short, the wildest municipality in the whole of Tuinstria and yet populated with the highest number of municipal attractions as determined by the West Soames Board of Municipal Attractions!
Visit the iconic St. Thomas’ Dome in the south, where you can climb to its peak and receive a complimentary St. Thomas’ Dome knit cap. Explore the fully serviced heritage city of Lunamea (Tuinstria’s eighth largest city!), including the historic St. Thomas Bell Tower, the Lunamea General Hospital and the world famous Morvin’s Shed Commemorative Museum complete with a one-to-one reconstruction of the shed itself. If that doesn’t scratch your exploratory itch, visit the site between Carthurderlo and Wakkari where the original shed still stands and which was the vertex of the namesake War of Morvin’s Shed!
Wander through the manicured, rose-laden banks of Lake Anne and enjoy the annual Knapside Carnival where the town’s population swells to thrice its size! Across the lake read about the historic Occidentan Expedition* that first penetrated what is now our fine municipality on Lieutenant’s Hill, as well as a bygone age of aboriginal walkabout and arts*.
Experience West Soames’ delightful wilderness. Gaze at the wild Thylacine at East Blairdenon Municipal Reserve in Pulyonna and capture the stunning Keetrelbya Falls, or visit Auric Pass, the historic window into West Soames’ mineral wealth and home to the highest number of stone quarries per capita anywhere in the state!
Shop in Marnang’s country boutiques (including Chātrāpur Town, home to the largest Parbatese* community outside of a major city) or glamp in air-conditioned comfort with friends just outside the hamlet of Dell.
There’s something for everyone in the Municipality of West Soames, and just as our municipal motto implies let us raise your and your family’s spirits today!

~

*A sort of ‘France’ analogue, but probably more accurately a federated mini-EU of sorts.
*I wouldn’t call the average rural Tasmanian tourist pamphlet racist so much as… charmingly antiquated.
*Parbat is this world’s Nepal, and Chātrāpur is Kathmandu. Tasmania has a surprisingly substantive Nepalese community, so much so that their language is the third most spoken behind English and Chinese. I wanted to reflect that here.

This is the first piece in a sort of side project (one of many, gosh I’m frenetic) of a similar nature to @ksituan's New Columbia series, of which I must give credit for the inspiration, in that as his work is a sort of love letter to regional Canada (and general Americana to a lesser extent) this is a fictionalised version of my home state of Tasmania: Tuinstria. We differ in execution, somewhat, as he still uses real geography as a skeleton whereas mine is a fantasy world that just so happens to look very similar to our own. I hope you enjoy and I’m always keen to answer questions.

Is that 12 Nations meme resurrection still ongoing this year, or...?
AhCVXN6.png

A1 - OTL's State of South Australia from 1911-present
B1 - OTL's State of South Australia from 1863-1911
C1 - OTL Province of South Australia from 1836-1860

A2 - State of South Australia, 2023-2054; minor border adjustments to include Broken Hill within the state's boundaries
B2 - State of Central Austalia, 1861-present; a timeline where the Province of South Australia ended up gaining all of the NSW land cut off by the creation of Queensland, and as thus renaming itself to better represent its territory upon federation
C2 - Nouvelle Bretagne du Sud, 1812-1945; New South Brittany, as it would be known in English, was a pseudo-colony of France formed by Bretons seeking to preserve their culture away from an increasingly nationalistic France that was so happy to be rid of them (so it could settle their former land with good Frenchmen, of course) that it funded their efforts in exchange for preferential trade deals and influence within the colony

A3 - Grondgebied van Janszoonia, 1799-present (de jure)/1827-1921 (de facto); what is known as the Territory of Janszoonia in English was created by the Dutch East India Company on Nieuw Holland, it was notable for having both the least European settlement and having a string of administrators who attempted to establish positive relations with the natives within its jurisdiction, which led to it being the first territory to establish reservations for said natives and the last territory to peacefully join the continent's anti-colonial revolt
B3 - Reichsprotektorat von Australian, March 1942-June 1942; the Reich-Protectorate of Australia was a result of the (ludicrous and bafflingly successful) Anti-Thule Initiative - also known as Project Nilfheim - where the 3rd Reich launched attacks against Australia, New Zealand and South Africa from hidden bases in Antarctica, the Reichsprotektorat was a collaborative regime ruled by the Australia First Party while the rest of the continent was either occupied militarily by Germany (the west) & Japan (the north) or held by Australian armed forces in resistance (the east and parts of the west)
C3 - OTL's 'Spencer Region' culture group of Indigenous Australians, based off of this map

A4 - República dos Muitos Rios, 1889-2004; what is known in English as the Republic of Many Rivers was a former Portuguese colony in Java Grande, notable for being the most stable and influential country on the continent due to its possession of the 'many rivers' and the fertile land surrounding them, its informal caste system caused the state to be overthrown in a coup by the military during the 2004 Economic Crisis due to fears of a Bakunist Revolution (flag taken from here, full credit to owner)
B4 - Worker's Republic of South Oceania, [REDACTED]-[DATA EXPUNGED]; Imagine a heel grinding into a human face, forever
C4 - City State of Adelaide, July 5th 2034-July 20th 2034; one of three temporary secessions (alongside Perth and Townsville) made in protest against the centralisation of the Commonwealth of Australia and the disestablishment of the states, it was absorbed back into the commonwealth following threats over the use of armed forces once its actions were deemed illegal by the High Court

Last edited:
Republics vs Monarchies wip.png

Almost finished other than some outlines and Legend. (Also perhaps some more Island boxes. maybe making South Africa and New Zealand full dominions too.)

Not much point to it but this could be a board game potentially. Also Imgur hates me today so it's a goddam .jpeg for no reason.

ClFfMU5.jpg

Well, it's January 1st, so why not start at the beginning?

Sticks_and_Stones.png

This is a world where the Ice Age never ended, and with it humanity remains technologically and culturally in the Stone Age. Of course, humanity has advanced - this world has agriculture, domesticated animals, cities, shipbuilding, art, writing, philosophy, sophisticated astronomy and medicine and organization - just none of it done with anything better than some very sharp rocks and pointed sticks.

This is a world where the Dawn of Man is still in living memory. The Adamic People, a broad swathe of closely-related ethnolinguistic groups stretching across Africa and Asia, speak a family of languages which we might recognize as being related to proto-Afroasiatic. The Adamic People and their language expanded rapidly out of Africa and have only diverged very recently - the languages spoken in *China and *South Africa are about as closely related as Icelandic and Sanskrit, while the Adamic dialect spoken in the Middle East is as close to Hebrew as Latin is to, say, Haitian Creole.

Adamic People themselves are still recognizably in the same ethnic group, having dark skin and kinky hair. Of course, all humanity is descended from the Adamic People, but some branches of the family tree are further out than others. The Cro-Magnon of Europe, the *Siberian peoples, the inhabitants of the Americas (darker-skinned than IOTL, and perhaps more closely related to OTL's Austronesian people), and Australian Aboriginals (identical in a lot of ways to OTL) are the farthest-flung groups of humanity, speaking more distant languages and having different societal structures.

Human society overall has little in the way of social stratification compared to us, with most work being done communally. Societies are gender egalitarian or even matriarchal. While hieroglyphic writing was invented in *China and spread rapidly across Afro-Eurasia, plenty of societies maintain a strong oral tradition, especially among the Aboriginals whose entire complex society relies on a very strong body of lore maintained through oral tradition. Adamic people love their genealogies, and if one were to collect all the family histories whether written or spoken and trace them back and back and back, eventually they'll all meet up in one spot on the shore of a lake in East Africa...

As mentioned, most humans have a knowledge of animals husbandry, and there are a number of species which were domesticated that went extinct IOTL. The peoples of northern Eurasia use mammoths for war and as beasts of burden (though reindeer really are a more staple food source), while the people of the Americas have domesticated their own local species of horse, camel, and sheep, not to mention the toxodon and capybara and mastodons of South America. As a result the Americas have a number of massive and complex societies, from the mud-brick cities rising from the open grasslands along the banks of the Amazon, to the breathtaking cliff forts carved into the Canyonlands of the American West, to the great empires of the Andes which only superficially resemble our Incans. The seafarers of the Pacific Coast, who originally settled the continent, have frequent contact with East Asia by sailing along the coasts of Beringia - the states of Northeast Asia have frequently fought wars with the Beringians over these lucrative trade routes.

Even the Australian Aboriginals have more complex societies than IOTL, which arose out of a need to maintain the massive irrigation projects which keep the arid landscape watered. Their society, based on oral tradition, has necessitated the education of their children from the moment they can talk in oral disciplines, which eventually imbues them with an incredibly good memory, one which they need to preserve their histories over an absolutely geologic timescale. Different schools of oral lore have developed, for religion, administration, history, architecture, agriculture, diplomacy...

Then of course there are the Neanderthals. The only non-humans left (unless there really are some hobbits hiding out in Great Sunda), the Neanderthals have yielded plenty of ground to H. sapiens, but they are still a proud race - and one very different from us. Their art is entirely abstract, their language is more sung than spoken. They are patriarchal, compared to the more egalitarian humans - let alone the matriarchal Cro-Magnon, whose history with the Neanderthals is a cycle of wars and alliances forged by bonds of marriage. Still, theirs is an ancient and sophisticated society, with massive cities carved from the hearts of the mountains, supplied with glacial meltwater carried to them by aqueducts.

Worldwide, religions are largely shamanistic, with most people praying to totemic animal spirits. Shamans themselves are spiritual advisers, and religious rites take the form of getting high on some psychedelic substance. The Cro-Magnons are pretty unique in not only having a god - or rather, goddess - who takes human form, but in having religion be the organizing principle of their society. In Australia, the religious tradition known as the Dreamtime is still passed down orally by religious leaders known as Clevermen. The Dreamtime has given rise to some very interesting philosophy about the nature of time and the Universe, which are hotly debated in the cities of the Outback.

Last edited:
It is ever-fresh. Some might think 3 OTL maps out of 12 isn't cricket.
Considering that these maps were made and shared completely free, I don't think anybody has any right to complain about a lack of original content in them - they could have gotten no content at all, after all. If I had been commissioned or something, it would be a different story though.

Considering that these maps were made and shared completely free, I don't think anybody has any right to complain about a lack of original content in them - they could have gotten no content at all, after all. If I had been commissioned or something, it would be a different story though.

Sorry to offend.

View attachment 429527

Almost finished other than some outlines and Legend. (Also perhaps some more Island boxes. maybe making South Africa and New Zealand full dominions too.)
I'd like you to know that the straight, vertical lines in North America and Australia are actually killing me. I'm bleeding out as we speak.

For real though, in any other projection than the weird pseudo-Robinson the Worlda uses, those lines are weird, impractical curves, entirely useless as borders, and you should definitely change them.

I'd like you to know that the straight, vertical lines in North America and Australia are actually killing me. I'm bleeding out as we speak.

For real though, in any other projection than the weird pseudo-Robinson the Worlda uses, those lines are weird, impractical curves, entirely useless as borders, and you should definitely change them.

But I am too lazy to do so. Also I am not sure how to make correct straight vertical lines. I mean, I don't know how to do correct curve on the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.