Map Thread XVIII

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by FesteringSpore, Jul 28, 2018.

1. jennysnooper87 Proud Albish Citizen Since 2017

Do you plan to add more countries as you go? It'd help if you provided a map legend to go with it, so we could tell which is which.

2. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill

A) Yes I add more countries as I go.

B) Much of the colors used come from the COVFEFE color scheme.

3. jennysnooper87 Proud Albish Citizen Since 2017

Cool.

4. Tsar of New Zealand Sorry, this content cannot be viewed in your area Donor

The cov... good Lord.

Also, nice job on the South Island counties. That can't have been fun.

Tangle and Gian like this.
  5. Remitonov Yousoro~! :3

[​IMG]

DO IT

6. buihurbarb I make maps that are very unrealistic! Kicked

The Seven Way Cold War
    Every alliance has one billion people. Every alliance has over 100 nuclear bombs. The world is at a standstill.

Based on this map
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Americas and Oceania: Democracies, led by the USA and the exiled British Empire (Anglosphere)
    Africa: Anarchy, tribes united under an African Nametag.
    Europe: Controlled by fascists ever since 1943
    Northern Asia: The Soviets and the PRC set up communist regimes around here.
    Japan and Central China: After losing wars to the Soviets and the theocracies, Japan went shogunate and has an absolute dictator.
    Southern India: The Raj was freed by the Germans, but it descended into civil war and now consists of the Soviet puppet state to the north and the monarchies of Bangladesh, Myanmar, and India.
    Southern Asia: The new Heavenly Kingdom, the Siamese Empire, the Indonesians, and the Philippines are absolute theocracies.

wtw, TedBacon12, Pexa and 6 others like this.
  7. Flashman A Real Go-Getter

Honestly, fuck topography

Tangle and Minnesota_Nationalist like this.
  8. APeninSpace What are you even meant to put here?

What's wrong the Kazakh border? With the other Turkestani states (which has been fixed, btw) or with the Kuban SSR?

9. erty10089 Active Member

Attached Files:

10. B_Munro Member

Sure you can. There are a few simple steps to preventing its existence. First, you beat Genghis Khan...

11. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

The Damned Kazakh Border is a running gag on here. I don't have to much of a problem with it myself.

12. APeninSpace What are you even meant to put here?

Oh. Yeah, it is pretty shit.

Taloc13 likes this.
  13. Minchandre Well-Known Member

14. Emperor-of-New-Zealand It's a figure of speech

There used to be a slew of maps a few years ago where people didn't bother to change the borders of certain regions, such as South America, Africa, and Central Asia. It was usually claimed that these regions were unimportant, too difficult to change, or that the author of the map couldn't think of anything different to do there, but most chalked it up to laziness. In the end, the Kazakh border was one of the last things to still remain a "fixed point in time", where no matter the POD the border between Russia and Kazakhstan would always be as the Soviets drew it (even if there were no Soviets). So it became an AH.com meme.

It's not as frequently occurring as it once was, though.

15. APeninSpace What are you even meant to put here?

South Russia ssr.PNG

How's this for a fix? That sea in the bottom left is the Caspian for reference.

16. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Though of course part of my post was that it wasn't completely the same anyways. Though the part that was changed would actually have added more Russians and other groups.

Much worse. Your Central Asia already has issue where your put Turkic and Iranian speaking groups into the same area that is presumable to be based on linguistics and ethnicity, like IOTL. What you are doing here is what I suggested against, which is taking an area that the Russians settled, as well as cramming in millions of Ukrainians, Germans, Koreans, and numerous other groups. Trying to put in ASSRs might be better. Really though, this would simply be the most OTL part of the map you would have, as a great deal of non-Kazakh groups sent to the Kazakh SSR left after the Soviet Union broke up, as well as during the reforms and such in preceding decades I am unsure whether the majority of of them were in this area, but I would be surprised if there was more than a Russian pluralitt there, and if so why they would also have Siberia as separate. If you really want to make changes, check out this map. It is based on one from 1992, and shows where Kazakhs, Germans, Russians, and Ukrainians spilled over the Damned Border, as well as how much of Central Asia was unpopulated. Come to think of it, I have seen many maps where Afghanistan is split between the nearby SSRs while leaving a Baluchi and Pashto SSR as well, but I haven't seen any showing the Kazakhs, Tajiks, and Uzbeks moving into areas gained from China. Might be a thing to consider in the future. Just look over your story though and see if the borders you have in Central Asia are necessary. They might be... well, mountains are pretty high in some places.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_demography_of_Kazakhstan#/media/File:Central_Asia_Ethnic_en.svg

EDIT Ahhh wait, I thought you meant the trope of the Kazakh border in the previous post. Yah, there are problems are problems on this map, but most are in the south. You would need to right down details for eas SSR if I am to give more detailed criticisms or suggestions. I'd check out the OTL thread for maps, as well as looking up Omniatlas at how borders changed, then decide which works best with your POD. I might also suggest showing ASSRs, especially has having them progressively disappear is great at showing how ominous things are getting.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 1:12 AM
  17. Coluber Dirty Degredado

You wouldn't have by chance a blank (uncolored that is) version of this map with borders and rivers, would you?

Mako-Tochan likes this.
  18. Mako-Tochan Genderfluid Bosnia, apparently ?

upload_2018-11-9_10-2-20.png

I colored parts of a map I did, with Austria beating Prussia and being crowned Emperor of Germans (Deutschesvolk Kaiser) by acclamation in the Frankfurt Parliament. Dark Green states are either Part of Austria or ruled by a Hapbsurg or Hapsburg-something ruler.

19. Pexa Well-Known Member

And of course also the Post-glacial rebound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-glacial_rebound

20. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill

No (because as the dust eventually settle, the borders will inevitably change as well)

jennysnooper87 likes this.