Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 416881
During the Mexican-American War, the Californian Republic was declared as an independent state. It would go on to become a colonial power after first expanding into South America. Sri Lanka was purchased from the British and some conflicts were had with the Dutch and Portuguese over colonial territories. In Asia meanwhile, the British and Russians would come into conflict with a Great Wait breaking out between both sides as they split much of Asia between them. The Germans would later on involve themselves with the seizure of Japan and Korea.

Nice! How did California gain that much of Africa?

So I found this that I made a while back. I don't have any context.

upload_2018-10-28_21-45-37.png

Gian

Banned
So with permission of some of the creators, here's the latest update to my ASB map (still WIP btw)

asb.png

Any comments?

(I always found this idea rather fascinating, but the anime sadly doesn't really explore the real consequences of it. I do wonder what such a timeline would actually be like.)

I recall a short AH story set in a similar setting, where a pagan Celtic *Elizabeth is looking for allies against a reviving Christian western Empire and pondering a change of religion (the story doesn't really focus on that, though, it's mostly about a couple con men taking advantage of the religious uncertainty by reviving the cult of Glycon )

(I always found this idea rather fascinating, but the anime sadly doesn't really explore the real consequences of it. I do wonder what such a timeline would actually be like.)
Nice. It's been some time since I saw the anime, but I've always considered it a Britannian romanticization of their history--a claimed lineage much like 19th century romantic nationalism.

In the anime Code Geass, the earliest divergence from OTL goes all the way back to between 55 BC and 43 AD, when the Romans attempted to conquer Britannia. When Caesar arrived, one man, who would later be known as Alwin I, managed to unite the Celtic Briton tribes together against the invaders. As a result, Britannia never became a client state and remained a single united entity under Alwin's rule. An entity that would successfully push back any attempts at invasion and remain independent from, if not cultural influence, Roman conquest.

82fd6403daaccf94b321008419789fa6.jpg

Seriously though, it would have been interesting. The Britons have tried to form their own independent empire since the Romans walked in, but like the Goths and the Franks centuries later, they couldn't avoid deep cultural influence.
This is just a personal opinion, so don't take it too seriously:

1) Studying History, I came to the conclusion that a deep, ancient and often neglected undercurrent exists in the cultural development of Europe, from the Bronze Age and possibly earlier to today. In practice, two European Cultures exist: the classical Greco-Roman that we study in School on the shores of the Mediterranean Sea, and the more ancient Celto-Norse culture on the Atlantic.
While often snobbishly considered "barbaric", this second culture was actually more advanced than its Classic counterpart, almost "modern" in its approach to issues that we are barely rediscovering today but that have influenced the British (and by extension American) culture for centuries.
2) the main difference is that this "barbaric" culture was honor-based, centered around the heroic figure of a "Defender of the Land": Cuculain in the Irish Myths, Sir Lancelot in the Middle Ages, until we come to the modern concept of the "Super-Hero". Notice that this defender of the land didn't have to be male: think Boudicca, Joan of Arc, Anne Bonny, Lara Croft (all Historic except Lara Croft).
In short, what we have is a gallant, "Knightly" culture, opposed to the "Picaresque" culture of the Med.
3) As far as I know there is only another Knightly culture outside of Europe: that of Japan (ironically). A non-romanized Briton Empire would have looked similar to feudal Japan: while they wouldn't have been Samurai in the strict sense, there would have been a warrior elite following an elaborate code of honor. If that helps, think of the British Islands as a sort of Japan (even with a shogun-like King Arthur) and the Roman Empire as an ersatz China.
4) Also consider that the Gauls, under Roman rule, were very similar to the Britons culturally, but more exposed to Roman Influence. The Battle between the Roman and Briton Empire would have had Gaul as the main battlefield. Think of it as the Hundred-Years War lasting a Thousand Years.

Is that enough for a timeline?

Last edited:
Got to thinking about Africa with a lesser Colonial Rush.
POD Wilberforce fails to get anti-slavery act passed but the trade peters out anyway.
Interest in Africa lessens but existing relationships flourish for some.
The date of this is about 1903;
west 05.png

west 06.png west 07.png

With the same thought an alternative colonialism.
POD Russia wins the Crimean War.
View attachment 417088

As hard it would be to get a major victory in the Crimean War, but this seem pretty neat. You likely killed the Second French Empire, or at the very least Napoleon III's power is greatly limited by getting beaten by the Bear. Italian unification is pushed back, but only delayed. You see Russia riding on a wave of Pan-Orthodoxy with the decline of the Ottomans is set in stone with a independent Romania, a independent Bulgaria, ( Armenia if the Russians desire it.) and Austria-Hungary trying to get back in Russia's good set. And the almost guarantee of Russian control of the Turkish Straits. (London's greatest nightmare.)

As hard it would be to get a major victory in the Crimean War, but this seem pretty neat. You likely killed the Second French Empire, or at the very least Napoleon III's power is greatly limited by getting beaten by the Bear. Italian unification is pushed back, but only delayed. You see Russia riding on a wave of Pan-Orthodoxy with the decline of the Ottomans is set in stone with a independent Romania, a independent Bulgaria, ( Armenia if the Russians desire it.) and Austria-Hungary trying to get back in Russia's good set. And the almost guarantee of Russian control of the Turkish Straits. (London's greatest nightmare.)
Defeat in the Crimean War prompted significant social reforms in Russia, the government censure was lifted, some power was transferred to the Duma, Alexander II began currency reform, and most importantly, the serfs were liberated. This came on the heels of 30 years of government repression of opposition voices; failure to secure Russian interests in not only the Ottoman Empire but her own back yard lent credence to the idea that maybe the opposition to absolute, despotic Czarist rule had something worth saying. A victorious Russia in the Crimean War will have none of these things; you'd probably end up having a less-developed Russia overextend herself massively (though not impressively) and collapse in a much more dramatic and bloody fashion.

Defeat in the Crimean War prompted significant social reforms in Russia, the government censure was lifted, some power was transferred to the Duma, Alexander II began currency reform, and most importantly, the serfs were liberated. This came on the heels of 30 years of government repression of opposition voices; failure to secure Russian interests in not only the Ottoman Empire but her own back yard lent credence to the idea that maybe the opposition to absolute, despotic Czarist rule had something worth saying. A victorious Russia in the Crimean War will have none of these things; you'd probably end up having a less-developed Russia overextend herself massively (though not impressively) and collapse in a much more dramatic and bloody fashion.

Your right on the money on this one. You can look at it the same way a Russian Victory in the Russo-Japanese War: Stop the need for any well needed reforms, and push off modernization, as well as poison any hope of a Entente. (The Great Game continues and France is left out in the cold.)

You right after some Russian adventures, it comes undone even worst and faster in anything in OTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.