Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
My God. You seem to ignore that I've said it is bad. I'm not going to engage in this conversation any more.

“My idea of an ideal Algeria has the Tuaregs gone. By the way, did I mention ethnic cleansing is fine in Algeria?”

That’s what you’re saying. Do you see how you’re insinuating that the Tuaregs should be ethnically cleansed, even on accident?

Also, this is interesting. From the Algerian point of view, expelling the Tuaregs won't be such a bad thing. It is a bad thing but the viewpoints of the West and the East is different.

We must, after all, remember that we live in a world where some groups see rape, genocide, slavery and other terrible acts as okay. Once again, I am sure we can all condemn these acts. We must also accept that the world is a cruel place and the West is a beacon in the dark.

So what is the point I'm trying to make? Algerians and to a wider extent, the East, does not think the same as the West. I am myself from the East but grew up in the West so I am somewhere in between. This means that in the west I am more conservative than the Conservative Party of Britain and possibly even the Republicans yet I would be seen as an extremely liberal individual in the Muslim World.
I despise the "west/east" dichotomy, whether it is used to assert exceptionalism ("freedom and equal rights are western ideals, therefore the east is inherently inferior and backwards") or excuse the suppression of minority groups ("freedom and equal rights are western ideals, therefore the east doesn't need to have those").

Last edited:
I despise the "west/east" dichotomy, whether it is used to assert exceptionalism ("freedom and equal rights are western ideals, therefore the east is inherently inferior and backwards") or excuse the suppression of minority groups ("freedom and equal rights are western ideals, therefore the east doesn't need to have those").

Being a person from the East myself, I'd say that there is a divide- that there is a marked difference between "Western" and "Eastern values", but some things are just common sense.

Like not promoting ethnic cleansing.

upload_2018-10-8_21-30-20.png

The Romance Federation. There isn't much backstory to it. One I do like though is that following a German victory in World War I, anti-German sentiments rise within France and these attitudes merge with a pan-Romance belief to create a political ideology with major support within southern Europe. The Spanish royal family is massacred during a civil war between leftwingers and rightwingers. In the end, the rightwingers are victorious but they now rule over a very poor nation. Eventually, leaders from France, Spain and Italy come together and form the Romance Federation with the Italian monarch as Emperor of the Roman Empire who this federation claims descent from. Along the way they somehow lost Basque Country and Britanny.

1444.png

Today is Columbus Day, also celebrated as Indigenous People's Day, so I figure now is a good time to post this map that will eventually accompany my TL Guns, Germs, and Good Intentions. All American Indian Reservations are ISOTed to the year 1418, the map takes place 25 years later, when the uptimers, their allies, and the uptimer-influenced nations have banded together in a sort of EU-type free trade area, mutual defense treaty, and nascent multinational entity called the Federation of American Peoples.

(Spoiler, I guess, but it's in the intro post of the TL so idk)

1444.png

Today is Columbus Day, also celebrated as Indigenous People's Day, so I figure now is a good time to post this map that will eventually accompany my TL Guns, Germs, and Good Intentions. All American Indian Reservations are ISOTed to the year 1418, the map takes place 25 years later, when the uptimers, their allies, and the uptimer-influenced nations have banded together in a sort of EU-type free trade area, mutual defense treaty, and nascent multinational entity called the Federation of American Peoples.

(Spoiler, I guess, but it's in the intro post of the TL so idk)

Cool! :extremelyhappy:

I would like to see how they interact with the Europeans, hopefully, they are more MLK rather than Malcolm X.

Anno Domini 1800
1800 WIP.png

POD: Charles II of Ireland becomes Catholic, causing Parliament to reject him as a candidate for a successor to Cromwell. Richard Cromwell becomes Lord Protector instead.

Skallagrim

Banned
All American Indian Reservations are ISOTed to the year 1418

Wouldn't this ISOT just mean that the uptimers - who carry all sorts of modern diseases, and are resistant to them - unwittingly just unleash the same kind of mass-killing epidemics as befell the Native Americans in OTL, but just starting 74 years early? hey have modern medical knowledge and supplies, but their numbers and means are limited. The diseases will spread faster than they can move to help. They'll minimise the damage, but there's still going to be Black Death levels of dying at the very minimum. (Okay, unless the ASB magically prevents this, of course.)

Skallagrim

Banned
POD: Charles II of Ireland becomes Catholic, causing Parliament to reject him as a candidate for a successor to Cromwell. Richard Cromwell becomes Lord Protector instead.

Cool: Irish Carolina, probably still named Carolina! Double cool: Nova Scotia is actually Scottish here

(Triple cool, and this is a really weird thing to notice: that Dutch bit of America actually has the general shape of the Seventeen United Netherlands. Tell me you did that on purpose.)

Sorry to say, but if the Mod wants to keep you dig your hole, you're digging that hole; to end this today, either accept a ban or just say whatever you think CalBear wants to hear. You're in trouble.
This seems just a wee bit arguing in poor faith. Ethnic cleansing is genocide by default, advocacy of which is one of the Eight Ways To Crash-Land. Makes sense that a mod would want someone to make abundantly clear that they weren't doing that if the wording were unfortunately ambiguous.

Anno Domini 1800
View attachment 413168
One issue. Richard Cromwell DID become a Lord Protector IOTL. If you mentoined this from an instory point of view it might work, but at this point the cause doesn't match the effect. Or something like that. You also seem to have wanked Granada, New Granada, and, I assume, Grenada and the Grenadines.

Which are the other Seven? I'm afraid I don't fully recall them.

- Support of Nazism
- Holocaust denial
- Advocating genocide or other mass murder
- Threats to inflict "real life" harm, including lawsuits, on other members
- Committing otherwise non-banning offenses using technology to conceal your IP address
- Getting around being kicked or banned by posting from another account (a "sockpuppet")
- "Spam" trolling (posting many deliberate trolls all over the place)
- Trolling immediately after signing up

Wouldn't this ISOT just mean that the uptimers - who carry all sorts of modern diseases, and are resistant to them - unwittingly just unleash the same kind of mass-killing epidemics as befell the Native Americans in OTL, but just starting 74 years early? hey have modern medical knowledge and supplies, but their numbers and means are limited. The diseases will spread faster than they can move to help. They'll minimise the damage, but there's still going to be Black Death levels of dying at the very minimum. (Okay, unless the ASB magically prevents this, of course.)

I go over this in the first post of the TL! My research suggest that modern medical technology - even things as simple as basic sanitary procedures, proper care for the infected, and establishing quarantines, but going all the way up to vaccines - would vastly reduce the mortality rate. You'd still get large dieoffs, to be sure, but the rate would be less than the hundreds of millions of OTL and possibly "only" in the tens of millions.

After that, access to modern medical technology (which would not only prevent further outbreaks but reduce infant mortality rates), and modern agricultural practices would increase native populations far faster than IOTL - and keep in mind, the uptimers aren't just cleaner than Europeans of the time (their cities are remarkably sanitary compared to 15th Century London or Paris), they're actively trying to give the downtimers a leg up, compared to the Europeans who ground them down over hundreds of years or war, genocide, and forced removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.