Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not yet, I suck at writing. Both in forms and in timing. I fear that starting a thread now would only leave it with weeks of inactivity at a time up. So until I can form a solid outline of the timeline, I am not starting a thread. As of now, I am mainly just posting maps/ getting feedback on concepts.

Ah, ok. Well, I, for one, would like to see more of your maps, including on this scenario. I'm assuming that the western Vesperia map you posted earlier is from the same TL.

What is this? Xianfeng Emperor finishing something?

No fancy, overly long writeup this time. Kinda unhappy with how it turned out, but it had just been infuriatingly sitting on my desktop for...I don't even know how long.

eQ2DWJO.png
Kemet reigns supreme, the Forth Era when Egypt pieced itself together from the great age of troubles of times past. It was a time when Kemet threw off its greatest disgrace: the Kushite Dynasty that snaked its way up the Nile, conquering city after city in the name of their great heathen God in Jebel Barkal. The Kushite Dynasty, that great disgrace to the subjects of Amun-Ra was purged from the scrolls of history, the dark-skinned Nubian subjected to the greatest of retributions. Kemet's armies roamed the Kushite kingdoms until all that remained was a broken population.

The 26th Dynasty that came next restored Kemet's place in the sun. Conquests were launched in all directions to prevent such a disgrace from happening ever again. Settlers were dispatched across the South, forcing the Nubians to flee for D'mt, where new wars were sparked. To the North, Judea was conquered, Egyptian supremacy was secured over the Levant and inroads were made into Mesepotamia.

Now, even the deserts of Arabia have been tamed by Himyarite client states, and the great city of Babylon has been tamed at last. Not only does the Nile feed the ancient civilization, so do the arteries of the Tigris and Eupharates. Nothing remains of the old era of dissolution--even the Great Jebel Barkal, a miracle of nature has been defaced with all the ingenuities of man.

But of course, to have created such ingenuities, Kemet has had its fair share of contributions: it has brought stability to a land of constant war, facilitated trade from far off Achaemenid India and Qart Hadast, lands beyond the reach of even the greatest traveller. Miracles of enginerring have enabled Kemet to sail each corner of the known world. Achaemenid merchants that dwell in Thebes even talk of a land beyond the vast mountains that dot the Abode of the Snow, a land of infinite wealth and gold-laden streets, a land known only as Chu.

It is an age of oppression; it is an age of opulence. It is an age of brutality; it is an age of the arts blossoming full.

Another map. This one is less satisfactory for me to be quite honest. I need to learn writing better description.

divine_blessing_and_mortal_wisdom_by_elusivexeno-dbvzdtd.png

This world diverge from ours shortly after the ascension of Osman II, the young gifted Ottoman Sultan through overthrowing Mustafa II in a coup. IOTL, Mustafa’s mother and Vali, Halime was responsible for cutting his rule short by mobilizing her networks of allies in harem, administration and janissaries to overthrow and murder Osman II. In here, her son had a severe episode of depression and committed suicide. His mother, plagued with grief, lost her touch with politics and then passed away rather shortly after. This did not prevent a Janissary rebellion later, but without Halime’s hand in it failed to overthrow the young Osman. On his part, surviving his assassination attempt imbued a lesson to heart that the Janissaries were still too strong, thus he chose to reconcile with them, giving him time consolidate his own power and wait until the right time to strike. He reigned for another 20 years before he passed away, officially due to illness though it was widely suspected he was poisoned. After his passing, his crown prince became the Sultan, which means his mother became Valide Sultan and chief of the harem, and together they pushed through Osman II’s agendas to abolish the Janissaries and reform the military and the state. Janissaries, who were mostly recruited from Balkan and Caucasian Christians, were replaced by a new force that were drawn from mainly ethnic Turks. With stronger, fresh armed forces formed just decades prior, it means Ottomans were more successful in later Great Turkish War, in which Vienna was successfully occupied if only temporarily. All of Hungary thus fell to Turkish rule, and will remain so for a long time.

The reform also had other effect of increasing Turkish settlement in European territories, in tandem with administrative reform and centralization pushing for more infrastructure and connection between administrative and economic centers with rural countryside and each other, kicking off urbanization and nurturing a class of entrepreneurs, craftsmen and service providers, aka. the middle class. In short, the ingredients necessary for industrialization. Like our world’s Bakufu Japan, the changes made it prepared for the incoming change brought by western progress later to have its own Meiji. Unlike Japan however, Ottoman Empire is just next door to Europe, meaning that it was at least updated on state of art weapons technology and military doctrines, with military and supporting state structure sufficiently effective to keep up. It means that it won’t hurry to adopt wholesale western discourse and political model when faced with European explosion in technological progress and industrial revolution in 19th century even as the system decays(which will not approach anywhere near OTL level). Instead it means more equal exchange of ideas between the west and Islamic world. For the west, it means western statehood and political ideologies are mobilized by incorporating Islamic MOs and philosophies, enabling them to take form of identitarian populism(Assabiyah), as well as strengthening and standardization of nationalism in liberal discourse. While for Islamic world, which adopts capitalism and industrialism but without liberal discourse package, means that consequential social transformation under industrialization translates to recontextualization of Assabiyah rivalry and millenarianism under the new industrial context, begetting radical religious interpretations revolving around society’s material structure and its distribution of wealth. All while Islamic political framework also provides political model for anti-liberal western conservatives as well as for non western countries which aim for modernization package where liberal democracy is absent.

The rest is history. As per OTL, Jacobin revolution set Europe towards the path of consolidation of nation states, which as stated prior went overall stronger due to unavoidable Islamic influence. On the other hand. Ottoman model of industrialization spread eastward to oriental empires that could afford to emulate it. It translates to series of wars between industrializing nations and empires across Europe and Eurasia, culminating in the Great World War at the turn towards 20th century. Then, more followed, such as more industrial wars, then revolutions and decolonizations. While a single full scale industrial war inspired pacifism and reconciliation in Europe, industrial warfare still drew the appetite of former gunpowder empires to the east for a bit longer. The Great Eurasian War erupted in 1925 between the great despots of Russia, Persia, China and Ottoman Empire ended up in stalemate and political chaos sweeping through the region. Following these wars were emergence of radical forces. In Europe the Jacobin ideology rebounded by the general Republican revolution sweeping across the continent, before formally unifying into European Federation. Islamic world however saw the emergence of polarizing and jeopardizing radical discourses, with Russian Empire brought down by Jacobin revolution and Iran by millenarian Islamist movement, a trend which ripples through the entire Islamic world, most notably to West Africa.

It was this swinging geopolitical equilibrium that then gave rise to division of the world into two camps espousing different global aspirations. United States, here not butterflied away yet developed differently due to more radical and complete reconstruction, inspired by liberal capitalism embarked on anti-European foreign policy to wrestle global market from European colonialism, which led to approach and trade with Asian Empires, meddling and undermining in European colonies in Africa and South Asia, and eventually rolled into Global Initiative, a movement initially aimed to connect the global market which became belligerent in the face of rising radical ideologies and renewed European ambition, this time under Jacobinist dressing.

Global Initiative:

Led by the United States and participated by major powers such as Ottoman Empire, China and Indonesia, the Global Initiative was at first formed to liberalize trade between United States and its allies, but then quickly transformed into a mutual security alliance to respond the rise of ideological challenges and threats to global trade, mainly Jacobinism. From the very beginningm Global Initiative espouses the ideal of a peaceful global order where trade can flourish regardless of cultural differences. In response to the rise of radical and reactionary ideologies, it develops a dialectic where the end goal of the world is mutual prosperity and that global market integration is the way to achieve it, and as such humanism must be based on mutual understanding and cooperation between nations and cultures, instead of forcing one’s own ideology and creed upon the other. Being a massive and disparate network of alliance, it is effectively consisted of three sub-bloc, the American bloc consisting of ANASAC and other American client states, the Ottoman-led Islamic bloc that stretches all the way to Mozambique, and the Indian Rim Forum.

Jacobinist States:

It is less a formal alliance and more of an ad-hoc grouping of nations under Jacobin ruling ideology. The Jacobins espouse the classic enlightenment brand of humanism as the only possible conclusion of human civilization and strive to spread the Jacobin revolution to unite the entire humanity under the ideals of individual rationality, liberty and equality. As it has won over the entire European sphere, it has set its eyes to the remaining “despotic”, “feudal” and “superstitious” dictatorial regimes around the world and seek to replace them with democratic republican system. Thus they have come into conflict with the Global Initiative who prefers coexistence and free trade. Ostensibly democratic, democracy in fact varies from one Jacobin state to another. The two largest Jacobin states, Democratic Republic of Russia and Azad Hindustan are semi-military junta and single party regime respectively, if with stated long term goal of completing democratization as in principle, a humanist world state is Jacobin’s vision of humanity.

Aside from the two global movements, there are also smaller important ideological currents. The Catholic world outside of Jacobin-ruled Europe and global initiative countries is divided between two ideologies: the naturalists and the liberationists. The naturalists espouse reactionary form of nation building based on natural law and religiously sanctioned hierarchy while adopting oriental industrialization model, while the liberationists are vanguarded by diehard catholic missionaries hell bent on removing corruption and injustice within Roman Catholic Church in order to legitimize the proselytization of Catholic faith, and have supported anti-colonial and anti-aristocratic movements such as in Camerún and Charcas respectively. More concerning case however lies in Islamic world, where two major radical epicenters have emerged. One in Persia where millenarian Shia movement overthrew the late Afsharid dynasty and replace it with a claimant to Ali’s lineage, which oversaw massive social reform as well as redistribution of wealth and land on the expense of traditional land lords and nomadic grazers, as well as experimenting with a form of popular participation centered around guilds and unions, although it quickly degenerated into Soviet-esque exploitative totalitarianism. Shia millenarianism, without saying, bears no appeal to its immediate neighbors who see it as ideological and geopolitical threat, such as it remains hostile to both Global Initiative and the Jacobinists. Another is the Sahel in West Africa, where dan Fodio’s Caliphate of Sudan once briefly unified. Originating in state ideological reform to centralize the empire and expand its influence and ideology, and later its backfire as the agitated masses outside of Hausa realm turned toward the caliphate as well as antagonizing other major muslim empires of Ottomans and Morroco, a new strand of populist ideology emerged in former Sudanese client of Wassoulou. Instead of simple centralization and depriving opposition lords of their labor, the new emir of Wassoulou visionizes an industrialized Islamic Sahel society where egalitarianism and meritocracy rules supreme, tapping the maximum potential of Sudanese people to once again become a center of Islamic civilization. Needless to say, both Ottomans and Morocco view this radical awakening as an ideological threat and will not stand by on its growth. Despite American urging for restrain, a major war was inevitable. By February 1970, the alliance of Morocco and Ottoman Empire begins invasion into the Sahel states.

Edited the description because I wasn't satisfied with the previous version.

There's a thing called too much, and in one day you spammed 7 maps of dubious quality. Slow it down, mate.

Meanwhile, do you understand the concept of butterflies? With a PoD far enough back to make these work, you soul see ample changes around the world. Just something to consider.
Well I hope this isn't too dubious for you, plus I made the PoD occur in the 1840s-1860s, current year is 1920
upload_2017-12-16_14-46-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-16_14-45-21.png
    upload_2017-12-16_14-45-21.png
    480.1 KB · Views: 264

Skallagrim

Banned
A wildly more ambitious ATL version of the Zuiderzeewerken. Or: the Dutch choose to drain the entire Zuiderzee (and a part of the Waddenzee). I was inspired by the idea being discussed in this thread. Since it's a map, and this is the map thread, I might as well put it here, too.

zuiderzee-skallagrim-png.360600

This map is my own personal proposal, based on various OTL proposals that weren't carried out. Mostly based on the highly similar proposals by Wenmaekers and by Buma. In fact, the map is adapted from the map of Wenmaekers' proposal. (Original map created by a Dutch government agency and intended for public use, just so that's clear.)

In OTL, nothing this ambitious ever came close to actually being done. The above plans by Wenmaekers (specifically his final revision) and by Buma were both published in 1883. Buma was, in fact, the instigator of the actual projecty. Together with engineer P.J.G. van Diggelen, Buma founded the Zuiderzeevereniging ("Zuiderzee Association") in 1886. This organisation investigated whether such plans could be carried out, and if so, how best to do it. The man leading that investigation was Cornelis Lely, and his advice towards moderation was followed in the end. Lely concluded that a lot of area covered by the more ambitious drainage plans had more sandy soil, with less clay, and would be far less fit for agriculture. Simply weighing costs versus benefits, Lely concluded that using only the most suitable areas for inpoldering was the best bet.

But that's no fun from an AH perspective, so let's say that engineer Lely gets some big job in another country and isn't available to run the investigation into the possible plans. Thus, Buma, Wenmaekers and Van Diggelen are the leading lights of the project. All three favour large-scale drainage, and they get carried away a bit. Perhaps their desire to see the project completed leads them to be (a bit too) optimistic about the soil quality, and they ultimately propose an ambitious version of the Zuiderzeewerken. A big selling point would be that an outer dike going from island to island would be the most effective way of closing off the entire internal body of water. In OTL, Lely considered building a dike there a difficulty because of water depth, but it wasn't impossible. He just projected that costs would be higher, and - again - a less ambitious plan would be cheaper. (He rationalised this using his conclusion that soil quality of drained land up north would be inferior-- if that conclusion is avoided, I suspect a cost-benefit analysis based on different assumptions would show that the island-dike is the best option.)

So. After that, we wait for a great flooding disaster, which was the impetus for the Zuiderzeewerken in OTL. What do we end up with? If a wildly ambitous project to drain the entire Zuiderzee were to be carried out, I'd expect it to be a fusion of the earlier proposals, optimised in regards to canal placement. Having looked at it for a while, comparing the various proposed canal routes and their key funtions, as well as considering the need for roads (and sluices) between the various polders, I came up with the above map.

A potential problem, which I took into account as well, is what the Dutch call inklinking. I can't think of a good translation for this, except perhaps 'sinkage'. That is: the process whereby surrounding land loses volume because of receding groundwater. The result is that the drained land ends up 'sinking' quite a bit. The sinking of the ground level may in turn cause breaches of the dikes surrounding the drained land. It's why the drained land in OTL was to some extent surrounded by lakes, and in all cases filled with a considerable setwork of canals and other waterways. This keeps the groundwater levels up, preventing 'sinkage'.

Much largers drainage projects would near-inevitably run into this problem. The Noordoostpolder ran into it to some extent in OTL, being not entirely surroundend by lakes as the Flevopolder is. Even the Flevopolder caused more 'sinkage' than expected, however, simply due to its size. An ambitious plan to drain the entire Zuiderzee would no doubt run into this problem. Furthermore, going with one big polder would cause a major obstacle to shipping.

For these reasons, I have avoided one big polder. Instead, I have gone with multiple polders, intersected by major canals and surrounded by substantial lakes. Thus, shipping isn't hindered, and 'sinkage' of the land is hopefully prevented and at least minimised.

Well I hope this isn't too dubious for you, plus I made the PoD occur in the 1840s-1860s, current year is 1920
View attachment 360644
For the lore, Nader Shah is not assassinated in 1847, his reign continues until the 1860's, where his sons will continue the Afsharid dynasty, while the military successes of the Afsharids begin to slump in the mid 19th century, the economy begins to recover from previous mass military spending, a campaign is led into central asia leading to a Persian consolidation of power, the ottomans and Russians however slowly begin taking land in the west over the course of the 1830's-1870's, during this time Persia modernizes as all of its domestic policies allow it do so, without the afghans, there is no great game, and so the British and Persians begin to trade more and have more open relations, small border skirmishes and even a war occur until the british and persians sign a treaty allowing Persia to own all of the land west of the Indus river valley, while the land on the right remains as a part of the British Raj, this also causes a decline of muslims in the British Raj, with the policies of Nader Shah and afsharid dynasty still inplace, Persia by this point in time would be roughly half sunni- half shia, with a large christian minority.

During world war 1, the Persians copy Japan and enter the war through their alliance with the British, the Persians use this opportunity to gain all lands in the ottoman empire east of the Euphrates, meanwhile with the Russian revolution, the Persian military moves in to occupy azerbaijan and the rest of the caucases, they attempt to befriend the new state of Georgia, and develop an alliance against the Bolsheviks, the Persians aid the Georgians attempting to guarantee their freedom, you could say another version of the great game erupts, except it is between the Bolsheviks, the Persians, over Georgia.

A fine map! but wouldn't the US

The Central Powers, with the aid of the United States would go on to defeat the Triple Entente. The United Kingdom would drop out of the war with mild territorial changes in a mostly white peace. However the costs for Russia and France would be great.

then pursue some territorial claims vs Canada? The loss of the Old Northwest has got to rankle.

The series must go on !
The declaration of independence of the Greek Republic of Thrace and the Czechs in Prague led the Germans to demand Poznania from Russia. Russia refused, and Germany declared war on Russia.
The Polish insurrection has largely molten down since Poznan is a high place of Polish nationalism and thus the Poles overall decided to side with Russia to resume the conflict when the Russians would start winning. The Slovenes just happen to be in the wrong place. And the Finns were put down by the garrison of St Petersburg.
England declared war on the British Coalition - the Kingdom of Scotland and the other dependencies of the house of Windsor in Wales and Cornwall.
Operations planned :
Louisiane_3op.png

Occupation by the end of August :
Louisiane_3oc.png

Well, you can thank the seigneurial system for that.

It's not like they just happened to settle on that idea when they first made them...

Wait wait, that was OTL? ...Huh, and here I just thought it was artistic license.

Learn something new every day here, it seems. Thanks!

A fine map! but wouldn't the US

then pursue some territorial claims vs Canada? The loss of the Old Northwest has got to rankle.

The Old Northwest is basically a continuation of the classic 'Canada lives below the 49th' trope of OTL. When these areas were taken only a couple dozen thousand people lived there, very low for the area. At the time of the War, tens of millions of people lived there. The US taking these provinces would be the equivalent of Canada taking New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.