Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know where I can download a copy of windows picture manager? As a new aspect of my moving over from the old, glitchy computer to the new one, and to start making maps on the new one, I have discovered you can't just double click on a .png and have it displayed in an easily expanded size: no, you have to pick a program, and none of them simply displays the way you want without fiddling, or at all, or you have to open with new paint...why is that people can never update a computer system without making it worse in some way?

Anyone know where I can download a copy of windows picture manager? As a new aspect of my moving over from the old, glitchy computer to the new one, and to start making maps on the new one, I have discovered you can't just double click on a .png and have it displayed in an easily expanded size: no, you have to pick a program, and none of them simply displays the way you want without fiddling, or at all, or you have to open with new paint...why is that people can never update a computer system without making it worse in some way?

I know that feeling. When I upgraded my laptop earlier this year, I had to do the same. Thankfully I still have the registry files for that. The file names are in German, but I think they should be self-explanatory. Just double click on the activation one and presto, you should be able to use it again (just make sure you've set the Picture Manager to open PNGs). Also it might be that for you, too, it'll only preview all pictures in a folder in ascending alphabetical order instead of adjusting to searches or folder configurations, so be aware of that.

(also sorry that I'm attaching a ZIP archive here)

Attachments

• preview.zip
    717 bytes · Views: 171
WIP. I'm adding notes as I go, so I don't forget ideas I come up with before it's done.

( @Ephraim Ben Raphael, hope you don't mind my borrowing your idea re the polyps in Australia. It's sort of obvious that they'd notice the new neighbors).

View attachment 355357
Goddammit. The French somehow manage to sell out French Polynesia in order to save themselves? And possible annex the Belgian rump, though it seems a border pixel still remains. What is going on in Bornholm? Can't zoom in enough to see if it is purple or blue. And I am intrigued to see what happens with Svalbard.

Goddammit. The French somehow manage to sell out French Polynesia in order to save themselves? And possible annex the Belgian rump, though it seems a border pixel still remains. What is going on in Bornholm? Can't zoom in enough to see if it is purple or blue.

In progress - that's an artifact of the basemap.

Or are you pulling my leg?

In progress - that's an artifact of the basemap.

Or are you pulling my leg?
On my iPad, can't zoom in enough to tell what color Bornholm is. I know, odd how I can see the pixel on the Belgian border but not the color of the island. Since it is a WIP, I just figured to mention the border area so that it would be fixed before your final map. Ahhh, and I still the Vatican City colored the way it is because it is its usual color or because it is in the minor state category?

Last edited:

Faeelin

Banned
I would actually love if the French have manged to hold on, as a nice subversion on AH Tropes.

"Our cultists, you see, protected the line of Christ."

Excellent as always @B_Munro . Although I guess 8 is going to end up as Tsan-Chan?

I would actually love if the French have manged to hold on, as a nice subversion on AH Tropes.

"Our cultists, you see, protected the line of Christ."

Oh, now you're giving me ideas.

"Admittedly, some people had trouble adjusting to the changes in the Sacrament, and suicide rates remain high among those who harvest His ever-growing flesh."

"Admittedly, some people had trouble adjusting to the changes in the Sacrament, and suicide rates remain high among those who harvest His ever-growing flesh."
Oh dear. I suppose that hunchbacks in Notre Dame are going to become the norm.

Austria-Croatia

austriacroatia.jpg

Austria loses the Hungarian revolution maybe? Mostly I just made a map to go with a flag.

Last edited:
So I finally got around to finishing a world map based off a scenario I wrote up in fifth grade...

English World
upload_2017-11-17_19-3-17.png

So... pretty much it's just a Britwank that makes absolutely no sense... a world with entities like the Cathayan Dominion of South Iberia, Spanish/German/British colonies in Mexico, a balkanized Austria for no particular reason, the Russian Republic of South France and an uber-Scandinavia. I'm not even going to bother doing a writeup, since highlight quotes from the original writeup are far more interesting:

You know the story of Roanoke, right? The settlers went there but disappeared. But, let's rewind 37 years back to 1550. Queen Elizabeth was under pressure. Neighbouring Scotland, Ireland and Brittany felt that if they united with England, they would become all powerful and colonize all of the New World. Elizabeth accepts and since it was a "united" country and it was a kingdom, it should be called the United Kingdom. They quickly rise to power, but then after lethal pressure, it nearly collapses but it then rises back to power. What will happen to familiar friends like the UK, Russia, Australia, Canada and France, as well as new allies including New England, California, Superior, Carolina, and West Africa?

Before we start, here is an editor's note
I know this page is super long. Sometime in the future I plan to make this much more organised, and multiple pages for different events. I am also planning to cut out parts of the TL I don't really feel "fit in". I must also note that I use butterfly effect, and there may be some nations that diverged and I never mentioned how. However, I will try and provide a divergence in the country's page.

War with France
On May 31, 1632, the UK declared war against France. France "knew" they would win the war, and made a bet with England saying that if the UK won, portions of northern France and OTL New Jersey, eastern Pennsylvania, Eastern Virginia, Acadia, Quebec, Ontario and the Delmarva to England.

England asked some allies for help. These are:

China

Scandinavia

Russia

3 allies of very large size. With this, some Chinese, Scandinavians, and Russians came to reside in Massachusetts. This greatly increased the racial diversity of the colony. When the war began, three million people called the growing colony home. Much of this population lives in the Three Cities, Cape Cod, and Long Island. The first battle was the Battle of Acadia. It took place in Maine, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. The UK won this battle, on June 9, 1632.

Flood
On June 7, 1632, a massive flood flooded portions of Acadia and Quebec. The flood was very large and caused permanent geographical changes: most notably portions of Acadia, Quebec, and OTL Newfoundland (Vinland) and Labrador (part of Quebec) submerged in the ocean. It was known as the Great Acadian Deluge. Tens of hundreds of major French military bases were destroyed. This happened during the Battle of Quebeckecadia.

Back to war
2 months after the deluge, the war continued with the Battle of Nouveau Paris (New Paris). France won this battle and prevented the UK from annexing it... for now. However, France was convinced they could still win, even after the deluge and loss of many minor battles.

The War ends - at last
The war closed up with the Battle of Florida. England and her allies had many times more men than Spain did. Spain joined the war on France's side after learning of England's annexation of OTL North Carolina's Outer Banks, which were under loose Iberian control. The Battle of Florida ended with an English victory. King Charles made sure 100,000 troops were in Florida to control the area. France was outraged to losing. But they gave England the land anyway. Those areas became largely English, compared to OTL Quebec, where they speak French. Unlike other territory that is admitted into Massachusetts, Florida is a separate colony comprising of OTL Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, and Mississippi. Northern Ontario and northern Quebec are also governed as a separate colony too, Ontario.

The Allied French War
The war started in 1680. The British Allies got a bad start. France was able to put Nantes and London under siege long enough to make camps there. The Chinese discovered a powerful substance named carbon monoxide, capable of killing a person. The Allies begin to develop carbon monoxide "bom boms". "bom boms" is a bomb. They drop some on Paris, killing 500 people, including some military nobles. It wasn't enough, and Iberia developed bombardero tanque (bomber tank). Iberia had developed a El hombre del tanque (man tank), a super-armour. They use this to invade the Tri-cities, Dublin, London, Nantes, and Cardiff. However, they were limitedly produced, and some Chinese spies are able to steal the instructions. They reconstruct it into a 剑圣 (juggernaut), which has a missile box, carbon monoxide laser, quad rifle, and armour that does not only weigh a soldier down, but deflects missiles and allows the soldier to run a little faster. They left a note for Charles II: 这是一个剑圣,它会使男人几乎是无敌的。它应该帮助你,英国的不列颠群岛和布列塔尼,来取下来的法兰西帝国,皮埃蒙特大区和伊比利亚和可能的附件部分。The Chinese also agree to change the country's name to Cathay and to call themselves Cathayans.

The allies then decide to roam around France, obliterate and annex portions of the coast, and do the same thing to portions of Iberia. Then they would pretend to weakly siege Paris and then destroy it. The French weren't smart enough to decode their plan. A Frenchman who had recently visited England found out about the plan but the other French laughed at him, thinking "Ce n'est pas possible. Comment peut-on tirer à la carabine triple? Ceux n'existent même pas. Peut-être que dans le futur. Mais pour le moment nous sommes simples et nous utilisons des fusils en bois." However, they were proven wrong later. Then France made the fatal mistake of annexing Piedmont. Piedmont asked for help and the Allies came to its rescue. Piedmont seceded from the French Empire and became an Ally.

Anglo-Japan and Cathay
Russia and Cathay had a bitter relationship with Japan. They wanted to Anglify it, so they asked England for help. Cathay and Russia would secede a bit of territory in return. On July 14, 1689, the Allies invade Japan. Japan was weak on military because they were a "peaceful" country that tried to wiggle out of war. The Allies quickly get Tokyo under siege and successfully annex the country into the Allies. England gets southernmost Japan (Anglo-Japan), Russia gets the northern islands of Japan (Южно-Сибирский Японии [South Siberian Japan]), and China gets the rest (East Cathay). However, many Japanese set out on a great journey, and they land on the OTL Aleutian Islands and call them 日本外共和国 (Outer Republic of Japan). Then some Japanese sail north and find the mysterious Northwest Passage. At the same time, England found it. Vinlandic-English explorer Robert Newmansson took off from Bristol, Massachusetts, then sailed up north into Acadia and stopped at Port Vintown, on the northwest coast of Vinland. He sailed north into Greenland and then sailed through the Northwest Passage. When he returns he tells of the great discovery. Before he had came, a great deluge flooded OTL northern Alaska and Canada.

It's almost surreal
At the turn of the century, in Boston, an "odd" looking man asks a boy where he is. The boy responds "Isn't it obvious? You're in Boston, Massachusetts, one of the tri-cities!" The man says "Tri-cities? I need a map." The boy hands one and he is super surprised. He notices flooded Acadia, how big Massachusetts is, the Northwest Passage, and how different America is. This man, a scientist from the 21st century, got transported into this alternate world after experimenting with alternate universe time rifts. He realizes how much he can advance this world. He writes a book about all the amazing discoveries made after the current time he is in. Scientists get hold of the book and are so surprised they try out everything in the book. They were SUPER surprised. News reaches London on this discovery. They point out the ones that make life easier and funner. Parliament orders plugs to be installed in every home. Then they say to start producing "Game Buddies" (something like a Game Boy). Game Buddy is popular, especially in Massachusetts, England, Ireland, Australia, and Vinland. Soon after, a deluxe version is produced, the Game Buddy Touch. Computers and gaming consoles become popular in all of the Empire and her allies. Then they come up with a plan: nuke France. In the sheds of New York, a nuclear bomb, nicknamed "Save the Allies", is produced. Scientists also learn how nuclear power can vaporize people instantly. They produce "nuclear tanks" and "nuke lasers". They make a "micronuke" bomb that is strong enough to vaporize someone and maybe someone next to them but not so powerful that it devastates even the Allies. They even construct PLANES.

On April 7, 1734, the British and Californians march off from New Dedham, the capital of New English Yucatan, on way to Nuevo Barcelona, the capital of Mexico. They siege the city with a nuclear bomb, nicknamed "Big Taco", and for a celebration the group eat tacos. Then the alliance go to Tenochitlan, the capital of the Iberian province of Aztekia. The British do the same as what they did to Nuevo Barcelona. They celebrate with Spanish-styled burgers. The last city to invade was Lisvegas, in OTL Las Vegas. The name of Lisvegas came from the Portuguese city of Lisbon, and the local natives named the Vegens. The Arizona triangle fell into anarchy and was annexed by California. Mexico was significantly weakened and portions of the colony were annexed.

TL;DR The UK somehow becomes a thing in the early 16th century, colonizes the world, and nukes the French a couple dozen times.

It would be pretty funny if somehow France survived. It has...some atom bombs.

But man I love this map so much already.

I know that feeling. When I upgraded my laptop earlier this year, I had to do the same. Thankfully I still have the registry files for that. The file names are in German, but I think they should be self-explanatory. Just double click on the activation one and presto, you should be able to use it again (just make sure you've set the Picture Manager to open PNGs). Also it might be that for you, too, it'll only preview all pictures in a folder in ascending alphabetical order instead of adjusting to searches or folder configurations, so be aware of that.

(also sorry that I'm attaching a ZIP archive here)

Thank you very much!

I know I have commissions to finish, but ever now and then I just get an urge to map something, and running into this thread activated it. So here's a silly map with a variety of anachronisms and contradictory backstories.

FunnyColonials.png

fashbasher

Banned
POD: Lucy Beeton is actually crowned "Queen of the Isles" and is granted her own territory within the Commonwealth; upon her death, the throne passes to her brothers as she remains childless. Butterflies and rule of cool (Jews) leads to a balkanized Australia and the world's only Jewish and Aboriginal monarchy.
IsKu7Gg.png

The Kingdom of Truwana is the world's only Jewish-led monarchy and the only country to have an Indigenous Australian head of state. Founded by a prominent family of mixed Jewish/Tasmanian Aboriginal heritage, Truwana was recognized as a duchy by Queen Victoria and eventually was elevated to its own kingdom when it followed the rest of the Australian territories to independence in the early 1900s. While its first queen Lucy I was a Christian, upon her childless death her brothers grew more attached to their Judaic roots and the royal line has since alternated between Jewish and Christian rulers. With a population of over 300,000 in an area roughly the size of Malta (maybe a titch bigger), Truwana is a thriving developed economy with a predominantly half-caste population of Anglo-Celtic, Jewish, and Aboriginal population; over 30% of Truwanans profess Judaism, many of whom are descended from Jewish refugees from the World Wars. First and last names reflect a mixture of the source ethnic groups. The most common boys' names in 2014-2016 were Isaac, Will, Luke, Moe, and Frank. For girls, the most common names are Mathinna, Nini, Rachel, Rivka, and Vera.

Status
Not open for further replies.