Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
oops I dropped a WIP
worp.png

Canada isn't done yet BTW

I like it, but egads what is going on?
Basically a big messy cold war-thingy between the Sino-French-led Technocrats, Prussian-led Communists, and Russo-Austrian-led Imperialists.

There's a civil war going on in Britain, a ceasefire-civil war in Spain, and Canada has become a mess of various independent landowners vying for control. China is strong ITTL, and some reconstruction in far-right American-occupied South. :p

His previous maps showed a war being fought in the Netherlands a decade or two behind,
Four
with the Germans swallowing up an earlier satellite state made up of the Netherlands and Flanders. Belgium also has lost most of its Francophones and, while there are Frisia's in the former Netherlands, they have mostly vanished from the few areas in Germany they previously were at.
There are a lot of frisians still left in Germany but they just don't make up a majority in the areas shown.
Also the issue of the Danes disappearing in Swelsig. I am leaning toward generations of Germanization for the Danes, Kashubians, and other minor groups.
Overpopulation, a tiny bit of germanization and convenience of usage of the language is all you need

The Dutch would not automatically consider themselves German, especially as they would all need to learn another language, but the world they are in is a magical, somewhat German wankish one.
since german had increasingly become one of the World languages, Germany being a soft overlord over the Dutch since 1863 and the close relations to the Dutch language, I would see it happen that they would slowly get germanized.

TLDR version, the Germans and whoever they were fighting have spent a good number of years blasting the place to pieces, and presumably a good many of the Dutch and Flemings would still see themselves as Dutch and Flemings.
The Netherlands actually were one of the least fought over areas. The ones where it became a hellhole were in Wallonia and North France because the french tried everything to resist in the last period of the war
The Dutch were in a slow but steady germanization until the war, and when the war started, they allied themselves with Germany, had to be reinstalled by Germany a few times during the timespan and eventually were attached to the Danube Monarchy in the peace treaty. Regarding that the ethnic map is set some 40 years later it's actually quite reasonable.

. Now we have the Habsburgs invading again.
*they aren't the habsburgs

Well, the last time IIRC, Britain was a magical equivalent of North Korea.
I've transferred that concept to other nations, btw

I love the maps of Nightrise and the setting seems interesting enough tho I don't really get the whole magic aspect of it. One thing I do feel, however, is when that super Germany inevitably collapses, between the rampant colonization and odd magic stuff I feel like a lot of those German pockets are gonna... disappear in an unpleasant fashion.
The relations between Germans and the other ethnicities are actually very well. The Danube Monarchy is very tingly when it comes to ethnic equality and support (except in the west, but that's something the "old danubians" don't really care about, since they see that area more of some sort of trophy rather than the areas Danubia gained by uniting the people)
So if there's really going to be some random reason for them to break up in the future I don't think it will end in pockets disappearing. However, the local Germans might enrage the larger population or vice versa as most states could handle ethnic issues differently.

Now how about I finish the timeline itself first before we get into such discussions XD

T8HdHdN.png

This is a 1940 British Empire, minus the dominions, ISOTed to a virgin earth. The year is 2140, and India is the unquestioned superpower of the world. Britain faded from relevance ages ago, and while vestiges of its colonial empire remain (in particular, that stupid pink square I kept forgetting to erase that still exists in the South Atlantic), the world is more likely to tread carefully around India or Bengal or Ghana or Kenya or Jordan-Palestine.

Britain keeps to herself, dominating Europe and maintaining a surprising cooperation with local elites in the Arabian Gulf. The encroaching Lyaran (Lyara is the name given to the Balochi-Sindh pro-independence alliance that grew into a coherent nation state, after the city in which it was founded) colony is worrying to London, but relations are cordial enough that only thriller writers really worry about it. Europe is quiet, Malta and Cyprus are well-behaved and barely noticeable neighbors.

India, on the other hand, is perpetually annoyed. While its population is approaching two billion these days, the population of the nations sprung from it are easily around three hundred million, more than enough to throw their weight around in China. Connecting their discontiguous colonies in Asia was a war that cost tens of thousands of lives, and nearly lost them their relationship with China (Hongkong and Canton weathered the transition to agricultural states surprisingly well, initially with British support, but as the empire faded, that proved untenable). While they are the perpetual superpower, and the likely inheritors of the Americas, they are quickly seeing the problem with being the king of the hill.

Ghana, Kenya, and Tanzania are testy rivals, constantly bickering over various bits of territory. The interior of the Congo has long since been mapped by satellites, but Ghana and Tanzania are perpetually sparring over who, in one hundred years or so, will be the ones to hold the resource-rich jungle. Kenya and Ghana have their debate over South Africa, even though the Cape's relevance has largely faded by now. All three are concerned with saber rattling from their Moslem neighbors to the north, both Sokoto and Sudan being basketcases on a good day. The Arab Union normally keeps Sudan in line, but Jerusalem is increasingly tired of picking up after their bothersome southern client.

Finally, Jamaica and West India (the West Indies Federation shortened their name ages ago, didn't quite think of their possible confusion with India) have their own debates over who gets scraps of land in the Caribbean. Newfoundland is content to fish on their own, steadily pushing into the former Maritime provinces and down the St. Lawrence.

EDIT: Oh. Tech is ~20-30 years ahead of us on average, but applied differently.

The one thing I find a bit disbelievable is that the fact the UK ends up as secondary power of little relevance, given the fact it has the resources of Europe to plunder. It would definately be on the same level as Ghana or Palestine-Jordan. Otherwise, nice map.

So while I can definitely believe that variability in the sun could make the livability of most earths uncomfortable/impossible for Humans - of nearly all the ones shown (minus the post-atomic mutant world), I assume that the "true" human shtick is just some Earth Dominant racist pseudo-science to justify colonialism and massive resource theft?

So a full on dystopia scenario...well that's depressing.

But still, good job. Very creative work.

There may be some clues to Earth Dominant's views in the data provided.
Note that our own world in 2012 shows US as H0.99 so it would seem that Dominant considers themselves more "Human" or more Evolved than us.
The different solar radiation could concievably have caused different evolution rates.
Alternatively, we ourselves would not consider our remote ancestors to be wholly "Human" or we would nor have named them as different species;

Homo Rudolphensis
Homo Habilis
Homo Ergaster
Homo Erectus
Homo Heidelbergensis
Homo Neanderthalensis
Homo Sapiens

We know that these species can interbreed with their closest relatives and it has been proven that Neanderthals did not die out, they are part of us.
Suppose the interbreeding under different Sols brought about different ratios;
Homo Ergaster is more Rudolphensis than Habilis on one planet
Homo Heidelbergensis is more Erectus than Ergaster on another
Homo Neanderthalensis has had a greater genetic effect on a third

Dressed like us we probably would not notice the difference but to a branch of Humans where "purity" matters [it's happened here don't forget] or want breeding stock for whatever [usually vile] reason this could be an "important" branch of their "science".

There may be some clues to Earth Dominant's views in the data provided.
Note that our own world in 2012 shows US as H0.99 so it would seem that Dominant considers themselves more "Human" or more Evolved than us.
The different solar radiation could concievably have caused different evolution rates.
Alternatively, we ourselves would not consider our remote ancestors to be wholly "Human" or we would nor have named them as different species;

Homo Rudolphensis
Homo Habilis
Homo Ergaster
Homo Erectus
Homo Heidelbergensis
Homo Neanderthalensis
Homo Sapiens

We know that these species can interbreed with their closest relatives and it has been proven that Neanderthals did not die out, they are part of us.
Suppose the interbreeding under different Sols brought about different ratios;
Homo Ergaster is more Rudolphensis than Habilis on one planet
Homo Heidelbergensis is more Erectus than Ergaster on another
Homo Neanderthalensis has had a greater genetic effect on a third

Dressed like us we probably would not notice the difference but to a branch of Humans where "purity" matters [it's happened here don't forget] or want breeding stock for whatever [usually vile] reason this could be an "important" branch of their "science".
What does "H0.99" mean?

Bit of a Thai thing;

Loverly! Bit surprised they managed to absorb the Viets, given how much trouble they gave the Chinese OTL: and the Sulu Republic is missing, well, Sulu [1]. :p

Is "Porto" some sort of alt-Portugal?

[1] The island group, not the Star Trek character.

Status
Not open for further replies.