Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did the Low countries become completely German?
#Imperialism
#Finlandization
#Germanization
That is not how it works. For these sorts of maps they are supposed to show the reality of the situation. The Dutch, Flemings, Walloons, and others aren't going to just vanish, short of literally deporting every last person there. There are not nearly enough Germans in this world for that resettlement, the colonization of France, plus that Germanization of Rome and a bit of central Italy. Still, you do seem to be showing some Jews in Banat, so there is some clever diversity around. Odd no Montenegrins or Bosniaks are shown though, as well as how the Croats got rid of their Serbs. What is thpurpling group in Serbia anyways?
Maybe they are considered "honorary German"?
Naw that can't be...
Doesn't work if it is a map about the reality of ethnicities rather than a propaganda map or one toeing the party line.
My theory is that there are a lot of German Immigrants and they slowly take over businesses and the economy and they slowly just die out... Same things happening to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Or maybe they are considered "eh, close enough" by whoever drew the map? :winkytongue:
If you start teaching Dutch people german from 1863 on together with all the other german speaking people with extreme dialects it will end up as another german Dialect after time

What makes a Bavarian or Austrian "German"? Perception of whether that particular group is German. If the Dutch of that world consider themselves as part of Germany, then there is no one to block them from being considered German.

If you start teaching Dutch people german from 1863 on together with all the other german speaking people with extreme dialects it will end up as another german Dialect after time
That is pretty (propably too) late. The Netherlands had a high literacy by that point in history, a own well-established Bibel translation, a strong national identity and so on.

What makes a Bavarian or Austrian "German"? Perception of whether that particular group is German. If the Dutch of that world consider themselves as part of Germany, then there is no one to block them from being considered German.
His previous maps showed a war being fought in the Netherlands a decade or two behind, with the Germans swallowing up an earlier satellite state made up of the Netherlands and Flanders. Belgium also has lost most of its Francophones and, while there are Frisia's in the former Netherlands, they have mostly vanished from the few areas in Germany they previously were at. Also the issue of the Danes disappearing in Swelsig. I am leaning toward generations of Germanization for the Danes, Kashubians, and other minor groups. The Dutch would not automatically consider themselves German, especially as they would all need to learn another language, but the world they are in is a magical, somewhat German wankish one.

TLDR version, the Germans and whoever they were fighting have spent a good number of years blasting the place to pieces, and presumably a good many of the Dutch and Flemings would still see themselves as Dutch and Flemings.

At that point in time the Dutch would have had perhaps four or five hundred years of seeing themselves separate from everyone else, with glory and prosperity brought about by their culture, education, and government. Now we have the Habsburgs invading again. Not going to go over well. Especially since they will be losing their republican institutions in this monarchist magical world. Heck, we can look at Ireland and see what happens even when you speak the same languages but have different histories.

I love the maps of Nightrise and the setting seems interesting enough tho I don't really get the whole magic aspect of it. One thing I do feel, however, is when that super Germany inevitably collapses, between the rampant colonization and odd magic stuff I feel like a lot of those German pockets are gonna... disappear in an unpleasant fashion.

I love the maps of Nightrise and the setting seems interesting enough tho I don't really get the whole magic aspect of it. One thing I do feel, however, is when that super Germany inevitably collapses, between the rampant colonization and odd magic stuff I feel like a lot of those German pockets are gonna... disappear in an unpleasant fashion.

I think one of those maps was of 2017... Or maybe I had seen a previous, unpublished version.

Another commission in progress: the large version of Danbensen's kite world.

KiteSample.png

Jcw3

Banned
1JrWAr7.png

I, too, think two previews of the same map is a bit much, but I was very proud of how the African Union turned out, and I wanted to show it off. Bear in mind, Arabia is unfinished.

The year is 2240, three hundred years since the British Empire was unceremoniously dropped off on a virgin earth. Humanity adapted, as they are wont to do, and while it took surprisingly long for nuclear weapons to be used against another nation in anger, it happened in Africa. In the 2190s, Sokoto and Sudan, formerly vassals/allies of the Arab Union, an evolution of an alliance between Jordan and Palestine, broke away from their patron. They no longer had sufficient options available to them for expansion, and as is tragically common for nations at this stage on a virgin earth, they were used to overuse of resources.

Their only option was war. Kenya and Ghana were both theoretically allies with the breakaway warlord states in Central Africa, but it took Sokotese and Sudanese attacks on 'advisors' and civilian journalists to convince Nairobi and Accra to join the war against reasonably powerful, nuclear armed states. The war between the four lasted from 2194 to 2201, and Tanzania joined in 2199. With insultingly limited Arab support, the two nations and their minor allies were defeated, but at great cost. Eleven million allied citizens died as a result of Sokotese nuclear terrorists, or engineered pathogens (unrestricted 3-D printers were not fun for anyone, there's a reason world powers have a surveillance state).

With the war over, and the conflict limited to drones hunting desperate guerrillas in caves, Ghana, Tanzania and Kenya turned their focus towards rebuilding. The African Central Command, originally a neutral meeting ground in Gara, a Yoruan colony near what we could call Libreville, blossomed into a glistening arcology that united the nation, populated by peoples from all nations (people are mostly encouraged to ignore the several race riots that happened at the time, and focus on the blossoming unity). The economic might of Ghana, Tanzania, and Kenya turned towards subsuming their neighbors into this new agreement.

It has now been more than thirty years since the establishment of the African Union. It's occasionally a little awkward. Ghana and Kenya are committed, but Tanzania's history is chock full of settler's wars against their new fellow citizens, and Tanzanian populists love to bring it up. There are constant accusations that Gara is biasing the results towards one nation or another, and sometimes those accusations are even true. The settlements in Brazil and Australia are accused of being dominated by megacorps, rather than the elected government, which is transparently obvious to anyone with eyes.

But despite its faults, the African Union is a peaceful state, with open borders between its constituent state, and generally, not very much violence. The newest generations growing up in Lagos or the Cape Colonies consider themselves humans first and African second, and the notion of nationalism, increasingly widely sneered at as 'regionalism', is growing more and more popular, especially as cooperation increases with their Indian patron. Glistening hyperloops stretch from Freetown to the Cape to Berbera, connecting the country. Space elevators rocket upwards constantly. Fabricators (3-d printers have sort of a bad reputation, so their successors have been renamed) and GMOs have kneecapped scarcity.

India still dominates the world and the worlds beyond, eight billion humans on Earth, six hundred thousand Indians currently living full-time in space, and that will likely be a fact of life for centuries to come. But the African Union, with just over a billion people living under its banner, is its right hand man, and Mumby* takes great pains not to forget that.

*English, and correspondingly, the romanization of Indian names and places, has taken a different turn in this universe.

African Union
Great map and writeup, my only suggestion is maybe use a color besides purple for the African Union, considering that India is one of the dominant countries in the world and their main color is purple. To be honest, before I read the writeup I thought the map was showing Indian colonies in Africa. Besides that, your stuff (as always) is super great work.

Jcw3

Banned
Great map and writeup, my only suggestion is maybe use a color besides purple for the African Union, considering that India is one of the dominant countries in the world and their main color is purple. To be honest, before I read the writeup I thought the map was showing Indian colonies in Africa. Besides that, your stuff (as always) is super great work.

Intentional. It shows the closeness of the Indo-African alliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.