Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jup! Having an avoidable language enclave is stupid
Yeah that makes sense I guess. But seeing that the Dutch ceded most of it's Walloon territory to France ITTL and the francophone population lost a lot of political representation, I imagine that the demographics of the region shifted more towards germanic-speakers in the 80 years since the partition. Seeing that the area just to the north of Liege is also pretty rich in coal and Industry that might encourage Dutch workers to move to the region. So it probably wont even be an enclave anymore.

Finally Complete.
ryouready.png

Finally Complete.

It lives! I love this series, can't wait for Planet S.

Russia has 500,000 people of Jewish descent, so I guess an Israel makes some sense. I am a little surprised that more of the world hasn't been colonized- how many years after the Departure is this? Also, Crimea came along right?

New guy here: name's WhiteDragon25, long-time lurker from Sufficient Velocity; finally decided to join up so I can share some of my own (meager) creations, such as this map I 'made' using a Hearts of Iron 4 pixel-map as a base:

joSL7ke.png

I just recolored each of the individual provinces to make or reshape whatever new country I wanted; this is the 5th iteration, this and the previous three before it being mostly minor adjustments to the first version I made.

Something I've been wanting and trying to do is come up with some alternate-history timeline to justify all the changes I made to the world map, which I might try to do in its own thread at some point... and probably ask someone to create a higher-quality non-amateur version of it... but for now, enjoy (or mock) it and feel free to ask me for any details about it.

New guy here: name's WhiteDragon25, long-time lurker from Sufficient Velocity; finally decided to join up so I can share some of my own (meager) creations, such as this map I 'made' using a Hearts of Iron 4 pixel-map as a base:

I just recolored each of the individual provinces to make or reshape whatever new country I wanted; this is the 5th iteration, this and the previous three before it being mostly minor adjustments to the first version I made.

Something I've been wanting and trying to do is come up with some alternate-history timeline to justify all the changes I made to the world map, which I might try to do in its own thread at some point... and probably ask someone to create a higher-quality non-amateur version of it... but for now, enjoy (or mock) it and feel free to ask me for any details about it.

Welcome aboard! Not bad for a first map.

What's going on with Gibraltar, Constantinople, the Panama Canal, the Suez Canal, and the West Bank? International territories? How did Brazil get the Guyanas, seeing that they're European possessions? And how did they get the Guyanas but lose the Riograndense? And lose it to Uruguay apparently? What's the orange blob that has Hungary, part of Austria, and part of Galicia? Is that Pakistani Afghanistan or Afghani Pakistan?

Always nice to see a big Kurdistan, Bolivia-can-into-sea, and a united Ireland.

Welcome aboard, and neat map WhiteDragon.

Anywho, is that a surviving (and expanded) Gran Columbia in South America, or did the region unify at a later date?

Welcome aboard! Not bad for a first map.

What's going on with Gibraltar, Constantinople, the Panama Canal, the Suez Canal, and the West Bank? International territories? How did Brazil get the Guyanas, seeing that they're European possessions? And how did they get the Guyanas but lose the Riograndense? And lose it to Uruguay apparently? What's the orange blob that has Hungary, part of Austria, and part of Galicia? Is that Pakistani Afghanistan or Afghani Pakistan?

Always nice to see a big Kurdistan, Bolivia-can-into-sea, and a united Ireland.

Yes, the Gibraltar and Bosporus Straits, the Suez and Panama Canals, and the West Bank/Jerusalem are all International Zones under administration by the UN.

Brazil got the Guyanas by buying them from the Europeans during decolonization after WW2, but they lost the Riograndense to the Argentinians in a Great South American War that occurred alongside WW2; Uruguay was also annexed by Argentina, and Paraguay got partitioned between both them, Bolivia, and Brazil after the Paraguayans decided to go for Paraguayan War 2: Electric Boogaloo. Argentina then declared itself the Union of La Plata in a display of nationalistic chest-beating, but decades later fell victim to a rebellion that led to the birth of the Piratini Republic.

The orange blob is the Danubian Federation, an attempted revival of Austria-Hungary that ended up weird due to WW2 shenanigans.

As for Pakistani-Afghanistan verses Afghani-Pakistan? Man, I don't even fucking know anymore.XD I honestly can't decide what to call it.

And the Kurdistan you see is actually the Rojava Confederation!

Welcome aboard, and neat map WhiteDragon.

Anywho, is that a surviving (and expanded) Gran Columbia in South America, or did the region unify at a later date?

Yes, that's Gran Colombia, but it's from a Communist reunification during WW2/Great South American War (same deal with Centroamerica).

Obviously, the plausibility of these scenarios is highly subject to revision and criticism.:coldsweat:

YxA01xY.png

And right on the heels of yesterday's biome post, my Atlantis now has a political map of the ten kingdoms--or at least as they are just prior to The Fall. I'll get to them more in-depth when I actually get into my lorebuilding project, but for now a very brief rundown:

All of Atlantis takes on a Mediterranean bronze age vibe, borrowing from Mycenaean, Minoan, Hittite, and Babylonian sources (albit with a classical/late Antiquity level of technology and a fair helping of functional magic). However, each kingdom has its own distinct flavor. (Note: While I borrow heavily from multiple cultural sources all around the world, this is not to say that Atlantis is the source of all civilizations in this timeline. It's not; Atlantis falls around 10,000 BCE, which is several thousand years before Sumer and Egypt. While some threads of continuity may be present in the earlier Near Eastern and Mesoamerican civs, Atlantis is not responsible for, say, Japan, even though I use Shinto elements.)

RED: Atlantis proper. Atlantis Classic, if you will. It's the reigning kingdom, the one who tells the others what to do, even though technically there's a council of ten (it's very Athenean in its outlook). The classic ringed city sits at the mouth of the central river at the head of the great plain. Easily the most technologically and magically advanced, in regards to culture and society it borrows elements from Rome, Byzantium, and medieval China, while the state religion feels like what would happen if you took classical mythology and smashed it into both Hinduism and Shinto, allowing for a very fluid and quasi-animistic faith. This is the third time Atlantis has 'brought order and civilization' to its brethren with its highly trained legions and battlemages, and unknown to them, it will be the last.

PURPLE: Lentii. It used to be Atlantis's sister kingdom (as per Plato, the ten kingdoms are paired in two) until the end of the Great War a few hundred years ago ended in the destruction of Lemuria/Kumari Kandam/Sundaland/whatever you want to call it and ushered in a bit of a warring states/dark age period in Atlantis. Since then refugees have been trickling first into overseas Atlantean colonies and then to Lentii herself--sort of playing the role of medieval Anatolia. Since then the native Atlantean culture has taken a backseat to the incoming Lumerian survivor culture--a blend of Tibet, various Indian and SE Asian cultures, and classical Persia. Their religion tends to be somewhat Buddhist/Taoist.

YELLOW: Ayswan. A temperate/cold and rocky scrubland desert houses the great Egypt analogue (with bits of Assyrian), now in a long state of decline. It was once Atlantis' rival for power on the island, now it is one of the weaker kingdoms. Canyons dominate the south, pine scrubland dominate the north, and in the center the great river flows, giving life.

BLUE: Ikartok. Several hundred years ago, between the first and second Atlantean empires, the raiders from Hyperborea began raiding the northern coasts. Raiding eventually turned to settlement which turned to conquest and before you know it oops you've got Inuit-Vikings with Celtic undertones rampaging across the ice and pine forests with armored war mammoths. They bring their own Inuit/Celtic animistic religion, though Atlantis has been doing its best to syncronize the two.

ORANGE: Ishantu. This is the steppe and horses reign (there is a reason the Greeks will one day see Poseidon as the lord of horses). A mix of Plains Indians and Mongols, the Ishanti tribes have been thorns in the side of the more urbanized nations for millennia, and they've been kept from completely overrunning the place only by the existence of the central mountain range. They've since been (mostly) laid low by the empire and forced into a singular 'kingdom' that they are ill-fits for. Atlantis has been continuing to try and civilize them by building cities and colonizing--the results have been mixed.

GREY: Hwai. High up in the central mountain range and in the central ashlands sit numerous citadels, both on top of the mountains and inside. Traditionally each one was an independent citystate, but the empire doesn't give a crap about that and has unified them under a single banner. They have elements of Hebrew, Phoenician--and as of late, more and more Lumerian, including their religion, giving rise to numerous isolated monasteries.

GREEN: Aztlan. One of the earlier waves of people to the island continent (a bit before written language) were those coming from Central America. As their civilization built up, they eventually became the kingdom that spearheaded Atlantean conquest of their ancestral home. Traditional Atlantean Mycenaean/Minoan clashes with every Mesoamerican civ (and the Hopi for good measure) under the sun (heh). Unique to the southern temperate rainforests here are a relic species of terror birds, having evolved into something a bit more...well, dinosaur-ish, with bright plumage. And yes, they get ridden into battle.

BROWN/BRONZE/WHATEVER THAT COLOR IS: Ithika. Aztlan's poorer, more rural cousin. Most the region is swamp, and most of the settlements here are smaller than in the north. The Mesoamerican theme gets complimented with a bit of Polynesian and Louisiana Bayou.

CYAN: Atheos. The quintessential 'Greek' kingdom, full of seaside city-states, rolling hills, and brilliant white beaches.

MAROON: Nawar. The southern islands become more arid the further south and the closer to Africa one gets (remember, the Sahara hasn't completely greened up just yet). The isolated city-states here take on a more Moroccan/Berber appearance, but without forgoing the traditional Atlantean feel.

Atlantis' empire once stretched across Central America and the Mediterranean, until the Great War with its rival Lemuria fatally weakened the Second Empire. Now on the rise again, Atlantis seeks to reassert power over its wayward empire, by any means necessary. But her colonies are not the only threats: Atlantis shares its world with a handful of other advanced powers: the Neo-Mu colonies in South America (the seven golden cities), the remnants of Lemuria's empire in the Middle East and Africa (including the rising power of Rutas along the East African coast), the ever-present threat of the Hyperborean kingdoms in North America and Doggerland, the Empire of China (currently run by the would-be immortals who will one day be known as The Three Sovereigns), and the mysterious empire of Thule, said to lie somewhere beyond the icesheets in Asia.

Last edited:
Yes, the Gibraltar and Bosporus Straits, the Suez and Panama Canals, and the West Bank/Jerusalem are all International Zones under administration by the UN.

Brazil got the Guyanas by buying them from the Europeans during decolonization after WW2, but they lost the Riograndense to the Argentinians in a Great South American War that occurred alongside WW2; Uruguay was also annexed by Argentina, and Paraguay got partitioned between both them, Bolivia, and Brazil after the Paraguayans decided to go for Paraguayan War 2: Electric Boogaloo. Argentina then declared itself the Union of La Plata in a display of nationalistic chest-beating, but decades later fell victim to a rebellion that led to the birth of the Piratini Republic.

The orange blob is the Danubian Federation, an attempted revival of Austria-Hungary that ended up weird due to WW2 shenanigans.

As for Pakistani-Afghanistan verses Afghani-Pakistan? Man, I don't even fucking know anymore.XD I honestly can't decide what to call it.

And the Kurdistan you see is actually the Rojava Confederation!

Reminds me of Kaiserreich a bit. Rojava/Kurdistan, tomato, tomatoe.

Reminds me of Kaiserreich a bit. Rojava/Kurdistan, tomato, tomatoe.

Yes, I took some inspiration from Kaiserreich among some other things.:closedtongue:

Actually, among those other things happens to be a TL that AH.com has here - the Fountainhead Filibuster: Tales from Objectivist Katanga! It's the one where Ayn Rand becomes a fascist dictator in Congolese Katanga region and has her Objectivist 'utopia' being bombed by the United Nations!XD

You can see that the Katanga panhandle is part of the green country in south-central Africa - which, you can probably tell, is an expanded Rhodesia... well, the story behind that is rather convoluted:

The big orange country to the north of it is the United Republic of the Congo, but during TTL's WW2, the Belgian Congo as it was during that time fell under German occupation after they rolled over Belgium, and they rolled it into a larger "Reichskommissariat Mittelafrika" for easier administration; Hitler would shoot down an idea to bother using it as another front in the war, but some in the German high command clung to the idea and formed a "Second Afrika Korps" conspiracy to smuggle in supplies and equipment into their new colonial holding. Of course, that was a wasted effort as the war ended like in OTL, so all the Nazi troops that were sent there fled and melted into the European colonial population...

Fast forward a couple decades, and our favorite ancap psychopath Ayn Rand got the bright idea to build her ideal Objectivist utopia in the Katana region. Of course, Objectivism is a terrible "philosophy" to base a country around, and ended up getting subverted and hijacked by the exiled Nazis that were in hiding there; the neighboring Dominion of Rhodesia, itching for independence, and also harboring fascist sympathies, saw an opportunity and absorbed the failed state of Objectivist Katanga, along with a number of Afrikaner apartheid-nationalists immigrating from South Africa.

Basically, Rhodesia is a fascist state with all the awfulness of the Nazis, Randian Objectivists, and South African white nationalists!:coldsweat:

Because I wanted a definitive Bad Guy to use as a punching bag.:neutral:

Good heavens, just look at the time! It's time for

D I R E C T
R U L E
F R O M
S I N G A P O R E

Malaysia and Indonesia will suffice, thank you very much.

The S-world is going to be pretty crammed though. It has the largest number of countries by quite a bit, though most are pretty small.

In its formative years, New France, especially in Quebec and Acadia, is the site of higher amounts of migration due to the Thirty Years' War and other European conflicts that followed. Most of the émigrés were French Catholics, who were joined by smaller numbers of Huguenots, Basques, and Dutch. A larger population means that France was successfully able to hold on to these territories and ended up as the premier power in northern America, but not to the extent that it could absorb Britain's Atlantic seaboard colonies. The United States had a similar revolution as it did in our timeline, though a steady flow of support from New France made the fight quicker. After the U.S. became independent, some Yankees (as the New French have always called them) settled in land along the Appalachian Mountains, and their descendants still live in Duquesne, Alleghénie, and Nouvelle-Normandie. Unlike the Yankees, New France's independence was bloodless. When France's monarchy was overthrown, the National Assembly granted New France independence. The governors of New France's sub-colonies decided to set up a unified federal government, somewhat inspired by the United States. During the mess of revolution and the Reign of Terror, even more French left their motherland for New France. The 19th century saw New France grow exponentially, expanding all the way to the Pacific coast and taking Mexico's northernmost lands in a war. Millions immigrated to New France in search of a better life- especially from France, Ireland (the Irish mostly preferred the Catholic New France over the Protestant United States), the Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, and the Basque Country. New France was a largely neutral country in world affairs for the 19th and early 20th century, but was eventually forced to confront its neutrality and transitioned towards a more international foreign policy. While it by no means became the sole power of the world, it is among the best in the world on many tallies of development and quality of life. Today, New France is a place of great cultural diversity. Different regions have unique cultural traditions, influenced mainly by French culture but also from other groups that immigrated to the area and native tribes. New France has a significant number of Métis, who live throughout the country but especially in parts of the Grandes Plaines and the western provinces. A similar effect can be seen with the many dialects of French spoken across the country. New France has 42 provinces, as well as the Territoires du Nord, which covers all of New France's holdings north of the 59th parallel (sans the Ungava Peninsula of Quebec). New France shares a land border with the United States of America, Mexico, and Alyeska, and a maritime border with the Danish territory of Greenland.
its beautiful

The S-world is going to be pretty crammed though. It has the largest number of countries by quite a bit, though most are pretty small.
pretty small.
Seems to me that we have plenty of room to grow, then.

Looking at the list, our closest competitors would be Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, South Africa and the Sudans. We could swallow up Southeast Asia and chunks of China and India.

Trust me, I'm an EU4 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.