Map Thread XVII

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Upvoteanthology, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Ernak My fingers hurt from using a mousepad

Africa-Atlantropa.png Atlantropa Africa.png

Which Sea map is more realistic for a terraforming project??

2. B_Munro Member

[​IMG]

TRADITION!

3. Aqua817 The Means of Production

Iustinus Tempus and Fox-Fire like this.
  4. Flashman A Real Go-Getter

Eh, it would happen so slowly that people would have ample time to evacuate. The real hazards would be the massive malarial swamp it would end up being, and the inland hurricanes it would generate.

merkmuds likes this.
  5. GustavusAdolphus1 Well-Known Member

6. rvbomally Russian Hacker

Crossposting from Oneshot Scenarios.

MOTS23.png

7. B_Munro Member

An impressive thought experiment, although I suspect the ol' nation-state still has a lot of life in it. What happened with Inner Mongolia? All the Han Chinese leave for, er, greener pastures millet fields? :biggrin:

Cerea and Marcus Sergius like this.
  8. Crying My name sucks

Well that's... depressing, I suppose?

9. Beedok I exist.

Mhm, it's been around about as long as civilisation after all. (Ancient Egypt seemed to have the concept pretty down for thousands of years, the same with ancient Rome or China?)

10. xmoose Well-Known Member

China probably, but Rome, well...

Anyway, islamized British-Empire-in-exile/EIC, inspired by Peshawar lancers, discussions of parallel between Rome and Britain here and finally by idea of evil EIC as substitution for warhammer dark eldars (guess for what serve those territories in central Africa...)
    Im still not sure how far they should go, especially in central Asia... Herat? Fergana? Samarkand? Kashgar? The same for Burma...

Exiled Brit - demo.png

11. Skallagrim Not the one from YouTube. Different other fellow.

This is absolutely stunning. You've taken a lot of the premises I actually consider to be accurate (e.g. history isn't an unending upward march; our modern world may just be a brief exception rather than 'the final station'; long-established attitudes will have much more staying power than new-fangled trends) -- but you've put a completely different soin on it than I would have. Truly exceptional!

@Crying may think it's depressing, but I think we should be rather lucky to arrive upon a future that overcomes a lot of the oncoming troubles so capably. We could do far, far worse than this.

(The talk of rather conservative sentiments ruling across the board may be misleading here: after all, the write-up indicates that pretty much everyone is on board with reproductive rights, marriage freedom, drug legalisation, green politics, transgender rights etc. etc. ...so how bad are these conservatives, really? It seems to me that this whole scenario describes a world that has finallt dismissed the notion of "progress for the sake of progress", and has instead settled into a mindset stressing localism and continuity. That strikes me as the healthiest possible response to the crises and problems described in the write-up.)

12. koa_dan A faithful non-German servant of Emperor Wilhelm I

Since there are several Kaiserreich maps posted before mine, I don't feel so hesitant to post this cliche again. I made it before using non-standard base map, this time it's WordA.

P/S: A mix of TL-191 and HOI Kaiserreich with some Talleyrand flavors. Also inspired by EdT's Fight and be Right.

Talleyrand's Kaiserreich 1917.png

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  13. Mecha_Poodle I AM A POODLE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I guess it is based on Frostpunk?.

btw, here's a doodle of the most holiest Chirstian-Fascist nation of Brazil, made last night. As you can see, i dunno how to draw a colony. Darker shade are colonies and territories that are administered like that. Paraguay is great god-fearing "ally" and Venezuela has being finally brought before the light of god (it doesn't matter if they want it or not).
    [​IMG]
    i guess the POD could be Brazil getting independence sooner, Gran Colombia keeping itself together and Paraguay focusing against Argentina, everything to shit in 1890's.

14. rvbomally Russian Hacker

I suspect Inner Mongolia suffered from a demographic crisis sometime in the 21st century so a lot of Han Chinese moved out.

Thanks! Personally, I disagree with the idea that history moves ever forward with “progress,” but I don’t think stagnation on this level is plausible. Rather, trends will halt, reverse, and new ones will take their place.

I’d love to see your take on a future that obeys “your rules” on historiography.

I actually think it’s rather depressing, if only because nuclear wars and Mad Maxery is at the very least more interesting and cinematic. :p

They’re “conservative” in the most literal sense: they want to conserve what they have, whether that be material resources or existing cultural practices. Part of the exercise is a (counter?)revolution of political norms: 22nd century politics does not line up neatly with 21st century politics because the concerns and their entire philosophical viewpoint is different.

merkmuds likes this.
  15. TwiliAlchemist Liberty Trail

While I am aware of Frostpunk, it had no part in the creation of this map. It was actually based on a video I saw a long time ago about what would happen if the Earth was pulled away from the Sun. Hence why humans live in pockets near geothermal hotspots or fault lines. It's completely ASB, but it was extremely fun to make.

16. Petros >Peter Fergus< Well-Known Member

This is really well done!

Transparent Blue and rvbomally like this.
  17. Vuu Kicked

No river through Sahara is possible - unless you dig some big ass canals, the water from lake Chad would eventually fill up the basin and it would flow back out into the Niger

CtrlAltHistory likes this.
  18. Ernak My fingers hurt from using a mousepad

Well this is for an alien state, so they could, but which one is more realistic?

CtrlAltHistory likes this.
  19. Analytical Engine Monarchist Collectivist Federalist

@rvbomally - your map is awesome, the write up is awesome, and you are awesome.

Now, can you please stop using that tiny font? It's hard to read at times.

20. Reagent Cartography's Reactionary

Cross-post from MotF 178:
    [​IMG]

Due to imagehost / server issues, full sized map can be found here: https://reagentah.deviantart.com/art/The-Fourth-Shore-749278333