Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
That god damn Rio Grande border...

I disagree, honestly. I always felt like leaving countries uncoloured was lazy and boring, especially if there were lots of them on the map. Plus, y'know, strictly adhering to "only some countries get colours" thing can create some serious problems if the TL the map is depicting is seriously divergent from ours - I remember somebody (don't remember who, might have been quantumbranching) covering a map of a timeline where you had majorly different ethnic makeup of the world and they ended up with only about 3 or 4 countries getting coloured, leaving most of the countries on the map blank.

Just avoid extremes either way. If there are a lot of differences, it can be good to have a number of them picked out with extra colors (or just go heavy on the notes), but if you've got 50 or more countries on your map, each with its own color, it just gets too busy (especially if you have a map with lots of internal divisions as well), and too many of the colors will be hard to distinguish for all but the most mantis-shrimp-like of us.

(I'd incline a bit more in the "less color" direction myself: I've seen a lot of very nice maps with very simple color schemes, but I've yet to see a "lots of countries/every country a distinct color" map which I didn't find aesthetically doubtful).

Edit: as "maps with too many colors" go, KJ's map is far from the worst offender I've seen.

Deleted member 108228

That's quite possible, if not a likely consequence.

Of course, a regime like Draka is probably too prideful and arrogant of their self-believed "superiority" that they probably have committed a number of unnecessary errors like this, making their country much harder to govern.

Expect Islamist rebellions every couple of years, and bombings every day. Even the Draka couldn't handle that.

Hi! This is yet another map from the Thousand week-reich Timeline, you can go to the thread or the subreddit of the HOI4 mod.
This one shows the various ranges of Missiles and aircrafts of germany and the atlantic union during the cold war between 1945 and 1954.
https://www.reddit.com/r/twrmod/

042dgo8eji211.png

All Nazi-but-not-Japanese victory maps converge on some Platonic ideal. :biggrin:

Part of a WIP Nazi-but-not-Japanese victory world.

The United States's post-war history sees the New Deal coalition collapses on the death of Roosevelt (who lives well into the 50s iTTL). Despite the return of Republicans to power, it is even tougher to roll back New Deal programs, and the vital differences between the Democrats and Republicans becomes foreign policy, with the Democrats being very isolationist, and the Republicans cheering on FDR's more imperial moments, such as the Windward Isles Act of 1946 (occupying several British Caribbean holdings to keep things away from the collaborationist UK government) and the annexation of Newfoundland. On a domestic side, both were economically left-leaning liberals and there is lots of state intervention in the economy. The US would have free healthcare by 1968.

An alternate Atlantic Charter creates the Committee of Free Nations, in a sense a more explicitly US-run United Nations-World Bank-NATO hybrid. The CFN seats its members in a forum addressing transnational issues like security, trade, and etc. US has veto power over decisions made by the committee, and can unilaterally choose to act if two-thirds of the Committee cannot agree in a certain deadline. The US congress is essentially the overseer of the entire project, and that veto power is wielded by the Speaker of the House (in part to keep it away from the grubby little hands of the next FDR). By the time of the map, the member list has shrunk since its peak in 1975, with Japan, Cuba, and Canada being the last major non-US members.

US race relations are...uh... Well, they would begin to tense up in a potential for beauty across the 20th century, with a somewhat earlier civil rights movement based in labor. The victories of the *Civil Rights movement were greater than our worlds, with significant New Deal style investment into minority communities (it was more a philosophy of lifting the whole boat that swayed voters) and desegregation was more thorough on the level of infrastructure. Internationally, the US was thoroughly anti-imperialist and pro-self-determination (like, mostly... as much as a superpower could reasonably be). Reparations were even floating near the edges of mainstream political discussion. However, a major economic crash from Brazil leaving the CFN sent shock waves throughout the Western Hemisphere. US confrontations with Europe over Angola, Madagascar, and Russia for the most part resulted in embarrassment for the US internationally, and the cost of interventions in Africa and Asia to keep the Germans out were looking like too much. A Democrat begins a process of global peace with Germany, conceding much of their ground in Latin America and Asia, working together to ensure freedom of seas, and slowly resegregating public institutions.

Recently, American discourse has started to talk about the Rainbow Country, with America not only being European but also African and Native American. Walter Hardeen is rebuilding the US army, and aggressively intervened in the Yucatan Peninsula, arming Mayans and other indigenous peoples in Chiapas.

The US-backed Republic of the Guyanas collapsed in the late 1990s, with some ethnic conflict between the South Asian population and the Black and Native populations. The US and Brazil would knock heads. Ultimately, with German backing, Brazil and the future Unisur countries would divide the countries as best they could along racial lines, favoring the closer-to-Aryan South Asians over the Afro-Indian populace.

NomiNaziWIP.png

I actually went through versions where the border was at the Nueces River, I just thought it looked better with the Rio Grande in the end.
naw, they're talking about the rivers stretch in new mexico. you see that used as a border quite a lot.
it wouldn't be totally absurd as a division, especially considering the differing motives local govts might have had while drawing the border. probably makes less sense north of el paso though.

Hi! This is yet another map from the Thousand week-reich Timeline, you can go to the thread or the subreddit of the HOI4 mod.
This one shows the various ranges of Missiles and aircrafts of germany and the atlantic union during the cold war between 1945 and 1954.

I for one love this project, I'm really looking forward to the mod. It's nice to see a mod that takes into account the idea that Sealion wasn't a happening thing ever. Are you guys looking for event writers or image artists?

I've been reading all the lore you have posted, it's really good. Its nice to see a more realistic take on a Nazi victory. It's so tiring seeing mods with a giant mega Nazi Afrika, a US split between Japan and what not and most importantly they all seem to ignore the extreme genocide which would be ever present.

Awesome! I would have thought that Norway would have more missile launch sites. And um why hasn't the Channel islands been occupied by the Germans like OTL?

Maybe like the Anglo-American Nazi war, they recaptured them while the USSR was falling apart in a vain attempt to distract the Reich?

Last edited:
I've been reading all the lore you have posted, it's really good. Its nice to see a more realistic take on a Nazi victory. It's so tiring seeing mods with a giant mega Nazi Afrika, a US split between Japan and what not and most importantly they all seem to ignore the extreme genocide which would be ever present.
To be fair

1) Paradox themselves don't acknowledge the genocide, nor do they let modders acknowledge it as far as I know.
2) Can you really blame people for finding it hard to actually conceptualise how horrific a Nazi victory would be, let alone stomach it?
3) Most of the people doing the Nazi-wanks are doing it for the "fun" factor or rule of cool, not because they think its realistic. I do agree that its nice to see a more realistic take on an Axis victory scenario, though.

To be fair

1) Paradox themselves don't acknowledge the genocide, nor do they let modders acknowledge it as far as I know.
2) Can you really blame people for finding it hard to actually conceptualise how horrific a Nazi victory would be, let alone stomach it?
3) Most of the people doing the Nazi-wanks are doing it for the "fun" factor or rule of cool, not because they think its realistic. I do agree that its nice to see a more realistic take on an Axis victory scenario, though.

True about Paradox's position, it's when you read the comments on the Nazi mods that turns my stomach I guess. "This TL looks great, Germany number wun, Hitler did no wrong" ugh. I like the idea of someone at least acknowledging it would be a living nightmare and pissing off the Werhaboos and neo-Nazi edge-lords in the process. I can imagine the comments section of this mod on Steam being flooded with butt hurt Hitler fanboys.

Side note, I remember when someone was making a flag pack for Stellaris and he had all these people demanding he make a Swastika flag for their Nazi Space Empires. By some idiotic logic they were saying he was infringing on free speech by not doing so. Author eventually released a really crude swastika drawn on paint in rainbow colours to really fuck them off.

Last edited:
Here's a WIP that's I made within the last two days instead of working on Dreams of Liberty and getting a new chapter out for a planned future history series of maps. The actual map of Earth is done, all I need now is a key (which I've never done before, so who knows if I'll even do that) and the maps of Mars and the Moon. I also tried playing around with a simplistic style where instead of doing internal borders and colors galore I only colored major powers and their respective spheres of influence. That aside, this map depicts the year 2072, a time period politically dominated by China while India has adopted radical capitalism and a neo-colonialism mindset through a collection of invasions across the Indian Ocean. More details will be involved in the final product, but feel free to ask questions for now. :)

2072-Bold New Future.png

Last edited:
Awesome! I would have thought that Norway would have more missile launch sites. And um why hasn't the Channel islands been occupied by the Germans like OTL?

Thanks! The Faroe launch site was much closer to america so it was expended, early rockets (the A4, A8 and A4 variants like the A4b) didn't have enough range to be useful in norway while they could hit all of iceland and scotland from the faroe, They started to build a missile launch site for the A10 in Finnmark but it wasn't completed by the the beginning of the civil war.

One of the term of the 1941 armistice between the UK and Germany was that they both would stop occupying the Channel islands and the Faroe, it was controversial but the UK agreed since Jersey and Guernsey had a quite large british population, eventually they agreed on naval and plane restriction on these islands, that both side eventually circumvented (Atlantic Union ignored it after the start of the german civil war and germany put a lot of missiles there).

Yes i know that the maps contradict themselves in a lot of way, but we changed a lot of small bits of lore since we started the mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.