Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greece 281.jpg

A scenario in which the Gallic Army led by Brennos scatters the combined Greek Army at Delphi and manages to establish a Gallic Kingdom in central Greece. The Macedonian Kingdom is in chaos after the death of their King at the hands of the Celtic Invaders. The Greek States of the south plan to put aside their squabbles and unite against the foreigners, but this has not come to fruition yet. In the meantime, Brennos consolidates his gains, and dreams of taking Athens and leading his men into the plains of Asia Minor.

Deleted member 108228

I have an idea for a map concept that is swishing inside my mind for a while. What if Pink Diamond from the Steven Universe world rebelled and founded her own state isolated from the rest of the world?

Just as help for a map: Would the border be straight or more natural for the country?

Deleted member 108228

Basic country shape for Crystallia-Anthria. I need help with the divisions

The main ideas for the divisions are the Human Zones, near hospitable climate at the Nile rivers, Ethiopia, and the South of the country. Creation Zones, i.e. the Kindergarten places at the deserts and the inhospitable parts, and the capital should be in east Ethiopia.

I also have an idea for a civil war.

Attachments

• Basemap.png
    Basemap.png
    159.2 KB · Views: 931
A scenario in which the Gallic Army led by Brennos scatters the combined Greek Army at Delphi and manages to establish a Gallic Kingdom in central Greece. The Macedonian Kingdom is in chaos after the death of their King at the hands of the Celtic Invaders. The Greek States of the south plan to put aside their squabbles and unite against the foreigners, but this has not come to fruition yet. In the meantime, Brennos consolidates his gains, and dreams of taking Athens and leading his men into the plains of Asia Minor.

I am surprise the Gallic was this successful. The Greeks should be kicking his and his Gaul ass by this point. The Greeks simply better and more soldiers, better tech, greater logistics and greater wealth then Brennos and his Army.

Either way, this Galatia would become very Greek very soon. (As the Greeks has a very powerful cultural sway. This is near the height of the Hellenistic period after all.)

I am surprise the Gallic was this successful. The Greeks should be kicking his and his Gaul ass by this point. The Greeks simply better and more soldiers, better tech, greater logistics and greater wealth then Brennos and his Army.

Either way, this Galatia would become very Greek very soon. (As the Greeks has a very powerful cultural sway. This is near the height of the Hellenistic period after all.)

Well, in OTL the Celts really did beat a few Macedonian Armies in the field and even killed their King, and they also defeated the Greeks at the Second Battle of Thermopylae. They were eventually repulsed at Delphi, but I think just one good victory there and the Greeks would’ve been out of commission for a few years. Even after the death of Brennos and the rout of the Gallic army after Delphi, they still managed to form a short lived kingdom in Thrace and a much longer lasting Kingdom of Galatia in Anatolia that survived all the way until the Romans annexed the region. So, I would say this alternate Galatia has even better odds for survival than OTL did, although ITTL Kingdom might face a coalition including the Seleucids so who knows.

As for language, Roman and Biblical sources (including the Letters to the Galatians in the Bible) attest to the survival of the Galatian language (an amalgamation of Greek and Gaulish) until at least the 4th century. This language survived despite being surrounded by Hellenics for centuries. I would argue that a larger and more cohesive Helleno-Gallic state that is much closer to his kin in the Balkans would have much for of a long lasting linguistic impression on the region if given a while to settle and consolidate. I may end up continuing this PoD through another medium so we’ll find out.

Well, in OTL the Celts really did beat a few Macedonian Armies in the field and even killed their King, and they also defeated the Greeks at the Second Battle of Thermopylae. They were eventually repulsed at Delphi, but I think just one good victory there and the Greeks would’ve been out of commission for a few years. Even after the death of Brennos and the rout of the Gallic army after Delphi, they still managed to form a short lived kingdom in Thrace and a much longer lasting Kingdom of Galatia in Anatolia that survived all the way until the Romans annexed the region. So, I would say this alternate Galatia has even better odds for survival than OTL did, although ITTL Kingdom might face a coalition including the Seleucids so who knows.

As for language, Roman and Biblical sources (including the Letters to the Galatians in the Bible) attest to the survival of the Galatian language (an amalgamation of Greek and Gaulish) until at least the 4th century. This language survived despite being surrounded by Hellenics for centuries. I would argue that a larger and more cohesive Helleno-Gallic state that is much closer to his kin in the Balkans would have much for of a long lasting linguistic impression on the region if given a while to settle and consolidate. I may end up continuing this PoD through another medium so we’ll find out.

I am still not seeing it. I can see Celtic growth in the countryside whole the major towns and cities stay Greek till the rest of Greece beat the shit out of the Celts like it was 490 BC. Or wait for the Romans to come knocking. And Brennos won't be able to get reinforcements.

So in short, this Kingdom of Galatia is at best the Yuan dynasty in China.

However, I would not mind seeing this down the line.

Last edited:
Planet D

I saw @Beedok ‘s excellent Alphabet ISOT world serie, and was inspired to remake one of her maps.

I have used her D world map as template. I have mostly let the Congolese border stay much like she did. But the rest of the map have seen changes based on some ideas I got.

I was thinking, about the difference in how a developed country would spread versus developing and undeveloped states, with primary focus on Denmark. It’s not meant as some kind of improvement of Beedoks work, but just my own thoughts about a potential ISOT.

WorldD.png

We’re 200 years after the ISOT in 2017. The ISOT resulted in the collapse of the world economy, even in Denmark and the Dominican Republic both with rather developed industrial sectors, we saw a collapse of modern technology decades backward. While the effect was worse on D. R. Congo and Djibouti, where society almost collapsed back to pre-industrial. Djibouti stayed stable thanks to the large military presence of foreigner powers. Congo on the other hand collapse almost completely into warlord ruled states. Kinshasa was the only place which upkept somewhat modern technology and industry. Denmark and the Dominican Republic had it own problem to deal with, and was unwilling and unable to intervene. It didn’t help that the Dominican Republic pretty much made every illegal immigrant (read Haitians) in the republic a indentured servant. The Danes wasn’t happy about, this but they had their own problem to deal with including the fact that penal labour replaced imprisonment. When Denmark made contact with Djibouti, much of the foreign military presence in country sought asylum in Denmark and got it, only the Chinese and Saudi stay there as mercenaries. The Christian minority in Djibouti almost all Ethiopian Christians choose a exodus to the Ethiopian highland, where they dwell in theocratic republic by modern day.

By modern day the world have seen some population increase. Congo being somewhat the exception as the lack of access to modern technology, have resulted in a lower population density. The Pygmies ironic does pretty well, when modern guns became rare, they begun to have a edge on their Bantu neighbours. They haven’t created states, but they have increased in numbers and have pushed the Bantu neighbours somewhat out of the Central African jungles. The Djibouti have spread as herders into much of Somalia and across the strait to Yemen and one tribal group have set their own state up in Oman. The Dominicans have colonised much of the Caribbean and set up a federation. They gave after 50 years the Haitians their freedom, but forced them to resettle on Jamaica, which do as well as you would expect a state populated by ex-slaves forced to resettle a empty island would do. The Dominican Federation are pretty much a developed country by now, it’s still behind Denmark, but the rest of the world can only look at them with jealousy. Dominica fearing the expansion of the other Dominicans and potential enslavement or resettlement, have pretty much become a Danish vassal.

Denmark are not a superpower, but it’s the strongest military, technology and economic power on World D. It was fully able to feed itself after the ISOT, so their expansion have been based on the need for resource and long term strategic interests. There have been some attempt for voluntary ethnic resettlement with mixed results. Superficial Denmark look like a country trapped in the Cold War with how their tech look. But the propeller airplanes may look primitive, but a lot of the supporting technology are decades ahead of 2018. The Danes have seen no need for recreate a lot of technology, where more primitive technology does the job just as well. This would for a person from 2018 give the modern Danish technology a weird vibes of high tech and low tech.

Denmark are surprising the most populated country in the world, with a third of the world’s population (Denmark have 105 million people). This are caused by natalist policies and social changes caused by the more of the population working in agriculture and industry than in 2018, but also some immigration.

The main colonised areas are north Germany, Kattegat hinterland, Britain, Sicily and the Po Valley. North Germany and Kattegat are logical. England was colonised fast, because Denmark needed access to the vast reserve of coal in England, and by 2218 it have become the centre of Danish heavy industry, with few cities not focusing on industry.

Sicily was colonised as a agricultural region producing mostly fruit, while the Po Valley was also one of the most fertile region in Europe. This region have become surprisingly densely populated by 2018 filled with farms.

Danish colonisation are surprisingly often started with penal colonies.

For Greenland the ISOT was a disaster, deeply depending on Denmark for the economy to run around, the Danes could no longer afford to to spend so much money on the Greenlander. So most of population was forceful resettle in the four big towns to save money. The population ended up working in local industry, this have created a lot of bitterness against Denmark, but by modern day Greenland have become pretty well functioning and have set up new settlements including one on Baffin Island. The population are surprising small (aroiund 100.000) thanks to large emigration to mainland Denmark.

Faroe did far better, their economy was healthy their population pyramid was also far healthier. As such they have resettled a lot of region abroad. The Danish government have agreed to split the British Islands and Norway with the Faroese. They have gotten Vestlandet, Scotland minus the Lowland and all of Ireland. By now the Faroese are discussing independence, but it’s relative unpopular, as many think it could in fact give the Faroese less political power.

Code

A: Hamburg-Bremen, Denmark had both a a German minority, a large number of German guest workers and a large number of German tourist at the ISOT. Likely there was over 200.000 German in the country at ISOT. While most stayed in Denmark some wished to recreate a German homeland, this ended up a success. The ethnic homelands are part of Denmark, but have other languages have co-official status in them.

B: Stettin-Pomerania, a similar attempt was done with Poles in Stettin, this failed for several reasons. Today only 10% of the population in the area are Polish speakers

C: Wijselland, the creation of this ethnic homeland was accidental, Denmark had established a small outpost at Gdansk (now known as Danzig again), when some large Dutch farmer families from Jutland decided to settle in the delta, a 30 years later the Danes that the region was populated by several thousand Dutch speakers. A new homeland was set up afterward.

D: The Free State of Rome, because of the interest of Dominican Catholic to set up Rome again, Denmark set up settlement zone for Catholics around Rome. This seem to work very well, as it have kept the Dominicans from completely dominate the Catholic Church.

E: The Free State of Jerusalem, Danish and Faroese religious fundamentalist set this settlement up. Conflict with other Christian which wished access to Jerusalem, forced the Danes to establish a protectorate over the region. The majority of the population are still Lutherans, but it’s also home to communities of other Christians, some Palestinians and a few Jews.

F: Free State of Mecca, Danish Muslim pretty much did the same thing here, the Danes in a panic over whether different religious sects would transform the Red Sea to into a massive warzone, intervened and set up a protectorate over the city. There’s some anger among some Muslims, but most like the Danish hand off approach and the Djibouti clans are happy that the Danes have a presence in the region, instead of just ignoring it.

G: International City of Matadi, Denmark have set up control over this city a few decades ago, this was to ensure the access of trade to Congolese states. The result have been improvements in local living standards and increasing stability in the regions. Matadi have become a safe spot in a chaotic region and the Danes have also set up tertiary education in the city with several universities. It's also centre of the Lutheran mission in Africa.

H: Sicily, a penal colony set up a few decades after the fall, by modern day it have not only become a major agricultural producer and a major tourist destination. It have also become a centre of emigration from the Dominican Federation and the Congolese states. The population of the island are increasing mixed race, and it have been discussed whether it should be expanded to Tunisia and the Italian mainland.

I: Istanbul/Miklagaard, Istanbul was used as resettle area for Turks and Kurd, but also ended in failure. While the majority of the population have Turkish/Kurdish ancestry and a Muslims, they speak Danish and identify as Danish. They increasing use the name Miklagaard (Miklagård) in protest against the small minority of Turkish speakers, who still push their language.

Major language of D World

Danish: The most widely spoken language, pretty much the lingua franca of D World.

Spanish: The clear number two language on the world

French: French survived the Congolese collapse without any great trouble and most Congolese have adopted it as first language today. It’s in general seen as a low prestige language outside Africa

Bantu Language: While pushed back by French these still survive and does pretty well.

Somali: have pretty much expanded to its old range.

Afar: Also does pretty well it have spread to Arabia and the Ethiopian highland.

Arab: Spoken by some Djibouti tribes and in Denmark, where a quarter of the Muslim population use it. In fact around 2% speak the language in Denmark. It’s official language in the Free State of Mecca.

Faroese: It does surprisingly well around 1,5 million people speak the language and it’s expanding.

German: It survives, it’s unlikely to ever return to greatness, but it will survive, around 400.000 people speak it as first language. Of which 80% live in Hamburg-Bremen.

Greenlandic: It’s clinging on barely, it’s expected it will survive, but there’s still only 50.000 speakers, with half the population of Greenland using Danish.

Dutch: Pretty much the most surprising survivor. It’s spoken by 50.000 people, of which 90% lives in the Vistula Delta. It’s the faster growing language thank to a high birth rate among the speakers.

Last edited:
Planet D

I saw @Beedok ‘s excellent Alphabet ISOT world serie, and was inspired to remake one of her maps.

I have used her D world map as template. I have mostly let the Congolese border stay much like she did. But the rest of the map have seen changes based on some ideas I got.

I was thinking, about the difference in how a developed country would spread versus developing and undeveloped states, with primary focus on Denmark. It’s not meant as some kind of improvement of Beedoks work, but just my own thoughts about a potential ISOT.

Eh, you've followed the general issue with ISOTs that Beedok avoids- far to generous assessment of colonisation, and odd areas to settle.

I mean if you're going to do very large scale settlement a long distance from home, you don't go for the whole of Britain from Denmark, or Normandy, you'd aim for the Ukrainian steppe. Beedok doesn't have that, but then she just has Denmark largely settling locally and just starting to go overseas so it still makes a large amount of sense.

And really, Palestine has very little attraction for a largely secular country like Denmark.

Eh, you've followed the general issue with ISOTs that Beedok avoids- far to generous assessment of colonisation, and odd areas to settle.

They're only odd because you don't look at the resources and what Denmark need. UK have easy access to coal, steel and tin, which Denmark need desperate. Svealand give access to copper, other settlements are place at rivers, which means they're placed there for future expansion.

I mean if you're going to do very large scale settlement a long distance from home, you don't go for the whole of Britain from Denmark, or Normandy, you'd aim for the Ukrainian steppe.

Denmark can feed itself, it doesn't need to settle Ukraine.

Beedok doesn't have that, but then she just has Denmark largely settling locally and just starting to go overseas so it still makes a large amount of sense.

Honestly settling Sicily or Kaliningrad makes little different for a modern state, so why go with something which deliver little new.

And really, Palestine has very little attraction for a largely secular country like Denmark.

Yes I'm sure that after a Act of God, like the ISOT to a virgin world, people will stay just as secular. Also I'm Danish, I'm pretty sure I have a better idea of the exent of secularism in Denmark. We're not some one aligment race from the Monster Guide, a lot of Danes are very religious, yes they're minority, but if Israel/Palestina became empty tomorrow and no other people took it, thousands of Danes would move there.

They're only odd because you don't look at the resources and what Denmark need. UK have easy access to coal, steel and tin, which Denmark need desperate. Svealand give access to copper, other settlements are place at rivers, which means they're placed there for future expansion.

And if it was just NE England and Cornwall I'd get it, but there's no reason to settle the highlands of Scotland. Or even the midlands. or most of Wales.

Denmark can feed itself, it doesn't need to settle Ukraine.

Then why does it need the Po Valley?

Honestly settling Sicily or Kaliningrad makes little different for a modern state, so why go with something which deliver little new.

It's a lot easier to support Kaliningrad initially than Sicily, and in order to cultivate fruit you actually need to have the fruit to start off with. I suspect that Denmark's not exactly brimming with seed plants for modern cultivars of lemons, grapes or olives and the virgin earth equivalents will be damn near inedible compared to domesticates. Frankly at the scale of production Denmark will be able to manage even medium term it's more efficient to just use polytunnels in Scania.

Yes I'm sure that after a Act of God, like the ISOT to a virgin world, people will stay just as secular. Also I'm Danish, I'm pretty sure I have a better idea of the exent of secularism in Denmark. We're not some one aligment race from the Monster Guide, a lot of Danes are very religious, yes they're minority, but if Israel/Palestina became empty tomorrow and no other people took it, thousands of Danes would move there.

They might want to move there, but I suspect the cold hard realities of colonising a virgin earth- clearing the land, establishing farms and so forth- would be a very different matter.

And while people may no longer be secular, where's the guarantee that they'll take to traditional religion? Heck why does this suggest Israel should be important to the Danish people, rather than suggesting that it's Denmark which is the promised land?

The WIP I had created is done. It's of a pretty ASB future where Mars terraforming has gone well and is pretty much complete by 2200 (again, quite ASB but bear with me.) On Earth, the balance of power has shifted quite drastically in the past two centuries. The big four great powers are the European Confederation, China, India, and (to a somewhat lesser extent) the Maghreb Union. All four have competing interests around the world (and Mars too) and it is theorized that a war between these powers may be on the horizon. I'll go over the scenario continent by continent
The Americas:
These two centuries would be dominated by the waning, and eventual fracturing of the United States. Once the foremost global power, the US (or rather the USs) have fallen a long way from that. The twenty first century saw a decline in economic power and the military became extremely bloated and stretched thin. As such, the nation became more and more insular and heavily divided along political lines. This would hit the fan in 2113, when a Second American Civil War erupted. The war was horrific and both sides suffered heavy casualties and the economy was hit even harder than before. After the war the two nations born of the war would be very different, the Federal Republic of America (the yellow) would become isolationist while the Democratic Union of American States (the blue-green) would ally itself with Europe. Elsewhere, Canada would be a staunch ally of Europe while Argentina would begin to gain clout in the international community. Brazil however would collapse in the 2030s due to corruption and Venezuela would suffer a Civil War in 2020 which would leave the country devastated. All in all, the US really got the short end of the stick, but Latin America didn't do too bad.
Europe:
The European Union would see a gradual unification during the decades of the 21st and 22nd centuries. The EU would suffer some instability during the 2020s and 2030s as nationalism became a threat to the union. However, in the long term, the Union survived and officially united into the European Confederation in 2072. In the East however, many were dissatisfied with the union and the Visegrad Group would officially separate from the EU in 2064, and uniting in the year 2108. Further East, Russia would see a steady economic decline until it utterly collapsed in 2068 as oil was phased out in many countries. The uneasy peace between the Visegrad Group and the European Confederation wouldn't last as in 2173 the Great European War would begin. It would be long and hard fought, but the European Confederacy would eventually prevail, mostly due to a larger economy and population. Today Europe is largely united under the political influence of the EC.
Asia and the Pacific:
The two centuries would see Asia truly come to dominance, going from a backwater in 1950 to having two of the leading global powers in 2050. China would progressively replace the US as a global power throughout the 21st century. However, India was also experienced a rapid rise too and, after defeating Pakistan in 2049, India and China fought a series of proxy wars over Southeast Asia. After the collapse of Russia, China also expanded North and West in another series of wars and purchases. The 2030s would also see the Third Sino- Japanese War, which wold see China victorious and Japan humiliated. India and China would also come to blows in 2132, with the war being inconclusive as neither could really make a breakthrough. Thus, Asia is still in gridlock between two rival powers, which many believe will have another confrontation in the near future.
Africa:
Africa would probably see the most gain out of anyone from these two centuries, going from a backwater in 2018 to a global power house but a century later. Africa would slowly grow and stabilize during the first part of the 21st century, with the Maghreb Union forming in 2072, East African Federation in 2045, and West African Federation in 2104. These three countries would see increased standards of living and overall expand their spheres of influence. Today, they are the new upstart powers, ready to challenge the older established nations.
The Middle East:
The Middle East would not be unscathed by the horrors of war in these two centuries. General infighting and oppression continued until, during the 2060s and 2070s, as oil became completely obsolete, the oil dependent Middle Eastern governments would fall, one by one, with the ensuing Civil Wars causing more strife. Today the Middle East is still recovering, optimistically looking forward to a brighter future.
Mars:
Mars would be colonized and terraformed over the decades until, by 2200, it was fully suitable for life. Many nations have colonized this new frontier, along with a few mega corporations (yellow outline on map)
futuremapp.png

Deleted member 97083

Planet D

Interesting scenario, I would say, the Congo's diaspora would probably be significantly larger and the country might try to reunite eventually with one state claiming to be the federal government of the others; the official D.R. Congo.

Also, Denmark might invest in a highway connecting Denmark to the Adriatic Sea. There would also probably be more areas claimed for petroleum extraction with only a bare amount of settlement, though of course the North Sea would be the main source.

I mean if you're going to do very large scale settlement a long distance from home, you don't go for the whole of Britain from Denmark, or Normandy, you'd aim for the Ukrainian steppe. Beedok doesn't have that, but then she just has Denmark largely settling locally and just starting to go overseas so it still makes a large amount of sense.

I think the colonization is pragmatic given that it's 200 years after the ISOT. Social and economic changes of an empty Earth, deindustrialization and reindustrialization would drastically change the population pyramid.

As for location of colonies, right now Britain is perceived as more hospitable than Ukraine. If settlement was up to "free market" factors rather than centrally planned, then more people would move to an empty Britain than an empty Ukraine simply due to those areas' reputations, even if Ukraine was more profitable long-term. As transport to Britain becomes cheaper and the settlements more developed, then this initial effect would lead to Britain being a far more populated colony.

Last edited by a moderator:
le1xOGw.png

The completed version of this map I posted on the WIP thread.
This map show the earth in a future history 20 years after WW3, a web of worldwide conflicts that happened from a period of 2041-2047. Here is a short history of the world: Trump survives 2 terms as president, strengthing relations with Commonwealth Nations and in specific, the East Asian Tigers of Japan, Korea, and ROC, while Communist China goes its own way and returns to Maoist thought. China successfully spreads its beliefs to East Africa, where the states unify as one. In Brazil, years of poor economies and corruption in the government results in the Brazilian Communist Party taking power in the late 2020s. In East Asia, Years of diplomatic pressure ends with the reunification of the Koreas. In 2032, British Exit from the EU results in a revival in British Nationalism. In the elections of that year, the republican British Unionist Party wins in a landslide. They expel the Royal Family, who escape to the Commonwealth Nations of South Africa, the West Indies, Canada, and Australasia where they take control, elevating their princes to rule over the Parliaments. In Russia, the Eurasian Union is a success, bringing in the nations of Turkestan + Armenia into the Russian Sphere. and Belarus into direct control. The EU grows weaker out of the pains of centralisation, with the Balkan members leaving the EU by the 2030s. India, Argentina, and Egypt all establish themselves as top dogs of their regions by the 2030s. The ideology of Islamism by then is a past thought, with Arab Nationalist fever hitting the Middle East.

Then, in 2031, disaster struck the world the US debt ran uncontrolled for years, reaching 42 T USD, defaulted. The world ran into economic calamity, known as the Great Trough. The Balkan Nations of Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, and Serbia united their nations around the Ideology of Praetorianism, an ideology based around technocratic corprocratic authoritarian democracies (a mouthful), joining the Eurasian Union in 2035. In Mexico, economic strife resulted in Mexico going commie. India and Pakistan fight a quick war, with India conquering Pakistan and incorporating most of the Indian Subcontinent. The Eurasian Union licked their lips at a EU facing near collapse and internal strife, with Russia and the Balkan states preparing to conquer irredentist claims against EU members and Ukraine. The Platinese Republic is formed from Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile. South America is split into spheres; one Platinese and Nationalist, other Brazilian and Communist. Brazil supported Communist rebels and coups, resulting in the mobilisation of the Platinese Army and increased tension. The Arab Nationalist Movement picks up steam, as the flag of a united Arab people flies over much of North Africa after a series of popular referendums. Shortly after in 2039, Jordan, Iraq, and the Arabian Peninsula joined in. However, due to foreign influences, Syria refused to grant a referendum, to the ire of their populace. Meanwhile, Tensions between the new United Arab Republic and Iran grew over the territory of Khuzestan and Hormuz. By the end of the decade the economy, while still weak, had recovered significantly from its deepest trough from 2033-2034. The Eurasian Union rapidly industrialised, based around its statist-corporatist beliefs. The *modern* San Francisco Pact underwent rapid technological growth, with the first Railgun Battleship, the USS Columbia being launched in 2037, and Japan constructing futurist neo-oriental skyscrapers by the thousands.

A series of alliances where founded or expanded during the Great Trough; in 2034 The US, the Commonwealth nations of Canada, Australasia, the West Indies, Japan, the Republic of China, Korea, Israel, and Nigeria gathered in San Francisco to found a new alliance; the San Francisco Pact. based around the ideals of liberty, democracy (a stretch), and high tech, the alliance sought to protect against the rising tide of ideology. The 5th International of Socialists and Communists was founded at a meeting of Socialist and Communist countries in Mombasa. The alliance agreed upon defending each other from Capitalist advances. The Eurasian Union gained allies from the Praetorians/Centralists/Vodachists to the south, preparing for their soon shat down of the EU. The Eurasian Union had united around essentially cyberpunk-ish rule, being authoritarian democracies with a corporatist and statist economic base featuring casual corruption and hyperindustialisation. In 2040 the last new alliance system was founded, the Buenos Aires-Cairo-Dehli Axis. The UAR, India+ Rio de Plata created the Axis Agreement, agreeing to fight for their nationalist endeavors.

In 2041, the war that began the series of interlocking wars of WW3 began. The Eurasian Union invaded the EU, rapidly overrunning the NATO forces. The Eurasian forces would reach at their peak Paris in 2044. The Siege of Paris would be one of the largest battles in history, with about 2.5 million men being at a frontline at any point in the battle. The Eurasian combined army, overextended, would lose the Siege of Paris, retreating all the way back to the borders of OTL East Germany and the Alps. by 2047. The EAU-EU War would end with the Treaty of Bonn. The War would be a technical victory for the Eurasians, with the desired goal of gaining territory from the EU and rebalancing of power. The US would be embarassed by their poor performance in the war, hurting the national spirit. After the war, the 1st EU would summarily collapse, to be reborn like a phoenix as the 2nd European Union. The 2nd EU would be much more centralised than the old EU. the devastation of the war would leave the EU economically, militarily, and politically devastated.

The UAR and the EAU's tension reached a breaking point when the UAR occupied Syria to force a unification referendum. When President Assad refused, the UAR declared war. The UAR subsequently incorporated Syria into the republic. Iran, a member of the EAU entered the conflict over the issue of Khuzestan. The Khuzestan War would become trench warfare across the frontline running through Khuzestan and the Zagros mountains. After 4 years of brutal fighting, the Arabians got a breakthrough in Battle of Bavi, resulting in Iran's capitulation in December of 2046. UAR would win its desired territories.

The US's default on its debt resulted in the global economic calamity of the 2030s, but it refused to pay off the debt, seeing it as marked off. China had debted 13 T USD to us, yet we refused to pay off a penny. 10 years of IOUs, China would gave the US an ultimatum: pay off the debt or war. The US would refuse, and the Debt War began. For the US and the SanFran Pact, years of strong technological growth across all sectors would be put to the test militarily. The Debt War was mostly naval, as he US would put its new class of Railgun Battleships, the Columbia-class and other technological marvels to the test against the Chinese war machine. China would attempt an invasion of Korea that would be repulsed. Based in Taiwan, the US planned and successfully implemented naval invasions of Hong Kong, Macau, Guangzhouwan, and Hainan. The war saw multiple massive naval battles, peaking with the Battle of the Paracell Islands in 2045, a naval battle that saw the SanFran Pact battle fleet fight the Chinese main battle fleet in a climactic battle. The SanFran Pact would win the battle, and so on the war as in early 2046 China would forgive the US's debt, and the ROC would gain territories from the naval invasions. The US would be hurt patriotically by the lead up to the war and the war itself; The war was the beginning of the chain of events that caused the "New Birth of Freedom" reforms of the 2050s.

The final war that made up WW3 was the Platinese-Brazilian War, which technically is still going on, just only as a frozen conflict. After years of competing rebel groups and coups in South America as the two continental powers sought to gain influence and power, the Brazilians took things just a little to far in 2042 when they supported a communist uprising in Montevideo. The Uprising was quickly crushed, but when the Platinese found the missing link between the Brazilians and the Rebels, a diplomatic crisis began. In 2043, a plane carrying the Platinese national football team when for a friendly match to Honduras was shot down by a group of communist militiamen in the Brazilian rainforest, Rio de Plata immediately declared war. The war had a quick mobile phase where the Platinese conquered most of lowland Rio Grande do Sul, but since 2044, the war has been pure trench warfare. The Platinese and Brazilian high commands recognised this and abandoned all offensive operations in 2045, deciding to turn the conflict into a frozen conflict where the only fighting is artillery and in the air. The war has helped cause great instability in members of the belligerents spheres, Peru being in a state of civil war since the conflict and communist rebellion fighting guerilla warfare in Bolivia and Paraguay. The war has caused strained relationships between the two powers, resulting in a Cold War between the two, like the last century between the Soviets and Americans.

WW3 completely changed the World Order, with the Old World Order from 1991-2047 ending. The European union of old was destroyed, and replaced with a much more pooerer centralised version. US was hurt patriotically severly, with many americans refusing to fly the flag and the national mood being mellow. In the US, the parties of old, the Democrats and Republicans, were replaced by the catch-all-party, the National Alliance Party winning in an overwhelming landslide in the 2048 elections, on a promise of a "New Birth of Freedom". When they took office, they went right to work rebuilding america in their beliefs. The New Birth of Freedom reforms were relatively simple, the US government would push "State Americana" to the US people, hoping to rebuild patriotism from the ground up. State Americana is a relatively simple ideology based around US civil religion; with the Constitution taught as god's commandments for the people and the state given to us by the angel Columbia and other past quasi-religious beliefs being elevated. The reforms were a resounding success, with US feeling more patriotic *now* the after 9/11. In 2053, USA was renamed the Columbian Federation to make the point that the USA was god's chosen land by the angel Columbia.

Past countries that were viewed as "third-world" became elevated to world power status. By the end of the 2050s, the world power list is as follows in order of power: CF, Russia, China, UAR, India, Brazil, de Plata, UEAC, Japan, and the EU. As conflicts between the Platinese and Brazil begin to heat up again, the future of the region is in question. In the Congo, absolute chaos as befallen the country. A UN peacekeeping force has been sent to stabilise the region, while Nigerian, East African, and South African forces have invaded the country in hopes of winning their collective continental power struggle. In Mexico, the CF has actively funded drug cartels to take control of border cities to fight the commie government. Overall, the world has fallen into a great Cold War between the major powers.

Then, in 2067, the greatest invention of the millennia was discovered by a joint Japanese-Columbian research team led by Ichirou Fukumura and Eric Schuster: the Warp Drive. the Fukumura-Schuster drive is a warp rive designed around essentially instead of launching a spaceship at FTL speeds, finding a shortcut through cutting space time and getting to a place almost instantly with little work. For the past 50 years, lunar bases were founded by the nations of Earth. the UN created UN Plan 28 to attempt terraforming Luna. The Plan spelled out the massive industrialisation of Luna with "dirty" industry, turning Luna into Earth's spaceyard, and essentially Norilsk in space. by 2067, 40 years after the first Lunar base was founded, the population of the moon was 13 million, mostly living underground mass producing goods to be sent to Earth. In the 2050s the first martian bases were founded by the major blocs. the discovery and testing of the Warp Drive has opened a completely new frontier for humanity. welcome to Under the Milky Way.

Last edited:
As for location of colonies, right now Britain is perceived as more hospitable than Ukraine. If settlement was up to "free market" factors rather than centrally planned, then more people would move to an empty Britain than an empty Ukraine simply due to those areas' reputations, even if Ukraine was more profitable long-term. As transport to Britain becomes cheaper and the settlements more developed, then this initial effect would lead to Britain being a far more populated colony.

Initial colonists would either need to be state-supported, or rugged farmer types though. The former would probably focus on crucial mining outposts and some support infrastructure, the latter would be likely to know that the Black Earth of Ukraine is incredibly fertile.

Status
Not open for further replies.