Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
On this note, higher quality maps can be made in Inkscape or Illustrator or Photoshop once you get to that level of detail. Honestly, the MBAM is a bit excessive.

If you know what you're doing, a WorldA can look awesome.

I tend to use QBAM to sketch timelines before making a better map in paint.net. QBAM seems to have more bases

mughal sudivisions.png
in response to mughal subdivisions

The Republic of Western Australia

59cZCODb9zkkKVC4xOg_q8gn2SPkIo2UsSxcBlHCE_Y.png

Following the Territorial gains in the Great Lakes War [OTL war of 1812], the British put in a lot more effort into settling their North American Colonies. But what is added to one, must be removed from another. Settler colonies like Uganda and Kenya were never pursued and what few settler colonies were established were lessened. This is most evident in the Republic of Western Australia. The Colony had less settlers arrive from the East and in turn, developed its own culture. During federation, Western Australia voted no, leading to a divided Australia. In the early 1910's, the Colony of Western Australia was given self government as its own dominion and was divided into five departments derived from the previously established divisions within the colony.

Miners in the regions of Aurelia [In and around Eucla] heavily believed that it was a bad choice to not join the Commonwealth and 1902, held a referendum to secede into the Commonwealth separately as the state of Aurelia. Whether or not they were allowed to secede did not matter in the end as the referendum was only 42% for. However, it is widely believed in the Commonwealth of Australia that this referendum was rigged.

Due to the lack of tariffs, industry slowly rusted away leading up to the Great War and Western Australia became completely dependent on Primary Industries. The Great Depression further plummeted Western Australia and when commodity prices collapsed, the entire state fell into chaos. Local Strongmen rise to power and are able to keep the state together under an Authoritarian Rule. Support for the government only went up in the west coast following the Australian Civil War, in which the separatists in the Eucla area attempted to join the Commonwealth anyways and were quickly put down under threat of halting the construction of water pipelines. Essentially, the Aurelia had money in gold, but no water; while the rest of Western Australia had water and little money.

The American Empire was still supporting and benefiting from Banana republics, and was more than happy to keep Western Australia afloat. The Commonwealth shunned the Dominion, leading to the establishment of a republic in the early 60's, which became a valuable US ally.

Any feedback, comments or criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Neat! This does make me wonder, though, what is in the land outside of the ISOT? Were people that left Qatar able to find wild grains and vegetables and what have you and cultivate them or did they need to bring seeds from Qatar itself? Are they able to hunt things?
Lots of hunting options. Foraging has been trickier and some plants are needing re-domestication. Qatar did trade out most inedible seeds, and a few people smuggled out useful edible ones. Really a grab bag.

On this note, higher quality maps can be made in Inkscape or Illustrator or Photoshop once you get to that level of detail. Honestly, the MBAM is a bit excessive.

If you know what you're doing, a WorldA can look awesome.

I don't think it's excessive, I have a project planned where it's like the perfect size for it, plus as someone who needs already pre established borders in order to draw good maps, the more subdivisions the better

Last edited:
Which is more preferred, Worlda or Q-bam?
It depends really.

@Sumire K 's "Californian Empire" map is great example of a good Q-bam map.

There are also some great Worlda maps, such as @TheWhereWolf 's "The-not-so-golden-cirlce" and @Xianfeng Emperor 's "New game, Old players".

At the end of the day, it's up to your own preferences really. Just know that good choice in colour, borders, and internal divisions can make any map great.

regarding asia; russia has the subdivisions already (they just don't show up too well on romanov yellow), as for china and mughal india, i'll get to work on those subdivisions later. the story here is a more evenly-developed world, gotta love a bit of industrial china.

as for the lake, it was done off of a worlda (hence why it's too big, a bit late to go back now if anything). and the qattara depression would've been a little too easy, but i may change the map to fix those bits. and the sahara sea? well i'll see what i can do to change these sorts of things, maybe even add whole new lakes

for reference i used the green sahara map (credit to ynot1989 for creating this map) which said worlda was based on.

looking at it i might want to change some bits, so... i'll work on that later i'm lazy as hell tbh
Question, how is the Amazon rain forest doing in this world? IIRC Since the Sahara is no longer a desert, there are no more dust storms that blow nutrient rich dust on the amazon to act as fertiliser. How is the rain forest doing without this?

Last edited:
It depends really.

@Sumire K 's "Californian Empire" map is great example of a good Q-bam map.

There are also some great Worlda maps, such as @TheWhereWolf 's "The-not-so-golden-cirlce" and @Xianfeng Emperor 's "New game, Old players".

At the end of the day, it's up to your own preferences really. Just know that good choice in colour, borders, and internal divisions can make any map great.

Question, how is the Amazon rain forest doing in this world? IIRC Since the Sahara is no longer a desert, there are no more dust storms that blow nutrient rich dust on the amazon to act as fertiliser. How is the rain forest doing without this?

Are those the actual posistions of cities for the California Empire map?

Status
Not open for further replies.