Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
asia.png
might as well revive this thread with an image of (mostly) continental asia

..again from my timeline because i'm uhhhhhhhhhhhhh self-promoting

View attachment 375972 i'm gonna subvert from america and present europe and the mediterranean rim in my timeline (affectionately named 'butterflies not included' for several reasons).

the important people:

british commune - not even communist, the guy in charge just wants you to think that

france - brittany and normandy said no

german empire - prussian blue, something no colour scheme can seem to achieve

intermarine state - a far-right intermarium because you gotta have something going wrong

dutch republic - yet napoleon still timeline?

italian republic - civil war happened a few years back, totally not important lol.

russian tsardom - modernisation! this time...

the extra bits:

iberia - balkanisation for the win i guess

the balkans themselves - austria-hungary dissolved in wars and so did byzantium, creating what you see before you

crimea - yup. back.

Why is the lake in Libya/Cyrenaica so big (only a small portion of that land is below sea level), plus you have the Sahara Sea in Tunisia/Algeria, but the Qattara Depression isn't flooded even though it's about as difficult to do engineering-wise (and gets you much bigger results).

Brilliant map, though I feel that China, India or Russia probably deserve some subdivisions for aesthetic reasons so as to spice things up. What's the story behind the map?

Why is the lake in Libya/Cyrenaica so big (only a small portion of that land is below sea level), plus you have the Sahara Sea in Tunisia/Algeria, but the Qattara Depression isn't flooded even though it's about as difficult to do engineering-wise (and gets you much bigger results).

regarding asia; russia has the subdivisions already (they just don't show up too well on romanov yellow), as for china and mughal india, i'll get to work on those subdivisions later. the story here is a more evenly-developed world, gotta love a bit of industrial china.

as for the lake, it was done off of a worlda (hence why it's too big, a bit late to go back now if anything). and the qattara depression would've been a little too easy, but i may change the map to fix those bits. and the sahara sea? well i'll see what i can do to change these sorts of things, maybe even add whole new lakes

eaREj1L.png

for reference i used the green sahara map (credit to ynot1989 for creating this map) which said worlda was based on.

looking at it i might want to change some bits, so... i'll work on that later i'm lazy as hell tbh

Regarding YNot1989's map, the Chots/Sahara Sea and the Gulf of Sidra were both created (in his TL) as a consequence of global warming and its resulting erosion (and then were dredged out when sea levels went back down), so they probably shouldn't actually be there in a "natural" green Sahara scenario.

Which is more preferred, Worlda or Q-bam?

Depends on the time you wish to spend on it. A worlda is faster and generally can be easier to understand unless you are going very deep into the subdivisions. The HRE is an example, a map with complex military operation could be another. If you are centering on just a portion of the world with great detail use Q-BAM, if not, worlda; unless you want to show the whole world too. What you could do then is to cut the important parts of the Q-BAM you need and paste them in your document and then do a worlda to show the world.

Honestly, most scenarios don't need that level of detail. A WorldA is fine most of the time - maybe QBAM if you need that detail.

As we are talking about the different map types etc...
What does one need to do/pay attention to when making a WorldA into a QBAM? A QBAM is 9 times the size of a WorldA, isn't it? How does one do such transfers?

As we are talking about the different map types etc...
What does one need to do/pay attention to when making a WorldA into a QBAM? A QBAM is 9 times the size of a WorldA, isn't it? How does one do such transfers?

They're two completely different projections (""projections""). you just have to redraw it from scratch

Honestly, most scenarios don't need that level of detail. A WorldA is fine most of the time - maybe QBAM if you need that detail.

On this note, higher quality maps can be made in Inkscape or Illustrator or Photoshop once you get to that level of detail. Honestly, the MBAM is a bit excessive.

If you know what you're doing, a WorldA can look awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.