Map Thread XVII

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Upvoteanthology, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Danube Mapper PRIMO VICTORIA!

[​IMG]
    AccedentLy deleted the quote. Anyways, I thought it was Steven King because of the above map, taken from his quote that I deleted.

Soverihn likes this.
  2. Goliath Well-Known Member

Apparently his given name is Steven- so maybe this universe’s Steve King goes by that? Maybe the author’s career stalled in the early 2000s so there’s less confusion.

3. Skallagrim Not the one from YouTube. Different other fellow.

Well, the author's name is spelled Stephen King, anyway. :) Since 'King' isn't exactly a super-rare surname, I imagine there must be multiple Steves, Stevens and Stephens with that surname walking around on Earth...

Goliath likes this.
  4. pixlation Well-Known Member

alternate europe.png i'm gonna subvert from america and present europe and the mediterranean rim in my timeline (affectionately named 'butterflies not included' for several reasons).

the important people:

british commune - not even communist, the guy in charge just wants you to think that

france - brittany and normandy said no

german empire - prussian blue, something no colour scheme can seem to achieve

intermarine state - a far-right intermarium because you gotta have something going wrong

dutch republic - yet napoleon still timeline?

italian republic - civil war happened a few years back, totally not important lol.

russian tsardom - modernisation! this time...

the extra bits:

iberia - balkanisation for the win i guess

the balkans themselves - austria-hungary dissolved in wars and so did byzantium, creating what you see before you

crimea - yup. back.

5. Marcus Sergius The Roman Soldier with an Iron Hand

11ACB717-E6E6-41AA-B5AF-2EC6BE42F49A.png

Map of what I hope the 2036 election looks like if I ran as a Republican. Pretty ASB, especially nowadays but it’s just an idealistic representation of what I hope my future might entail.

6. EmperorKazooKid *furiously playing the kazoo*

As a Democrat IRL I can’t really say it’s ideal in my opinion, but still interesting

HerrWasser and Marcus Sergius like this.
  7. pixlation Well-Known Member

asia.png might as well revive this thread with an image of (mostly) continental asia

..again from my timeline because i'm uhhhhhhhhhhhhh self-promoting

8. GustavusAdolphus1 Well-Known Member

I don't really see how the map is ASB, especially when compared to the 2016 election.

[​IMG]

Spelf and The Gunslinger like this.
  9. Xianfeng Emperor Likes Ireland, food and Aisin Gioros

Brilliant map, though I feel that China, India or Russia probably deserve some subdivisions for aesthetic reasons so as to spice things up. What's the story behind the map?

10. metalinvader665 Well-Known Member

Why is the lake in Libya/Cyrenaica so big (only a small portion of that land is below sea level), plus you have the Sahara Sea in Tunisia/Algeria, but the Qattara Depression isn't flooded even though it's about as difficult to do engineering-wise (and gets you much bigger results).

Zagan likes this.
  11. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Pretty sure that counts as the Canton of East Geneva. No asking why it is West of Geneva,

12. damein fisher An Actual Insane Person

Which is more preferred, Worlda or Q-bam?

13. HatKirby Well-Known Member

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally prefer the WorldA: it's easier to edit and understand, and IMO tends to look better.

14. pixlation Well-Known Member

regarding asia; russia has the subdivisions already (they just don't show up too well on romanov yellow), as for china and mughal india, i'll get to work on those subdivisions later. the story here is a more evenly-developed world, gotta love a bit of industrial china.

as for the lake, it was done off of a worlda (hence why it's too big, a bit late to go back now if anything). and the qattara depression would've been a little too easy, but i may change the map to fix those bits. and the sahara sea? well i'll see what i can do to change these sorts of things, maybe even add whole new lakes

[​IMG]
    for reference i used the green sahara map (credit to ynot1989 for creating this map) which said worlda was based on.

looking at it i might want to change some bits, so... i'll work on that later i'm lazy as hell tbh

Bob Hope, Malta, Soverihn and 28 others like this.
  15. cultural-deleonist one of those theythemmers

Regarding YNot1989's map, the Chots/Sahara Sea and the Gulf of Sidra were both created (in his TL) as a consequence of global warming and its resulting erosion (and then were dredged out when sea levels went back down), so they probably shouldn't actually be there in a "natural" green Sahara scenario.

Tyche likes this.
  16. pixlation Well-Known Member

that explains it

17. Fox-Fire I've jumped into the fire.

Depends on the time you wish to spend on it. A worlda is faster and generally can be easier to understand unless you are going very deep into the subdivisions. The HRE is an example, a map with complex military operation could be another. If you are centering on just a portion of the world with great detail use Q-BAM, if not, worlda; unless you want to show the whole world too. What you could do then is to cut the important parts of the Q-BAM you need and paste them in your document and then do a worlda to show the world.

18. the 14th doctor Well-Known Member

I'll actually prefer the M-bam once it's done, it allows your map to be more detailed and it allows you to flesh out your nation more with subdivisions

XO Mapping likes this.
  19. pixlation Well-Known Member

an m-bam

sir you have my upmost respect

the 14th doctor likes this.
  20. XO Mapping Efektiva felulo

Honestly, most scenarios don't need that level of detail. A WorldA is fine most of the time - maybe QBAM if you need that detail.