Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faeelin

Banned
EDIT: Neither are we debating Rommel, that’s just on a downhill slide to banning/kicking if someone says the wrong thing here.

This is probably not the right place for it, but asking about Alternate Historywhy has scenarios where the steely eyed Germans build Atlantropa (without somehow destroying the Mediterranean), and then presents Speer as a good old moderate, is an interesting question.

Edit: shouldn't it be Rommelstadt, not Rommelville?

This is probably not the right place for it, but asking about Alternate Historywhy has scenarios where the steely eyed Germans build Atlantropa (without somehow destroying the Mediterranean), and then presents Speer as a good old moderate, is an interesting question.

Edit: shouldn't it be Rommelstadt, not Rommelville?
Rommelstadt is correct as far as I can tell.

I apologize, the Nazi settler colony in Africa has the proper German format, yes.
Okay, you’re just aiming to get a reaction out of me and others,
I’m not apologizing for Nazism or colonialism, never in my damned life, and shame on you for insinuating that.

I can’t imagine why someone would want to live in that city, but I’d imagine it’d be due to the aesthetic of it. Similar to why people like Wolfenstein and Boer TLs, stop, please, while we all are ahead.

Faeelin

Banned
I can’t imagine why someone would want to live in that city, but I’d imagine it’d be due to the aesthetic of it. Similar to why people like Wolfenstein and Boer TLs, stop, please, while we all are ahead.

Saying people like to live in cities with Nazi aethestics (or "Wolfenstein" aesthetics) and ignoring the slaves used to build those cities is perverse and ghastly. You can't separate the Third Reich's works from its propaganda or urban planning, just as you can't romanticize the "good generals" like Rommel whose actions prolonged the suffering of the peoples of the world by serving Adolf Hitler.

Saying people like to live in cities with Nazi aethestics (or "Wolfenstein" aesthetics) and ignoring the slaves used to build those cities is perverse and ghastly. You can't separate the Third Reich's works from its propaganda or urban planning, just as you can't romanticize the "good generals" like Rommel whose actions prolonged the suffering of the peoples of the world by serving Adolf Hitler.
It might just be me, but I don't think that @Ivoshafen is saying he would want to live there but rather that some people might like the aesthetics. As for the comment about how slaves built the cities, whilst the practice of slave labour is, of course, abhorrent I somehow doubt that the people living in those cities would either know about the slave labour and/or not view the slaves as human. On that note I would say this, by that argument a modern historian appreciating the aesthetics of the great cities of the ancient world is, as you put it, also "perverse and ghastly".

I mean by that logic the Washington Monument is perverse and ghastly, it was built by slaves.

Buildings are just rocks man.

I mean by that logic the Washington Monument is perverse and ghastly, it was built by slaves.

Buildings are just rocks man.
While I could certainly see an argument as to why the Washington Monument is perverse and ghastly, there is rather a difference between 18th century chattel slavery and 20th century industrial genocide.

It might just be me, but I don't think that @Ivoshafen is saying he would want to live there but rather that some people might like the aesthetics. As for the comment about how slaves built the cities, whilst the practice of slave labour is, of course, abhorrent I somehow doubt that the people living in those cities would either know about the slave labour and/or not view the slaves as human. On that note I would say this, by that argument a modern historian appreciating the aesthetics of the great cities of the ancient world is, as you put it, also "perverse and ghastly".

My friend here did a much better job at explaining my point than I did.

Thank you, Annwn

My friend here did a much better job at explaining my point than I did.

Thank you, Annwn
No problem.
I think the best you can say is that the person thinks living in a city named after a member of Hitler's military who fought the Allies would be cool.
People like Rommel for all sorts of reasons, and that doesn't make them Nazis or Nazi sympathiser. I don't see what the argument is here...

Faeelin

Banned
What reasons are there to like Rommel? Serious question. He was a good dad I guess? He was an ok general, except for the fact he lost every campaign after France?

What reasons are there to like Rommel? Serious question. He was a good dad I guess? He was an ok general, except for the fact he lost every campaign after France?

He was a legendary tank commander, and the founder of many modern tank tactics. During the US-Iraq gulf war, US commanders actually had pictures of Rommel hung up in their tanks, which was mentioned by confused Iraqi tank commanders who were wondering why they had seemingly idolized a former enemy.

Faeelin

Banned
He was not a genocidal prick ?

Oddly, there are plenty of Germans who took part in the resistance to Hitler, among them the White Rose Society, but I never see people posting about how much they admire them.

But hey, teenage girls who say history will prove them right aren't as awesome.

Faeelin

Banned
He was a legendary tank commander, and the founder of many modern tank tactics. During the US-Iraq gulf war, US commanders actually had pictures of Rommel hung up in their tanks, which was mentioned by confused Iraqi tank commanders who were wondering why they had seemingly idolized a former enemy.

That's true, the Wermacht had pretty good propaganda considering they're the reason Prussia is now called Poland.

Edit: I am prepared to say people are wrong and foolish, but wanting to live in a city named after a Nazi tank commander is weird and I will die on this hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.