Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 360237
A side project of mine that I finished recently, set somewhere around 1920 to 1925.

The first main POD are small, though successful and possibly accidental French landings in Ireland and southern Wales in 1796. This leads to a more hostile Britain during the Vienna Congress demanding the creation of a demilitarized Brittany and a Gibraltar like territory on a peninsula close to Brest. This creates a lasting animosity between the two countries that leads to Britain intervening in French expansion (see annexation of only lower Savoy and Morocco) and colonial ambitions.

After the Belgian Revolution Belgium gets partitioned according to a more pro-Dutch version of the Talleyrand-Plan.

The second major POD is a fourth Balkan war fought between Austria-Hungary and Serbia (read Russia) over the annexation of Bosnia (later than OTL). Despite the Russians not having a clear advantage the Austrian Army collapses after Hungarian and Balkan Regiments mutiny and nationalist uprisings start popping up in cities behind the front lines. When the Austrian government eventually loses control of the situation and Austria proper starts being threaten by social unrest Italy, Germany and Montenegro start intervening to protect Italians, Germans and Montenegrins respectively. The anarchy and uncertainty over borders is cleared up during the Treaties of Florence, around 1916.

The main points of contention today are the legal status of Poland, the Burgenland question, British-French Gibraltar (haven't made up a better name yet, suggestions are welcome) and the various nationalists in the Balkans.

I'm mostly looking for feedback on the overall style and layout of the page but questions and suggestions about the TL are also very welcome!

I'd like to continue working with this scenario so tell me if you have any suggestions to make it more realistic.

As with my last map I have the the topographic map, the rivers and city location all on separate layers so if you're interested in using them as a base for your own project let me know and I'll upload them somewhere.
I'm also open to suggestions on what country or region to draw next. I probably won't make a complete atlas so I thought I'd make pages for the countries people are most interested in :)
Great map as always! My only criticism would be that Trient should find itself within Germany for more aesthetic borders (minus Walloonia)

I don't think a European war on the French border would be a good idea for either nation. There is a great podcast by Dan Carlin about the American-Spanish war in which he explains some of the reasoning behind the German attempts at intervention, mainly that the Americans weren't established as a great power yet and the Europeans severely underestimated the nations capability at sea. So an attempt at bullying the US out of the Philippines would be possible imo.
The Russo-Japanese war is still an embarrassment for the Tzar but he is able to regain his legitimacy after the Victory against Austria and essentially being the only power in the Balkans.
The Swedes and Norwegians managed to keep the Union going though the nation is moving in the direction of a federation between Norway, Sweden and maybe even the Sami if they behave.
Great map as always! My only criticism would be that Trient should find itself within Germany for more aesthetic borders (minus Walloonia)
I have considered giving Trient to Germany too but I think from a strategic standpoint it makes more sense for them to give that up in favor of Triest, which gives them a corridor to the Mediterranean Sea. The current border is also just as defensible if not more to than if the also held Trient. I mean a giant mountain range is a giant mountain range. The annexed Belgian parts and Limburg are also pretty rich and catholic enough to help the South Germans relax a bit about their Lutheran King.

I don't think a European war on the French border would be a good idea for either nation.

There is a great podcast by Dan Carlin about the American-Spanish war in which he explains some of the reasoning behind the German attempts at intervention, mainly that the Americans weren't established as a great power yet and the Europeans severely underestimated the nations capability at sea. So an attempt at bullying the US out of the Philippines would be possible imo.

The Russo-Japanese war is still an embarrassment for the Tzar but he is able to regain his legitimacy after the Victory against Austria and essentially being the only power in the Balkans.

The Swedes and Norwegians managed to keep the Union going though the nation is moving in the direction of a federation between Norway, Sweden and maybe even the Sami if they behave.

I have considered giving Trient to Germany too but I think from a strategic standpoint it makes more sense for them to give that up in favor of Triest, which gives them a corridor to the Mediterranean Sea. The current border is also just as defensible if not more to than if the also held Trient. I mean a giant mountain range is a giant mountain range. The annexed Belgian parts and Limburg are also pretty rich and catholic enough to help the South Germans relax a bit about their Lutheran King.

Tell that to OTL 1914 Europe. What would be key is for either side to get the Netherlands to let them in.

I could see the Germans taking the Philippines, or fail, or have the Germans face very angry Filipino and get kick out, or have the Philippines become they own thing.

I can see that.

Hey y'all! I made a map about how the world borders would play out if the US let Europe sink into self destruction more in ww1, then come in and beat the exhausted CP's, I know the Brits pushed for peace before the US gained too much influence, but trust me I paid alot of attention to detail, I'm usually unable to write out the entire lore or details of my maps, but if you see something you don't seem to get, even if it's as specific as a single island or small pacific archipelago, feel free to ask, I am certain that I can give you a good deal of background on how I came to make the borders the way they are! [Please note, the US in East Europe-Middle East means US occupied!] {Also note: The British and French have declined in power, making them on Parr with the Italians, meanwhile this Poland is on Parr with the Germans to prevent future invasions}
upload_2017-12-14_20-4-8.png

fashbasher

Banned
Welcome to the World of Calque
PEGTeq1.png

Calque is a world much like our own, but with fantasy elements. Political power and influence is held through ten Glowing Orbs, each of which accords certain powers to its holders.

Orb #1: The Entertainer. This Orb provides excellent creative talent to anyone who controls it. Said to be forged by the Muses themselves, it has become the centerpiece of countless Faustian bargains as Satan has duplicated it and many aspiring artists and musicians will gladly sell their soul to Him for a chance to hold it (even though it might well be a fake). Current location: Located in a vault in the California State Capitol, Sacramento, USA.

Orb #2: The Father of Capital. This Orb brings financial and monetary acumen to its controllers. The first known reference to it was during the days of King Midas, when it turned everything he touched to gold. The Orb migrated throughout Eurasia and Africa, and its past owners are a who's who of rich and influential financiers throughout history: Mansa Musa, Crassus, Mellon, Rothschild, Fugger, Medici. Current location: Broken down and sold to members of the global financial elite. The largest concentration of Orb #2 pieces is found in New York City.

Orb #3: The Politician. This Orb gives those who hold it with the gift of persuasion and political skill. It is said to have been the original Blarney stone, brought to continental Europe during the medieval Irish and Scottish missionary wave to the Germanic countries. Machiavelli is believed to have seen and possibly been inspired by it, and it in time was held by the King of France. The Marquis de la Fayette absconded with it during his time in the US, destroying the capacities of the French royal family to charm the people and sparking the French Revolution. Current location: K Street, Washington DC.

Orb #4: The Guildstone. Considered the original secret of the Masons, this artifact of unknown origins brings luck in business and industry to whoever owns it. It is first documented in the hands of medieval European guilds, before traveling first to England and then to Pawtucket, Rhode Island - sparking the American Revolution. The Guildstone's last private owner was Henry Ford, who sold it to the Nazis to pay down debt associated with the construction of Greenfield Village in Dearborn. After the war, the Guildstone became property of the City of London, although during the 60s and 70s it was loaned to Japan to help them rebuild from the nuclear bombings. Current location: Owned by a limited corporation managed by the City of London with stocks owned by industrialists around the world.

Orb #5: The Breaker of Nations. This Orb destroys xenophobia among any within 30.21 metres of it. Unusually, it has its origin in the Himalayas, where it is said to have been crafted by Rahula, the son of the Buddha and a minor North Indian prince. The Breaker of Nations passed through India's Buddhist community before being acquired by the Dutch East India Company and later seized by the Third Reich. Current location: Travels between Strasbourg, Brussels, and Berlin with a cadre of trusted German MEPs.

Orb #6: The Sun of Faith. This Orb grants its owners unique powers over the world's religious communities. Said to have been the only idol that survived Muhammad's purge of the Kaaba, the Sun of Faith is the explanation occultists give for the rapid rise of Islam. The Sun of Faith has been continuously held by Muslims for over 1,000 years and passed on to the Saudi royal family after the collapse of the Ottoman caliphate, although leaders from outside the Near East have touched it for strength. Current location: In Saudi Arabia, where it has become a major target for world leader photo ops.

Orb #7: The Unholy Blood. The Orb of war, weaponry, and geopolitical intrigue, it is the newest to be discovered, found in an Anasazi cliff dwelling during the Manhattan Project. The Unholy Blood is cited as the reason that the US was able to develop "the bomb" before anyone else, and was split among the five permanent members of the UN Security Council thereafter; France's was lost in a daring robbery believed to have been bankrolled by the Kremlin Current locations: Washington, Beijing, London, and Moscow (2x).

Orb #8: The Master of Trade. While the Guildstone benefits industrialists and the Father of Capital benefits bankers, the Master of Trade benefits traders and travelers. Its origin is unknown, but cryptic references have been found to it as far back as the Silk Road. Initially captured by British privateers, the Master of Trade was disguised as a common globe in the East India Company's headquarters. The Orb was transferred to Hong Kong after the end of the Second World War and was placed in joint British-Chinese trust at the handover. Current location: A bank vault in Hong Kong.

Orb #9: The Harvester. This Orb is the patron of farming, cuisine, health, and natural resources. The Orb dates back to Greco-Roman times and inspired Italian chefs to develop pizza and pasta as well as the Mediterranean diet. The Harvester was taken from Italy after Mussolini's fall and held in an international trust. After the Great Leap Forward failed, Mao Zedong was able to convince Nixon to lend it to end hunger and poverty in China; it has been used to store and generate agricultural and mining knowledge among Chinese trade partners in Southeast Asia and Africa. Current location: The Forbidden City.

Orb #10: The Creator of Discord. This notorious and controversial Orb acts as a nerfed version of Pandora's box, creating modest instability - recessions, political tensions, and small-scale violence - wherever it sits. The Creator of Discord is believed to originate in the steppes of Eurasia, where it was deployed by the Hun, Magyar, and Mongol armies to weaken the resolve of their rivals. Orb #10 was then smuggled into Wittenberg, where it created a wave of energy that sparked the Protestant Reformation, and then to Spain, where it caused the War of Spanish Succession (unlike the others, it has negative side effects that include madness and deformity as well as a sense of being drunk on power). In 1703, a secret Spanish mission aimed to dump Orb #10 in the marshes of Florida; its rediscovery by a boy in what is now Winter Park sparked the 1920s land boom, the 1960s Cuban Missile Crisis, and JFK's assassination. Just months after Kennedy died, entertainer Walt Disney vowed to destroy it by acquiring a massive assemblage in Central Florida and burying it deep in the Walt Disney World theme park city; unfortunately, he died before the containment chamber could be completed and a forged will left it to the Florida Republican Party. The Creator of Discord sat in the homes of prominent Florida conservatives through the 2000 election and 2008 housing bubble and was widely visited by right-leaning politicians; it was donated in September 2013 to acquitted killer George Zimmerman, who promptly went mad. Current location: Unknown. Zimmerman pawned it in Palm Beach County in 2016. oh crap

Yes, this is full of references to my other scenarios. I'd have posted in ASB if it wasn't so political - especially #10. And yes, the color scheme is intended to evoke Florida/Miami aesthetics...because the scariest Orb of them all is loose somewhere in Florida.

Last edited:
the_continuous_45___the_eagle_and_the_lion_by_dsfisher-dbwqq0k.png

Just a simple WIP for a map I'm working on for my timeline: The Eagle and the Lion. When it's done It will additionally contain the continental states as well as overseas Territories. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty much agree with you regarding the strategic values, just saying that for aesthetic purposes it's better for Trient to go along with Istria if it goes to Germany.

_medam__the_dineh_confederacy_of_new_mexico_by_gottfreyundroy-dbwr2sr.png

The Dineh Confederacy
  • System of Government: Hydraulic Empire
    • Head of State:
      • President, chosen by Deathrace
  • Population: 950,000
  • Religion: New Age
    • Totemic Symbol: Zia Sun

"Hear ye, all persons! Ye people as many as ye are! I have done this according to the design of my heart. ... I have restored that which was in ruins, I have raised up that which was unfinished since the Buddhists were in the midst of the Northland [Deseret], and the cowboys were in the midst of them, overthrowing that which was made, while they ruled in ignorance of the Aquarian Way. When I was firm upon the throne of Aquarius, I was ennobled until the two periods of years...I came as Alamagordo flaming against my enemies. My command stands firm like mountains, and the sun's disk shines and spreads rays overy the titulary of my august person, and my eagle rises high above the presidential banner unto all eternity."

-Final State of the Union inscription of President Bill Cisneros, 11th Dynasty

New Mexico is a land at a crossroads. The three rivers, the four corners, and nigh-on a hundred tribes. The modern history of the region began just as the regression did. As air conditioners became less and less viable, more and more people moved out of the "Sun-Belt" for more amicable climes. Besides those few normal Anglos that hunkered down and remained, three groups were left behind: the Hispanics (whose migration slowed as the economy of the US did), the Natives (who had been in these lands since time immemorial and weren't going to move now), and, strangest of all, the New Agers.

Meanwhile, the Southwest was a bloody war-zone. As the US folded, a variety of warlords attempted to re-establish government in their local area, while the Native Tribes rose up to re-claim their homelands. There were no real rules nor permanent alliances, just a Machievallian "every-man-for-himself" type deal.

By far, the most powerful of the fiefs was the Navajo Nation, which had steadily expanded and absorbed other tribes as the Regression went on. But without a foothold on any of the three major rivers (the Gila, the Colorado, or the Rio Grande) or access to a major copper deposit (essential in making the bronze weapons that dominated the region). They nearly overran New Mexico, before being overthrown by their former ally, the half-Navajo mayor of Two Sun. He conquered Dinetah and New Mexico, and declared himself leader of the Dineh Confederation.

From there, the nation has gone through many ups and downs, with as many as ten dynasties. The most recent of these ended with the disastrous reign of the so-called "Gray President" (whose name has been struck from all records). He plunged the nation into civil war between his rival heirs in Santa Fe, Phoenix, and El Paso over who would sit on the throne in splendid Alburquerque. Lifers armed with bronze weapons ravaged the kingdom, causing the valuable rivers to run with blood. Worst of all, there was no President to perform the sacred rites to keep the Other at bay.

Colonel Bill Cisneros, the ruler of Phoenix, finally broke the stalemate a half-century ago. Already controlling the bulk of the kingdom's copper mines, thus forcing the other two claimants to increasingly rely on Cowboy mercenaries, Bill launched a daring raid that seized the Cibola Salt Mine, completely disrupting his rivals' economy. After a few short battles he was able to enter Alburquerque and crown himself President, claiming a line of descent back to pre-Regression Navajo rulers. He made the trip to Sacred Roswell, where the Other once touched the World of Man, and made the sacred rituals to keep the Greys placated.
His final act before being buried in his pyramid was to resolve the succession issues that having multiple wives provided - upon his internment, his sons would race from Alburquerque to Roswell. The prince who arrived there first and completed the sacred rites would be hailed as President. The losers would be strangulated. And thus far, it has worked.

upload_2017-12-15_10-1-30.png

Administrative divisions of Slovakia proposed by Jóbbik-Movement for a Better Felvidék in my ASB scenario https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/a-slovakia-without-slovaks.432181/#post-16171280
Hungarian majority areas, west to east.
Lines separate districts from each other, same colour districts = regions. Black circle: capital of region, circles= district centers
  1. Pozsony (bordering Austria)
  2. Dunaszerdahely
  3. Komárom (yellow green near the border))
  4. Érsekújvár
  5. Rimászombat
  6. Kassa
  7. Királyhelmec (bordering Ukraine)
Non Hungarian-majority areas:
  1. Czech Autonomous Region (Žilina, bordering Czech Republic)
  2. Central Slovakia (Banská Bystrica- mixed Czech-Roma) red-brown
  3. Spiš Roma Autonomous Region (Poprad), bordering Poland
  4. Šariš-Zemplín Roma Autonomous Region (Prešov), grey
  5. Rusyn Autonomous Region (Humenné) blue-purple

All very excellent, but why are some parts of Australia "tribal lands" and others not? It's not like the Aborigines in the west were more primitive than those in the east or something.

(Speaking of aboriginal peoples, a single color for tribal peoples probably clarifies things a little if you aren't going to specifically identify them. Just IMHO).

If you check the key, cream is also tribal lands, just less advanced or important

Gian

Banned
I've been showing to people a preview of my next project in the WIP Map Thread, and now here's a small preview:

Ju7IVWt.png

Wann'a guess what it is about?

Hahahaha, I sure love filling in the Empire x'D (seriously tho, I do love it). Only WIP I'll put here, but I just really am enjoying working on a proper map again.

MqnG6Rx.png

If you check the key, cream is also tribal lands, just less advanced or important

Less important and less advanced in what ways? Now, Tasmanians definitely _were_ less advanced in having a less developed toolkit than mainland tribes, probably due to relatively small population capable of easily exchanging ideas/limitations of island living, but I've no info on how the mainlanders can be classed into less or more developed hunter gatherers. I'm seriously curious: is there a source you are drawing on here?

Less important and less advanced in what ways? Now, Tasmanians definitely _were_ less advanced in having a less developed toolkit than mainland tribes, probably due to relatively small population capable of easily exchanging ideas/limitations of island living, but I've no info on how the mainlanders can be classed into less or more developed hunter gatherers. I'm seriously curious: is there a source you are drawing on here?
Well, West Australia historically has been more desolate than the east, and Queensland today is certainly less developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.