Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice try, western spy, but destiny of Russia is to restore Soviet Union and expand to other planets.

ytGFe2a.jpg

I do find it a bit ironic that the first step in expanding the Soviet Union in this artist's eyes would be to build cathedrals everywhere.

Skallagrim

Banned
Coolness, but a key would make it even better.

Maybe when I finish the complete world-map? Merely listing the names of countries would hardly help. How would I describe the rationalist regime of Tenzia? The seven cities of Azania and their domains? The oceanic empire of Nanguo, or that dwelling of proud exiles, Uperonotamia?

And this map doesn't even show us the vast extent of the dread Tetsawayouna!

Deleted member 97083

And here, finally, is that map I mentioned:
This is absolutely amazing map and concept. I will admit though, based on the mentions you gave to your planned timeline before, I didn't know the empire would be quite that large. They've had these borders for 200 years, since before railroads?

Skallagrim

Banned
This is absolutely amazing map and concept. I will admit though, based on the mentions you gave to your planned timeline before, I didn't know the empire would be quite that large. They've had these borders for 200 years, since before railroads?

Yes, but everything beyond the Indos was actually sort of independent. Ruled by a cadet branch, only formally being subservient to the Vanaksis, and totally doing its own thing in practice. The crown prince of the Oikomenem was traditionally fostered by this cadet branch during his youth. Then the cadet branch died out, and since then, the crown prince is actually the governor of Vharata (India; cognate of 'Bharat') in his own right.

This has caused quite a lot of friction, actually...

I do find it a bit ironic that the first step in expanding the Soviet Union in this artist's eyes would be to build cathedrals everywhere.
The onion domes are there to ward off space vampires. A bit of bad planning, considering how they need garlic for that. Not a good place to live. Bad enough that it is always full moon for the werewolves.

Creating a Denmark wank map, what would they take of Northern Germany? Hamburg-Lauenburg-Lübeck line? Or should it include Mecklenburg, Wilhelmshaven, and Bremen?

Last edited:
So what do the stripes and outlines mean?

Outlines mean officially it's at the outline level, but the base color is what's going on; stripes mean varying shades of both colors occur concurrently

I should note that's my own interpretation, Iori's might be different, I'm not sure!

Examples:

The Republic of Canada (OTL Quebec) is officially has a multi-party system, but for over a decade one sole party has had consistent majorities and supermajorities, making it really a Dominant Party state at the de facto level.

The United States of America is facing both a Civil Insurgency, and a Tranisitional government as the federal government prepares for a new Constitution Convention, while still operating under was is de jure a two party system (outline).

Outlines mean officially it's at the outline level, but the base color is what's going on; stripes mean varying shades of both colors occur concurrently

I should note that's my own interpretation, Iori's might be different, I'm not sure!

Examples:

The Republic of Canada (OTL Quebec) is officially has a multi-party system, but for over a decade one sole party has had consistent majorities and supermajorities, making it really a Dominant Party state at the de facto level.

The United States of America is facing both a Civil Insurgency, and a Tranisitional government as the federal government prepares for a new Constitution Convention, while still operating under was is de jure a two party system (outline).

I feel like an official/practice distinction is sort of pointless when talking about party systems, because almost no democracy works like that. They're all multi-party officially, it's just a matter of how many of the parties are capable of reaching government.

I feel like an official/practice distinction is sort of pointless when talking about party systems, because almost no democracy works like that. They're all multi-party officially, it's just a matter of how many of the parties are capable of reaching government.

True, but there are cases like Canada where in the past voters did not concentrate so heavily on one party, and where currently about 30-40 percent still vote for an opposition, but where the ruling party has managed to win out for 3 decades straight regardless. It's not an official dominant party state because there isn't a sham system that enforces it, but it's definitely one in practice.

It's not an official dominant party state because there isn't a sham system that enforces it,

That's not what a dominant-party system is, a dominant-party system is when the country is completely democratic but one party keeps winning anyway.

Alsea

Banned
True, but there are cases like Canada where in the past voters did not concentrate so heavily on one party, and where currently about 30-40 percent still vote for an opposition, but where the ruling party has managed to win out for 3 decades straight regardless. It's not an official dominant party state because there isn't a sham system that enforces it, but it's definitely one in practice.

I think you're confusing a one-party state with a dominant party system.

Status
Not open for further replies.