Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snippet preview of a project I won't finish

FyZDcTF.png

Snippet preview of a project I won't finish

FyZDcTF.png
Britain and its ally Portugal face off against Communism and Japan? Bring it on!

Irrelevant but might I suggest green or purple instead of blue for the railways simply because of confusion when the follow the coastlines.

fashbasher

Banned
Context here and here
RTYzpUd.png

One of the biggest logistical challenges faced prior to Operation Futurama was the Tetrapolis problem. Many West Indian citizens had family and friends living in New York City, London, Toronto, and the Dutch Randstad, and those regions were internationally recognized for their affluence, diversity, and technical savvy around the world, so it was not surprising that there were calls for the Tetrapolis or their residents to be transported. The arguments for the photocopying were based on the high human capital and ethnic diversity of those four metropolises, with a mixture of European, MENA, African from Africa, Afro-Caribbean, Asian from Asia, and Asian-Caribbean population in each, as well as important educational, economic, and cultural institutions and many citizens of the West Indies region who had lived there. The arguments against were based on the cost of duplicating remote areas as well as the humanitarian pitfalls of duplicating isolated cities or city-regions that are hundreds of kilometers from the nearest human presence and of course good old xenophobia (do we really want that many Italian-Americans and British chavs in our cities?). In the end two nonbinding referenda were held among the Caribbean and Tetrapolis populations; the first, calling for the complete duplication, failed strongly, while the second saw 62% of eligible voters in the Caribbean and 71% in the Tetrapolis support freedom of migration between the Caribbean and the Tetrapolis in the months leading up to Futurama Day. In the end, approximately 5-15 million tourists, expats, and guest workers from the Tetrapolis were present in the West Indies at the time of duplication, accounting for almost 1/8th of the Caribbean's population and close to 1/3 of the Asian presence (because of the massive Indo-Caribbean populations in all four member cities, a trickle of Chinese Caribbeans, and some non-Caribbean Asians who saw a chance to achieve a Vacation to Remember (TM)).

Original post in the series here: Map Thread XVII

TERRITORIAL EVOLUTION OF CHINA

China Territorial Evolution.png

This is from the same timeline as the briefly Longite America that descends into absolute chaos, until finally being put out of its misery and democratically dissolved by an uber-powerful China in 2046. (Though some of the numbers are a bit sketchy, what with 102% of Tennessee voting to join the Union of the East Coast....)

Here is that China! Or, rather, its history.

TTL's WWII was the Franco-Japanese-British Alliance against the Italian-Russian-Chinese Axis. Unfortunately the Russians and Chinese hated each other. Fortunately, the USA joined the war in the Pacific, helping beat back the Japanese and British, seeing as the French had fallen to civil war by the time of the USA's entrance into the war. China managed to beat back the Japanese, and with the Russians and Americans concentrated almost completely on the Pacific front, the war ended a year earlier, in 1944, without a single nuke dropped. Lin Sen, the stately leader of China during WWII, promptly died of a heart attack upon hearing of the sudden British surrender and the end of the war. Chiang Kai-Shek took the reigns, and by 1956 had completed his "Restoration" of China's borders. However, this Restoration was not enough for Kai-Shek, and he declared war on the USSR in 1962. The USSR promptly nuked Harbin, the first nuclear weapon ever used, and the one of only fourteen owned by the USSR at the time. The Chinese managed to maintain their borders and even push into Siberia and Central Asia as the war progressed into a slow slog of attrition from either side. Then, Germany joined the war. After a short yet brutal German advance along the Western front, involving nuclear weapons on both sides, mostly used against invading armies rather than cities, the Germans had enough. In 1964, they nuked Moscow.

The USSR surrendered, and communism was dismantled in Russia by a victorious Chiang Kai-Shek; the Russian Republic was established, alongside Tannu Tuva, Mongolia, the Republic of Siberia, and several Central Asian countries. Germany and China each gained substantial territory as well, but, while Fuhrer Wilhelm Keitel received a massive rise in approval, the horrific nuking of several Chinese border cities while China owned no nukes caused the opposite for Chiang Kai-Shek and his warhawk Kuomintang party. In the following year's election, Kai-Shek would regret re-establishing fair elections, as the opposition party, the Minkuotang, won by a 2% margin. It, a more liberal party, would precariously remain in power until 1980, when the resurgent Kuomintang, led by Kai-Shek's son, Wei-Kuo, gained power over nationalist revanchanism and an economic recession.

In 1984, Tibet, guided by religious conviction, harsh treatment of their culture by the Chinese, and Indian funding, seceded. China quickly began occupation, but were stopped from fully reabsorbing it by a League of Nations mandate threatening joint invasion by all major powers. Tibet was let free, but it was a serious blow to the Kuomintang and Chinese national pride. It was just that kind of a blow that Teng Xiao-Bo was waiting for. He, a hardcore nationalist and believer in a modified form of the French System (a near-fascist form of democracy, also known as Petainism) that focused more on China's imperial history. His party, the Zixiantang, known in English as the Constitution Party, lost the Presidential Election of 2002 due to its radical platform, but won a solid majority of the legislative seats. A coup was in order. In 2003, Ten Xiao-Bo, leading opposition leader to Chiang Wei-Kuo, took power with the military's support.

The Constitutional Republic of China was even more vehemently nationalist than its predecessor, and its democracy had been replaced with the authoritarian Petainism, only under a distinctly Chinese flavor. The resultant ideology, commonly referred to as Tenganism or Tengarianism, was really neo-Legalist. The laws were strict and numerous, with harsh penalties for breaking them. Depending on the item stolen, even thievery could end in death by firing squad. Teng's logic was that China had an ever-increasing surplus population, so why not deal with it with widespread capital punishment? Teng's Green Terror (named for the predominant color of the new flag) killed around 20 million people. The neo-Legalism also extended to a large bureaucracy, insanely rigorous and difficult exams to get a job in said bureaucracy-- and some STEM jobs-- and a very powerful President, though that part was more de facto than de jure. It also found historical nationalism very important, for example instituting a pro-foot binding propaganda campaign, though not ever outright requiring it by law; instead, they extolled its beautification benefits and gave economic incentive in the form of luxury goods credit. Expansion was carried out in 2004, by annexing Tanu Tuva, but the borders stayed stable from then on.

It was this China that, in 2046, would take its place as the supreme world superpower by dissolving its only remaining potential competition, the United States. Teng's political dynasty, under the Zixiantang, would last 112 years, from its beginning in the 2003 coup to its peaceful end in 2115.

As always, comments, questions, and critiques are more than welcome!

Last edited:
Woohoo! Yan Xishan FTW!

Really like the series. Will we be seeing a part on India in this world?
I was planning on maybe showing a territorial evolution map of Germany next, but then I think a feature of India is in order. Maybe with Britain and remaining colonies as an inset....

SYo1s0J.png

This is a map of Persia and all its constituting "states" in a scenario I'm making. It comes about due to a lack of Iskander - and later a lack of Rome - leading to the adoption of a Mandate of Heaven-esque ideology when the Achaemenid dynasty eventually falls. Its largely based off a map of Achaemenid satrapies I found, but rather obviously expanded and altered slightly to break up up the larger ones and merge some of the smaller ones.

I wanted to use better, more realistic, more Persianised names for the 'states' but I was tired when I made this so eh. I might remake it in the future if I ever work up the energy.

Interesting.

The USSR surrendered, and communism was dismantled in Russia by a victorious Chiang Kai-Shek;

Not Germany? They're the ones who won the war and are a lot closer to the Russian heartland than China.

Do you have a link to that previous TL/map series? (Thanks in advance if you do! :biggrin: )

This is a map of Persia and all its constituting "states" in a scenario I'm making. It comes about due to a lack of Iskander - and later a lack of Rome - leading to the adoption of a Mandate of Heaven-esque ideology when the Achaemenid dynasty eventually falls. Its largely based off a map of Achaemenid satrapies I found, but rather obviously expanded and altered slightly to break up up the larger ones and merge some of the smaller ones.

Could stand to be a bit bigger. :)

Something I've been working on in fits and starts. Still have to get to the Americas: trying to figure out how to make all that North America that the Aztecs either don't control or only vaguely overlord in interesting.

SampleGates.png

Status
Not open for further replies.