Map Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Beach

Banned
This map was going to have a much nicer write-up, one that went into great detail about all the various nations and whatnot, and maybe it still will in future. But because Deviantart is arse it deleted the thousand words I had already written and frankly I'm not given to rewriting all that. So here's an abbreviated history.

The POD is twofold; the American rebels win the Battle of Quebec, and the British crush the Dutch in the Fourth Anglo-Dutch War, largely as a reaction to the former. And so, save Hudson and Newfoundland, Britain loses all of their North American territories but gains the Dutch East Indies, which will go on to become known as the Nusantrian Raj. In the ensuing negotiations that found the Commonwealth of Columbia, the added voices of Quebec and Vermont see regionalist sentiment win out over a strong federal government, and state rights are given priority. This is important as it means that coordinating a united response to a given threat or imposition becomes ever more difficult, and this means that when Columbian settlers go West it is difficult to levy any kind of loyalty from them, not helped by thinkers and military leaders (including one young Andrew Jackson) that seek to supplant Spanish and later Mexican authority with their own in what was then northern Mexico(Including Louisiana, which as OTL was transferred to the Spanish Crown).
France still sees a revolution, but it remains a radical republic given to purges and authoritarianism, and are best remembered for defeating the combined forces of Austria and Prussia and thusly dismembering the HRE. But as OTL, they are defeated by a combined coalition spearheaded by Britain. Erstwhile, the combined forces of Columbian settlers, disenfranchised Criollo and dissatisfied French Louisianans overthrow Spanish rule in Louisiana and Tejas (which will, in turn, cause a collapse of Spanish authority in the Americas and Mexico itself) and found the unitary Republic of Tejas, envisaged as the 'proper Columbia'. It is brought into direct conflict with that state, however, over the Mississippi and specifically it's Delta. This paves the way for a bizarre compromise whereby the exiled Bourbons set up shop in New Orleans, where they will remain until the present day.

History happens, colonialism becomes widespread but not as effective as OTL, and there is no precedent like Britain's Indian Raj (both due to less military success and less focus, given they control the East Indies) to spur the other world powers and so much of this world's colonialism is stunted, indirect or left to corporate bodies. It also means colonialism is much slower to die, helped by the fact that there is no singular, all-powerful and most importantly anti-colonial USA to pressure the various colonising states, and in fact Columbia and Tejas both get in on the action come the 1870s. There is also the rise in 'Industrialism', a philosophy much like syndicalism which becomes popular in many industrial states (importantly, it is ideologically tied to industrialisation and so cannot be retrofitted for an agrarian society a la Mao).
After a Great War between Austria and France over the future of northern Italy, France falls to said philosophy. They will later be joined by Brazil who will in turn engulf most of South America with it, it's workers fed up with the industrial oligarchs that had dominated up until that point. When the French Industrial Republic defeats a combined offensive of Britain, Austria, the Netherlands and Prussia much of Europe lurches to the far right. Britain's institutions are too strong for this, but not too strong to see a disintegration in public order and the establishment of an English Republic, with Scotland and Ireland going their own ways. The Hanoverians (no Victoria here) flee abroad and find themselves varyingly in Newfoundland and Nusantria where they establish separate monarchies in exile.
The Russian Empire lasts longer than OTL due to not getting into so many silly destabilising conflicts, but still collapse in the 1920s to an agrarian-backed fascist coup when one particularly daft Tsar restricts the travel rights of the peasantry which in turn sees the Romanovs flee to their scattered Pacific colonies (I'm sure you can see a pattern here). This state of affairs lasts until the mid 1950s, when Austria comes across some interesting scientific data and, in tandem with Spanish, Prussian, Italian and Russian forces, nuke Paris and Marseille and invade France. In the meantime, a similar state of affairs unfolds in North America, sans nukes, when Columbia, Tejas and Bering come down on a newly minted Californian Industrial Republic. And so the world settles into it's current state of affairs.

It faces many of the problems of OTL as of 2017; automation is coming to breach the public conscience, the UIPSA much as OTL China is threatening the dominance of both the Fascist and Democratic blocs, China is split between a radical Catholic regime in the south and a slightly more moderate Genxin Dynasty in the north, the threat of nuclear annihilation is seeing real dialogue develop between the Fascists and Democrats, climate change is threatening the delicately managed agricultural processes of the Fascists and Industrialists, the rise of the Indian subcontinent as a real world contender, and the internet is making the world more aware of one another in all their varying levels of complexity. But there are issues unlike OTL; the continuing revolutionary war in southern Africa, the impending referendum in Hudson to see whether they will leave Newfoundland and join Columbia, the continual occupation of France and liquidation of their culture, and the continued colonialism that takes place across much of the developed world.

The title comes from a description of Richard Montgomery, the commanding American General that was killed at the Battle of Quebec, following his death. There is a belief that had he lived the Americans could maybe have won the Battle. Whether there's any truth to that I am unsure, but it seems appropriate given how colourful this world is, especially ideologically.

The Long March To Halifax.png

I didn't really mean it as a "shot at Mormons." "Weird" probably wasn't the right word to use, in hindsight, but I wasn't thinking about what I was typing at that point and more wanted to get the write-up done.

Weird might actually be the right word to use. Sometimes, we even call ourselves a peculiar people because of our differences from other Christian denominations.

Hmm...I wonder...
WW2 without the Soviets? But then how did the KMT get Xinjiang and Mongolia (also why isn't outer mongolia a province)? And if Germany's balkanized, where's my French Rhineland and glorious intermarium?:mad:XD

*strokes beard*

You have intrigued me. Continue.

The background I have for this is basically that the Soviets end up backing out of an alternate Yalta Conference due to Stalin dying prematurely and causing a power struggle within the Politburo. The Chinese are also more organised against the Japanese with more Allied support. Tokyo is also less successful in their invasions into SE Asia and Churchill manages to give enough fucks to keep most of Malaya and other Pacific-centred Dominions loyal to London. Also the Spanish Civil War ends in a clusterfuck and is kinda like an earlier Yugoslav collapse. But this is by no means a final draft so it may all change in the meantime. Italy may or may not have stayed out of WWII as well and might be looking Eastward to join the big bad club of rogue states and third way dictatorships.

Expect Seth Efrica, Franco-run Spanish Africa and Rhodiestan to pop up as per usual. :p

Oh! The Hal'alib Triangle (not bothering to look it up on my phone) is TTLs Western Sahara btw.

Ok, time for me to go to bed now. I officially hate University and I want to die (not really). Hopefully this little reply cures my writers block... n-n

fashbasher

Banned
7VFHioB.png

POD: under Chola rule, the Andamanese tribes become literate and adopt a Dravidian language. In time, they become a Hindu equivalent of the Maldives, a relatively prosperous island chain with a state religion and a thriving tourist sector. As I do not speak Tamil, any crimes against that language can be handwaved away as reflecting interference from the Andamanese languages (Onge, Jarawa, Great Andamanese, etc).

Whenever i see the "crocodile jaws" shape of Prussia/Germany i imagine Prussia/Germany taking a bite out of Eastern Europe.

Anyone know the actual name of that shape? "crocodile jaws" does not roll off the tongue.
I call it the "fish tail" but I don't think that's right either...

I call it the "fish tail" but I don't think that's right either...
Giving Brandenburg East Prussia was a mistake that screwed up the map of Europe's aesthetics for centuries. Post-Partition Prussia, Post-Vienna Prussia and the German Empire were the closest to making it work, but really, Germany should have ended at the eastern frontiers of Pomerania and Silesia.

Wow that's probably the first Andaman islands only AH map ever uploaded. Awesome work! I don't speak Tamil either but you got the sanskritization on point.

The background I have for this is basically that the Soviets end up backing out of an alternate Yalta Conference due to Stalin dying prematurely and causing a power struggle within the Politburo. The Chinese are also more organised against the Japanese with more Allied support. Tokyo is also less successful in their invasions into SE Asia and Churchill manages to give enough fucks to keep most of Malaya and other Pacific-centred Dominions loyal to London. Also the Spanish Civil War ends in a clusterfuck and is kinda like an earlier Yugoslav collapse. But this is by no means a final draft so it may all change in the meantime. Italy may or may not have stayed out of WWII as well and might be looking Eastward to join the big bad club of rogue states and third way dictatorships.

Expect Seth Efrica, Franco-run Spanish Africa and Rhodiestan to pop up as per usual. :p

Oh! The Hal'alib Triangle (not bothering to look it up on my phone) is TTLs Western Sahara btw.

Ok, time for me to go to bed now. I officially hate University and I want to die (not really). Hopefully this little reply cures my writers block... n-n

Premature death of Stalin or not, i doubt that Romania and Poland will receive the pre-war border or the Baltic retain their independence, anyone in charge in Moscow will desire something out of this mess and the pre-war I border will be bare minimum.
Neutral Italy will also try to get out something from this mess, like concession from the entente (Azouzu strip, border rectification in Djibouti and other little perks not visible in a map) and expanding her influence in divided Spain and Jugoslavia...expecially if later become divided as the map seem to imply (plus she will try to get back Austria in her sphere of influence)

though Massachusetts held its control of northern OTL Maine, which was largely purchased from Britain in the same reform movement.

By the 20th century, Britain is going to have trouble with the Canadians if they try to sell some of their land out from under them. :) It's not like they're a colony in Africa or something.

An excellent piece of work.

his map was going to have a much nicer write-up, one that went into great detail about all the various nations and whatnot, and maybe it still will in future. But because Deviantart is arse it deleted the thousand words I had already written and frankly I'm not given to rewriting all that.

Sorry to hear that: hope we get the more detailed version someday! I always do my writeups in Word first so I'll have a backup if something goes wrong when I post 'em.

It also means colonialism is much slower to die, helped by the fact that there is no singular, all-powerful and most importantly anti-colonial USA to pressure the various colonising states,

Hmm. Go USA and all that, but don't you think the USSR's much louder denunciation of colonialism, plus backing of revolutionary movements all over, was more important? The post-colonial third world didn't exactly flock to the US banner, after all.

By the 20th century, Britain is going to have trouble with the Canadians if they try to sell some of their land out from under them. :) It's not like they're a colony in Africa or something.

Britain at the moment was going through... a lot. Like, a lot a lot. They were reeeaaally strapped for cash, and they and the Canadians had much more to worry about than that land, and New England payed an exorbitant amount per acre. I'm making a sequel to the map (after the Bicontinental War) that will explain the extent of Britain's problems at the time. It can mostly be summed up in two words, though: India butterflies.

A little dieselpunky thing I've made in a surprisingly short amount of time. It will be the first map of a three-parter, based off of invasion literature and paleofutures, with a bit of H. G. Wells.

Airsheep.png

In 1807, Napoleon decides to not invade Spain. He also doesn't enter in a war with the Russians, and gets more support from the Americans. The French empire is victorious, but it experiences some hobbles in later decade.

Said hobbles include the reforms and rise of the Russian empire (still quite restrictive however), the loss of their american allies, and most worrying of all, the formation of the German Empire and loss of much of their territory. The French in the later parts of the century buried the hatchet with the British empire, as the Russians, Germans, and Ottomans (Quite decayed by this point) formed their own bloc.

By the year 1916, the relation between the two alliances hasn't gotten any better. The Entente is the more dominant of the two (But not dominant enough!), possessing large colonies across the world. Britain has a vast navy (including a submarine fleet) and a large population. France is a relatively less racist place than most other countries, and has a large army. The border with Germany is the most militarised in the world, bristling with artillery, crisscrossed with trenches, and filled with huge fixed guns and gas rocket silos.

Germany is quite industrialised, has military bases in South America, and loves its airships. The latest Kaiser has been dubbed a new Napoleon, one who seeks to greatly expand german possessions. The Ottomans are still the sick man of Europe, and mostly supply oil to the league. Russia is quite a larger beast than in our world, and is licking its wounds from the Great Eastern war (1895; imagine a russo-japanese war on steroids). The Tsar plans to make up for it somewhere else.

Ruling the east is the the East Asian Union. The Taiping rebellion was butterflied away, but a larger one eventually broke out. The Qing dynasty was kicked back to Manchuria, and the rest was divided between Russia and a native dynasty. This dynasty didn't have squabbles with modernisation and western technology, and it switched to a more constitutional form of monarchy. A military alliance was formed with the Empire of Japan (opened up by the British) and Siam, one dedicated to keeping the west out of the east. Their bogeyman reputation has only gotten worst after the Great Eastern war, where the rump Qing fell and Korea's independence was secured. Some military leaders hope their success can be repeated elsewhere.

Meanwhile, the Americas are under the grip of the USA. The sleeping giant is content with its empire in the new world, and doesn't want to deal with the squabbles of Europe (it does lean towards Britain and France, Germany opposes them in South America). After all, there are minorities to oppress, banana republics to invest in, and Bos-Wash to build!

Technology in this world is quite ahead, by about twenty years. Napoleonic France invested much in the sciences, and a more advanced China helped that too. Biplanes are increasingly rare, automobiles are ubiquitous, and radio connects the entire world. Geoengineering has been used successfully in Qattara to produce electricity, it remains to be seen if it will green the Sahara. Biotechnology is even more ahead, and new varieties of living things are created at a faster rate. Eugenics is still in style, and experts in Germany, Britain and America are trying to make a better breed of man.

One thing that has greatly benefited from new inventions is the military. Now heavy tanks and artillery rain fire on the enemy, submarines prowl the season with sonar, and hybrid airships transport men, supplies, and even airfleets. New diseases and chemicals have been devised, plagues can now be placed in hollow bullets, halomethanes are being tested for use against vehicles, and some folks have even devised a plague to kill only east Asians (highly experimental, and what could possibly go wrong). Automation has been increasing, and radio-controlled bombs and rockets (including long range) are in use. If a great war occurs, it won't end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.