Map Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! End-of-page syndrome is no more!
--

So I was reading historian and Iranophile extraordinaire Michael Axworthy's book, "Revolutionary Iran" (or at least 50 pages in, until I realized I had forgotten to return it for a full month and was promptly fined approx. 80 HKD:frown:), and began thinking up a scenario centered on a Iran where the Constitutional Revolution (1906-11) was far more successful. But, that idea slowly went off course and swiftly became something completely different that includes a teeny tiny bit of pixel art. It's also somewhat linked to my Medvedev's Folly map.
--​

The Unexpected Superpower
n7jF4qU.png

When looking at history from a grand historical perspective, one starts to see patterns, with empires and civilizations rising and falling seemingly periodically in an almost karmaic fashion. Of all the millennia of human history, the second is perhaps the one most representative of this pattern with her world hegemons dominating the globe one after the other. It was a time before the dawn of the global states, and after the days when technology was so backwards that hegemons were unable to project power worldwide.

The 21st Millennium first saw familiar names, powers very much expected to rise to prominence—the United States; the Chinese Republic, the Indian Union, the Nigerian Commune. But then came a power that was very much unexpected—Iran.

The Hegemons
Iran was an antagonist during America’s hegemony, especially during throughout the strongly pro-Arabian Trump presidency. She was a nation that suffered from economic sanctions and encirclement on virtually every side, which little beyond the ever-unassailable Iranian Plateau being truly safe. The Centrist-Right Rubio presidency did attempt to ease the situation and reassert American dominance in the Middle East, but the damage had been done, and the American empire imploded through a series of weak, inexperienced and petty presidents.

By the waning days of the 21st Century, the tables had turned. Iran saw the rise of China as well as the ever-dwindling strength of Saudi Arabia as a chance to finally shatter the encirclement of her nation. China throughout her hegemony was an economic power unrivaled that had but one Achilles heel: her military. The PLAN was strained to patrol the seas, with the ascendant Indians often taking the place of the PLAN as one passed the Straits of Malacca.

The planet’s oil reserves would finally run out in 2170. It was then that a new wave of unrest in the Middle East similar to that at the beginning of the previous century dawned upon the oil-dependent regions of the middle east—a time that while threatening Iran greatly, too allowed Iran the greatest chances for expansion. With the second collapse of Iraq, Iraq was now, no matter how hard you looked at, a failed state. With every single day, more Iraqis found themselves holding less and less faith in their state, many taking up a new "Mesopotamian" identity that abandoned the concept of a state founded on the Arab peoples. Eventually, the increasingly radical ideologies ended with Iran having to directly occupy the region, taking in Iraqi provinces as full-blown parts of the Iranian nation with the admittedly audacious plan of centering the Iranian nation on the banks of the Tigris and Euphrates for the first time since the time of the Sassanids some 15 centuries prior.

But that was not the only effect of the oil crisis. China, an industrial and diplomatic behemoth had built her empire upon oil. From the Chinese textile factories of downtown Mombasa to the pristine streets of Shanghai, oil from around the world feeds through the Chinese trading empire into the factory of the world--Africa. China had, in previous decades attempted to pursue Nuclear Power or Hydropower as an alternative, but it was too little, to late. It appeared that the Chinese Century was at an end.

Doomsayers preached the coming of nuclear war with India, and the politburo found the Chinese Empire collapsing around them. Riots broke out across China, much like how the Americans came to an abrupt, unexpected end. Soon, it appeared that the only way to soothe the anger of the populace was war--war against the vile Indians who dared challenge Chinese supremacy.

Iran, in her greatly strengthened position was still in no position to challenge the behemoths the likes of China and India. However, by acting as a “mediator” between the two giants, Iran played a key part in the establishment of a Sino-Indian condominium and a relatively peaceful transition of hegemony. Indian troops were sent to prop up a new government devoted to maintaining stability and cutting China's losses.

The Indian Century marked a new beginning, a beginning where the prosperity--and thus many problems that the previous hegemonic era had brought to the third world would be refined. The technological stagnation that had plagued the century prior was deemed unacceptable: the Indian century was to be one of progress and growth, one where space--as Prime Minister Andra (Term: 2168-2178) stated, was to be "humanity's new frontier."; the world order that blindly pursued economic development was to be removed--India would neither allow challenges to her dominance rise so quickly, nor allow the uncontrolled pollution of the African continent continue. One aspect that did carry on from the Chinese era was the authoritarian democracy trumpeted by the politburo, a system that many in India (really the entire third world, but no Indian will accept that fact) saw as the key to good, stable governance.

The Indian century saw a scientific renaissance unparalleled in human history, with Chandra--India's lunar colony growing to house 0.5 billion by 2293; robots replacing most manual labor, and even interplanetary battleships being constructed as--to put it more colloquially, "Dick measuring contests" between the various powers. Indian power reigned supreme on all 7 continents.

India's ascension, while infinitely more glorious than China's, saw a much harder fall. Her rivalry with the Communist Nigerians ended in a conventional war that saw the invasion of the subcontinent itself, and the final collapse of the Indian state with an exodus to Chandra.

Nigeria maintained supremacy over much of planet Earth, but was virtually powerless beyond the planet. A confederation of human colonies made full use of their interplanetary battleships to blockade Earth--a move that resulted in a great many attempts by the Nigerians to construct land-based shipyards. The escalation continued until Nigeria was positioning railguns across the planet's surface to counter the continuous bombardment that rained down from above.

The Decade of Unthinkables
Chandra's desire for revenge saw old Sino-Indian ideals of authoritarian democracy warped and Earth's satellite sliding into full-blown totalitarianism with the rise of a militaristic society hell-bent on revenge.

Back in Iran, the state continued the usual policy of siding with whoever was the premier hegemon at the time. But with Chandran guns now trained upon Tehran itself and the holy city of Qom next on the list, Iran saw little alternative but to turn on the Nigerians.

In 2378, Iran rose in rebellion against the world order imposed by Lagos in an event that the propagandists of Tehran declared of equal magnitude to Cyrus' conquests. Iran expected a narrow victory, and that was only if all things went according to plan and Iran's rebellion sparked similar movements across the planet. Fortunately for the world, it did. Nearly all of Asia and much of Africa rose in defiance against the Nigerian world order, and rebel forces were soon marching on North Africa in a neo-Achaemenid fashion. After a decade of fighting, Chandran shock troopers were occupying Lagos herself and exerting some much-desired revenge.

But Iran soon realized that she had simply traded one overlord for another, as Chandra now sought to impose her influence on all Earth-based states. Iran snatched leadership of Earth from Chandra, expelling her former allies from the planet and enforcing herself as the spiritual successor to the old Sino-Indian Condominium and premier power on the planet. All of this in the span of 4 months, long before Chandran forces had arrived in any significant number. Iranian forces took over Nigerian railguns, using them to cripple the unprepared, undersupplied Chandran battleships in orbit over the span of a 3 month Battle for Earth.

Iran Trimphant?
As the 24th Century draws to a close, Iran has been premier power of Earth for a quarter of a century. During this period, Iran has attempted to usher in a Second Scientific Renaissance, with limited success. Earth is simply to devastated from war, too disunited, too demoralized. But at very least, war and production alike have been perfected by unmatched artificial intelligence loyal to humans and humans only.

From Tehran, the Supreme President (the roles of Supreme leader and president have been long since merged) rules over an Iran that experiences a new golden age previously thought impossible. Iran of today is a nation the very symbol of multiculturalism, with a thousand ethnicities calling the same nation their home--much of this being thanks to the fact that the Supreme President rules with a light hand, as the shahs of old once did. In place of the satraps, a great many cooperative states have been established as Iran's closest allies--countries that are offered a place in Iran's empire if they bend the knee.

Beyond the immediate surroundings of Iran, the remnants of century-old superpowers stand yet: Russia has long recovered from Medvedev's folly but looks upon her former vassal with pure fear. Kazakhstan and her many Turkic allies were once true challenges to Iran's hegemony, but have long since been humbled, with Tehran seeking to assimilate the Turkic peoples within the empire's boundaries. India remains a mess of republics and princedoms, but the Gujarati government supported by Iran seeks to reestablish the long-lost dream of a united India.

Going even further, China is ironically the last state practicing liberal democracy, but while the system itself may not be faulty, China has never managed to rebuild her devastated economy with the turmoil that has engulfed the nation for years. Europe is a group of tinpot dictatorships and banana republics, one which even Iran hesitates to go near. America meanwhile has largely recovered from the humiliating defeats along the centuries, and is even showing signs of revival.

Finally, Chandra is silent, with only a select few knowing what is happening behind the scenes. Tehran knows very little, as defectors are gunned down by the thousands of spaceships that patrol Chandra's atmosphere.

Last edited:
*Lesson to all of us in good cartography and worldbuilding*
Beautiful work! The map is fantastic and the story is gripping. Two questions:
1. Are you planning to do a map of what happens in the Americas in this world?
2. Have you at all considered writing a Medvedev's Folly TL?

Yes! End-of-page syndrome is no more!​
Fantastic! The border work and little people are very nice, that must have taken a while. And the story is intriguing. What do the European countries produce to trade— you said some of them are banana republics? What's happening in Libya? Did the USA collapse metaphorically or is it Balkanized? Finally, what's the state of nuclear weapons?

Sorry I have a lot of questions, the story behind the map is very good. And the map itself is beautiful.​

After much research, which included reading the book (I have also read V-S day, have any of you read V-S day?), I have finished it. A cover of the years of rice and salt, covering the entire long war. One hilarious thing I did was spend hours searching through the last few chapters to find the dates, only to realise there was a chronology at the front.:oops: I have also added an america-wank counter on the side, because giant memes apparently aren't allowed.

So anyways, it's not easy being green.....
View attachment 341292

The long war, a conflict which consumed millions of lives and lasted 67 (Islamic) years, was entirely a product of bad luck and coincidences. The rise of a quirky (and insanely effective) pan-Islamic movement, Yingzhou and India moving together, Sunni and Shi'ite states joining to avenge their defeat in the last war against the Indians, these events moved coalesced the world into larger and larger blocs. The wick had the wax of an increasing arms race, revanchism, and various skirmishes around the globe. In 1914, Central Asian states got in war with China over the Muslims in Xinjiang, then eastern Europe intervened, then the Sultanate of Rum. An incident dragged India into a war, then an attack on Chinese merchants brought China to war with Arabia and its bloc. The final spark was conflict in the Jungles and islands of southern Yingzhou, bringing a sea of blood to the new world. Many wars become one, and the long war began.

The war proved to be a horrible drag, as the sheer size of the conflict (And the massive groups involved) overstretched forces and logistics. The Muslims in India did get lots of progress in the beginning, taking over most of the north and creating the Delhi state. But in most places the conflict devolved into trench warfare and stalemate.

Each place had their own little flavour of war. The dry Gansu front, was surprisingly mobile (but still had many trenches), with men (including many guerrilla fighters) on horseback (and later armoured cars) scouting ahead for armies constantly trying to outflank each other. The Indian front was extremely immobile. on the other hand, with vast amounts of religious rebellions leeching away resources for Delhi, and crippling loss of the north for the league.

The quite empty Yingzhou league suffered many losses, losing much of the well-developed east from repeated enemy offensives. Dar al-Islam eventually stalled in the immense front, and eventually retreated to closer to their borders. In Inka, (EEVUL) Al-Ghiana and its neighbours chased Fusang from the lowlands, only to grind to a halt in the Andes. The war helped form the post-war unions, as Jinshan formed a close association with its native allies.

Ifriqiya proved to be quite awful, as Ingoli fought in the sweltering jungles against the native Islamic empires. Pleasantries such as child soldiers armed with Napoleonic-era weapons, suicide bombers (though, that was used in quite a lot of other places), the newest bio-weapons, and guerrillas were unleashed against each other. Warlords rampaged from Zanzibar to the Kalahari, and they often fought each other as much as they fought the designated enemy.

Technology went in overdrive during the war, as both sides sought to gain an advantage. Gatling guns were recent inventions at the beginning, and at the end tanks and jet fighters were common sights. Bombers burnt down city upon city, while poison gas and bio-weapons were used liberally. The environment in many places resembled France's Rouge Zone (and often worse). But by 1980, there seemed to be some change, as more advanced coalition troops were chasing back their Dar Al-Islam counterparts, some countries were downright surrendering. There could have been a reverse, but it never came. Coalition scientists in the Aozhou desert had discovered the weapon to win the war, the Atomic Bomb. Five cities were bathed in flame, and Dar al-Islam surrendered. The war was over, the old order was torn down, but the scars would remain for centuries to come.
Atomic fission actually wasn't discovered until years after the war. It's a big plot point in Nsara.

Excellent job, interesting future history. I'd give the Iranians some more puppets in former India and Arabian peninsula, but that's just me. I'd imagine that Iran and other advanced economies have long since moved to a primarily synthetic/indoors model of food production: after several centuries of global warming fallout, I can't see the already agriculturally sparse land of Greater Iran supporting the population needed to dominate the globe otherwise. Tehran, weather-dome protected city of 100 millions? I'm busy right now, but would you be interested in collaborating on a world map a few weeks down the line?

I'm am a bit skeptical of the time frames it takes China and the US to recover from their respective falls: history happens faster nowadays. :)

Also,

China, an industrial and diplomatic behemoth had built her empire upon oil. From the Chinese textile factories of downtown Mombasa to the pristine streets of Shanghai, oil from around the world feeds through the Chinese trading empire into the factory of the world--Africa. China had, in previous decades attempted to pursue Nuclear Power or Hydropower as an alternative, but it was too little, to late. It appeared that the Chinese Century was at an end.

This doesn't quite jibe with the fact that China is now the world's largest investor in alternative energy. Surely there are other routes to bringing the Chinese hegemony down than peak shale oil. :biggrin:

What does one do when he sees 52 alerts the very moment he wakes up?
Uh...

By still, thanks to everyone for the overwhelming support (46 likes in the span of 8 hours!XD). I'll do my best to answer your questions.
Them little pixel people, so cute!:)
and the pixel art cause grows ever stronger...
1. Are you planning to do a map of what happens in the Americas in this world?
Don't have much plans at yet, but it's probably going to involve the US declining to OTL-Russia levels (complete with Putinism), balkanizing, but reuniting again. I'm very open to suggestions lorewise though.
2. Have you at all considered writing a Medvedev's Folly TL?
Maaaaybeee. HK's education system isn't the most forgiving when it comes to free timeo_O
banana republics?
Various metals for industrial use as well as coal from Northern Europe for poorer countries that can't even afford the infinitely more efficient nuclear power and clean energy. With 4 centuries of migration, the definition of what Europe is has shifted Northwards, ending in the formation of a "Mediterranean cultural sphere", so to say.
What's happening in Libya?
Under a glorious pro-Iranian regime, though not a satrapy, as all the states in light yellow are.
Did the USA collapse metaphorically or is it Balkanized?
Mostly metaphorically, though it did lose vast tracts of the Southwest and Northeast to secessionism. I haven't decided how to overall lore should look like atm, but I'm thinking a Justinian-style resurgence from a Northeastern-based Byzantine Empire US.
Finally, what's the state of nuclear weapons?
They have been mostly rendered useless by the time of the Indo-Nigerian War, which was the last war that saw any use of nukes. By the time of the Iranian hegemony, they are practically useless against cities that have been continuously bombarded for 40 years, and thus now have more built-in defenses than you can imagine.
Two, is that meant to translate as "Peaceful State of the Iranian People", or something like it? Not to criticize or anything; I'm just curious.
It's still the Islamic Republic of Iran. While Iran may have embraced Secularism, that doesn't mean they're going to say that the 1979 Revolution was wrong or anything. The Iranian Government usually drops the Islamic when not issuing official documents. It's like how the PRC is "Communist"--just brought to extremes.
Excellent job, interesting future history. I'd give the Iranians some more puppets in former India and Arabian peninsula, but that's just me. I'd imagine that Iran and other advanced economies have long since moved to a primarily synthetic/indoors model of food production: after several centuries of global warming fallout, I can't see the already agriculturally sparse land of Greater Iran supporting the population needed to dominate the globe otherwise. Tehran, weather-dome protected city of 100 millions?
Well, Iran is now centered on Mesepotamia as well as colonizing *ahem* making inroads into Central Asia. I'm thinking the irrigation of the reigon? Not sure how it'd work though. But anyhow, I really like the domed city idea! This, as well as more satraps for the Supreme President is Canon now:D
I'm busy right now, but would you be interested in collaborating on a world map a few weeks down the line?
*gasps*:eek:
*checks if I'm asleep*
Yes, I'd love that:biggrin:. Might revise the lore as well.
I'm am a bit skeptical of the time frames it takes China and the US to recover from their respective falls: history happens faster nowadays.
The lore in my head is that the US is in a byzantine empire situation and that the American West is considered permanently lost for some time until a Justinian-type figure arises; while China undergoes a civil war of Anshi Rebellion proportions as the Pro-Indian government fails in both foreign policy and maintaining the economy. But yes, 2.5 centuries is a bit too long. Maybe both nations are hard-hit by Chandra's wars? I do have to explain why they don't eclipse Iran.
This doesn't quite jibe with the fact that China is now the world's largest investor in alternative energy. Surely there are other routes to bringing the Chinese hegemony down than peak shale oil.
Ehh...I admit I was fairly lazy in justifying this bit:p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.