Map Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my very first map.
This is the very first map that I made in my entire 15 year life.
Any thoughts for a first timer?
What should I improve next?
I don't have the text behind the map yet.

This is a great map!

May I ask just what was the POD in 65 and afterward?

What is the overall technology of the Earth? Like FLT? Lasers and plasma weapons? AI? Merc Suits?

How did South Vietnam win the war? (I would have burn South Vietnam to the ground, and let the North win.)

How was Germany reunited with the USSR still around?

No Canadian Colonies?

Is Iran still under the Shah?

southron_language.gif

Ethnolignuistic map of the Confederacy of Columbia.

Southron is evolved, modified and influenced by Scots, Irish, Spanish and French (and some way by native and Gullah) languages Southern English.
Tejano is a spanish-based language, influenced by the early Southron, French and native languages.

Really good. One small question: it says that the border between the USA and USSR on Venus is the only one in the Solar System, but it looks like there's one on Mercury too?

Really good. One small question: it says that the border between the USA and USSR on Venus is the only one in the Solar System, but it looks like there's one on Mercury too?

Unless, it's just a direct territorial boundary. Notice the different shades on Mercury - I guess the pale colour is just claims, whilst Venus has the regular colours, implying more than just a theoretical claim.

Usiing my old iPad (other should be fixed tomorrow) so I can't be sure, but is that the dark red of th Societs on an island off of Germany? Thought at first it was just an overlooked pixel, but if it is dark instead of light red I am guessing it is directly owned be the Soviets. Ahh, and I would suggest in future maps to use a different color for Korea than you do here. I know the usual color we use for Korea is a darkish red/maroon, so it may seem communist, but we generally recognize it for what it is. As it is, the current shade looks almost exactly like the mainland US. If it were the color of one of the Central American states I would say it showed its influence, but right now it seems that the entire peninsula has statehood. I would also suggest that having something in Israel to show Palestinian lands for most maps, unless there is something on the map or write-up directly addressing the area. Otherwise it seems as if Israel moved in, kicked out everyone, officially annexed the Golan Heights, then sat back as no one did a thing about it. Also a couple issues with other areas in the Middle East. The Nile Valley was plenty fertile until the damming of the river. Making to the Sahara wouldn't make the biggest of deals. Heck, a tenth or so of all the water the Egyptians dam up evaporates. Electricity is a prime concern there. And don't feel that groups cannot overlap. The African Union and the League of Islamic States share a dozen members between them. And just naming something an Arabian Pact.... Well, besides how Arabia is a region, it kind of makes the Mauritanians, Somalis, and some others feel a bit excluded. North Africans (in general), Tauregs, Sudanese, Berbers, Moroccans, etc may speak Arabic to an extent, but they do have their own governments and history. Anyways, a good first map.

So, I decided to make this little map for two reasons;
- Firstly, as of today, I have been on the site for a year (woo!).
- Secondly, I wanted to do something you just don't see that often; alternate American internal divisions with a 20th century POD.

Unfortunately, I'm out of time. The map's done, but the notes and write-up are still a WIP, so I'll just post the map and a brief description here now then update it with something more expansive when this damned thing is finally finished.

To start things off, this map is set in the same universe as my last map of Europe (found here; https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/attachments/upload_2017-6-27_3-0-50-png.330526/).

The 20's go pretty much the same, but the crap really hits the fan in TTL's Great Depression. Cue a rather farcical second civil war that ends when the government remnant cuts a deal with a communist faction based in the rust belt to take down the rather nasty military regime that had set itself up in the South. The Philippines and Puerto Rico gained independence, and the rest was pulled together under a slightly looser federal arrangement than before, with Autonomous states (former warlords and militia regimes that changed sides at the right time), Autonomous cities, and "Sovereign Associated Republics" (basically independent semi-states that the government was either too poor to properly invade, or were already collaborating).

Wind forward to the present, and America is an isolationist great power, lording it over their puppets in Central America and the Carribbean, but taking a neutral line internationally.

So, yeah. As I say, I have a write-up in the works, but it probably won't be ready for a few days. Ask questions, but hopefully they'll all be answered when the write up is eventually posted.

There's the basics, here's the map;
upload_2017-8-29_20-54-51.png

EDIT: The write-up turned out to be a dud, but I finally got the notes finished. Enjoy.

EDIT 2: Bugger, you can really tell I rushed the notes; typos everywhere. Might change that at some point.

Last edited:
After much research, which included reading the book (I have also read V-S day, have any of you read V-S day?), I have finished it. A cover of the years of rice and salt, covering the entire long war. One hilarious thing I did was spend hours searching through the last few chapters to find the dates, only to realise there was a chronology at the front.:oops: I have also added an america-wank counter on the side, because giant memes apparently aren't allowed.

So anyways, it's not easy being green.....
Long_War.png

The long war, a conflict which consumed millions of lives and lasted 67 (Islamic) years, was entirely a product of bad luck and coincidences. The rise of a quirky (and insanely effective) pan-Islamic movement, Yingzhou and India moving together, Sunni and Shi'ite states joining to avenge their defeat in the last war against the Indians, these events moved coalesced the world into larger and larger blocs. The wick had the wax of an increasing arms race, revanchism, and various skirmishes around the globe. In 1914, Central Asian states got in war with China over the Muslims in Xinjiang, then eastern Europe intervened, then the Sultanate of Rum. An incident dragged India into a war, then an attack on Chinese merchants brought China to war with Arabia and its bloc. The final spark was conflict in the Jungles and islands of southern Yingzhou, bringing a sea of blood to the new world. Many wars become one, and the long war began.

The war proved to be a horrible drag, as the sheer size of the conflict (And the massive groups involved) overstretched forces and logistics. The Muslims in India did get lots of progress in the beginning, taking over most of the north and creating the Delhi state. But in most places the conflict devolved into trench warfare and stalemate.

Each place had their own little flavour of war. The dry Gansu front, was surprisingly mobile (but still had many trenches), with men (including many guerrilla fighters) on horseback (and later armoured cars) scouting ahead for armies constantly trying to outflank each other. The Indian front was extremely immobile. on the other hand, with vast amounts of religious rebellions leeching away resources for Delhi, and crippling loss of the north for the league.

The quite empty Yingzhou league suffered many losses, losing much of the well-developed east from repeated enemy offensives. Dar al-Islam eventually stalled in the immense front, and eventually retreated to closer to their borders. In Inka, (EEVUL) Al-Ghiana and its neighbours chased Fusang from the lowlands, only to grind to a halt in the Andes. The war helped form the post-war unions, as Jinshan formed a close association with its native allies.

Ifriqiya proved to be quite awful, as Ingoli fought in the sweltering jungles against the native Islamic empires. Pleasantries such as child soldiers armed with Napoleonic-era weapons, suicide bombers (though, that was used in quite a lot of other places), the newest bio-weapons, and guerrillas were unleashed against each other. Warlords rampaged from Zanzibar to the Kalahari, and they often fought each other as much as they fought the designated enemy.

Technology went in overdrive during the war, as both sides sought to gain an advantage. Gatling guns were recent inventions at the beginning, and at the end tanks and jet fighters were common sights. Bombers burnt down city upon city, while poison gas and bio-weapons were used liberally. The environment in many places resembled France's Rouge Zone (and often worse). But by 1980, there seemed to be some change, as more advanced coalition troops were chasing back their Dar Al-Islam counterparts, some countries were downright surrendering. There could have been a reverse, but it never came. Coalition scientists in the Aozhou desert had discovered the weapon to win the war, the Atomic Bomb. Five cities were bathed in flame, and Dar al-Islam surrendered. The war was over, the old order was torn down, but the scars would remain for centuries to come.

space_race_didn_t_end_by_brentatticus-dblkksv.png
The one thing I'd add is that if these countries are able to colonize Mercury or the south pole of Venus, maybe they should colonize/be able to colonize Antarctica?

attempt.png

(obvious) WIP for this thread which started off as a humble DBWI and has since blossomed into a semi-coherent alternate timeline.

I've spent entirely too much time working on the colour scheme of far-right British Raj. And I haven't even inserted independent Delhi yet!

Really good!

One thing that I'd change, which is really just an aesthetic thing that I like, is the removal of double pixels on the diagonal.

Like so:

0Bl4wns.gif

Of course, this doesn't work to make it look better all the time, and also sometimes makes the map less accurate (especially the Czech border), so really it's just up to you where you want to have one pixel borders. I just personally think it looks cleaner.

It's often easier to do it as you go along with the map, so I wouldn't redo the map for this small thing, it'd take too long.

Secondly, I wanted to do something you just don't see that often; alternate American internal divisions with a 20th century POD.

Interesting, I like alternate US political arrangements. Do tell about Nobrara, or is it too time-consuming to tell outside of the writeup?

A quibble: those free black states seem rather large.

Unless the US as a whole is also quite authoritarian, I imagine genuinely oppressive warlord states don't last to 2017. If the locals don't outright revolt, they'll vote with their feet. (And once the US has recovered, as sure as hell they won't tolerate closing the borders to keep people in).

Status
Not open for further replies.