Map Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Reagent Why did Kamerun lose land if the Germans won the FIrst World War?
Cameroon_boundary_changes.PNG

That was me not being perceptive. (It didn't show up on the basemap, unlike South Cameroon)

I suppose I will retcon the description to mention that Mittelafrika ceded the territory to the United Kingdom as restitution for the restoration of Togoland to German rule (and as part of a general fixing of colonial borders in undefined regions)

Last edited:
This is a map I made for a 24-hour worldbuilding exercise, both for that and also as an excuse to test a radically different palette from my usual. These fictional Samtsune islands are in something of an Indian Ocean analogue, being islands suitable for the growing of things such as mangos, and have fairly extreme political diversity. The cultures themselves can be roughly divided into dignified, agrarian seafarers with a fondness for axes, highly pompous and ceremonial imperialists, hardy mountaineers with a nation for every valley, and austere traditionalists who would consider cutting a mango in a different way an affront to the ancestors. Individual peoples and nations have their own particular variations on these cultures, which I have very roughly sketched out elsewhere (if anyone is interested I'm happy to pop that up here). There are 5 main dialect groups descended from the original proto-Samtsune language, which all of the country labels are taken from. The proto-Samtsune people operated with a base-12 system, which has not universally survived to the present day but can be seen linguistically as a little relic. The one time, in legends, the islands were united was by the wielder of the Mango Sword (whose name is since lost to time). The legacy of this man and the sword is used as a basis and justification for Empire among the lowlanders, and when such Empires fracture it creates a whole mess of competing claims to the Mango Sword (probably a sword with a mango-shaped hilt rather than mango-shaped blade). This whole paradigm is opposed by the Ocean Way, an austere faith that wishes to return the Samtsune to the sea and away from decadence. Sailors and sailing are idealised by the Ocean Way's Navigators, right up to the coarse language.

24_hour_worldbuilding__the_samtsune_islands_by_daeres-dblh5u7.png

This is truly an amazing map with quite interesting concepts behind it. My heart goes out for both the natives of the scenario and the Congo itself within it haha. I've got a few questions I'd like to pose, if that'd be fine.

Are the Mittelafrikans facing backlash nowadays from various environmentalist groups, as I expect they would, for the flooding of the Congo basin? And what's the scale of the damage to the environment? With projects like the Panama Canal causing damage, something of that scale would have major repercussions.

Is Wilhelmmeer populated by the aquatic life one would've found in the Congo river before the project to dam it all began? Have there been any attempts to import fish of aesthetic value, by the Germans? Not that I'd expect they'd survive with what's there before.... Having watched so much River Monsters I've just got the image of Goliath Tiger Fish and other inhabitants of the river remaining a surviving symbol of the Heart of Darkness.

Lastly, three simple ones: In universe, where have the governments of the other old empires fled to? And, how's the United States doing with this alternate Red Menace? Also, within Mittelafrika, are there any comparable to Nelson Mandela individuals protesting for the end to the plutocracy, and with it representation for the native and mixed echelons of society?

I don't have all of the answers (@Flashman can probably provide some of the other ones), but:

France has fled to Algeria
Italy to Libya
Portugal to Angola
Spain to the Canary Islands
United Kingdom to the Commonwealth and Rhodesia
Remaining nations don't really control any sort of territory, but have governments in exile in anti-Marxist states

The United States suffered its own attempt revolution due to the poor governance of President Smith. However, the anti-Marxist forces prevailed in the civil war. The United States remains capitalist (though more authoritarian and weaker than OTL), and has good relations with "League of European Anti-Marxist States"

Nobody comparable to Mandela (in terms of being such a predominant figure) exists, though there are many who want to change the plutocratic system to enable greater representation of native and mixed echelons

Are the Mittelafrikans facing backlash nowadays from various environmentalist groups, as I expect they would, for the flooding of the Congo basin? And what's the scale of the damage to the environment? With projects like the Panama Canal causing damage, something of that scale would have major repercussions.
Yeah, ti's been utterly disastrous. The "Environmentalist" movement ITTL actually grew out of German engineers and ecologists observing and reporting on the affects of the Wilhelmmeer's expansion. However, the Anti-Marxist world remains quite conservative, and environmentalists are only just starting to have their voices heard - global warming has only recently moved from hypothesis to consensus rather recently ITTL.

The Bonobo, for example, is completely extinct in the wild. During the surveys done of the basin the species was documented, and a small captive population exists in Leopoldstadt and Wilhelmstadt.

Is Wilhelmmeer populated by the aquatic life one would've found in the Congo river before the project to dam it all began? Have there been any attempts to import fish of aesthetic value, by the Germans? Not that I'd expect they'd survive with what's there before.... Having watched so much River Monsters I've just got the image of Goliath Tiger Fish and other inhabitants of the river remaining a surviving symbol of the Heart of Darkness.
Yeah, most of the inhabitants of the Wilhelmmeer are descended from native species - Elephantfish, lungfish, birchir, Goliath Tiger Fish, all can be found in the Wilhelmmeer, and with the expanded living space, they're getting quite large. In fact, new fish are still being found, ones that eluded discovery prior to the flooding. Nile Crocodiles are the largest species native to the sea.

There have been attempts to introduce fish by the Germans to introduce both aesthetically pleasing and German fish. Most of them didn't survive, though certain species of lamprey, sturgeons, ornamental carp (a gift from the Japanese that's run wild) have done quite well.

Oh god, the Water Hyacinth infestation must be horrific.
Not as bad as you might think - being so large, the Wilhelmmeer has its own internal currents and weather patterns, allowing it to break up Hyacinth whenever it sprouts up. Of course, this is not the case in regions like the Malaria Coast...

Italy to Libya
Portugal to Angola
Remaining nations don't really control any sort of territory, but have governments in exile in anti-Marxist states

I imagine the Japanese have picked up a number of European colonies in the east "to protect them from Marxism."

I don't have all of the answers (@Flashman can probably provide some of the other ones), but:

Italy to Libya
Portugal to Angola

Why would the UK go to Rhodesia and not, say, Canada, or Australia, or even New Zealand? @Flashman might be able to answer, too.

In any case, Reagent, beautiful if slightly horrific map!

So I've been inspired by AltruisticHedonist and his ISOT maps and have decided to do one of my own.

This is only a WIP, but the idea is that the Top 7 most populated countries are ISOTed to a virgin earth.
Populous ISOT.png

So I've been inspired by AltruisticHedonist and his ISOT maps and have decided to do one of my own.

This is only a WIP, but the idea is that the Top 7 most populated countries are ISOTed to a virgin earth.

At last, a map that recognizes the densely populated industrial powerhouse of The Sovereign Republic of Yukon, Northern British Columbia and a Bit of Both Alberta and The Northwest Territories.

Status
Not open for further replies.