Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/commonwealth.html
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/commonwealth/soviet_union_admin_1981.jpg

soviet_union_admin_1981.jpg

Future 2.1.png

Honestly, I dread write ups on maps. I made this map a while back and here it is. A bit cliche but I had fun with it. And it's funny because I worked backwards this time. I have a map set about 100 years in the future of this one that I made first and then flip-flopped between the two with edits.

---------

This is our world in 2042. The politics of this world are both familiar and arduous. The political map shown does not do it justice.

In 2020, the global political shifts following the 45th President’s administration, Brexit, the removal of Turkey from NATO, and the formation of the Union State created an unrecoverable toxic atmosphere. Cracks in the EU were destabilizing the continent politically, economically, and diplomatically just as the Russian Federation grew in all such ways. The EU remained but as a shadow if its0 former self. The Russians expanded their influence, finally forming the Union State. Turkey had left/been forced out of NATO following irreparable international relations for various reasons – ultimately aligning with both Moscow and Beijing.

The kick to the war was the unexpected minor naval confrontation between the Chinese and Indians at Singapore. This led to China militarizing the South China Sea. The Russians used this opportunity to exert enormous diplomatic and economic pressure on Eastern Europe, nearly collapsing the Baltic and Ukrainian governments over night as the global economy began to crash. The Turks meanwhile gassed the Kurds and Iran and Saudi Arabia immediately mobilized to “defend” the destabilized Iraqi government. Meanwhile, Pakistan began to arm and North Korea immediately planned missile tests – both to deter and provoke confrontation.

The world knew what was coming. 10s, if not 100s of millions, would die before the war would end. It didn’t take long before the United States and their allies declared war. The only problem was prioritizing the fronts, and there was no way to cover all fronts.

In the end, the entire world lost despite the absolute surrender of the Moscow, Beijing, Ankara, Tehran, Pyongyang Axis. The victors were in economic ruin. Pakistan and India launched nukes and both governments collapsed soon after. Narcoterrorism was able to grow exponentially in Central America and Southeast Asia. Islamic Terrorism experienced a renaissance of grotesque proportions with Africa (though began to retreat from attacking the West). Mexico has collapsed in full civil war despite America’s best efforts. Both South Africa and Greece fell to full scale civil war.

Those that benefited were the largest of corporations. Despite taking massive financial hits, they were able to survive destruction of most of their industries. Drug and war lords have risen and become absurdly powerful, beginning to influence global politics at unprecedented levels. Many nations are beginning to extort the land in any way to gain energy, destroying an already ravage environment.

All in all, the future does not look good.

Alright. Nisyros, Santorini, Methana, Sousaki. Vitosha has never erupted in historical times. 3 out of 4 greek volcanoes are "smoking" as we speak. Right now. Not to mention the Italian ones... I'm not trying to put your map down. I'm just pointing out a mistake in geology...

What am I doing at my birthday? Right! Uploading a new map.

RHINE–MEUSE–MOSEL CIVILIZATION
It is a post-apocalyptic world where humans are almost extinct. The full description is on DeviantArt. Any language and general corrections are accepted.

rhine_meuse_mosel_civilization_by_enmergal-dbfx4ud.png

And Man Smiled.png

And Man Smiled

Inspired by Matteo, with me taking his wonderful basemap again, this map take places 80 years to the future, with the caveat in 2020 a magical awakening occurred, partily as a result of the eruption of Yellowstone, resulting in the first changes in this new era being the division of the United States between Native American States in the west, California, the Pro-Human United States of America ran by the Human Front, and the United American and Canadian States, the last seceding from the United States actually. Mexico, now as Aztlan, is doing very well for itself. That sans the rumours of many gains being the results of Aztec blood magic, but those are just Gringo lies, right?

Latin America is a rather strange place. A eco-friendly dragon along with Amazonian Indians has taken control of many portions of the Amazon, and has become a bastion of Deep Green thought in South America. This has offended many powers, from a resurgent Brazil that would like it’s territory back, to the Andean Confederation, which feels uncomfortable with Amazonias claims on its eastern territories. Along with this Patagonia has become a Welsh Elvish nation strangely enough.

Europe despite fears of decline, is doing well and is somewhat vengeful. The Core European Federation and the outer members of the federation seek to flex their muscles, first with the 2030 war with Russia that unified them, and the the 2060 war with Russia that led to the first partition of Russia. Now the European phoenix seeks to expand it’s influence all over the world.

Africa and the African Union has become a key player on the world stage. Sans the ghoul state on lake Chad and Azania, most of Africa due to already being controlled by natives has not suffered some of the same magical consequences. Already plans are being drawn to expand African influence around the world. Hati looks like a good place to start…

Asia is the land of snarling rivals, while the nominal quintuple alliance of Iran, India, China, Japan,

and Indonesia presents a united front against everybody else, in practice each one of them seeks to be top dog in the Asian system, with alliances being created a dissolved everyday. The big surprise being the rise of Japan. With the awakening in 2020, Japan turns out had a lot of magical resources on hand, helping boost the Japanese economy, and soon transforming them from a declining state to a new Asian superpower. This was first seen in the 2060’s when Japan attacked Russia's far eastern territories, regaining Sakhalin and having the largest stake in the Vladivostok freeport. The Imperial Japanese rise has made many Asian nations nervous for better or for worse, considering the Japanese have a massive magical arsenal to deploy…

I finally have to thank the world of Shadowrun for influence on this creation, mainly being seen in the fact that initially this was going to be a Shadowrun world cover, but then my imagination took hold, and some changes were enacted.

I hope you find this interesting.

RHINE–MEUSE–MOSEL CIVILIZATION​

Happy birthday, man, and fantastic map! Really, it makes me jealous! :biggrin:
Quick question, though. Is the RMM Civ mostly German, French, or a mixture in heritage and culture? I would assume it's a mixture on the grand scale, but are there any cultural divides based on ancient heritage? And is Isseler mostly Argent or Cuvier?

OK, the finalized map for Venusian Si and his ABC world scenario.

Similar to Beedok's series, only the ASB in this case sent the countries for three letters rather than one. It generally did better than the individual A B and C worlds, having more functional centers of civilization, more human and technological resources, and less geographical isolation. Still, with no USA, Russia, India, or all-Europe EC to compete, China has still come to dominate, if not as absolutely as in "C". Major secondary powers are (in descending order) Brazil, the Andean Union (sometimes just called "Andea"), the African Union, The New EU (a more unified structure than OTLs EU, well on its way towards a United States of Europe, at least in its core Belgian-Austrian-Czech-Croat-Bosnian area), Algeria, and Australia. Brazil, the Andean Union, and one of the other Powers in combination could offer a real challenge to Chinese dominance, but fortunately Brazil and the Andeans have been rivals almost from the start of the ISOT. (Indeed, it's only thank to sheer luck - and perhaps a wonder about what the Chinese will get up to - that has kept them from a full WWI/WWII type throwdown over all these years).

View attachment 332659
Was Burma spared by the ASB's?
Because it officially has two names.

I doubt it is so outstanding, but still thank you!:)
Happy birthday, man, and fantastic map! Really, it makes me jealous! :biggrin:
Thank you! I know from my own experience that jealousy can add lots of productivity, if you direct it right.
Quick question, though. Is the RMM Civ mostly German, French, or a mixture in heritage and culture? I would assume it's a mixture on the grand scale, but are there any cultural divides based on ancient heritage?
I'd say, it is mostly a mixture because of significant migration impacts. People from different cities and countries were seeking a better life and consolidated in some friendly places forming their states at the ruins of the old world. It's only ten years after the Disaster has finished, so it is hard to generalize, as each community has its own features that can hardly be called formed culture. It depends a lot on the states policy toward the heritage and self-determination, I guess.
And is Isseler mostly Argent or Cuvier?
None of them, I assume.:) They all have much in common, though.
I'm reminded of the webcomic Stand Still, Stay Silent.
I should take a look at it. Now I can only say that its drawing is really awesome and it makes me think of Japanese visual arts (which is quite surprising).

What am I doing at my birthday? Right! Uploading a new map.

RHINE–MEUSE–MOSEL CIVILIZATION
It is a post-apocalyptic world where humans are almost extinct. The full description is on DeviantArt. Any language and general corrections are accepted.​

Gorgeous map, and I loved the key and notes. You survivors seem to be right up against the minimum population needed to supply genetic diversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.