Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have to wonder - seeing as the US seemingly grabbed Canada relatively early in this map, would Alaska have ever made it to statehood?
Alyeska seems reasonable enough in my opinion, though it is odd that Hudson isn't a state as well at this point. More worrying is how there is a state of Jefferson in Northern California which, given OTL Nevada border is the same, presumably came in as a state with the OTl borders to an extent, and the area with the gold seems likely to want the mythical name. I am guessing Arapaho is something like a giant reservation, though I wonder how Kansas and Nebraska would give up their claims (if we assume they did that ITTL) to the land and have it end up like this with Utah taking most of it. Considering they gave up the land IOTL so as to avoid prospectors taking up too much of the electorate... Strange how Gold Rushes come into play for so many of these. Exceeeept for South Carolina, which have been partitionsed in the most ridiculous of ways. Strange how in almost every map, fictional and historical, Georgia always gets from being some groups settlement of convicts and slaves into some enormous state with moral and political sway over their neighbors.

Just realized that, in a matter of days, I have critized the idea that either north or south of a partitioned California get the name.

I do have to wonder - seeing as the US seemingly grabbed Canada relatively early in this map, would Alaska have ever made it to statehood?

That's a fair question, one I admittedly hadn't thought very deeply about when putting together the backstory for the larger map. On considering it now, It'd say it probably still would, given that the Klondike Gold Rush would have still occurred in that territory to spur interest in the late-19th century, and later oil discovery would have drawn more population there in the 20th century, in addition to the ever-present lumber and fishery industries. During the Second Great War, the territory was the staging area for the Siberian Expedition, creating a large military presence and infrastructure that still exists following war's end, with a sizable population around it.

Strange how Gold Rushes come into play for so many of these. Exceeeept for South Carolina, which have been partitionsed in the most ridiculous of ways. Strange how in almost every map, fictional and historical, Georgia always gets from being some groups settlement of convicts and slaves into some enormous state with moral and political sway over their neighbors.

South Carolina started an earlier and substantially bloodier Civil War, and lost a lot of its population during the war and subsequent Reconstruction, so following the war it was divided between Georgia and (formerly North) Carolina. There's more detail on the country in general in the original post if you want to find out more.

Last edited:
Warning
Before the alt-US states train leaves the station, here's the United States from my map a few pages back, with all the state names and abbreviations.

prEQZOq.png

AB - Assiniboia
AC - Acadia
AE - Apacheria
AH - Arapaho
AL - Alabama
AP- Appalachia
AT - Athabaska
AY - Alyeska
AZ - Arizona
CA - California
CH - Cheyenne
CL - Carolina
CT - Connecticut
CU - Cuba
DE - Delaware
DG - Douglass
DK - Dakota
FL - Florida
FR - Fremont
GA - Georgia
GT - Grant
HR - Huron
IL - Illinois
IN - Indiana
JF - Jefferson
KN - Kanawha
KS - Kansas
KY - Kentucky
LA - Louisiana
MA - Massachusetts
MB - Manitoba
MD - Maryland
ME - Maine
MI - Michigan
MO - Missouri
MS - Mississippi
NB - New Brunswick
NE - Nebraska
NH - New Hampshire
NJ - New Jersey
NY - New York
OH - Ohio
OK - Oklahoma
OR - Oregon
PA - Pennsylvania
PN - Panama (not pictured)
QC - Quebec
RI - Rhode Island
SH - Shoshone
SN - Sonora
SQ - Sequoyah
TN - Tennessee
TX - Texas
UT - Utah
VA - Virginia
VT - Vermont
WA - Washington
WI - Wisconsin
AC - Arctic Territory
AN - Antarctic Territory (not pictured)
HU - Hudson Territory
UN - Ungava Territory
UM7XF7L.png

Carolina started an earlier and substantially bloodier Civil War, and lost a lot of its population during the war and subsequent Reconstruction, so following the war it was divided between Georgia and (formerly North) Carolina. There's more detail on the country in general in the original post if you want to find out more.
Thought it might have something to do with the Civil War, but given that a majority of the population slaves, as well as there being several thousand freedmen... Why didn't the Union simply take the land of those who fought the Union and give it to freed slaves? Would make things a lot easier for dealing with Free Soilers and Copperheads who didn't want competition over land. It would also have given the Union an area virtually guaranteed to support them. And if they then decided to make other areas lily white? Well, then South Carolina, Mississippi, and Lousiana would be well placed to take and support most of the former slave population, who would be the first target of any insurgency groups in Dixie and would be loyal by necessity.

I get that West Papua will likely go its own way when Indonesia prolapses for being the quasi-feudal half-heartedly civic thing that it is, but knowing the demographics and the entrenched dominance of the local army command, it's not going to be ruled by native Papuans.

That completely slipped my mind, I should've done more research! :coldsweat: I'll keep that in mind if I do any updates, thanks!!

Now that is a cool idea. I've always wished I had some artistry skills so I could get more into speculative evolution.

That is exactly my problem as well! I better start practicing drawing some animals so I can produce something better than a stick figure :p

Nice, but there's no way the Orangutans would be around after 50 million years, even in relatively stable conditions. Look at the last 50 million years for evolution. Double that for anywhere outside of Indonesia.

They are, presumably, descended from Orangutans and were named "Australian Orangutans" for their resemblance to modern Orangutans.

@TheScottishMongol got it right! They aren't technically actual orangutans. Merely they just look similar enough for the name to have stuck with them. In reality, it's sort of like calling Godinotia (an early primate from 50 million years ago) a macaque merely because they superficially look similar.

That's actually great.

Why don't you also do one where the Iberic states get ISOTed to a Virgin Earth:

Basically:
-all of Spain and Portugal
-all of Latin America (only the Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries)
-Iberian Asia-Pacific (Philippines, East Timor, Goa, Macau, Palau, Guam, NMI, and Micronesia)
-Equatorial Guinea and the former Portuguese Africa (Guinea-Bissau, Cape Verde, Sao Tome and Principe, Angola, and Mozambique)

That's a good idea! No promises, but I'll look into it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.