Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP... politics on the brain.

Attachments

• Project Lenin.png
    Project Lenin.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 626
How has global warming affected Egypt?
In this timeline the sea level rises even faster, than it does in the real world, causing some vulnerable countries (such as Egypt) to take actions in order to minimize the losses. Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard to make things right...

I appreciate any language corrections you can make!

Here's a link to DeviantArt

_ah__how_has_global_warming_affected_egypt__by_enmergal-dbc3i7u.png

What's the deal with the flooded Quattra depression and the new ?province? around it. It's not shown as submerged land so I assume it was flooded deliberately. When was is flooded, is there a hydroelectric facility, and how did everyone else miss this?

This map is probably relevant for pre-glacial stuff:
NeogenePeriod.jpg

Pffft, just when I thought I was getting a hang on the subject. Honestly, I'd like to pick the brain of some of the people that work on those models. Every time I find myself going over 'what did the ice sheets even do to the land??' I can't help but get the feeling there some hot shot science guy somewhere has already wrote hundreds of pages about the science of glaciers in some academic paper I've never heard of but is invariably behind a fucking paywall.

Fucking paywalls.

Anyway, maybe there're some sources online about isostatic rebound that could help answer some questions here? If anyone has an idea of where to go looking for that sort of stuff, I'd be grateful.

Rhad

Banned
Pffft, just when I thought I was getting a hang on the subject. Honestly, I'd like to pick the brain of some of the people that work on those models. Every time I find myself going over 'what did the ice sheets even do to the land??' I can't help but get the feeling there some hot shot science guy somewhere has already wrote hundreds of pages about the science of glaciers in some academic paper I've never heard of but is invariably behind a fucking paywall.

Fucking paywalls.

Anyway, maybe there're some sources online about isostatic rebound that could help answer some questions here? If anyone has an idea of where to go looking for that sort of stuff, I'd be grateful.
That map is very old, though (several mya). Half the differences are from continental drift.

What's the deal with the flooded Quattra depression and the new ?province? around it. It's not shown as submerged land so I assume it was flooded deliberately. When was is flooded, is there a hydroelectric facility, and how did everyone else miss this?
Yeah, finally!:) I thought nobody will ever see it, which would have been quite sad.
The Qattara Project is the second PoD for the TL. As you have mentioned, the depression was flooded manually, not naturally, and is used as one of the largest electricity generators across the globe. As for 2020, it is in its first phase being a place where almost all the water inflowed from the Mediterranean evaporates quickly. There was the second purpose, though—it was supposed to become a new home for those unlucky people who used to live in the Nile Delta before the flood. However, this plan did not work out.

I would say more would be needed, and that they might style them something differently. And do you mean Cairo is the capital, or another area with that title?

Yes I do mean that Cairo is the capital but it is known by the arabic name. Like how many more? Should I have the Kingdom only include the Hejaz and Egypt/Cyrenaica and make the Levant and Syria/Mesopotamia into Protectorates and also have the rest of Islamic Africa become protectorates? If so, I understand where you are coming from and I will start working on that now.

Well, crossing my fingers on this. Hope posting goes okay this time. Wish me luck.

The Two Americas

Here is a teaser for the new version of Heart of Dixie. It is of a continent deeply divided against itself, as much in 1900 as it was in 1860. Much has changed over the past decades in the latter half of the 19th century that has caused the two nations, once a loose whole, to become as different as any other two countries. In the north is the United States, a mighty beast of industrialization and capitalism that spans the continent as a colossus. It is a land of great inequalities and contrasts, from the farmers and workers rising up from impoverishment in populism and leftism to the rich industrial capitalists, bankers, stockbrokers, and other purveyors of wealth who seek to make America the greatest workshop the world has ever seen. It is a place where one can get lost in the West forever, in plains and mountains larger than all of India, or lose one's self in cities no larger than some farmers' ranches, whose seemingly-endless blocks grow in every direction. It is a land like no other, and the envy of the entire western world.

To the south is the Confederate States, an altogether different animal who lumbers along, sick and weak, into the 20th century. As much as the United States is a land of contrasts, the Confederate States is even moreso. Rich industrialists and slavers (in some states in all but name as even without slavery the rich white men are always favored and provided a way to rule over their black workers) are far separated from the masses of teeming poor white farmers, laborers, and factory workers who stand only a little above the slaves or former slaves who toil endlessly in a system designed specifically to oppress and subjugate them in the most inhumane and evil way that could possibly be conceived by man. Yet it is not an enduring system, and by 1900 that becomes ever more clear, as agitation among the poor black and poor white communities only continues to grow (helped along by a sympathetic United States). The works of Marx, Engels, and Clemens--known for a certain tract known as "Heart of Dixie"--spread like wildfire through the lower classes of the Confederacy, and only time will tell what will be birthed from this seed.

It is a world both similar to and vastly different from our own, of the many millions of peoples who inhabit it and their contributions to the world. It is a world of destinies and fortunes, spread across so vast and great a land as has never been known before. It is the world of Heart of Dixie, and it is a world coming this August, 2017.

Tf42HIT.jpg

Well, crossing my fingers on this. Hope posting goes okay this time. Wish me luck.

The Two Americas

Here is a teaser for the new version of Heart of Dixie. It is of a continent deeply divided against itself, as much in 1900 as it was in 1860. Much has changed over the past decades in the latter half of the 19th century that has caused the two nations, once a loose whole, to become as different as any other two countries. In the north is the United States, a mighty beast of industrialization and capitalism that spans the continent as a colossus. It is a land of great inequalities and contrasts, from the farmers and workers rising up from impoverishment in populism and leftism to the rich industrial capitalists, bankers, stockbrokers, and other purveyors of wealth who seek to make America the greatest workshop the world has ever seen. It is a place where one can get lost in the West forever, in plains and mountains larger than all of India, or lose one's self in cities no larger than some farmers' ranches, whose seemingly-endless blocks grow in every direction. It is a land like no other, and the envy of the entire western world.

To the south is the Confederate States, an altogether different animal who lumbers along, sick and weak, into the 20th century. As much as the United States is a land of contrasts, the Confederate States is even moreso. Rich industrialists and slavers (in some states in all but name as even without slavery the rich white men are always favored and provided a way to rule over their black workers) are far separated from the masses of teeming poor white farmers, laborers, and factory workers who stand only a little above the slaves or former slaves who toil endlessly in a system designed specifically to oppress and subjugate them in the most inhumane and evil way that could possibly be conceived by man. Yet it is not an enduring system, and by 1900 that becomes ever more clear, as agitation among the poor black and poor white communities only continues to grow (helped along by a sympathetic United States). The works of Marx, Engels, and Clemens--known for a certain tract known as "Heart of Dixie"--spread like wildfire through the lower classes of the Confederacy, and only time will tell what will be birthed from this seed.

It is a world both similar to and vastly different from our own, of the many millions of peoples who inhabit it and their contributions to the world. It is a world of destinies and fortunes, spread across so vast and great a land as has never been known before. It is the world of Heart of Dixie, and it is a world coming this August, 2017.

Tf42HIT.jpg

Nice job on this map, Toix! I can't wait for the reboot of Heart of Dixie to start. :cool:

The Two Americas

YEESSSSSSSSS! It looks even better than your first version and holy shit already in August? I'm pumped! Looking forward to reading one of your timelines again.

Also: eff yeah, Standing Rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.