Map Thread XV

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by rvbomally, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Konrad13 Prince and Grand Duke

Despite the collapse of the FPDSRAS, tension in the Balkans remained high in the lead up to the Fifth Balkan War. Macedonia and Bulgaria, in talks about possibly making minor territorial exchanged to better define the boundaries of the ethnic groups in each country. On the Second of April, Macedonia soldiers on the border with the People's Republic of the Aegean, were woken up with the sound of artillery fire from the south. At dawn, fighter craft made strafing runs on Macedonian military installations before soldiers poured over the border. In a surprise attack that took the world by surprise, Aegean forces had pushed more then thirty miles into their neighbors borders by sundown.

Not wanting the Aegean to be resurgent, Yugoslavia declared war on the Fourth of April. Bulgaria, however, in a secret agreement with the Aegean, declared war on Macedonia and Yugoslavia on the Fifth of April. By the Twelfth, all of Macedonia save it's capital at Skopje and a contingent of soldiers held up in Mt Athos. Reports of atrocities being done to ethnic Macedonians trickled out to the west.

By this point, NATO stepped in and said that all Aegean and Bulgarian forces must leave sovereign Macedonian by the Twentieth. When the deadline passed, President Gore urged NATO members to begin a campaign to defend the Macedonian people. On the Twenty-second, NATO forces began aerial sorties over Macedonia from airbases temporarily permitted to them by Yugoslavia as well as Italy. On the Twenty-fourth, Romania declared war on Bulgaria and the Aegean "in defense of self-determination and peace in the Balkans." In a quickly drawn up treaty with the United States, France and the United Kingdom, several air bases were granted to them for ten years in exchange for economic initiatives and trade deals.

In the following two months, Aegean and Bulgarian forces were forced back into their own borders. Turkey, eager to seize the Dardanelles, declared war on Bulgaria just a week before the initiation of a mass ceasefire, pressing Bulgarian out of their holdings in the area. At the same time, internal pressures and a power grab by the Yugoslav president Dragan Mikerević declared that elections that were due that August would be postponed until after any and all treaties had been signed. This led to mass protests in Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia and Albania. By July, as the war was drawing to a close, Yugoslav forces were sent into the autonomous city of Serejevo and opened fire on protesters. This event would spark yet another bloody war that would ravage the Balkans called the Yugoslav War.

((Map is the Balkans on the First of April, 2001, the day before the Fifth Balkan War))

Attached Files:

JALC, Big Schwartz, wtw and 5 others like this.
  2. Cool-Eh Has an unhealthy obsession with ISOT's Donor

ArtStudio app. But the pixel limit kind of sucks. Even the paid version can only edit worlds size basemaps.

3. B_Munro Member

A WIP commission.

OddsAndEnds.png

theev, Ciniad, BippyTheGuy and 27 others like this.
  4. The Plainsman Some call me Bazinga

Let me guess. Is this a timeline in which the Inca Empire survives?

5. Kaiphranos Hydraulic Despot Donor

Nah, that just looks like a more unified Spanish colonial successor. I'm going to guess something happened to the American Revolution again, since the state borders are recognizably colonial, but America includes parts of Canada and not Louisiana.

Historyman 14 likes this.
  6. Clandango Well-Known Member

Indeed, though Spain hasn't unified quite as much internally at this point, perhaps. Looks like the Philipines might also be Peruvian here. Seems the Spaniards and Peruvians alternate between groups of island going through the Pacific, and that they jointly occupy Panama. Probably just an alliance, though a Spanish King down there would be interesting.

Historyman 14 likes this.
  7. Minchandre Well-Known Member

1st and 2nd principle components.

A process called PCA takes data and finds a set of new basis directions, such that each one is in a direction that captures as much variance as possible (i.e., the first principle component is the direction that out of all possible directions has the data vary the most with respect to it; the first component is subtracted as the second is found the same way, but with all motion due to the first one removed, etc).

It's used, among other things, in statistics and data analysis to reduce the dimension of high dimensional data (such as linguo-genetic data, which I think is just both linguistic and genetic data?), and help clustering.

Often, the first few principle components will capture "most" of the "information" in the data. For example, if you looked at the last several principle components, you'd find all the points were very close to each other.

Upvoteanthology likes this.
  8. Petros >Peter Fergus< Well-Known Member

I say it's measuring 'marrying distance' more than any one other thing.

9. sheevposter Can't Peeve the Sheev!!

It's supposed to be an 18th century/ seven years war sort of punk. The Russia is based off The Reign of George VI 1900-1925. Germany isn't complete yet.

10. Xianfeng Emperor Likes Ireland, food and Aisin Gioros

I wonder what the ominous red borders could be.

11. Terranoso Playoffs!? Donor

For future reference, the Census has high resolution shapefiles for all of the states. You can use those to clip an elevation map like that in your GIS software in a more refined manner. Which GIS did you use for this one?

Being a Kentucky native, the idea of my state becoming an alt-North Korea is hilarious. How'd you settle on that eastern border for !West Virginia?

SaveAtlacamani likes this.
  12. Bleh Well-Known Member

Aha. Enlightenment-punk? That's a new one, though it sounds exciting.

sheevposter likes this.
  13. Troyer IV Instant Pirate - Just Add Rum

In the final image, I'd probably leave the possibility for a Texas-dominated brand, or even a Texas-and-lands-west separate state solution. Run by a Bush-Larimore clan.

Otherwise, I quite like it. I'm curious how the New Africa state would function...

14. Bleh Well-Known Member

My guess: Articles of Confederation stay/Peru-Bolivia succeeds as a state?

15. Emperor-of-New-Zealand My name is Tom, if you like. Monthly Donor

Is this that one timeline from ages back where the Inca survive? Guns of Tawantinsuyu or something? I recall a timeline years ago that had the Inca colonise New Zealand.

16. Falkanner Armchair Cartographer

Yeah, it should have been, but I came up with "Caroline Republic" first and fell in love with the name, so I chose to part from the analogy for the sake of creativity.

I came up with "Grover Barr" as an analogy for Mao Zedong, but I didn't think of who would rule the DPRK. The Sanders family, perhaps? :p

The Caroline Empire couldn't take control of the entire river valley. They probably allowed Mexico to have some of the western parts, while the British dealt with the neglected northern areas.

I don't see what you mean. USONA included the whole *USA north of the Ohio and Potomac rivers.

Another case of choosing creativity over what makes sense. I liked the idea of giving the North a proper name instead of an acronym, so I put the vowel in there so you could pronounce it as a word, like "you-SOH-nah".

I started out with the line of 81 degrees West on Google Earth, then I just traced along some nearby rivers and mountain ranges to make it look more natural. That's essentially how the Korean border came about.

Thank you all for asking!

SaveAtlacamani likes this.
  17. FiendslayerPrime1976 Well-Known Member

Well this is an interesting scenario, Kentucky as North Korea... could you make a map of this TL's North America? I wanna see how the lands that are our USA in OTL turned out...

18. Clandango Well-Known Member

USONA is a weird name choice, but I did so love the word Usonia as a young teen so I approve. Is Youngstown a real place, or is it named after the Mormon leader? And strange that Arlington, a plantation, would become a larger city than Alexandria, especially as they were both right next to each other. And who, exactly, knows Kentucky and Virginia as West and East Virginia? And what is the Usonian(probably a decent thing to call them) capital? New York? Someplace inland?

19. ToixStory Winter Cartographer

I have QGIS but barely know how to work it. This is all done in Inkscape. :p

Terranoso likes this.
  20. Selvetrica Well-Known Member

I find those borders of Virginia oddly satisfying

BippyTheGuy and Falkanner like this.