Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many polities for that. Dogscape humanity was just a bunch of hunter-gatherers, weren't they? Wasn't human society was destroyed by the spreading dogs dogscape.

Whatever it is, it made me think of this section from Psalm 22, the one that starts with "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" I just heard it last week in church, and all the mention of dogs stood out to me:

16 Dogs surround me,
a pack of villains encircles me;
they pierce my hands and my feet.

20 Deliver me from the sword,
my precious life from the power of the dogs.

Edit: Source is New International Version via Bible Gateway, retrieved from https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+22&version=NIV.

After an enjoyable Easter holiday in the Low Countries, I felt inspired to make another map.
The PoD is Spinola's continued command of the Army of Flanders which results in a stronger Habsburg Netherlands. In the truce agreed on between the Dutch and Spaniards, all of Brabant, Limburg and Flanders remain in Catholic hands. Shortly thereafter, the Bishopric of Liege is placed under direct rule from Brussels by the newly appointed vice-roy Ambrosio Spinola.

This is a great day for maps!

I suspect this isn't going to be a lasting settlement...the French aren't going to be happy with this, either.

Another Fashions Made Sacred map. Please go read the story (the thread the quote links to) if this interests you, it's a fantastic take on the narrative AH concept.

The cartographical journey continues, this time something I'm sure you've all been waiting for: Europe. As usual, @Ciclavex should be asked questions about the content as the author of the TL.

attachment.php

Last edited:
KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

How do you know fire is still possible :p

My lord. Cthulhu, might that be you?

Cthulu Fthagln Ryleh!

Do you have a GIF?

Also one of those wormholes/black holes/whatever the hell it is above Asia looks like a polar bear with large sunglasses on.

Nah, it's just from Deep Dream.

Lol, it's like watching clouds.

Dogscape?

What's that?

I- I believe this is a map we enjoyed a while back, featuring a world shared between Bulgaria, Spain, and Japan. and the Kazakh border

Yup!

orwelans II

Banned
mep.png

This is a map I made quite a while ago for a setting circa 25 years into the future. The central focus of the story (which I never got to developing too far) would be a war in the Pacific, resulting in a Chinese invasion of Japan.

Latin America, Africa and Europe are all nice and peachy with little conflict within their quasi-federations and vibrant trade.
Russia expanded, because of course it did. The dark red states are it's puppets and allies. The grey area in the middle of Ukraine is held by a local warlord. He talks big talk about regaining land from Russia all the way to the Caspian, but is dependant on Russian trade and support. The Russians back him because they want as much buffer as they can have between themselves and their European allies.

The purple-coloured state between Turkey and Egypt is the Levantine Republic. A very diverse place where all sorts of ethnic and religious groups live in democratic pluralism. The black country next to it is the Arab Islamic Republic (sunni) and the green one is the AIR's sworn enemy the Islamic Republic of Arabia (shia).
The brown thing is a federation of remaining Gulf monarchies and the dark red one are Yemen's commie remains.

The light purple countries in Asia are China's undisputed sphere of influence.
The green ones in the US are not independent yet, but their independence referendums trigger the main story of the crisis in the Pacific since the US will soon find itself unable to project power in the region.

Feel free to ask for any clarifications you want.

After something like six months, I finally decided to update one of my major timelines. Please, enjoy! :D

The Confederation of May

The beginnings of the Confederation of May happened long before any contact by Europeans. Before union, the May (or Mayans) were divided into of dozens of little tribes, and they weren't just in May; Mayan civilization can be found in modern Haut-Adalie [1], Nouv-England [2], and even in southern Ashoqua [3]. The anti-colonial spirit of these indigenous remnants was embodied in the rebellious Kingdom of Utatlan, which refused vassalisation by both France and England, until it was eventually taken over by a freed Adalie in 1908. But, for the most part, most action took place on the Galopin (Yucatan) Peninsula, where Mayan culture always thrived.

The first explorer of the Galopin Peninsula was said to have been from an envoy sent by the Kingdom of Súþdælgeard some time in the early-1200's. A message from an old diary, probably from the captain of the ship, translated to this:

"After sailing for two days, we reached an isle we christened Eegelwin [4] after his majesty. As we pulled our great ship to the land in close sight, the natives called for us, and gave us presents, as they believed us to be gods. We dined on a feast of rice and cassava, and set off two days later, continuing our exploration as ordered. The voyage was rough, but we sailed for three days and four nights and landed on a land one of the crewmates christened Hálga Baldehuia [5]. The natives were hostile to us, and we knew they were more advanced than the people on the isle Eegelwin. After we offered them gold, they took us to the city of Sawam [6], and we departed with great riches bestowed upon us by the king there."

Though a product of its time, the record remains as the first contact by Europeans with the native May civilization. Though some claim the story, and the entire diary it was a part of, was a forgery created in the 19th century, most historians believe it to be legitimate. However, there were no records written of contact with "Hálga Baldehuia", except for a brief mention in the Epic of Frithugeorn the Great, where it mentions the main character seeing a sight as "gold as the pyramids of Sawam". The next verified European to contact the May was a Scandinavian explorer by the name of Otto Isometsä. During the initial colonization of Fennica (the Caribbean), Isometsä was sent to survey the lands to the west, and landed near the modern-day city of Xicharet. Ill-prepared for hostile contact, he fled after having his life threatened, and told the Scandinavian governor to leave the Mayans to themselves. It wasn't until after the sale of Fennica to England that another exploratory group was sent out.

By 1610, the May were well-aware of, and militarized against, the European colonizers. The Ashoqui (Aztec) Empire was in the process of falling to the French, and they knew they were next. So, in the Summer of 1611, when an English explorer named Gaël Galopin approached the king in Chicheen Itsha (Chichen Itza), he decided to make a decision that might have represented the antithesis of Mayan society at the time. Instead of siccing his legions on the explorer and his team of soldiers, he decided to hear them out. Galopin promised protection in exchange for gold and a unified ally on the "Galopin" peninsula. He said he'd provide the king with an army large enough to take over all his enemies, and confederate the peninsula. By the winter, Galopin had made good on his word, and by 1617, Mayan civlization back to the Big Mountains (Cuchumatanes) was under the rule of Chicheen Itsha.

Things remained similarly for the next two centuries. The so-called "Empire of May" gave England a penance in gold, and they sent them armies to defend their borders. The emperors of May were clever, in that a unified Mayan identity was fostered over the 18th and 19th centuries. Although the emperor himself was accepting backhanded deals with imperial powers, the people believed that May was a resisting against the evil English and French colonizing states. In their anger, instead of being mad at Chicheen Itsha for taking over their city, they became angry at the Europeans for encroaching on their native land. The only other surviving Mayan state was Utatlan, which the emperors didn't want to take over as it was very resistant to foreign rule, and it would also be hard to hold as it was mostly in the mountains.

Eventually, the people realized that the emperor was on the side of the Europeans they had been led to hate, and they turned on him. A revolution, supported by French troops, formed a democratic republic. The so-called Insurrection of Cilvituuk (1819-1824) is considered as part of the Litirlandi Revolution, a period of democratic and anti-colonial revolution in the New World. The new Confederation of May devolved itself into states, and elected a leader by using an Althing not far from the methods of Scandinavia. They were puppetized, and nearly taken over by, both Britain and France, and a brief invasion by Adalie in 1911 shook the state to its core. Although it was a large exporter of gold throughout the 19th century, after the need for gold dried up, embargoes were put on May by European countries attempting to get the small nation to submit to colonial rule. Because of this, a period in the mid-1900's lead to further anti-European settlement, which in turn lead to isolationism, which lead to a collapse of the Mayan economy. During this time, they adopted the native name of Miyaipa to describe themselves. Eventually, after intervention by neighboring states, there was a regime installed that was more friendly to the rest of the world. Nowadays, the Mayans are attempting to rebuild themselves, find a national identity once again, while hopefully finding a way to push away imperialist powers once and for all.
[1] - Northern Central America
[2] - Costa Rica and Nicaragua
[3] - Mexico
[4] - Most historians think that it refers to the western portion of Fennica (Cuba)
[5] - Believed to be a name for the Galopin Peninsula
[6] - A bastardization of the name Xicaambi, presumably

4LHTIg7.png

Was clearing out my bookmarks and found these old maps for North Yemen, East Asia/Oceania, and Tibet. Can't remember what I why I had them saved but here they are in case anyone else can get a use out of thme:
yemen-sana.jpg

easia_oceania_92.jpg

tibet-travel-map.jpg

Jcw3

Banned
TGFvFCT.png

Reposting this map, but with a write-up this time.

God’s America: 2028

Increased civil rights-inspired violence in the 1960s led to the rise of a more secure conservative movement, built around the Christian faith and the implementation of what they perceived as traditional Christian values. In 1978, the first Christian Right President was elected. In 1983, abortion was illegalized, sodomy in 1985. In 1990, NATO was disbanded, godless Europe a useless anchor in the eyes of Washington. In 1992, the Democratic Party was illegalized due to suspected foreign influence. And now, in the modern day of November 2028, the state of Nebraska’s regulations against women wearing shoes without the written permission of their husband, father or fiance has reached its ten year anniversary.

The honeymoon period of the so-called God’s America is long-since over. The rise of the InterSys, a global computer-based computer network, has led to existing discontent being pushed to the forefront, and President Wayne is increasingly concerned with even traditionally loyal Christian bastions growing cold to the Christian Cabinet’s decisions.

Across the sea, America lies forgotten, the disputes of the Soviet Union and China taking precedent in geopolitics, with Europe, West Africa, and Latin America forming their own power blocs to defend against foreign encroachment. This is the world of God’s America, fifty years after America changed irrevocably, from a democratic state to a theocratic nightmare.

The United States
*Despite everything, the United States of America remains the predominant power on the North American continent, and potentially, both American continents. Its military has decayed, as has its power projection capabilities, the reach of the United States more focused on rooting out degeneracy within, but the United States maintains bases in Mexico, Australia, Guyana, Panama, and the Cape Republic.
*But rather than having a military strong enough to counter either of the two superpowers, the United States military is more of an intelligence service than anything else. The InterSys, while commonly seen worldwide as a way for progress to spread unbeknownst to oppressive regimes, is commonly used by the FBI as a way to root out dissidents, and either disappear them or jail them.
*While technology as a whole is roughly around OTL late 2000s levels, the security apparatus of the United States is easily the most advanced network of the nation. The Tsar would be proud of what God’s America has accomplished. The cities are rife with bugs and cameras, and over two million work for the Needle’s Eye, a branch of the FBI dedicated to observing and monitoring the United States population for threats.
*This is why rural areas have increasingly become a refuge for those seeking to escape Washington’s watch. The Wyoming and Montana National Guards, in 2022, burned down most of Yellowstone fighting against a communist insurgent group, most of whom originated from California, Washington, and New York.
*The Christian Cabinet, the term for the President, Vice President, and their selection of ten to twenty men from around the country who oversee the country and ensure that purity of heart and body prevails, are increasingly corporate men, and the towns and cities of America are increasingly corporate towns.
*When the Godless Fuckers, a leftist insurgent group based out of New Jersey, were rooted out and interrogated by National Guardsmen, it was discovered most were radicalized not because of secularism, but because they lived in corporate towns, earning corporate money usable only in their town, and were dependent entirely on the whims of higher management hundreds of miles away for survival.
*As a whole, the Christian Cabinet is also white supremacist. Only three nonwhite men and one woman have served on the Cabinet in its existence since 1989, and they have consistently ordered attacks against urban blacks and minorities above all other targets.
*The phrase ‘panther’, a slur used in similar tones to ‘thug’ in our world, commonly refers to the Free Black Panthers, a collection of disparate groups throughout the United States all funded by the Soviets, Chinese, or in many cases, both. The FBP are losing the war, however, and have been driven out of the cities into the wilds, where most of their number are uncomfortable.
*Efforts to align with their racial brethren in the South have largely been unsuccessful, the Baptist churches in the South being considered the good ones as long as they keep their mouths shut, and the tendencies of the FBP to be Muslims have also hampered efforts in that regard.
*Panthers have been increasingly radicalized by sharing rooms (TTL term for social media and chat rooms), as well as the escalation of attacks against their communities in the cities as the Cabinet grows bolder. This does not change the fact that while their numbers may be growing, their position isn’t. The United States government has made a decision to force blacks out of the cities en masse, and while Washington’s military may not be as suited for foreign adventures as it once was, it can still more than handle a direct conflict with barely trained guerrillas.
*Which is unfortunate for them, as there are plenty of Soviet and Chinese agents in the Rockies and Appalachians who are all too happy to train communist groups, communism a very popular ideology among counter regime citizens.
*Around thirty to forty million Americans have fled the country, with nine million currently living Canada. We’ll talk about ‘expats’ later.
*Romantic relationships between individuals of the same sex is forbidden by law, as is ‘cross-dressing’, or expression of a transgender identity. Hawaii, however, is infamously lax on enforcing these rulings, and many rural areas tend to overlook such things as long as you’re quiet about it. The cities, due to the direct clash between the two viewpoints, have actually become more intolerant than the rural areas in many cases.
*Pop culture is very propaganda-y. Think God’s Not Dead meets Avatar for most movies, except Quaritch would be a firm Protestant, and the protagonist.
*Utah is essentially an independent nation, Washington content to leave them alone as long as they pay taxes and keep their Mormonism behind their borders. A safe haven for gays and the like, but federal investigators know this, and keep plenty of sniffers in Provorem and Salt Lake.
*The Lakota Autonomous Native Reserve is the site of government purging of native citizens, most of whom are members of leftist supremacist groups, or so Washington says. Truth be told, they make a convenient target, and help to bolster the narrative that only WASPs can be trusted to be good Americans.
*There is a Hawaiian Independence Party, that Washington is sort of considering sponsoring as they did Puerto Rico. Hawaii has never been enthusiastic about the Christian Right, and most of them are nonwhite, so no real loss to America, the Cabinet thinks.
*The cities of New York City, Chicago, and San Francisco are treated as direct non-voting autonomous zones while communist groups are rooted out, which has been ongoing for years now. Washington, however, considers it a success, and is expanding the program to Houston, Boston, Los Angeles, San Diego, and several others. It’s believed by foreign observers that this might be the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

North America
*Canada’s still a liberal democracy, and has legalized gay marriage (2018) and abortion remains legal in many places. Wealthy Americans fly to Canada for exactly that purpose on many occasions.
*Nine million people of American descent (either foreign born or first gen) live in Canada. The polite term for them is expat, if you want to avoid offending Washington. Refugee, however, is a vastly more appropriate term.
*Canada’s been in an ongoing moral crisis. On the one hand, America’s a theocratic despotate. On the other, they’re Canada’s biggest trading partner, most culturally similar nation, and could crush them like a bug in a fight. They’ve elected to continue taking America’s refuse (one man’s trash is another man’s treasure, Prime Minister Barrister says in glowing terms of the expats) while being exceedingly polite whenever a member of the Cabinet stops by.
*Puerto Rico declared independence. Washington let it go, seeing fewer brown people under their watch as a massive gain.
*Mexico was invaded and occupied by the United States in the 1990s, as the cartels became a convenient target for a United States that needed a foreign enemy to smash as a distraction. The Catholic Right (as outside observers call them) government that rules Mexico is much more reasonable than the Christian Right that dominates America, but it doesn’t make them too much nicer.
*The United States military still occupies most of Northern Mexico, to prevent it being used as a place for wanted dissidents to flee to the nations of the Santiago Compact, also because bombing the shit out of Mexican villages is more palatable to the public than wrecking a major American city.
*Native insurgents making themselves a nuisance in Southern Mexico.
*Cuba, Guatemala, Salvador, Nicaragua, the Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico are all proud members of the Santiago Compact, and like most states on the continent, terrified of America.
*Cuba was originally a Soviet client in the twentieth century, but the increasing Soviet desire for a detente with America as China became more of a threat led to them being hung out to dry, and when searching for an ally, they found that their best bet was Brazil. The Castros are long dead, but the government which stands in Havana today can still legitimately claim lineage from them.
*Panama’s another Catholic Right state, albeit one that doesn’t do much more than occasionally shoot communist degenerates for appearance’s sake or to advance the career of a lower-ranking military fellow. It’s essentially a junta with theocratic trappings.
*Bermuda was once the ideal place for many Americans to escape to Britain, until London cut off the flow of refugees.
*The Soviets deny the hurtful rumors that they have nukes in Greenland.

South America
*Brazil initially founded the Santiago Compact as an economic alliance and a way to try and make an attempt at South American unity in the face of foreign interference, but it quickly evolved into a strong military alliance and one of the best examples of supranational unions on this world.
*Founded by Brazil, Chile, Bolivia, and Uruguay, it quickly grew in influence as both Brazil and its subordinates integrated fleeing American and Mexican intellectuals. Brazil now has three carriers, and is not afraid to show them off.
*Word is that Argentina is finally swallowing its pride and considering joining, which will mean a dramatic boost in the Compact’s power, and might start a domino effect in Central America. Opinions in Santiago are divided as to whether that’s worth annoying America or not, but since it’s been decades since America has done anything outside of its own continent, many are willing to risk it.
*The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela is a left-populist dictatorship of ill repute, and it doesn’t even deny that it evicted many Guyanese after its short war and annexation of claimed territory. The remnant state, traumatized and scared, didn’t exactly like inviting in the Americans and moderating their social mores, but the alternative seemed worse.
*Venezuela might actually get itself involved with a nuclear war with the United States if they keep going down this path. Their leader, a brash young charismatic tinpot dictator, is convinced that the United States poses no military threat. He’s right. It’s just the tiny problem that because of that, the US will be more willing to resort to a nuclear attack if its military personnel in Guyana are attacked.
*President Wayne is probably very pissed that his predecessors decided to intervene in Guyana.
*Surinamese independence was a more temporary thing in this timeline, due to fears of Brazilian or American dominance and economic problems, and the nation, like its eastern neighbor, is a proud member of the European Union. French Guiana is more autonomous than OTL, but still pretty fiercely pro-European.
*Argentina occasionally looks over at the Falklands wistfully, and London occasionally considers selling them, but the optics of displacing three thousand people for the whims of a Latin American state aren’t pleasing to 10 Downing.

Europe
*In the absence of the United States, the states of Western Europe were forced to huddle together to defend themselves against the encroaching bear, and even after being abandoned by Britain, Denmark, Greece and Finland, for differing reasons to be explained later, they managed to keep united, in spite of it all.
*In the modern day of 2028, the European Union is creeping closer and closer to federalization, with the states of the Union (France, Wallonia, Flanders, Brussels, Luxembourg, Holland, West Germany, Italy, Malta, Norway, and Sweden) adopting similar laws and regulations for the free travel zone within themselves.
*The EU as a whole is paranoid, militaristic, but would never sink as low as the United States. The six million American ‘expats’ living in Europe would revolt if that came to pass.
*Europe demands that its member states pay ten percent of their annual budget to funding the joint military, and an additional six percent or so to support Union activities, internal or external. This, along with the Soviets weighing down the scales, was what drew Denmark, Greece and Finland to the Warsaw Pact, and drove away the Brits to reluctant neutrality.
*The United Kingdom is lonely. The Americans and Australians are nuts, the Canadians and New Zealanders spend most of their time shivering in the corner out of panic, the Europeans are snooty and demanding, and the commies are commies. Their Christian Right party would disagree with the first statement, however, and they’re gaining in the polls as moral panic over porn addiction becomes prominent in British society.
*Unlike the American Christian Right, however, the British movement is much more homegrown and grassroots. Should the Christian Right come to power, they’ll be every bit as racist and nationalist, but they’ll be much less likely to create a corporate state.
*The Troubles ended with most of Ulster being transferred to Ireland, in a conclusion that has, in hindsight, angered more people than it pleased, and made Ireland a fair bit worse off.
*Iceland’s a fairly boring state with plans to run to the Europeans if America or Russia try anything stupid.
*Poland’s a rising power within the Warsaw Pact, which concerns Moscow, as it’s one of their core clients in Eastern Europe, and if they start thinking independently, it could be bad.
*Yugoslavia fell apart. Most of it’s still under Soviet domination, but the theocrats in Bosnia are looking to change that.
*The Soviet Union is a lot more socially liberal than in OTL, and it, as well as the PRC, has quite a few more American refugees than you might think.

Middle East
*The Soviets sponsored a Kurdish uprising in the 1990s. Plans to make it an SSR were widely dismissed, as that would trigger tensions with Turkey, and would create problems Moscow didn’t want to have to deal with.
*Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Sudan, and Jordan have their own little regional alliance, the Arab Union. Friendlier with Israel than you might think, and freer than you might think to boot.
*Speaking of Israel, guess where the American Jews went! Yes, the Palestinians have mostly been kicked out to Jordan by now, and Israel’s having fun experimenting with vertical farming and social engineering to better address its new overpopulation concerns.
*The Maghrebi states also have their own power bloc to resist European or Soviet encroachment. They’re all doing about the same as in OTL. Nothing too interesting there.
*China nabbed Soqotra after a Yemeni civil war. The Soviets have decried this blatant imperialism, and they of course say this while they maintain territory stolen from Afghanistan.

Africa
*Ghana portrayed itself as a place for American blacks to escape to freedom, and still does so to this day. It might be one of the contributing roles to their rise as an economic giant on the continent, and increasingly, the world. Their West African Community is one of the fastest growing communities in the world, and their friendly relations with Europe and the Compact, the dominant capitalist economies of the world, can only help that.
*Sudan fell apart ages ago, and the Arab Union is growing fed up of propping up Khartoum for no gain.
*Darfour is just trying to get the world to forget about it.
*The East African Union, a loose union between Ethiopia, Kenya, and Somalia, is a Chinese experiment in pan-Africanism. All three have radically different internal governments (all leftist and nationalist, but the similarities end there), but their foreign policy is decided in meetings of the three nations. Trying to create a revolution in Sudan, only succeeding in killing warlords and annoying the locals.
*Nigeria lost the Islamic North and Biafra in a disastrous civil war in the 1980s, but has since recovered, and is the second strongest economy in the West African Community.
*The Congo is working hard to develop as a nation, and the Sino-Soviet competition, for once, is actually helping them develop, as both work to woo the potentially powerful ally. The warlords in the north are largely homegrown.
*Cabinda is an integral part of Portugal, says Lisbon. Angola hopes to change that, and China is happy to funnel them guns for that purpose.
*The Zimbabwean communist dictatorship has no friends and its population is starving.
*Most of the Tutsis in Rwanda are dead.
*South Africa had an apartheid regime until 2004, and it ended rather explosively, with the Soviet inspired leftist revolution resulting in massacres against the white and Indian population. The Cape Republic managed to hold its own with Anglo-American support, and the Free South African People’s Republics lost their public Sino-Soviet support after the news of the concentration camps came out. They’re still pretty bad, though.
*Natal is trying to keep afloat, and looking to the Compact as a potential sponsor.
*The Cape Republic one of few Afro-Eurasian states the United States is interested in. Washington hopes to use the capital of the white refugees to support its own economy and fight against panthers and other dissidents.

Asia/Oceania
*Iran won a series of wars with Iraq, and is looking to supplant the local powers there. They’re a bog standard theodemocracy, not too much better than OTL, but they put on a socialist paintjob so the Soviets will support them.
*The Soviets spent decades in a disastrous war in Afghanistan, that ended with a shit ton of ethnic cleansing and territorial rearrangement.
*Pakistan and India, as in OTL, tried to get nuclear weapons. Moscow and Beijing told them in no uncertain terms that they would use preemptive strikes on any nuclear programs they attempted.
*Pakistan is firmly in the Soviet SoI, but the Chinese and Soviets are enjoying a bit of a political proxy conflict in India. There’s regularly violence in the street between sponsored Sino-Soviet leftists.
*The Kims are dead, and Korea is now ruled by a military dictatorship that has reunited the nation. More well-run than you’d think, and while the South is worse off than OTL, the North is way better.
*Japan isn’t a Chinese client state, but their economy is entirely subordinate to them these days.
*Taiwan didn’t have much of a choice but to rejoin China.
*Acehnese independence was a Chinese project to attempt to destabilize Indonesia, a capitalist power of some import in Oceania. It was largely a success in that Aceh is independent, as is Western New Guinea, but Indonesia’s still kicking, and now they’re pissed at China. They don’t have anyone sensible to turn too, though, unfortunately.
*French Polynesia declared independence ages ago, and functions as a rather decent tourist trap.
*Australia fell down the same rabbit hole as the Americans. Not a very nice place.

Great map! Where did you get the idea for the triangle graph!? It's genius!
Honestly I think I just found a map which used it while I was googling religious maps of Africa - but I'm happy to take the credit, ha ha!
Fantabulous! An only partially colonized Africa? Interesting, and so much detail...this is definitely going in my "great maps" folder!
Thank you! It was partly inspired by past discussions on this site about how the Scramble for Africa could have been averted or replaced with a struggle for influence with native rulers. Before I started researching stuff for this map, I had no idea there was so much going on in 19th century Africa - the Luba and Lunda states in central Africa, the Great Lakes kingdoms, the rise of new Western African kingdoms.

After something like six months, I finally decided to update one of my major timelines. Please, enjoy! :D
Nice! I love the name 'May' - so simple and it feels real. Can I ask how you made the topographic layer - are you tracing a basemap?

Nice! I love the name 'May' - so simple and it feels real. Can I ask how you made the topographic layer - are you tracing a basemap?
Thank you! :D And yeah, I was tracing a basemap. Basically, after I traced the coastline and the lakes in separate layers, I created a bunch of fill layers. For the first fill layer I just filled in every little swath of land. For the second fill layer, I traced the elevation, then took off the stroke and filled it in with a color that looked good. Repeat for the rest of the layers, one on top of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.