Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks very favorable to Republicans as many, if not most, of the new states are in territories which they dominate. So they pick up +2 votes (Senators) for all the new states, and a lot of new House seats, such as in Alaska.

Well, I suppose the composition, distribution and demographics of Republican voters being exactly the same as OTL is no more improbable than all those states, some of which border on jokes (or are bordered by them :p ), coming into existence.

Did this for the map contest ("Do a Draka", basically) but ran out of time. I was going to give a writeup, but it's basically the Paraguay Jesuits (thanks to a friendly official) get wind early of the Spanish plans to expel them from Spanish America, a charismatic leader (who has spent the last couple decades reforming the heck out of the place) arises who refuses to see the good works they have done come to naught, rebellion, repression, guerilla warfare, and after "40 years in the wilderness" what moves into the power vacuum caused by the invasion of Spain by Napoleon (or alt-Napoleon, you butterfly purists) is a theocratic army-state and a distinctly militant attitude towards the outside world. They mellow a bit over time, but remain authoritarian, super-Christian, armed to the teeth, and very big on large families. Expansion is aided by the fact there is no movement of the Portuguese monarchy to Brazil, so there is a Brazilian revolutionary period, which results in the disintegration of Portuguese America into multiple quarreling smaller states...

HolyParaguay.png

Patriotic music plays in the background. A logo comes up: United Timelines Defense Force. A burly man walks on stage,boots clopping on the floor of the studio hard, as if he could not turn off his military march.

"As many of you know, at 1:19pm on April 24th, Timeline Irt1Nap1Hun1Col1Guf1FPW1EWO1TOV0::QQK5113 was attacked by a large and malevolent force. Our reports so far state that they have control of all of the world, though we have gotten very few reports so far. A large number of civilians have been evacuated to the Hub, but so far the military force we sent into this world has come up missing.

We are aware that some have stated rumors that this was some kind of ASB "hiveworld," and that we are about to be attacked again. I assure you that this is false. The ASB menace has been confined to their home triad, and we have had no reports of any other incursions by the ASB menace since then. However, we have recalled our exploration fleets in case there has been a breech.

In the meantime, we urge you to stay calm, and to stop spreading these rumors. Even if the ASB have returned, we have far updated our technology to the point in which we could defeat them handedly. We still are at a heightened state of alert, ju-"

Suddenly, a man in all black whispers into the general's ear.

"We have just gotten a report that a drone has radioed in a map. We expect to see that nothing has changed, and that we will be able to reestablish contact with this world. Okay, the map is coming up now."

The map shows up on the screen. It writhes and almost seems sentient, to the point that a low "reeeee" can be heard eminating from it. Suddenly, the camera goes out, though the sound remains.

"Kill this planet now! It's too late for the! Summon- My God!"

oYiZoYq.png

Jcw3

Banned
Patriotic music plays in the background. A logo comes up: United Timelines Defense Force. A burly man walks on stage,boots clopping on the floor of the studio hard, as if he could not turn off his military march.

These are always fun. +1.

"As many of you know, at 1:19pm on April 24th, Timeline Irt1Nap1Hun1Col1Guf1FPW1EWO1TOV0::QQK5113 was attacked by a large and malevolent force. Our reports so far state that they have control of all of the world, though we have gotten very few reports so far. A large number of civilians have been evacuated to the Hub, but so far the military force we sent into this world has come up missing.

We are aware that some have stated rumors that this was some kind of ASB "hiveworld," and that we are about to be attacked again. I assure you that this is false. The ASB menace has been confined to their home triad, and we have had no reports of any other incursions by the ASB menace since then. However, we have recalled our exploration fleets in case there has been a breech.

In the meantime, we urge you to stay calm, and to stop spreading these rumors. Even if the ASB have returned, we have far updated our technology to the point in which we could defeat them handedly. We still are at a heightened state of alert, ju-"

"We have just gotten a report that a drone has radioed in a map. We expect to see that nothing has changed, and that we will be able to reestablish contact with this world. Okay, the map is coming up now."

The map shows up on the screen. It writhes and almost seems sentient, to the point that a low "reeeee" can be heard eminating from it. Suddenly, the camera goes out, though the sound remains.

oYiZoYq.png
My lord. Cthulhu, might that be you?

Ooooh. Link to the blog?

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thennholdfair - The original statement is a bit off, and the stuff in the pipes is a little softer than just evidence based conjectures, especially given the slow pace of TWOW

Nice. Although to be entirely fair, if we're talking internal threats to Westeros' survival, pretty much every single noble castle, palace, etc. should have it's own label, "assholes here." :)

...yeah...

Nice job, it looks very professional. Sometime I want to make a speculative map of ethno-linguistic groups in ASOIAF. I'll try to be faithful to GRRM on the broad strokes, but I might extrapolate for some of the finer details. Since we here a lot about historical migrations in the series, it would be interesting to speculate about how those migrations have affected present-day demographics.

Admittedly, as GRRM crafts it, the continent isn't too very diverse in terms of demographics, but I'd like to see what you do with what he has

Vuru

Banned

oYiZoYq.png

Call the ranger, Shub-Niggurath is back

I'll be living there for 2 years, and so felt compelled to make a nice Samoa-wank before I go

Serving a mission for my church. Sadly, no computers allowed, so... no maps for me for 2 years :frown:
I'm a non-member LDS spouse. The missionaries in DC North all have iPads and we have an elder who served at the Family History Mission in Salt Lake City and worked with the digitizing at the Granite Mountain Records vault. So some missionaries do get computers, just not those heading to Samoa. :)

When do you report to the MTC?

And as an American Missionary in Samoa, will you wear trousers or not?

Last edited:
When are you leaving? :O
July 26th
I'm a non-member LDS spouse. The missionaries in DC North all have iPads and we have an elder who served at the Family History Mission in Salt Lake City and worked with the digitizing at the Granite Mountain Records vault. So some missionaries do get computers, just not those heading to Samoa. :)

When do you report to the MTC?

And as an American Missionary in Samoa, will you wear trousers or not?
July 26th, and I get to wear pants (trousers, to you, I suppose [britain?]) but I'm also allowed to wear the native lava lava.

Nice! I like how the biggest dog-face-thing is in central Siberia, making it seem like that's the capital or brain of the world. I'm going to have nightmares about this!

africa___smaller_by_banananaise-db72jk8.png

(Full-sized version HERE)

MNM
ONLINE NEWS SERVICE - Peace agreement reached between Mocambique government and the SFN... Details to come... - updated 21h32 5/12/2006

The Benin City Convention of 2006 is a fresh attempt to ease the Shona separatist conflict in Moçambique, through an agreement to establish an autonomous region in Monomotapa in exchange for a promise from the SFN to give up arms.
An era of hope seems to be dawning in Africa, as countries like East Africa, Ethiopia, and Yorubaland are on the cusp of an economic rebirth after decades of stagnation and civil conflict. Cities such as Nairobi, Addis Abeba and Lagos are ready to debut on the global stage, and tourists flock to cities such as Mombasa, Majunga, and Mogador.
Religious, ethnic and ideological conflict, as always, is still threatening to rear its head. The Azande and Banda independence movements have once again erupted into open war against the Congolese government, and Hausaland is struggling to deal with Christian ethnic minorities in the Niger river valley, along its southern border. The Nile-Chad Forum is threatening to tear itself apart over the wave of anti-Egyptian conservative Islamic populists in the Chadian states, a wave fuelled by the Christian refugees fleeing from the Northern Congo.
European presence in Africa is a permanent controversy. France is entering a new debate over their relationship with Gabon, which is preparing to go to the polls over independence for the third time. Numidia, Libya and Cyrenaica are appealing for European aid in dealing with terrorist activities in the desert regions, the violent expression of the old ethnic divide between European-descended Christian people, and pre-colonial Muslim people.

-

Giant map coming your way! Making this was an ordeal. I somehow chose a basemap with a projection no other map uses, which made things difficult. This means you may be able to see faint OTL borders in the background - I decided the map looks better with a very faint relief map in the background, but it came with some borders because of the basemap.
At a certain point I got bored of endless internal borders and city naming, so I decided to make an inset for the former colonial powers... then there was all this white space, so I had to make some more insets to fill it up, and then I had a few more inset ideas, and it got out of control. This probably made my file size issues a lot worse.
There are a few things about the map I'm not 100% certain with - the abundance of French overseas territories, independent and divided Libya, subnational divisions in East Africa and Mozambique, all the supranational unions. I guess that's what the development process is for!
The enduring French Gabon is inspired by 'Union Travail Justice' by Jonathan Edelstein, a great mini-TL on this site!
Feedback or questions welcome! I'm pretty tired so I have no idea if what I've written here makes any sense. Next time I should try something more... compact.

Last edited:
snip
(Full-sized version HERE)

MNM
ONLINE NEWS SERVICE - Peace agreement reached between Mocambique government and the SFN... Details to come... - updated 21h32 5/12/2006

The Benin City Convention of 2006 is a fresh attempt to ease the Shona separatist conflict in Moçambique, through an agreement to establish an autonomous region in Monomotapa in exchange for a promise from the SFN to give up arms.
An era of hope seems to be dawning in Africa, as countries like East Africa, Ethiopia, and Yorubaland are on the cusp of an economic rebirth after decades of stagnation and civil conflict. Cities such as Nairobi, Addis Abeba and Lagos are ready to debut on the global stage, and tourists flock to cities such as Mombasa, Majunga, and Mogador.
Religious, ethnic and ideological conflict, as always, is still threatening to rear its head. The Azande and Banda independence movements have once again erupted into open war against the Congolese government, and Hausaland is struggling to deal with Christian ethnic minorities in the Niger river valley, along its southern border. The Nile-Chad Forum is threatening to tear itself apart over the wave of anti-Egyptian conservative Islamic populists in the Chadian states, a wave fuelled by the Christian refugees fleeing from the Northern Congo.
European presence in Africa is a permanent controversy. France is entering a new debate over their relationship with Gabon, which is preparing to go to the polls over independence for the third time. Numidia, Libya and Cyrenaica are appealing for European aid in dealing with terrorist activities in the desert regions, the violent expression of the old ethnic divide between European-descended Christian people, and pre-colonial Muslim people.

-

Giant map coming your way! Making this was an ordeal. I somehow chose a basemap with a projection no other map uses, which made things difficult. This means you may be able to see faint OTL borders in the background - I decided the map looks better with a very faint relief map in the background, but it came with some borders because of the basemap.
At a certain point I got bored of endless internal borders and city naming, so I decided to make an inset for the former colonial powers... then there was all this white space, so I had to make some more insets to fill it up, and then I had a few more inset ideas, and it got out of control. This probably made my file size issues a lot worse.
There are a few things about the map I'm not 100% certain with - the abundance of French overseas territories, independent and divided Libya, subnational divisions in East Africa and Mozambique, all the supranational unions. I guess that's what the development process is for!
The enduring French Gabon is inspired by 'Union Travail Justice' by Jonathan Edelstein, a great mini-TL on this site!
Feedback or questions welcome! I'm pretty tired so I have no idea if what I've written here makes any sense. Next time I should try something more... compact.
How did you learn how to make such amazing maps? :O This is amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.