Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nightrise Short: Venice's Heir
North_Italy_1880.png

The recent developments in North Italy have aroused concern in the neighboring nations France, Vatican and Sicily.
The King of Savoy-Piedmont has offered the union with the Eight Vampire Republics when they would allow their current Heir to be engaged with him. The goal: to press the Northern Greater German Kaiserreich to release the Strings over the Papal States they gained in the Demonic Revolutionary Wars. The first steps to achieve the Italian Irredentist unity is to press Germany to release the Vatican Exclave Nordtoskana and transfer it to the planned Nort Italian State. Further plans include the remilitarization of the Vampire Republic of Venice, the annexation of the Mandate of the Podelta, and the unification of Italy by attacking the Vatican and Sicily, and to demand South Tyrol, Küstenland, Slovenia and Dalmatia.
The further development after 1896 allowed the Transfer of Nordtoskana to Northern Italy, however the implies to violently unite the Italian Penisula has resulted in the fortification of the Vatican States 1902-1907, The Triester Doktrin (Triest Doctrin) in 1908 which expelled most Italians from German Border regions in Tyrol, Küstenland and Dalmatia; and a period of North Italian Isolation erected by France, Germany, Sicily, San Marino, Malta, Vatican and Spain.

---
Part of this Timeline
Triester_Doktrin.png

Trieste Doctrine 1908
"Expulsion of Italians from the Border regions of the German Kaiserreich and the Mandate of Podelta due to the ital. Irredentism plus the Resettlement of these Regions by Germans and Slovenes."

Irredentist_Italy.png

Italy according to the Italian Irredentism after the Demonic Revolutionary Wars.

The Triester Doktrin (Doktrina v Trstu, Dottrina di Trieste, Trieste Doctrine) is a law enacted in 1908 by the German Kaiser which expelled most Italians from Tyrol, Littoral and the German-governed Mandate Podelta. It is generally known as the only major decision made by Germany that discriminated or expelled an ethnic group and is widely considered as the only German crime against humanitarian ideals.
Actually, Italians weren't all expelled, but rather set before a decision: either accept the German dominance, stay and get assimilated into the German population, or leave Germany and resettle in Italy.
The Doctrine was enacted on 27th July 1908 as a reaction of the Aggressive expansionist policies of Northern Italy to achieve the Italian Irredentist expansion.
Not only the German Kaiserreich, but also the Werebeast Principality of Sicily, the Yōkai Teikoku and the Free Reaper States of America have heavily criticized the Nationalist-Fascist Ideals of the Republic of Piedmont-Veneto.

What can I say, I'm Scottish :p

I didn't think those first few things required much explanation, but I'm happy to elaborate!

The war involving Russia were a result of the tensions between the EU and Russia escalating further. In a sense, the Ukrainian conflict was a proxy war between EU/NATO and Russia. These are just more iterations of the same phenomenon, coupled with persistent instability in Ukraine and Belarus. Ultimately, there isn't much gain for the EU in nuking Russia for taking part of Belarus, Ukraine, and Transnistria, when significant parts of the population actually want to be Russian anyway. It's much more in their interest to come to the solution they came to, which was to partition them, and now there's a nice, big, stable, functional buffer Poland between the two. Geopolitically, the end result of those wars was thus fairly favourable to both sides, as it resulted in an overall stabilisation of the situation in Eastern Europe. (And turned out to be a major contribution to the cause of European unification, so I'm sure the conspiracy nuts of this TL went mental about it!) I'll admit, this is a bit of a rehash of the early 20th century, but hey, that's why I thought it didn't really require elaboration.

As to the Eastern European wars not involving Russia, there's little incentive for anyone to involve nuclear weapons. Sure, e.g. populist Hungary deciding to retake Transylvania didn't exactly please the EU, but France isn't going to unleash its nuclear arsenal because of a skirmish between Hungary and Romania.

Regarding the PRC and Taiwan, I don't understand the question. Taiwan doesn't have nukes, and China's "No First Use" doctrine is well-established, so I can't see a reason for nuclear weapons to feature - you seem to have a bit of a fixation! Who do you think would nuke whom? The US is going to nuke one of its major trading partners? Fat chance.

Why didn't anything happen in Africa and Asia? In the case of Africa because, to put it bluntly, what happens in Africa doesn't make much of a difference to anywhere else, save perhaps for the US, China or Russia ending up with slightly more or slightly fewer mining interests somewhere. So, for a quick map scenario, I see no point in really bothering that much with Africa unless Africa still belongs to the European powers. It'd be a different matter if I were writing a whole proper timeline rather than just a one-off. In the case of Asia, it's simply been blessed with a period of relative peace (mind that Russia and China did start quite a bit of shit as you yourself point out). Unlikely, perhaps, but not exactly totally impossible.
"Taking part of Belarus, Ukraine, and Transnistria" is a gross violation of international law. So far, Russia's gotten away with its annexation of Crimea, but even then it's on thin ice. Annexing huge swathes of other nations by way of astroturfed separatist groups would be met with outrage and declarations of war, which runs the risk of further escalating to a nuclear exchange.

Taiwan is a similar case. Nations can't just annex other nations without consequence; this isn't the 19th century. Speaking of which, why the hell did Greece annex all of Bulgaria?

You can't just write off Africa as unimportant; it has several rising economies (Nigeria, South Africa, Morocco) and strong trade and diplomatic ties to China and Europe. Your few justifications for a lack of border changed are flimsy at best (Ethiopia invaded and annexed Eritrea and Djibouti because "they could and nobody was watching"? Seriously?). Somaliland shouldn't have Northern Somalia, and claiming the civil war would continue for over a century is just absurd.

After a lot of convergent political evolution, and in light of the perceived threat from China and Indonesia, Australia and New Zealand unified into the United Kingdom of Australia and New Zealand (commonly known as the United Kingdom or UK, just to mess with school kids studying any history between 1707 and 2019) with the English monarch at the helm, and remain closely allied to England.

Aha...

"Taking part of Belarus, Ukraine, and Transnistria" is a gross violation of international law. So far, Russia's gotten away with its annexation of Crimea, but even then it's on thin ice. Annexing huge swathes of other nations by way of astroturfed separatist groups would be met with outrage and declarations of war, which runs the risk of further escalating to a nuclear exchange.
International law is respected when everyone agrees it's convenient. How many times have the US or Israel contravened international law with no consequences other than perhaps a slap on the wrist from the UN?

Taiwan is a similar case. Nations can't just annex other nations without consequence; this isn't the 19th century. Speaking of which, why the hell did Greece annex all of Bulgaria?
Except that Taiwan isn't even officially recognised as a legitimate nation-state by anyone of consequence. From the legal understanding of most countries, PRC invading Taiwan legally amounts to PRC choosing to assert its sovereignty over an island that is legitimately part of its territory. Unless you propose the PRC should be terrified at the prospect of invasion by the likes of Kiribati, Swaziland or the Holy See.

I also think that the assumption that the international political climate of the 20th century will continue to dominate the 21st is questionable. More and more radical governments are being elected in more and more countries, and conventions of diplomacy and international relations are being disregarded ever more callously. Unless the EF wants to throw lots of manpower at replacing the now more introverted US's role as world police (but why?), I just don't see that being the case. I'd argue that the way things are headed, global politics in the 21st century is much more likely to resemble the 19th than the 20th in spirit.

Bulgaria is indeed one I forgot to elaborate about! So, Bulgaria was geopolitically a bit screwed when Romania became part of the populist bloc, being completely surrounded by it. On the basis of realpolitik, ideological questions notwithstanding, the EF had no interest in sticking by Bulgaria; it had no intention of entering a long and protracted conflict with Russia and the other bloc states over an incredibly minor trading partner. So, there was a very real and growing possibility that Bulgaria would be partitioned between the neighbouring powers, losing its territorial integrity, with Bulgarians being displaced and treated as second-class citizens by the conquering powers, as had indeed happened to the Romanians in Transylvania under Hungarian rule - though they, at least, could flee to Romania!

However, the Hellenic Empire pre-empted this by making a compelling offer: If Bulgaria joined the Empire voluntarily by referendum, it would retain some democratic self-governance and, more importantly, remain an undivided nation, despite losing statehood. Crucially, through backroom dealings, this proposal received official approval from both Ecumenical Patriarch Athanasius and the Patriarch of All Bulgaria, Methodius. So the matter was indeed put to the vote and, unsurprisingly, the Bulgarian people overwhelmingly chose guaranteed territorial continuity and rights under Greek rule over a sovereignty that appeared to be approaching its expiry date.

You can't just write off Africa as unimportant; it has several rising economies (Nigeria, South Africa, Morocco) and strong trade and diplomatic ties to China and Europe.
Yeah, as I said, a few mining rights here and there. Some trade. Nothing that's really going to make much difference to geopolitics, and thus nothing relevant to a quick map scenario. Sure a strong African economy deciding to embargo someplace could theoretically butterfly into something bigger, but it's not terribly likely, so I still maintain it's not worth bothering with.

Your few justifications for a lack of border changed are flimsy at best (Ethiopia invaded and annexed Eritrea and Djibouti because "they could and nobody was watching"? Seriously?).
Okay, I'll admit that's just me being facetious :p

Somaliland shouldn't have Northern Somalia, and claiming the civil war would continue for over a century is just absurd.
So, it's simultaneously absurd to suggest that two very ideologically similar factions in the Somali Civil War, Somaliland and Puntland, could come to some sort of stable agreement whereby they merge into a single sovereign entity, whilst it is also absurd to suggest that Al Shabaab and the Warlords can't be incorporated into a stable democratic structure. O...kay :neutral:

Triester_Doktrin.png

Trieste Doctrine 1908
"Expulsion of Italians from the Border regions of the German Kaiserreich and the Mandate of Podelta due to the ital. Irredentism plus the Resettlement of these Regions by Germans and Slovenes."

The Triester Doktrin (Doktrina v Trstu, Dottrina di Trieste, Trieste Doctrine) is a law enacted in 1908 by the German Kaiser which expelled most Italians from Tyrol, Littoral and the German-governed Mandate Podelta. It is generally known as the only major decision made by Germany that discriminated or expelled an ethnic group and is widely considered as the only German crime against humanitarian ideals.
Actually, Italians weren't all expelled, but rather set before a decision: either accept the German dominance, stay and get assimilated into the German population, or leave Germany and resettle in Italy.
The Doctrine was enacted on 27th July 1908 as a reaction of the Aggressive expansionist policies of Northern Italy to achieve the Italian Irredentist expansion.
Not only the German Kaiserreich, but also the Werebeast Principality of Sicily, the Yōkai Teikoku and the Free Reaper States of America have heavily criticized the Nationalist-Fascist Ideals of the Republic of Piedmont-Veneto.
*Today is of productive day*

Kingdom_of_Italy_Irredentist.png

Italian Irredentist Vision of 1900.
This Irredentist movement led to the Trieste Doctrine and the political Isolation of the Kingdom of Northern Italy.
Text says "The unification of the empire shall be your one and only dream!!!", as Italy is still disunited due to the puppetation of the Vatican by Germany.
If someone here's Italian I'd like to know what parts of the text are wrong :)

Last edited:
CAN YOU READ MINDS?!? I was just about to make a left behind redux (though from an orthodox Christian standpoint).

When you say "orthodox Christian" do you mean "traditional Protestant" or "Greek Orthodox"? Either way, mind reading not withstanding, you should still go for it!

Just a few small things:

What happened to Fortuntado? Is his wizard priest order still running around?

No. One of the things I remember from reading the books (admittedly, I was in High School when I finished them, not almost... nevermind, time is not important, one of the things I remember was after the Battle of Jerusalem, Christ told all the world to bow down. Fortunado (if I'm remembering correctly) threw off his robes and started squeeling that Jesus was Lord. And then the earth opened up and swallowed him into Hell. (Satan did so against his will, like Jesus was using the cruciatus curse on him, and Carpathia very defeatedly bowed down.

Translation to this timeline: all three (Satan being a patsy figure) go through the Jerusalem Trial by the Judge of Judges himself.

Wasnt egypt a key ally of the USA in WWIII?

Yes. I believe the allies mentioned were USA, UK, and Egypt. Though, shockingly, I don't really remember any reasons other than "power" and "How can we have an apocalypse without nuclear war?" being the reasons for World War III in the book. (And the added bonus "America has fallen! Be afraid, American Evangelical Christians!!!") It makes the most sense to me from the point of view that the astronomical rise of the UN/GC, that those would be the reasons. And if Israel is an ally of Carpathia's, it makes a lot of sense for Egypt to want to march on Israel and seize the Edenium supply.

So basically, Nicolae wasnt ever able to consolidate his power after wwiii so he didnt get quite as feared or popular as he was in the books?

Notice how after Assassins, Carpathia spends pretty much all of his time in the Middle East and makes no real policy decisions? The whole building Babylon and doing everything he can to punish Israel for his assasination? LaHaye and Jenkins were working off of a text two thousand years old by an author that was completely ignorant of 90% of the world geography. So they needed a bunch of things to happen in the general area of the Middle East to fulfill the prophecies, even if they didn't make much sense. My interpretation of this is that Carpathia's assassination (/attempt) results in paranoid insanity, which results in the rest of the Global Community writing off his bizarre behavior as part of the Potentate's budget, and those within his locality, (doesn't get much more narcissistic than the "Holy Carpathian States") writing off his behavior as parts of a "pet project."

Elsewhere, though, i.e. the places he never visits in the books: Africa, South America, SE Asia, Oceania, etc. Carpathia is extremely popular. They don't know him as the vicious oppressor and persecutor of Israel, or the man with blood-stained hands who blasphemously slaughtered a pig on holy Israeli soil. They only know him as the picture on the wall at the school building who brought his price, high profile Danish math professors, or the digital signature that signed a scholarship opportunity in Perth, or the boss of commanding officers who are teaching poorly trained, poorly paid Congolese soldiers how to take pride in your work, or on the front page of the new agricultural developmental manual issued with shipments of Edenium. So yes, he is very popular outside of the Middle East, and with non-Christians and secular peoples around the world. This is what originally inspired me: it's a rather narcissistic series of books to believe that the world will fall apart when you and your demographic are whisked away from the earth. In fact, my argument runs, many would benefit.

*Today is of productive day*

Italian Irredentist Vision of 1900.
This Irredentist movement led to the Trieste Doctrine and the political Isolation of the Kingdom of Northern Italy.
Text says "The unification of the empire shall be your one and only dream!!!", as Italy is still disunited due to the puppetation of the Vatican by Germany.
If someone here's Italian I'd like to know what parts of the text are wrong :)

The text seems right to me, but then again its been awhile since I've had to do any Italian grammar problems.

Also what's up with those claims in Switzerland? I get Ticino being claimed, but Valais is French and Graubunden is German. Even OTL I don't think those were claimed by Italian irredentists.

Sad to see quite literally all of Italy's neighbors doing their damnest to crush the dreams of Italian Unification, Italy needs a friend in this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.