Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
A1fr8pb.jpg

This is a map I made depicting the Empire of Trebizond from my Eastern Roman Timeline The House of Komnenos: Like a Phoenix From the Ashes. Its basically a timeline covering the restoration of the Eastern Roman Empire by the one true emperor, Alexios Komenos of Trebizond. After the violent overthrow of his grandfather Emperor Andronikos I by the corrupt aristocracy the incompetent Angeloi drove the empire into the ground through their hedonism and incompetence. And in their cowardice, the Imperial City was sacked by the accursed Latins with much of the Empire partitioned among themselves. With Roman impostors in the West and other petty states formed by other unworthy usurpers, the future of the Roman world looks bleak. But among ashes of the once great Empire founded by the great Augustus Caesar, Rome's eternal flame is still burns brightly in the city of Trebizond. And from the ashes, the Purple Phoenix will rise ever resplendent showing all who dared defy it, the true might and resilience of the Empire of the Romans and its people.
What do you guys think of this map? I plan on publishing the next set of updates to my timeline soon as I'm finally done with classes for the Spring semester.

@HeX , that's a very detailed map! What is Futurism like (is it some sort of technocracy?) and what are the main differences between American and European Futurism?
Futurism is inspired by the Italian artistic movement of the same name from the early 20th century, emphasizing speed, sleekness, modernity, youth, and industrialization. It has some technocratic elements here, especially the way the UASA elects a government, but technocracy is still very different. Due to the emphasis on progress and moving forward, Futurist nations have risen above racism and sexism but also tend to desecrate their past. In America these efforts were mostly for show by the UASA government, with most great American artistic works being saved and hidden away in the Library of Alexandria, Virginia. In France, this is not the case, and countless works of art, including the Mona Lisa, have been destroyed.

The UASA and France like to yell at each other about how different they are, but really, the differences boil down to how the governments treat corporations. The UASA has let them run wild, provided they still respect the government and Futurism, while France has nationalized all major companies and shares the ownership of many north Italian companies as well with their government. Though government oversight is severely lacking in America, the exemption to this rule are the Department of Creativity and the Department of Harmony, which deal with Hollywood and the music industry, respectively. Led currently by Secretary Walt Disney and Secretary Louis Armstrong, essentially the government funds the wildest dreams of the most powerful and popular men in the creative industry.

having taken the input from @B_Munro into account and more closely comparing each color as i went through them, i think i've got a satisfactory set-up of Islamic greens for my eventual TL-specific color scheme :) take a look:

islamic green.png

as you can see, i added a few other countries while i was at it--that had been the intention to begin with, (it's part of the geography overhaul that i'm planning to do, mainly in an effort to make TTL's colonial borders more distinct from OTL as an example of the butterfly effect) i'd just overlooked it the first time. while i'm essentially considering that every color here is final, i just recently decided the actual country they're assigned to here might not be where they're actually used on the eventual maps, but i'm not gonna be revising this one to demonstrate that. my intention is to go through each of these final decisions and reassign them to a more fitting country while still abiding by my previous decisions (it's not made obvious here, and might not be explicitly stated on the final maps or anywhere in the TL at all, but there's actually very specific reasons for the broad choices of color--countries with Islam as their state religion are given plain shades of green, at least as defined by Wikipedia; those with an Islamic majority but which aren't "officially" Islamic are given shades of green which qualify as another color, mostly yellows, again as defined by Wikipedia; and, based on the conflicting historical caliphates of the Sunni and Shia denominations, the latter are given very dark shades of green to set them apart from the rest) and then any that don't fit into that will be reassigned with the same "arbitrary" process that i used before, since i don't think that i, personally, will be totally satisfied with it unless i do

there are a few colors here which are very similar to each other, but i figured that context is strong enough to make it clear that they're not the same, the most recent decision in that regard being that *Eritrea and *east-Algeria had similar enough shades that i originally wasn't going to use the latter's at all but i figured they're far enough away and just distinct enough that no one would reasonably mistake them for one another

in addition to comparing them to each other, i also went and compared them to Islamic green itself since that will be an important color on the maps as well, and will be put right next to them for the modern maps as the *Arab League outline color, so it was important for it to be distinct enough from every single one of them.

with all that said, i'm still open to any input and suggestions--it's the only way i can know if i overlooked something

Went ahead and ran the numbers for cases per 100K in Florida, per @Martinus Padueius's suggestion, and this is what that map looks like:

june30covidflper100k.png

The county with the lowest cases per 100K residents is Franklin County with about 52 cases per 100K (6 confirmed cases). The county with the highest cases per 100K residents is Liberty County with a staggering 2,670 cases per 100K (222 confirmed cases). The interesting part is that Franklin County and Liberty County border each other.

As of today, only 2 counties have less than 150 cases per 100K residents.

@Osk, cool! Good choice of color. Not too surprising, I think Liberty county contains Tallahassee, plenty of sallow hypochondriac bureaucrats, while I've been to Franklin county and it's mostly swamp and people who spend a lot of time outdoors working and fishing.

Went ahead and ran the numbers for cases per 100K in Florida, per @Martinus Padueius's suggestion, and this is what that map looks like:

The county with the lowest cases per 100K residents is Franklin County with about 52 cases per 100K (6 confirmed cases). The county with the highest cases per 100K residents is Liberty County with a staggering 2,670 cases per 100K (222 confirmed cases). The interesting part is that Franklin County and Liberty County border each other.

As of today, only 2 counties have less than 150 cases per 100K residents.

The vast majority of the cases in Liberty County are at the state prison there. Those cases are almost all "resolved" now, since the infections all happened a month ago. Current infections area whole lot lower, fortunately, because the prison was able to quarantine the inmates effectively.

@Osk, cool! Good choice of color. Not too surprising, I think Liberty county contains Tallahassee, plenty of sallow hypochondriac bureaucrats, while I've been to Franklin county and it's mostly swamp and people who spend a lot of time outdoors working and fishing.

Tallahassee is actually in nearby Leon County, which is in the 300-650/100K range!

The vast majority of the cases in Liberty County are at the state prison there. Those cases are almost all "resolved" now, since the infections all happened a month ago. Current infections area whole lot lower, fortunately, because the prison was able to quarantine the inmates effectively.

Well that is good/bad to hear! Good that the cases seem to have cleared up, bad that there was a prison cluster in the first place! Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

I used total case numbers for the map as opposed to calculating current active cases, though I may do that if/when I update the per capita map next.

I used total case numbers for the map as opposed to calculating current active cases, though I may do that if/when I update the per capita map next.

I would absolutely love to see a "current active cases" map, but I do not know if that is information which is actually public (privacy concerns?). If you find a way to do that, you will have my greatest thanks! My parents live in Florida, and I'm trying to keep them out of harm's way as much as possible (that's the only reason I even knew about the Liberty County Prison outbreak).

I would absolutely love to see a "current active cases" map, but I do not know if that is information which is actually public (privacy concerns?). If you find a way to do that, you will have my greatest thanks! My parents live in Florida, and I'm trying to keep them out of harm's way as much as possible (that's the only reason I even knew about the Liberty County Prison outbreak).

My grandparents and pretty much entire family live in Florida where as I do not, so I hear you! Only reason I even started keeping track!

I know some states have those figures. For example, I've seen counties in Illinois report total and active cases. I'm not sure there is a privacy concern because they don't give any personal information, just a number of active cases. That being said, I've yet to see those figures at a county-wide level for Florida and the state has generally been pretty secretive with its statistics. I'll keep a lookout for them though!

Eparkhos

Banned
Note: Proper nouns are according to the orthography codified during the Oragunian Empire (2284-2586)

KINGDOM OF CULUMBIA
The Last Bastion of Catholicism in the Greater Pacific
Kingdom of Culumbea, 2800.png

Culumbia in 2800 AD (788 PC)
Culumbean Arms.png

Arms of the Kingdom under Marc II, and the Clawsen dynasty at large
(Goldun Eegl wit rain-streecd fethers, wyt wayst, crown upon hed an arcd banur acros fraym on wyt feeld)

At the dawn of the 29th Century, Culumbia was at the end of a golden age. For the last forty years, Marc II Clawsen (b.2736, r.2759-) had ruled the land with remarkable wisdom and vision, successfully fending off a second invasion by the Desereti and preventing the Tlingit from breaking into the Culumbia Plateau. He had instituted a long-overdue legal reform and created a system of irrigation canals that massively improved crop yields across the country. This surplus allowed him to simultaneously lower taxes and embark upon the construction of a series of major building projects across the country. The feuding Cascadian statelets had been reduced to paying tribute, but their philosophers, as well as by those as far afield as Cali and Talido. He maintained good relations with both the Pope in Talido and the various Legates that were sent to oversee operations in Culumbia. All in all, an excellent time in Culumbean history, and arguably the best place in post-collapse America to be a peasant.

Unfortunately, he had over a dozen sons and was in a coma.

While hunting near Pindlten in November 2799, Marc had been thrown from his horse and seriously injured. He had swiftly been returned to Trysitees, where the court doctors had flocked to him. His eldest son, Tomus, had taken over the regency, but the more ambitious of the younger princes had quickly begun traveling throughout the kingdom, seeking the support of the dukes of the realm for a bid for the throne. The most troubling of them was Cartur, Marc’s fourth son, who had made his way north and married Carulyn Profaytur, the sister of the Dukes of Cranbuk and Celownuh, and thus created a power block in the north. Tomus has only been able to gain the backing of the Enchun lords, the Dukes of Nespers and Yaceema, and the Duke of Spocan. The other Dukes have either backed other sons or have stayed uninvolved, but there is no doubt that the Kingdom will be ripped apart upon Marc’s ultimate passing….
Culumbia is a feudal monarchy, effectively a confederation of eight duchies that drifted into submission or were forcibly reduced to submission by the Duke (later King) of the Culumbia Valley. The plateau duchies (Yaceema, Wenatchee, Spocan and Nespers) are on a short leash compared to the northern [Enteeryur] duchies (Kranbruk, Nacusp, Celownuh and Enteeryur proper) who entered the suzerainty of Culumbia willingly a century and a half previously, and thus have more privileges. As a reflection of this semi-voluntary nature, the realm’s Council of Dukes hold a great deal of power, having a vote on all internal legislation. However, it is expected that the dukes vote acceptance to most proposals, as voting against them is seen as….unwise….due to the military power of the king. This means that when the council votes against a proposal, it is so thoroughly odious that the monarch overriding the vote will almost certainly result in civil war. The last king to override a vote, Loois II, lost his head.

This does not mean that the King is powerless, however. Legally, he can set both internal and external tariffs and raise taxes across the realm--any taxes raised by nobles are to be taken third, after both the tithe and the royal tax (Treasury officials tend to look the other way as long as the taxes come in on time). The dukes are also forbidden to maintain armies beyond a small retinue (the peasant levies at least nominally serve at the king’s pleasure, but this is rarely enforced, as inspections are rare), thus giving the throne a (mostly) effective monopoly on violence.

In summation, the internal governance of the Kingdom of Culumbia is a constant balance of power, with the King and the Council of Dukes struggling to dominate the other.
Culumbia’s succession is a centralized, male-only version of the Dwitic succession used by the other post-Oragunian states; The chosen son inherits half of his father’s lands, while the other half is divided between his brothers and native brother-in-laws. Thus, all the children of the previous monarch have a comfortable and respectable plot of land to live on, without seriously damaging the integrity of the realm. However, the elevated position of the elect son naturally leads to a good deal of envy from the other sons, and this leads to some….unfortunate accidents, and occasionally even power struggles, such as the one facing Culumbia as Marc II’s death approaches. By many estimates, the trade off in terms of integrity versus infighting is well worth it compared to the implosions regularly caused by the pure Dwitic succession as used in Cascadia.​
The era of peace and prosperity under the Clawsens has caused Culumbia’s population to nearly double in the past century, rising from roughly three million souls at the death of Raburt III, the first Clawsen to take the throne, in 2694 to nearly five and a half million in 2800. About a third of those dwell within the crownlands, the middle valley of the eponymous river, with the rest being dispersed amongst the other duchies, becoming less dense as you go further north. Ethnically, about a million of the kingdom’s subjects are Native American (“Enchun”, according to Oragunian orthography), primarily from the Nespers, Yaceema and Oomtiyah tribes. Another quarter of a million are Cascadians, almost entirely along the lower valley of the Culumbia. The rest of the population are Culumbian, descendants of the primarily German settlers that first farmed the region. Notably, the wide-spread racial intermixing that was widespread in the rest of the Pacific regions (Outside of Five-Valleys) never occurred, meaning that your average Culumbian peasant farmer bears a much stronger resemblance to a typical Hoosier or Ohioan a thousand miles away than he does to a typical Cascadian living only a hundred miles to the west. In terms of social structure, once again Culumbia bears a stronger resemblance to the Mid-Western states than it does to the Cascades; roughly 5% noble or burgher, 10% clergy, and 85% peasant, a mixture of farmers and herders. Settlements are primarily small villages, usually surrounded with a small palisade of sticks and mud, with all of the five largest cities (Trysitee, Spocan, Celownuh, Yaceema and Walla) having a population of less than ten thousand. This only reinforces the domination of rural landed aristocrats in politics, and give the rather draconian laws enacted by the Dukes to keep their tax bases within their realms there is little prospect of major urban growth.​
Culumbia and all of her duchies are Talidoan Catholics, the most far-flung region amongst the flock of the Mid-Western Papacy. The realm’s connection with Catholicism goes back to the time of the Oragunian Empire, who spread Catholicism throughout their empire. However, the Cascades were never truly christianized, and less than a decade after the fall of Oragun the petty states had entirely reverted to their ancient heathanism, and the other two successor kingdoms, Owtbac and Snayc, were overrun by the rising tide of Mormonism in the early 28th century, leaving Culumbia alone as the last Catholic state in the Greater Pacific. While Oragun had been in communion with the Mid-Western Papacy, the fall of the Snayc Kingdom effectively ended communication between Trysitees and Talido, as the Deretis refused to allow messengers to pass over the mountains. Culumbia entered a thirty-year long period called the ‘Autointediction’, when the kingdom had no contact with the Pope. The remaining clergy did their best to train replacements and keep society function, but the actions of the archbishops were limited due to the lack of Papal oversight. Finally, in 2766, Marc II made a deal with the newly-unified Five Valleys that allowed the Culumbians to send messengers over the mountains and onto the Yellowstone River, from which they could sail the rivers all the way to the Wabash, from which it was overland to Talido. In 2768, the first Legate to Culumbia arrived in Trysitees, resuming the communion between the two.

The church collects a tithe of 10% from all subjects of the kingdom, although the logistical difficulties in shipping bullion down the Missouri means that the Papacy proper sees next to none of it. Instead, most of it goes to supporting the Knights of Enlan, a crusading order with the stated goal of defending Catholicism from the encroaching Mormons, and the Baha’i, and the Concilitarians, and the Tlingits, and you get the point. The Order has commissaries and fortifications scattered across Culumbia, but the heaviest concentrations are in the Cascade March and along the lower Culumbia; the former so much so that Marc has begun appointing the headmaster of the order as lord of the march. From these bases they defend aggressively into Cascadia and Tlingitia, making themselves a real pain in the ass for the šahebsadars of Vancoovur, Belingham and Seeatl. For the last decade or so, their activities have been limited to raiding, but prior to that they had made several failed attempts at a crusade for Cascadia.
The first state to develop in modern Culumbia after the fall of the Murican Empire was the semi-mythical Empire of Enlan, which dominated the Culumbian Plateau and the Snayc Valley, ruling as far away as lands currently under the control of the Montanan Marshallate, but was unable to conquer its western rival, the Cascadian Empire. The founder of the Empire of Enlan is believed to have been an ancient giant from the House of Boeing who lived in the early 22nd Century and whose castle still stands in the center of Spocan. After about a century and a half, the House of Boeing went extinct and was succeeded by the House of Leencun, who traced their ancestry to the Murican Emperor of the same honorific.

However, in 2284 a minor Owtbac nobleman named Raburt I Norblad led a host of adventurers into Enlan and defeated Tomus Leencun in a series of battles that led to the low-kings of Enlan hailing him as Emperor. Over the next two decades, Raburt conquered the feuding Cascadian states, Owtbac and drove the Californios out of Jifsun. In 2302 he was crowned with the Crown of the Three Empires (Cascadia, Enlan and Blacroc) in Portland, thus becoming the first Emperor of Oragun. For the next century or so, Oragun was the powerhouse of the north-west, able to force tribute from both Old Deseret and Cali as the two empires descended into several rounds of civil wars. However, in 2487, the Hutterites invaded over the Rocky Mountains from the north and Emperor Cartur II and most of his sons gathered a host to meet them. At the Battle of Casselgar, the Hutterites were turned back by the Oragunians, but the entire Imperial family was slain on the field.

Within a year, Oragun was torn apart in a civil war. After nearly a decade of war, the former Duke of Coosbay, Jon I Vaypama, emerged victorious and was crowned as emperor. However, Oragun under the Vaypamas was a pale shadow of what it had been under the Norblads, and for the rest of its history it was beset by factions and civil wars. The ruling dynasty clung to power, but over the course of the 26th Century the Empire began to dissolve. In the 2540s the tribes of Glayshur and Noridaho broke away and immediately dissolved into territorial squabbles, while the presence of Baha’ism in Cascadia became less and less hidden. In 2581 the Dukes of Snayc gave an ultimatum to Empress Ida, a mentally ill woman barely out of her regency; Give them independence and they would pay tribute; refuse it and they would take it by force. Ida reluctantly agreed, and two years later the Dukes of Snayc elected Dayv Bieter as King of the Snayc. Dayv ceased tribute payments; Ida did nothing. Oragun almost immediately imploded, Owtbac and Blacroc breaking away under the Kit family in 2584 and Enteeryur, the lands north of the Culumbia Plateau, revolting the same year under the Reval family.

Jon Tonkin, the Duke of Astoria, was a maternal cousin of Ida and had been watching the collapse of the east with increasing anxiety. Finally, in 2586, when it seemed that Cascadia itself might be about to break away, he marched up the Culumbia to Portland and deposed Ida, ending the Empire of Oragun.

However, this sudden end left the duchies on the Culumbian Plateau in a lurch. Two of the dukes, those of Trysitees (Jorj) and Dals (Cartur), met in 2589. They agreed that, in the interests of the Plateau at large, the childless Duke of Dals would give his lands to the Duke of Trysitees upon his death. Two years later, the Duchy of Culumbia was formed. It was the largest state on the Plateau, but because of this the other duchies were uniformly hostile to Culumbia. However, this changed in 2603, when Raburt of Cascadia, regretting his father’s abandonment of the east, launched an invasion of the mountains. Yaceema was reduced within a year, and the Cascadians soon arrived on the banks of the Culumbia. The dukes of Spocan and Wenatchee, unable to turn the westerners back by themselves, threw themselves at the feet of Duke Jorj and promised to swear fealty if he would only save them from the infidels. After letting them squirm for several weeks, Jorj agreed and marched on Portland. Raburt was forced to pursue, and the Culumbians defeated the Cascadians in the shadow of Saynt Heluns. Raburt died of his wounds and Cascadia imploded into a civil war, effectively ending the war. Jorj was crowned as King of Culumbia in Trysitees in 2604, marking the foundation of the Kingdom of Culumbia and the beginning of the tenure of the Hanfurd Dynasty upon the throne.

Jorj died in 2611 and was succeeded by his son Loois I. Loois was a quiet man who oversaw a period of peace in Culumbean history, but was killed in ambush by Owtbac tribesmen while responding to a raid in 2635. Loois was succeeded by his son Raburt I, whose brief reign saw the submission of the Duke of Nespers, who was in danger of being overwhelmed by the Aryun tribesmen of the mountains. In 2639 he died of a stroke and was succeeded by his brother, Marc II. Marc reigned for less than a month before being poisoned by the neighboring Duke of Samon. hej was succeeded by his cousin, Raburt II.

Raburt led a punitive expedition against the Duke of Samon, annexing his territory and adding it into his estates. In 2644, he petitioned Pope Damasus III to request a crusade against Cascadia. In 2647 it was approved, and Raburt led a coalition consisting of himself, the Kings of Enteeryur, Owtbac and the Duke of Bend (who had broken away from Owtbac) against the infidels in the First Cascadian Crusade. Portland and Astoria are both sacked, the latter being put to the sword, but when the Crusaders march north for the Salish Sea, they are bogged down by hit-and-run attacks and are held up by stubborn resistance in Olympia. The Enteeryurites quit the war and withdraw in 2650, an excellent morale boost for the Cascadians. After an inconclusive battle with a coalition of Baha’i armies in early 2651, the Crusaders withdraw to Aburdeen and retreat towards home via sea. After the Cascadian Crusade ends, Raburt was still nursing a grudge against the Enteeryurites for betraying him by leaving early. In 2654, after securing his hold over his vassals, he declared war on Enteeryur on a minor pretext and marched up the Okanugun, a tributary of the Culumbia, to threaten Celownuh, the second city of the kingdom, and create a launching point for an offensive against Kamloops, the capital of Enteeryur. However, before he can reach Celownuh he is killed in a skirmish with some militia.

Raburt is succeeded by his son, Jorj III. Jorj III has a quiet reign and dies in 2667, and is succeeded by his second son, Loois II. Loois was the Napoleon III to Raburt II’s Napoleon, and launched the Second Cascadian Crusade in 2670. However, the Cascadians had reunified under Caytlyn, and Loois and his (much smaller) coalition are smacked down after a single battle. Loois himself is captured and has to be ransomed back at an extravagant price, which so angered the nobility that they didn’t allow him to return to the throne until he agreed to the creation of the Council of Dukes and its powers. Loois agreed and in 2672 he returned to Trysitees. However, after several years of stewing in his own anger over having all of his legislature shot down, he starts overriding the Council’s decision. The dukes repeatedly tell him to stop, but they are ignored until 2676, when the dukes march on the capital and depose him. Loois and all of his male relatives are sent to monasteries (At this point, Catholicism allows priests to marry, so this is the only way to ensure that the dynasty will die peacefully).

The Council of Dukes elects the elderly Raburt Clawsen, the Duke of Spocan, as King Raburt III. In 2680, Raburt began developing dementia and his son Mark was appointed regent. Mark governs well, successfully annexing a strip of land along the border with Owtbac and overseeing the foundation of the Knights of Enlan as well as creating a primitive bureaucracy to better the stewardship of his personal estates. In 2694 Raburt finally succumbed to his disease and Mark I became king. He continued his program of reforms, but after only five years died of dysentery. He is succeeded by his nephew, Raburt IV, who is only fifteen years old and thus undergoes a two month regency until he is crowned in 2700. Raburt’s early years are similarly quiet to his uncle, but in 2711 he renews Raburt II’s quarrel with Enteeryur and marches north. He defeated Elis II of Enteeryur outside of Kamloops in 2713, and the king soon succumbed to his wounds. Unfortunately, Elis’ only relative was his three-month-old son, also named Elis, and there was no way such a long regency could end well for the kingdom at large. The dukes of Enteeryur, fearing the outbreak of civil war, approached Raburt and offered to declare Enteeryur dissolved and swear fealty to him, in exchange for certain privileges. Raburt agrees, and to further assuage the northerners he adopts Elis as his son and declares him the heir to the throne. Raburt then returned south, and after half a decade of improving relations with the Enteeryurite lords he embarks on a conquest spree. The Culumbian army crosses the border with Owtbac and sweeps down the Dushoots River, taking Bend after half a year. From there, however, he becomes bogged down in the rough terrain and the conquest slows. Agreements are made with much of the local nobility, and after six years of warfare the crowns of Owtbac and Blacroc join with that of Culumbia. Raburt is recrowned in both Bend and Trysitees in 2725, and begins eyeing up Snayc as an opportunity for expansion. However, before he can do so, Snayc is overrun by the New Desereti Empire. The Desereti take Boysee less than a year after first crossing the border, and before the end of 2727 they have reached the Culumbian border. The next spring the great expedition continues, arriving at and enveloping Looistun, on the Upper Snake within three months. Here, the Desereti make their first major mistake, as they settle down for a major siege rather than continuing their break-neck pace onto the Culumbia Plateau. This gives Raburt the time he needs to muster the combined forces of all Culumbia. He successfully drives the Desereti off, but a counter-offensive is blunted before they reach Boysee. Raburt retires back to Looistun to negotiate, but in spring 2729 the Desereti burst through Owtbac and raid the suburbs around the capital. By the time the royal armies arrive the raiders are long-gone, but the Desereti have returned to Looistun. This sets the pattern for the 2730s, as the Culumbians rush back and forth between frontier outposts. Focused on defending Culumbia proper, Raburt can only stand by and watch as his conquests are swept away under the Desereti tide. The stress wears on him heavily, and in 2741 he has a breakdown and kills two of his servants in a fit of lunacy. With the support of the dukes, Elis deposes his adoptive father a few months later and sends him to a monastery, taking the throne in 2742. Knowing that the Culumbians will break long before the Desereti do, Elis negotiates with the President of the Church. Telling exaggerated tells of the hostility of the Cascadians, Metis and the Hutterites, after several years of correspondence Elis convinces the President that the best thing for Deseret is for the Culumbians to act as a buffer against the barbarians of the north, while maintaining their independence-for a hefty tribute, that is. In 2746 Elis traveled to Salt Lake and, in a profusely humiliating ceremony, swears to give tribute to the President. When word of this reaches Culumbia, several dukes immediately go into rebellion. Elis swiftly puts it down, but the internal dissent would be an underriding current throughout the rest of Elis’ reign.

In 2759, Elis was assassinated by an agent of one of the dukes. He was succeeded by his son, Marc II, whose reign has already been covered in brief.
Exports; Most of the mineral resources within Culumbia lie far beneath the surface, and as such the kingdom barely has enough gold to mint its own coin. It has fairly larger silver deposits, but as a result of mismanagement and confused supply routes the largest silversmithing guild, Lashet, has a reputation in Cascadia and Cali for being the nobility’s version of the solo cup, similarly to its wine--They still use, but never in public. However, the general opinion of Culumbian fur goods is much higher, as the furring guilds of the kingdom have the ability to filter out the low-quality furs that their primary competitors, the Tlingit, don’t. Furs are the largest manufactured good produced within Culumbia, outstripping metalwork by a quarter, but are still outstripped by far by the largest export; Cattle. Culumbia is by far the largest exporter of cattle west of the Rockies, with stockyards equal in size to any of the Marshallates bar only Tejas and Montana. Culumbia is also the largest breeder of Appaloosa horses, their spotted blanket breed being commonly called the Culumbian.

Imports; Like most states in the Greater Pacific region, Culumbia imports most of its porcelain, textiles and glassware from Cali, as well as the high quality wine to supplant its native supply. Much of its finished woodwork and paper comes from Cascadia, as does the few ocean-capable ships that are owned by the crown. Despite the tensions with Deseret, traders make steady rounds between Trysitees and Salt Lake, driving herds of cattle and shipping crates of silverware and bottles of wine south and coming north with carts full of salt.
Despite its semi-allied status, Culumbia views the newly-arisen Desereti behemoth with understandable fear. Culumbian envoys have been seen in the courts of Cali, Mexico, and the Shyan League, and there is a secret agreement between the four that when Agustin IV begins his planned counter-attack into Sonora in 2805, the other three will join in to weaken the Great Theodemocracy.

Culumbia has a frigid relationship with the Cascadian states, due to both the threat it poses to them and the desecration inflicted in the First Cascadian Crusade. The northern Salish states (Vancoovur, Bellingham, Victoria, Nanymo) and the Coastal Range states (Craitur, Clamuth, Coosbay) have somewhat better relations, as they view Culumbia as a counterbalance to the Tlingit and Cali, respectively. Relationships with the Tlingit are non-existent beyond raids and counter-raids. Five Valleys, across the Eastern Rockies, is the closest thing Culumbia has to an ally, with the two occasionally campaigning together against the Aryun tribesmen living in the mountains. Culumbia also makes yearly payments to Marshall of Montana in exchange for regular raids into Albertuh to keep the Metis and Hutterites busy on the far side of the mountains.
(Counter-clockwise from the south-west)

Eastern Mormon March
Duchy of the Nespers
Duchy of Cranbruc
Duchy of Nacusp
Duchy of Enteeryur
Cascade March
Duchy of Wenatchee
Duchy of Yaceema
Crownlands
Western Mormon March
Duchy of Spocan*
Duchy of Celownuh*

*These two are in the center of the Kingdom, once again labelled counter-clockwise from the south-west.

Last edited:
Wouldn't hypochondriacs be less likely to get COVID?
I imagine their immune systems would be weak, so they'd be more likely to be symptomatic and get tested. Thus increasing the number of counted cases in an area. We don't know how many millions of people are out there who've had the disease without symptoms, or with a mild sore throat that went away after a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.