Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Tale of Three Frances

Jbm1Ojl.png

The POD involves Henry V living a little longer after the Treaty of Troyes, and as a result he's able to push forward more into Southern France to subjugate more of the remaining Valois resistance to his rule in Southern France. Henry V takes much of the old duchy of Aquitaine. Henry V dies as a result of injuries sustained from battle, but as a result of the butterflies, Henry VI is born more sane and healthy. Henry V manages to live long enough to be formally crowned giving more legitimacy to his son Henry VI who proves to be an effective ruler managing to consolidate his rule in France proper. The Valois Claimants manage to get some of the Southern Provencal nobles to rally around himself establishing his foothold in Toulouse. Thus France is split into two Kingdoms each claiming to be the rightful Kings of France. But internationally, the new Lancastrian Kings were recognized as the Legitimate Kings of France holding Paris.

In the Duchy of Burgundy under the shrewd Philippe III "the Good" and Charles I "The Bold" Burgundy uses the resulting power vaccum within France and the HRE proper to expand into the Low Countries and Rhineland realizing the borders of the old Carolingian Kingdom of Lotharingia. Lotharingia emerges as a new Great Power in Europe with control of the Rhineland and the Wealthy Low Countries. This wealth and trade dominance allows for Charles the Bold to consolidate his hold by building a highly effective army and navy. Though the rise of the House of Burgundy led to the historic Plantagenet/Lancastrian-Bourgogne alliance to break down with the two dynasties becoming fierce rivals whose wars defined much of the 16th and 17th Centuries. The Burgundian Kingdom of Lotharingia is the Third claimant to the French title as a result of the Burgundian Kings descending from another branch of the Capetians. And following the death of the main branch of the Valois in Toulouse, a bitter war of succession broke out in Europe between the Lancasters and the Burgundians seeking to gain control over Southern France. Of course the Occitan and Provencal nobility, not wanting to be under either Kings' rule, rallied behind a claimant descended from an illegitimate branch of the Valois Kings who styled himself as being of the House of Toulouse. The new King Francois I de Toulouse managed to maintain the territorial integrity of his realm against both the Burgundians and Lancasters.

What do you guys think?
Very cool. By the end of the 17th century, does a singular French cultural identity still exist in a meaningful way? What about language? In particular, what do the denizens of the Dual Monarchy speak? Is it sort of like Austria-Hungary in that there are French and there are English and they remain culturally different from each other or is unification between the two more meaningful than that?

Thanks for the reply!

I was also wondering, what would the court language of Lotharingia be? I was thinking either Flemish of standard Burgundian French.
Probably Burgundian French most likely as French became a widely spoken language during this era. Though Wallonia and Flanders though in ttl might very end being pretty much a Francophone region. The local languages spoken in Frisia (basically modern Netherlands) would likely have a lot more French influence. Though in the Eastern and Southern parts the High German and Arpitan would likely be spoken. Though Arpitan gradually might be replaced by more French.

Very cool. By the end of the 17th century, does a singular French cultural identity still exist in a meaningful way? What about language? In particular, what do the denizens of the Dual Monarchy speak? Is it sort of like Austria-Hungary in that there are French and there are English and they remain culturally different from each other or is unification between the two more meaningful than that?
Not really per-se. There’s a geographical notion of France at its full-extent, but as for modern French nationalism, I’d say no. Though while the French national identity’s origin can be traced back to the Hundred Years War, French Nationalism as we know it, was a product of the 18th Century French Revolution.

While the Lancasters began to speak English after Henry V in otl, here the English Kings were largely becoming more French in culture along with its nobility who have historic ties to France. France being more popular and wealthier likely sees the Royal Court move there. Though France having more cultural and economic influence on England, means that England itself is under more French influence. So what we recognize as the English Language here in this timeline, will be even more Latinized/Frenchified. Thus an “Anglois” subculture closer to Southern England begins to take root as subsequent Plantagenet Kings try to intertwine the two Kingdoms together.

Though there’s definitely a more Germanic culture/language in the Northern and Middle parts of England though which might lead to separatism, or a situation where there’s a different local language with French being used as the standard language across the Plantagenet Realms for administration and trade.

Though it’s likely that Lotharingia and the Dual Monarchy becomes major rivals over things such as trade.

Aftermath 2310.png

A map of my Aftermath timeline. It is 2310 and International trade has restarted as many nations have made contact with other continents. The Two most powerful nations, The UCA and the Sino-Soviet Union is facing challenges with other states. Two new superpowers have also arisen, The Oceanic Commonwealth and Nordic Union. New States have been established who have replaced the old pre-sates. Africa and South America have fallen into Anarchy btw. With the world in change, many wonder how long the UCA and Sino-Soviets power can last.

I hope you enjoy it.

WGizi3V.png

Tourism map of Kangokia, alternate history Hungary which was settled by Chinese instead of Magyars.

On the map we have a few of Kangokia's sights and experiences!
  • In Szansi (Budapest), the capital city whose name means "City on a Hill" is the birthplace of Kangokia and home to the impressive Imperial Palace.
  • Szonnbor (Sopron) is home to rolling plains and beautiful scenery.
  • Szahann is a lovely spa town with a Buddhist temple and old pagoda.
  • Vudann (Pecs) is home to spicy hot pot and cuisine which fuses Mediterranean food with Far Eastern styles.
  • Piensi (Novi Sad) was famous as the sole producer of silk in its heyday, and now it is famous for the historical-style dresses it produces for tourists.
  • Senntonn (Debrecen) produces a vast array of peppers and spices which are used to make dried sausage.
  • Tsimu (Eger) and Misigok (Miskolc) are great places to enjoy the view of the Carpathian mountains!

Visit today!

NOTE: I've changed the orthography of the language a little since my last post.
Here you might find this useful, throw in some Pinyin and you'll get it back with a Hungarian scheme, make sure to remove tones as well

Last edited:
So here's a quick little thing I finished up today. The initial POD is that Japan takes longer to surrender at the end of WWII, and so Korea is never divided, and thus China can focus it's attention on reunification with Taiwan around 1950. This also gave me a chance to use some of the less used parts of the THICC color code.

View attachment 555610
One gripe-Manchuria was like 85-90% Han even during the Manchukuo era, and is now 95-98% Han now, and an autonomy there makes no sense. Maybe substitute them with the Zhuang/Yunnan Mountain peoples on the southern fringe that are far more numerous than the Manchu?

Asthetically and flagwise, it is a great map :).

NaxaliteIndia1957.jpg

Not a well developed scenario, but I wanted to do some sort of British India rebellion so I went with a "British don't relinquish India" type event resulting in a Chinese backed Maoist rebellion throughout Central India. Thailand and Afghanistan join the party and try and snag up as much of the dying Empire as they can before the IndiComs can capture it (with tacit approval from the CIA of course). Kashmir, lacking in British garrisons since the start of major civil disturbances, takes the opportunity to declare it's own non-aligned independence: the Prince figures he can pre-emptively preserve his territory from the Communists while also fending off the Afghan tribesmen pouring into the Northern Raj. British troops are largely collapsing in the south of India, and preparations are being made to withdraw all soldiers, civil administrators, and British nationals to the island of Ceylon for the time being. Northern India is in much the same state, with pressure from the PLA and the Afghans making life difficult for Raj combat units as they try to maintain order, especially with P.I.R.F agitators slipping through the lines disguised as refugees and causing chaos in the cities and countryside. The only area holding up well militarily is Bengal, where the British have managed to establish a solid front line and rally the largely Muslim population against the anti-clerical policies of the IndiComs. The Kingdom of Thailand, working tacitly with the Burmese guerrilla army operating out of the rural North and East of the country, have put strain on Raj forces, but for the time being they are being held at bay. 1957 does not appear to be a fortuitous year for the British Empire...

Last edited:
So quick question - Since Map Thread XX will probably start in a couple of weeks, would anyone be interested in seeing a "Most Popular" list for XIX? A quick scan of the first 50 pgs of this thread has shown that there's going to be _a lot_ of maps with 40+ likes, so I figured it might be worthwhile to start compiling the list now - especially in order to have it ready for posting on either the 1st or 2nd pg of the next thread. Thanks!
Which reminds me, we need to come up with titles for the map threads, because this is the fastest moving thread outside of chat.

So quick question - Since Map Thread XX will probably start in a couple of weeks, would anyone be interested in seeing a "Most Popular" list for XIX? A quick scan of the first 50 pgs of this thread has shown that there's going to be _a lot_ of maps with 40+ likes, so I figured it might be worthwhile to start compiling the list now - especially in order to have it ready for posting on either the 1st or 2nd pg of the next thread. Thanks!
I certainly can help. Where do you want me to start?

First attempt at mapmaking.
This reminds me of something I thought of a while back. Do we have map resources–in the standard map sizes and projections–for things like the whole world’s watersheds and continental divides? I don’t remember seeing them in the blank map threads (but then those are so huge it’s hard to find anything. If we have those, we could overlay them on an existing map (alongside, say, a physical map) and making pretty alternative borders would be that much easier.

Keep at it, EC. Your construction is good (single pixel borders, baby), which is more than can be said for many a first-timer. Have a scenario in mind (or at least a point of divergence) when you start, and always take the world’s physical features into account. If two nations have a border that runs right through an open plain, you’ll need a damn good reason to explain that! A border that meets at the top of a mountain range, though? Why, that story tells itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.