Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crawl Out Through the Fallout
Xq1keHK.png

(NCR, Legion, and Shi borders adapted from this map: Here)

The Year is 2320. The United States has come along way since the Great War. There are multiple known nation-states on the North American Continent.​
Major Nations:
New California Republic
- A stable presidential republican state. After their victory during the Second Battle of the Hoover Dam, the NCR annexed the New Vegas region and stabilized the Mojave. Caesar's Legion's presence in the Mojave dwindled, leaving the NCR to control all trade that occurs to the New Canaanite Communities. Their greatest hero has become The Courier, who would eventually serve as President of the NCR.

Caesar's Legion - The Death of Caesar and the ascension of Legate Lanius would change the Legion, alongside the defeat at the Second Battle of Hoover Dam. The Legion almost immediately began to collapse, due to the death of Caesar. Legate Lanius would lead a campaign of unification, a brutal and horrific campaign that would eventually reunite the Legion. Not long after, Legate Lanius would die of an unknown illness. This would cause some of the higher ranked members of the Legion to rebuild a more extensive civil government. While there was a minor civil government under Caesar, with consuls and the Officiorum ab Famulatus (Office of Servitude), some centurions, consuls, and other subjects of the Legion arranged a new government. At the top of this government would be a council of consuls who would elected a new Caesar every few years. Consuls would originate from retired military men alongside some of the richer members of society. With this, Caesar's Legion would begin a campaign to rebuild their empire. Infrastructure was slightly prepared, members of the society would gain some education, and a real system of taxation would be established to help the Legion rebuild. While the main currency that the average citizen would use would be caps, the new civil government would create a new denomination of money that was meant to curb caps usage. Alongside the aureus coins and denarius coins, the new civil government would create ferrum coins which were created from melted down bottle caps and steel scraps too small for other usage. All of this coin reform was organized by the Officiorum ab Monetæ (Office of Currency) which also set a new exchange rate.
$NCR
Cap(s)
Legion coinage
1 ferrum (1f)
2f
8f
1 denarius (1d)
4d
1 aureus (1a)
This helped to stabilize the Legion's economy, which at this point was still based around both the slave trade and a market in selling some pre-war technology.
Religion in Caesar's Legion has only barely changed since the original Cult of Mars creation. Practitioners worship the god of war Mars, alongside his son, Caesar, who spoke through him. Since then all the duties of the religion have fallen to the Priestesses of Mars who teach the youth the religion. The change has mostly come with an attempt to syncretize other religions around their empire into the Cult of Mars, including an attempt to combine Caesar and Jesus into a single deity of Jesus Caesar, with his father being Mars, and local folk religions getting folded into the religion, saying that the folk deities served Mars. This also helped stabilize the empire.

The Great Khanate of Wyoming - After the Second Battle of Hoover Dam, the Great Khans left the Mojave and traveled to the distant and mostly empty lands of Wyoming. Eventually, they met up and learned from a branch of the Followers of the Apocalypse who helped organize the Great Khans into a new organized nation-state. Using pre-war knowledge gained from the Followers, they conquered most of the former state of Wyoming and are set on taking the coal fields of Montana alongside the conquest of a mostly abandoned Brotherhood of Steel Bunker.

Minor Nations:
Brotherhood of Steel
- While technically a continent spanning organization, the Brotherhood of Steel has mostly localized around the Capital Wasteland. This became a necessary after the death of Elder Maxson in the Commonwealth. The Brotherhood of Steel eventually had to start welcoming Wastelanders into their organization as well as become more of a civil organization. While the militaristic nature of the Brotherhood would remain, the Brotherhood would mellow as they had to deal with more day to day life. The East Coast Brotherhood of Steel, now localized completely in the Capital Wasteland, would start to help build a civilian government in the region. While they would control the plant that purifies the water of the Capital Wasteland, more of the day to day activities would be handled by the Columbia Civil Commonwealth, based out of Rivet City. The Brotherhood would still hold a massive control over the region, but the average wastelander would take most of their civilian complaints to the CCC.

The Commonwealth
- The Commonwealth is a decentralized confederation that is mostly controlled by the Minutemen. This is due to the Minutemen organizing settlements and destroying both the Institute and the Brotherhood of Steel's Prydwen. The remaining Institute Scientists evacuated by the Minutemen, the Minutemen Settlements, the Railroad, Diamond City, and Goodneighbor would create the Second Provisional Government of the Commonwealth. The Minutemen would serve as protectors for the Commonwealth, while a federal government would be established in the settlement of Sanctuary, which all settlements would send one representative to. There was also the creation of the Department of Science where former Institute scientists would work to create technology for the benefits of the Commonwealth, this excludes the creation of synths.

Republic of Cascadia - The Republic of Cascadia is a minor player in Wasteland affairs, mostly being so far away from most other civilizations. While they are known to the NCR, through an outpost at the southern edge of Cascadian territory, their main opponent is a raider group called the Red Leafs, a pre-war Canadian organization led by a mountie ghoul. (Reference to fan-mod Fallout: Cascadia)

The Pitt - The Pitt is a autocratic state based in the former city of Pittsburgh. It is ruled by Lady Marie Ashur, who has provided all citizens in the city a vaccine based on her genetics which prevents the Troglodyte Degeneration Contagion from forming. While formerly a slaver state, after a cure for TDC was found, the beloved Lord-Saint Ashur transitioned the society from a slaver state to one slightly more free. Citizens were free to do as they pleased with their lives. Most differed to the office that Lord Ashur had created, leaving the state with a heireditary government with the descendants of Ashur as the heads of state. While a council of the workers of the Pitt would decided the rules for parts of society, most of it was left to Lady Ashur. Lord Ashur himself would begin to be seen as an almost divine figure in The Pitt with some calling him Lord-Saint Ashur after his death.

The Shi
- The Shi is probably the most powerful nation in the American Wasteland. This is due to the Shi conduction a large amount of scientific research and industrial capability. The NCR often trades with the Shi, but of what, no one knows. The Shi made San Fran radiation free thanks to their creation of a radiation consuming vine and let them expand slightly, but they are the richest nation, accepting all currency across the wasteland, including the $NCR, Legion coinage, Caps, Pre-War Money, Gold bullions, and Treasury Notes, all with various rates of exchange between them.
$NCR
Legion coinage
Pre-War Money
Gold bullions
Treasury Notes
Caps Exchange
$2.5 per 1 cap
$25 per 10 caps
$250 per 100 caps
1 ferrum per 1 cap
1 denarius per 10 caps
1 aureus per 100 caps
$10 per 1 cap
$100 per 10 caps
$1,000 per 100 caps
1 GB per 450 caps
$5 per 1 cap
$50 per 10 caps
$500 per 100 caps
$10 per 1GB

Communities:

New Canaanite Communities
- The New Canaanite Communities are a collection of towns around the Utah Wasteland. Originally all centered in the city of New Canaan, after a sacking by the White Legs tribe, who would later scatter into the wasteland and mostly assimilating into the Great Khanate in Wyoming. They are slowly creating some form of central government, but it's such a long way off, some think that they might be better off unifying together and requesting annexation to the NCR.

Zion Canyon Tribes - A collective term to describe the various tribes that exist in the Zion Canyon. This includes the Sorrows, the Dead Horses, and some New Canaanites.

On a tangentially related note: how do you normally read it? World A (like world-ay) or worlda as if the a is a part of the word?
World-uh.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Warning
I know that two people reported this as plagiarized, but they didn't give a link to the allegedly plagiarized source. The only link I've found here was this one:

This shows a radically different map whose only commonality is that some of the borders look vaguely similar.

People reporting plagiarism really should give the mods a link to the work that's been plagiarized.

I'm reversing the kick.

As the one that reported the map I'm gonna have to disagree hard with that assessment. There are a number of factors that make them quite similar and an accusation of plagiarism wholly credible. The maps are not radically different, namely the proportions of factions (distended Chicago, blobby Texas and California, a Bostonian faction, and a discontiguous Southern faction) are the same bar Ohio, some borders are straight rips, and others (so far as I can tell) are 90-degree turns of borders from the original map. That doesn't come across as a coincidental convergence but someone trying to cover their ass. Furthermore, the idea of an anarchic collapse with hundreds of little factions is reasonably unique and attributable to Mattystereo, particularly in a WorldA format.

The definition of plagiarism isn't that the borders or scenario have to match up identically, it's that someone creates a comparable product using motifs, information or ideas from another person without crediting or acknowledging them. As this person has done this three times before (ItsaMapping is clearly Itsa, c'mon) it seems entirely plausible that the same thing has occurred here. I know AH.com doesn't adhere to strict legal definitions but if this isn't plagiarism then your definition must be very narrow.

Last edited:
As the one that reported the map I'm gonna have to disagree hard with that assessment. There are a number of factors that make them quite similar and an accusation of plagiarism wholly credible. The maps are not radically different, namely the proportions of factions (distended Chicago, blobby Texas and California, a Bostonian faction, and a discontiguous Southern faction) are the same bar Ohio, some borders are straight rips, and others (so far as I can tell) are 90-degree turns of borders from the original map.
1591072203488.png

I combined the two maps in PDN. The black borders are from Itsa, and the colors are from Mattystereo's map. There are very few similarities, I think, at least in terms of the map.

EDIT: JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE STOP LIKING THIS POST I MADE EXACTLY ZERO OF THIS

Last edited:
As the one that reported the map I'm gonna have to disagree hard with that assessment. There are a number of factors that make them quite similar and an accusation of plagiarism wholly credible. The maps are not radically different, namely the proportions of factions (distended Chicago, blobby Texas and California, a Bostonian faction, and a discontiguous Southern faction) are the same bar Ohio, some borders are straight rips, and others (so far as I can tell) are 90-degree turns of borders from the original map. That doesn't come across as a coincidental convergence but someone trying to cover their ass. Furthermore, the idea of an anarchic collapse with hundreds of little factions is reasonably unique and attributable to Mattystereo, particularly in a WorldA format.

The definition of plagiarism isn't that the borders or scenario have to match up identically, it's that someone creates a comparable product using motifs, information or ideas from another person without crediting or acknowledging them. As this person has done this three times before (ItsaMapping is clearly Itsa, c'mon) it seems entirely plausible that the same thing has occurred here. I know AH.com doesn't adhere to strict legal definitions but if this isn't plagiarism then your definition must be very narrow.
Eh, I'm inclined to disagree. Texas and cali being huge are common tropes, Boston is a pretty important city, and both discontinous factions are New Afrikas from the look of things. The idea of an idea belonging to someone is a tad strange- does HeX own Ameriwanks? Sure, he's made the best Ameriwank I've ever seen, but he doesn't get to throw bolts of lightning at people who make Ameriwanks too- I don't see why such a chaotic level of civil war should be owned by MS, even if he does make the better product than Itsa in my opinion.

He's clearly ItsaMapping, sure, but that doesn't really mean much- I have a hard time reconciling the accusations against him there as legitimate as well.

Furthermore, the idea of an anarchic collapse with hundreds of little factions is reasonably unique and attributable to Mattystereo, particularly in a WorldA format.
America collapsing or being replaced by a multitude of small states is a pretty common trope and absolutely not unique or attributable to any one person.

Isaac Beach

Banned
View attachment 553419
I combined the two maps in PDN. The black borders are from Itsa, and the colors are from Mattystereo's map. There are very few similarities, I think, at least in terms of the map.

You've completely missed my point, I already said that borders don't have to be identical in order for a charge of plagiarism to hold. They need to be too comparable for coincidence, and they are. If all it took for something not to be plagiarism was to change a pixel then no one on this site would ever have been kicked for it.

Eh, I'm inclined to disagree. Texas and cali being huge are common tropes, Boston is a pretty important city, and both discontinous factions are New Afrikas from the look of things. The idea of an idea belonging to someone is a tad strange- does HeX own Ameriwanks? Sure, he's made the best Ameriwank I've ever seen, but he doesn't get to throw bolts of lightning at people who make Ameriwanks too- I don't see why such a chaotic level of civil war should be owned by MS, even if he does make the better product than Itsa in my opinion.

He's clearly ItsaMapping, sure, but that doesn't really mean much- I have a hard time reconciling the accusations against him there as legitimate as well.

America collapsing or being replaced by a multitude of small states is a pretty common trope and absolutely not unique or attributable to any one person.

It's not about the trope, it's about how it's used. Itsa's map is comparable and evocative in too many ways to Matt's for it to be a case of coincidence. None of this would be a problem if he had simply credited Matt. I am using the legal definition that I have been taught in law school. HeX couldn't get angry at any Ameriwank, but one where internal state borders are suspiciously close to his own would be cause for accusation, which is also why the three instances of theft of the southern borders from Matt's Up From the Fields map hold. It's not any random civil war or American collapse, it's a specific application of that trope.

Last edited:
It's not permissable to use 04b03. Not because it's plagiarizing, just because it's not good to use unless your goal is illegibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.