Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ochre Skies

I participated in a Telephone Map Game on this site a while back and intended to make a map that combined all of the maps together into one coherent universe, but then I forgot about it until now and decided to just finish it already. I had to change or ignore a few things for the sake of keeping everything consistent, but other than that, I tried to keep as many elements of the original maps as I could.

The approximate PoD is that a United Kingdom of England and France was formed at some point in the medieval period, probably during the Hundred Years' War. Columbus was butterflied away, and a more honest explorer landed in the Americas and brought back much less embellished tales of his "discovery." As a result, Europe ends up focusing on Asia more than the Americas (known as the Hesperias ITTL), with brutal colonialism somewhere between OTL Africa and the OTL Americas imposed on eastern Asia over the next few centuries. China and Japan (known as Cathay and Nihon here) manage to flee to the Hesperias and establish settlements on the west coast, though they stubbornly maintain that they will retake their homelands in the future. Europeans do eventually start colonizing the Hesperias as well, but it's rather slower than OTL, resulting in many more of the Native Hesperians surviving, to the point that the Iroquois are able to briefly establish a massive Native Hesperian confederation covering much of eastern North Hesperia known as the Confederacy of Turtle Island, but it unfortunately ends up falling apart and being forced west thanks to colonists from the Kingdom of Scandica-Norway, which had by now gotten bored of pillaging Asia. The Union of European Communes forms from the United Kingdom of England and France, and though the British Isles eventually manage to break off from the UEC, they're never quite as powerful as they once were. A semi-Cold War of sorts proceeds to break out, with the UEC on one side and pretty much the entire rest of the world on the other, save for some of the UEC's allies like India and Abyssinia. French republicans go into exile in North America, and there are briefly two conflicting French Republics-in-exile, one in *Quebec and one in Louisiana (same name, different origins), before the former is brutally crushed by the North Korea-esque rogue state of Alba Nuadh. The UEC collapses under its own weight in 1999, and the autocratic Russian Empire becomes the absolute global hegemon as the ex-UEC states decline in power and become increasingly impoverished.

In 2020, Russia is still the global hyperpower, though there are some trouble spots, such as the Commune of India (which is still a very *Maoist place), Alba Nuadh (which is growing even worse as time goes on), the Lord's State of Mejico (Aztec-founded rogue state with a syncretic religion combining all the worst aspects of Catholicism and the native religions), and Georgiana (a Cherokee/Calusa-dominated former British colony in North Hesperia that's rising to become a notable anti-Russian regional power, along with the other states in the Nonaligned Pact). Additionally, Russia's nationalistic authoritarianism is growing increasingly unappealing to the populace, and it may just collapse like the old UEC did. Technology is about thirty years behind OTL, and it's still a very racist world, albeit more of the "you don't look like me/worship the same god as me, so I'm going to oppress/kill you now" type- scientific racism was never really a thing in this world.

View attachment 548902
What the fuck happened to China

Crosspost from MotF 216
Botswana a Subsidiary of the Debeers Corporation:
ddxfza1-f975f9a9-9c8c-45eb-86b9-dca99123bc65.png

Map text:
"Starting in the 1990's the DeBeers corporation negotiated a series of exclusive mining contracts with the Batswana government which severly limited the operations of their competitors. In the subsequent decades DeBeers and Botswana fostered a mutually beneficial relationship which led to the Debeers corporation acquiring the country in May of 2020. This was a monumental event as it was the first time a company legally owned a country and has overall been seen as a bad decision. In the following years the administration of the country has been mismanaged and many sectors of the economy have struggled with bureaucratic waste and rampant corruption which lead to increased dependence on the profitable mining industry."

Crosspost from MotF 216
Botswana a Subsidiary of the Debeers Corporation:
ddxfza1-f975f9a9-9c8c-45eb-86b9-dca99123bc65.png

Map text:
"Starting in the 1990's the DeBeers corporation negotiated a series of exclusive mining contracts with the Batswana government which severly limited the operations of their competitors. In the subsequent decades DeBeers and Botswana fostered a mutually beneficial relationship which led to the Debeers corporation acquiring the country in May of 2020. This was a monumental event as it was the first time a company legally owned a country and has overall been seen as a bad decision. In the following years the administration of the country has been mismanaged and many sectors of the economy have struggled with bureaucratic waste and rampant corruption which lead to increased dependence on the profitable mining industry."
Batswana? Do they use ecolocation to find diamond deposits?

ddwesok-13ef5702-f0e3-40fd-a974-4ae6e0015e80.png

A dumb little thing I've been working on on and off for the last month. I'm imagining this world's Taiping Empire becoming a major power in the late 20th and early 21st centuries.

The POD, I imagine, is the Taiping Emperor really is Jesus's younger brother. :winkytongue:

I was almost done with that "sight of your map largely unseen" cover of your Spaghetti on the Steppe scenario, but I did have one question: what and where is Janubaljibal? It's not mentioned in the text, and due to the nature of this little project, I can't really check your map. :)

Inspired by the Fantasque Time Line | 1940 - La France continue la guerre (France Fights On)

View attachment 548903

December 31 1942
  • The Anglo-American-French forces have secured half of the Italian boot (including Rome) before the Germans. Italy is facing a civil war between the north led by the fascist republic of Mussolini and the south led by the pro-Allied monarchy.
  • British, Greek and French forces have liberated the Peloponnese Peninsula and most of the Aegean Islands, Operation Owl is scheduled for the next year to liberate Athens.
  • Algiers is preparing the last details to the invasion of Sardinia and the liberation of Corsica.
  • In an agreement arranged by France and Great Britain, the monarchist and communist Yugoslav partisans have reached an agreement to commonly fight against the Germans and their collaborators.
  • The Finnish front has stagnated as Helsinki (with secret support from London and Algiers) negotiates a peace agreement with Moscow.
  • Odessa is still under German-Romanian siege, supplies by sea continue under heavy air attacks.
  • The Soviet forces have encircled the last German forces in Kiev in a small pocket in the centre of the city, the Dniepr frontline has become impenetrable for the Germans.
Really interesting and well-made map! Is there still a "French State" in metropolitan France? Who runs it and what is its relationship with the France of Algeria? Moreover there is no zone of occupation in France by Germany?

Thirsd_American_Republic_World_map.jpg

World map I did a while ago in the same universe as my third American republic map.
Took some time before I could figure out how to read it again.
instructions on how to read are here:
Thirsd_American_Republic_World_map_how_to_read.jpg

Apologies for the horrendously large British empire, and the no effort Raj.

World map I did a while ago in the same universe as my third American republic map.

Russian Hawaii? Also what kind of curse is that Germany? Interesting aesthetic with the stripes however.

Russian Hawaii? Also what kind of curse is that Germany? Interesting aesthetic with the stripes however.
Ok so I'll preface this with the fact that i don't remember that well, but yes that is Russian Hawaii, and I believe that post revolution Germany has be divided into rationalized segments based on latitude and longitude lines with portions of those adminstered by the revolutionary army and not the civilian Gov't. Honestly I think there is worse stuff in here Paris is governed by the military etc.

My eyes! They burn! Why, why have you chosen to use the very scourge upon this earth that is the Mercator projection? This is a direct violation of the Geneva Convention!

The POD, I imagine, is the Taiping Emperor really is Jesus's younger brother. :winkytongue:

I was almost done with that "sight of your map largely unseen" cover of your Spaghetti on the Steppe scenario, but I did have one question: what and where is Janubaljibal? It's not mentioned in the text, and due to the nature of this little project, I can't really check your map. :)
Janubaljibal is in Algeria. I'm really excited to see this.

Really interesting and well-made map! Is there still a "French State" in metropolitan France? Who runs it and what is its relationship with the France of Algeria? Moreover there is no zone of occupation in France by Germany?
1-. Yes, the French State is the collaborationist government. It's run by Pierre Laval.
2-. The French State claims that the French Republic in Algiers is "sold to anglo-arab-judeo-bolsheviks that try to destroy the French identity" or whatever bulls**t nazi collaborators think.
3-. Yes there will be a French occupation Zone in Germany, in Baden-Württemberg and the Rhineland.

78lg0vx5lkz41.png

Hey looks it's another giant Q-Bam that I had to upload to reddit first because it's too damn large for AH.com's image attachment to handle.

This is the sequel to and set later in the timeline of a map I made about 7-8 months ago. The primary (given the fact that I am a complete hack, my TL obviously has multiple PoDs) point of divergence is the Arab/Muslim forces losing the Battle of Yarmouk, followed by the Romans and Muslims splitting Persia down the middle as the latter continues to invade eastward. Hence, islamic India, China, etc. I wrote like 1700 words on the image (which actually isn't as much as previously), so I'm not gonna write much here. Ask away if there are questions.

I also just posted this map over on r/IM like seven minutes ago. There's a link to the previous map in the TL over there.

1-. Yes, the French State is the collaborationist government. It's run by Pierre Laval.
2-. The French State claims that the French Republic in Algiers is "sold to anglo-arab-judeo-bolsheviks that try to destroy the French identity" or whatever bulls**t nazi collaborators think.
3-. Yes there will be a French occupation Zone in Germany, in Baden-Württemberg and the Rhineland.
We misunderstood each other for not "3": Why doesn't the Third Reich occupy the North of France and the Atlantic coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.