Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, was there also a large number of Chinese-speakers who settled here, particularly in Yazhiwangan? There's no 'zh' sound in Japanese. I'm assuming that the name Gontu is either derived from the Saitama dialect or an artifact of linguistic change, given that 'tu' is also not a valid sound in modern standard Japanese. The coconut and peanut satay culinary influences suggest migration from South-East Asia, most likely Malaysia or Indonesia.

Karl Marx spoke repeatedly and passionately in condemnation of chattel slavery, and furthermore in explicit condemnation of the British press's tacit support for the Confederacy. The premise of this scenario is completely insane.
Presumably, just like every other flavor of communism to ever exist, the Manhattan Commune doesn't adhere stritctly to every line in the Communist Manifesto.

Also, a Karl Marx who emigrated to the US is unlikely to develop the same exact ideology as the one who was born and raised in Germany.

Presumably, just like every other flavor of communism to ever exist, the Manhattan Commune doesn't adhere stritctly to every line in the Communist Manifesto.

Also, a Karl Marx who emigrated to the US is unlikely to develop the same exact ideology as the one who was born and raised in Germany.
A nation which uses the Communist Manifesto as the basis of it's ideology is doing a communism wrong.

It's also called a People's Republic of China

Deleted member 87099

That's a much easier line to push when the country's leader isn't literally Karl Marx.

That's a much easier line to push when the country's leader isn't literally Karl Marx.
I highly doubt that even the man who wrote the rules himself would directly follow them to the letter. And, like I said, a Karl Marx who emigrated to the US is an entirely different man with an entirely different set of beliefs, experiences, and values. It's not absurd for him to grow up in 19th century NYC and turn out a bleeding racist. That's why the Draft Riots happened IOTL, after all, and New York City was quite against the Union's presence in the war and the way they were running things.

Deleted member 87099

I highly doubt that even the man who wrote the rules himself would directly follow them to the letter. And, like I said, a Karl Marx who emigrated to the US is an entirely different man with an entirely different set of beliefs, experiences, and values. It's not absurd for him to grow up in 19th century NYC and turn out a bleeding racist. That's why the Draft Riots happened IOTL, after all, and New York City was quite against the Union's presence in the war and the way they were running things.

Then what's the point of making it Marx.

I'm not saying that Marx himself doesn't have any authoritarian tendencies (he did have a nonchalant attitude towards the pitfalls of mob rule) but its clown shoes to make him an ally to the Confederacy.

Directly following your own rules to the letter is one thing; openly allying with and acting to advance the interests of a nation fundamentally against every part of them is another! Nowhere does it say that he immigrated to the US as a child, and I find it extremely difficult to believe that anyone opposed to relatively tame "wage slavery" could ever possibly condone literal chattel slavery. They're two viewpoints so diametrically opposed that I doubt anyone holding both could ever have the competence and ideological consistency necessary to lead a revolutionary movement (not like Marx was particularly revolutionarily inclined IOTL, though living in a country where slavery was practiced may have radicalized him...). As for the draft riots, you're right, they were lead by racists IOTL, which is why Karl Marx leading them is also insane.

Last edited:
And, like I said, a Karl Marx who emigrated to the US is an entirely different man with an entirely different set of beliefs, experiences, and values.

And if Hitler had been abandoned in Tehran as a baby, he probably would be a Farsi-speaking Muslim. But in that case he probably doesn't become Fuhrer of Germany and invade the Soviet Union. :biggrin:

This started as a throwaway joke and turned into far too much work, because I was dumb enough to try and be semi-historically correct in drawing borders.

Quintuple.png

ddxafkd-9ec9e1be-5a79-493a-b178-057514c16235.png

The Ruby Circle! A Tale of Terror, Love, ACTION, Slavery, and REDS!

It was in the year 1863 that the UNION fought against the forces of SLAVERY in their midst The great WAR BETWEEN THE STATES raged on. However, there were WORMS nested in the heart of Lady Columbia: I speak, of course, of IMMIGRANTS: lead by the KRAUT KARL MARX, the paupers of New York City rose up in revolt against the draft. Soon, the rebellion spread ACROSS THE NORTHEAST, and the AMERICAN INDUSTRIAL COMMUNE was declared. The men of DIXIE rode north, and together the REDS and the GREYS overthrew the United States.

Today, the world stands divided between the forces of SLAVERY and the forces of LIBERTY. The vast CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA have only expanded the pernicious grasp of CHATTEL SLAVERY from agriculture to industry. Even more, they continue to spread their influence throughout the CARRIBBEAN, invading and SUBDUING the many free republics of that land. Indeed, the Confederacy can even be found in DARKEST AFRICA, where with the help of their DASTARDLY BOER TOADIES they continue to enslave the free and noble African!

They do this with the help of AMERICAN COMMUNE. It is said that all men in the Commune are equal, but indeed, some are MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS. The Commune is an INDUSTRIAL and ECONOMIC POWERHOUSE, the center of most of the confederacy's BANKING and MERCHANT activity. Indeed, slavery may not be legal in the Commune, but its continued existence is only ensured by the blood-stained cotton of the South! The mighty navy of the Commune establishes communes across the globe. They preach to the locals that they will be free under Communal rule; they libel the freedom loving powers as COLONIALIST! But the truth is the colonies of the Commune are mires of slavery, existing only to supply the metropole!

Together, the two states work together in a system called "THE RUBY CIRCLE"!

Indeed, the Ruby Circle has its co-conspirators across the world. The EMPIRE of BRAZIL, a state much like the Confederacy, maintains the institution of slavery, and seeks to kill the noble Indian. There is the TSARDOM of RUSSIA, where the serfs toil in the mud for their Autocrat. In Japan, all men are slaves to the GOD-EMPEROR. In Prussia, the Army is the master, all peole servants to its maniacal ends.

These forces are opposed by the forces of LIBERTY, those grand old states that believe in truth, freedom, and civilization - civilization above all, which they spread to the less fortunate peoples of the world for the small price of their service to civilization until such a time as they may be educated to a point of responsibility. Quite the bargain!

The two great alliances stand at odds, contesting the future of humanity. There are many battlefronts, but the two greatest are to be found in the torrid jungles of South America, and in the Mysterious Orient. In the land known as Guiana, a border dispute between the CONFEDERATE PUPPET of GREAT COLOMBIA and British Guiana threatens to escalate into open war. The British could appease the Slavers by surrendering the people of Guiana, but finally! They are insisting: NO MORE!

Meanwhile in the East, a mysterious revolt has overtaken the peasants of the decrepit Empire of China. What is worse, they have put the legations and cessions of the Civilied Power under siege! What drives these superstitious peasants to rise up? Only Heaven knows, but it may have something to do with all of those Manhattan-marked gunboats and traders, and the Diabolical Dr. Fang who has recently come to power in the Republic of Thibet...

Can you lead the forces of liberty to triumph? Can you bring an end to the scourge of communalism? Can you untangle the Ruby Circle?

-------------------------------------------------

I started this map Christ knows how long ago just based off of a silly idea when watching Gangs of New York: What if the rioters in the Manhattan Draft Riot inspire a general revolt across the northeast? What if it took on shades of the Paris Commune? And just for good measure, what if we threw in Karl Marx himself?

The result is underpolished and I'm not entirely happy with, but it is pulpy and fun. The essential focus is a small northeastern communalist state that acts as a mercantile republic in service to the CSA. Interesting, but could have done better with it. Oh well.

Wrote the description as if it were for an RPG setting. Do I have any intention of running it? Absolutely not!

Are there notes to go along with the numbers on the map?

This started as a throwaway joke and turned into far too much work, because I was dumb enough to try and be semi-historically correct in drawing borders.

View attachment 548437

>Huge Poland
>Does not have Lithuania, Ruthenia, the Baltic States or European Russia

Last edited:
@Flashman I will keep my comments and questions until you show us the footnotes, but I see some problems in Austria. You have the classic problem form maps that show East Tyrol separate from North Tyrol and South Tyrol (I suspect people make the WWI base maps after the WWII ones) and Austrian Silesia is separate from the rest of it. Also still have the Military Zones in Croatia and Slavonia. While they might have theoretically kept them around, as you gave Croatia Dalmatia here I am guessing it was just overlooked. I also think that Armenia would either be annexed to Russia or the lands would be combined, possibly as part of the grand Trebizond you have here. Ahhh, and why give Carinthia a coastline?

Interesting, was there also a large number of Chinese-speakers who settled here, particularly in Yazhiwangan? There's no 'zh' sound in Japanese. I'm assuming that the name Gontu is either derived from the Saitama dialect or an artifact of linguistic change, given that 'tu' is also not a valid sound in modern standard Japanese. The coconut and peanut satay culinary influences suggest migration from South-East Asia, most likely Malaysia or Indonesia.

Most of what you're noticing is related to linguistic change- in Tabijanese what was modern Japanese ch has shifted to j, and sh has shifted to zh, along with ō shifting to u and u shifting to o (Gontu would have been Guntō in modern Japanese). There's also several examples of metathesis at work with place names; Tabijana was, originally, Tachibana, and Gasamihara was originally Sagamihara for instance. If anything I felt Tabijanese might be relatively conservative with the 700+ year time gap, in terms of changes, but it's far from the only modern Japanese descended language in the 28th century!

Karl Marx spoke repeatedly and passionately in condemnation of chattel slavery, and furthermore in explicit condemnation of the British press's tacit support for the Confederacy. The premise of this scenario is completely insane.
It's a different Karl Marx, he moved to New York City as a child. And the British were more cozy with the Confederacy then they'd like to admit at the time - that big Dakotan province in Canada? Yeah, they got that when carving the big turkey.

Because it's fun and it's pulpy.

Are there notes to go along with the numbers on the map?
There were originally, but at this point the map is so silly that I don't really see much point.

Last edited:
Saxony-Hesse-Lüneburg is the most beautiful thing I have seen, but I think calling it Saxony would be enough. Lüneburg itself was a remnant of the old Saxon stemduchy and the electorate of Saxony is higher in rank than both Hesse and Lüneburg.

Mind if I make a cover of your map?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

I'm not saying that Marx himself doesn't have any authoritarian tendencies (he did have a nonchalant attitude towards the pitfalls of mob rule) but its clown shoes to make him an ally to the Confederacy.
Directly following your own rules to the letter is one thing; openly allying with and acting to advance the interests of a nation fundamentally against every part of them is another! Nowhere does it say that he immigrated to the US as a child, and I find it extremely difficult to believe that anyone opposed to relatively tame "wage slavery" could ever possibly condone literal chattel slavery. They're two viewpoints so diametrically opposed that I doubt anyone holding both could ever have the competence and ideological consistency necessary to lead a revolutionary movement (not like Marx was particularly revolutionarily inclined IOTL, though living in a country where slavery was practiced may have radicalized him...). As for the draft riots, you're right, they were lead by racists IOTL, which is why Karl Marx leading them is also insane.
Are y'all really debating Marx in the bleedin' MAP THREAD?

Don't do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.