Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lusitania

Donor
I decided to make a better version of the map, and also explain some of my choices.

I added the German regions. In the west is Burgundian German. It has many borrowed words from French. In the early 1800s it was standardized as Burgundy became the hegemon of the German states and is the administrative dialect of Germany.

In northwest are the Franconian languages, which have many legal terms borrowed from French due to crossover with administration from Burgundians. Then in the east you have central, low and high German. Local dialects are taught in schools, very little if any language control by the government. High German is gradually shrinking some however.

Basque is added back. It does make sense it wouldn't be supplanted by 1900.

It is being replaced with Spanish as Spanish is the language taught in schools. It is a slow dying out process that the government instituted to help centralize the empire (I posted a political map a few pages back).

The red area near Anatolia is Kurdish, there was a large migration of people escaping the Mongols who never enter Anatolia ittl. I added the languages in North Africa. Yellowish are the Berber languages. Green hues are arabic.

Libyan Arabic is shown in light purple because it was formally Greek territory until 1800s and has some Greek linguistic influences. Honestly Arabic dialects should probably be MORE divided than this because of the political history is much more divided than OTL., but I am not really sure how to split it much more, open to suggestions.

South of Persia is Aramaic, but more persian influence.

Surviving Turkish languages, I am not sure what dialects would be most likely to survive. Language is under long period of harsh oppression.

Added Polish dialects. Low Polish, High Polish, Galician (differentiated over time as it was a separate political entity) and Eastern Polish (notable lack of Latin and German loanwords as in other Polish dialects, presence of Greek and other Slavic loanwords)) . The area west of Galicia speaks Ruthenian, it was a buffer state established and many Rusyn people settled there displacing the Hungarian and Polish speakers there.

Poland came to dominate the Lithuanian area. A lack of Rus unification meant that the Polish people were able to conquer lands further East and were less under threat than otl. Lithuania never existed as a distinct independent unit and the language did not spread much out of the local region.

Bulgarians migrated there during OTL, I thought it happened earlier than it did, so I removed them. That was a mistake in my research haha.

The Magyar were there before the POD so I didn't change that area, however there is a more easterly Hungary which can be seen on the political map.

Ukranian area is a rus language, as is the language to the north. They are similar so I changed the shades.

I added the Caucasian languages. I actually decided that a large Turkish migration from Anatolia should have occured. The Green languages in this area are Turkic languages, red/ pink are Caucasian.

I fixed the Finnish color.

English based Germanic language. Normandy was held by England for 150 years or so (not sure exact timeline) and language overlap become very great. Which drained resources and allowed Scotland to become much more powerful. French is still a large minority language in the area mostly in villages and such.

I also added the langues o'il in France.

Scottish is the dominate language replacing Scots. Scotland, Ireland and Wales are unified. Scottish is gradually replacing the other languages as modernization occurs. Much less dying off than seen in OTL because Scottish are not actively oppressing the other languages, just a gradual decline as centralization occurs.

Israel is controlled by the Greeks as is Tunis since the 1300s. Greek is the lingua franca, It is likely to be a very minor majority of speakers. Maybe I should change it.

I do agree that Greek probably would not supplant Albanian with the POD. Honestly I just thought it was interesting. Changed.

aKkRA2H.png
Sorry the Iberian peninsula has gone from incorrect to worse. Unless you advocating genocide the Portuguese would not accept the destruction of their language. The Spanish for all their power and wealth would not be able to supplant Portuguese just like they not able to supplant basque. Even the Galicians after centuries of forced to be part of Spain still speak their language. Same with Welch today. Yes they may speak Main language but that not the language of day to day of home. No government program will eradicate that.

There's quite a few British screws on the site, some entire TLs based around the idea. It's just an idea that has gotten done to death on the site, much like many AH tropes and ideas, so there aren't a lot of maps that focus on it anymore.

While this is true, Britwanks are much more common. Actually I had an idea of wanking less wanked/often screwed nations and vice versa but that would require a bunch of research into the Map Threads and AH.com at large that I am not willing to invest in at this time. Mexico comes to mind quite easily however (another is Turkey/Ottoman Empire). While Britain and US are quite possibly the most wanked nations. With Germany often getting wanked but also (admittedly less often) never unifies or is permanently divided after WW2. Anyway that is a concept I might return to later.

Is it a republic or an empire (if the second, what house)?
It's an Empire, but it's ironically more democratic than the 'Union of Europan Republics', which is basically just an Oligarchy. the house is officially the house of Hapsburg-Lorraine, but it's an offshoot of it with an exiled obscure spanish nobility.

I imagine 2017 is an artifact from the basemap and 1900-1950 (most probably to the earlier side of this) is the more correct date?
the date is around 1920, i'd say.

Also native run *Nigeria with three Southern/Dixie *Liberias if I am reading this right?
Change that to Sokoto and Carolinan, and yes (the 3 liberias are (left to right) Libertalia, the Pepper Coast Republic, and the Ivory Coast)

It's an Empire, but it's ironically more democratic than the 'Union of Europan Republics', which is basically just an Oligarchy. the house is officially the house of Hapsburg-Lorraine, but it's an offshoot of it with an exiled obscure spanish nobility.

the date is around 1920, i'd say.

Change that to Sokoto and Carolinan, and yes (the 3 liberias are (left to right) Libertalia, the Pepper Coast Republic, and the Ivory Coast)

1: That explains the mega-France.
2: I mean, I used both Nigeria and South/Dixie as provisional names since I didn't know what you called them but nice to know.

ever-base3-1.png

Most Recent African Sovereignty

Same rules as my previous European map. Representing countries with a capital in Georaphic Africa. This one shows that Africa had much less reach, with trans-continental expansion being limited to Egyptians and Amazigh, or foreigners setting up their own states in Africa.

1. Morocco from the Almoravid takeover of Taifa Andalusia
2. Tunisia from the thassalocratic regimes of Carthage and Vandalia
3. Egypt from the classical period through Fatimid Caliphate and Mamlukes, etc
4. Tanzania from the Omani Sultanate briefly migrating to Zanzibar
5. South Africa due to some Antarctic Islands the British handed them for administrative purposes

Only fully independent countries are shown, which excludes African-based regimes that were loyal to another polity, such as France-in-Exile and the Roman Remnant / Byzantine Excharate of Africa.

Last edited:
View attachment 546594

Most Recent African Sovereignty

Same rules as my previous European map. Representing countries with a capital in Georaphic Africa. This one shows that Africa had much less reach, with trans-continental expansion being limited to Egyptians and Amazigh, or foreigners setting up their own states in Africa.

1. Morocco from the Almoravid takeover of Taifa Andalusia
2. Tunisia from the thassalocratic regimes of Carthage and Vandalia
3. Egypt from the classical period through Fatimid Caliphate and Mamlukes, etc
4. Tanzania from the Omani Sultanate briefly migrating to Zanzibar
5. South Africa due to some Antarctic Islands the British handed them for administrative purposes

Only fully independent countries are shown, which excludes African-based regimes that were loyal to another polity, such as France-in-Exile and the Roman Remnant / Byzantine Excharate of Africa.

Shouldn't Ethiopia have some parts of southern Yemen?

Shouldn't Ethiopia have some parts of southern Yemen?

Blame the dang colors for blending together in my reference maps. After some quick research, I found a reference to an Axumite Kingdom in the mid Sixth-Century having some influence in yemen. I even found a worlda template hiding in the old resources page. Though I doubt the accuracy of such a map of pre-islamic arabia.

Anyway, here's a fix

ever-base3-1.png

Last edited:
Ardulkhadra (Europe without a Roman Empire)
ptzsja2oimx41.png

Ardulkhadra, the ‘Land of Green’ is a subcontinent on the massive continent of Aryosina (Asia). This is a very unique place of land, representing a culture clash between Chirstians, Muslims, Pagans and Animists.

The continent was home to two different general cultural and geographic regions, the North and the Medditeranian basin. The North was always historically Pagan/Animist, but the medditeranian region was a major melting point. It was originally dominated by greeks and carthaginians, but now is mainly under islamic culture, with a lot of christian influences.

There has been quite a bit of a merger between medditeranian and north european culture in the last millenium, mainly due to islamic outreach onto the atlantic coast and Shamlohrd (Scandinavia). There have also been large christian movements in the Caucasus and the Balkans. Let us look over some of the countries in this continent.

Albayun: Originally a strong foothold of Celtic traditions, Albayun became very much islamicized by secularist sufi muslims from the Yasrid sect. The islands are now staunchly entrenched in that religion, and have since spread it to nearby Shamlorhd and later, nearly all corners of the world as the Bayunu managed to control the largest naval empire in all of history, even surpassing Nusantara, Oman, Galliard, Andalus and even China in terms of it's outreach. It was the heartland of the industrial revolution, and today stands as a very wealthy and highly developed country.

Galliard: Once a region full of divided tribes and warring states, Galliard has united into the true powerhouse of Ardulkhadra. This is a massive nation with over a hundred million souls, which is one of the world's richest countries and of near superpower status. This country represents Ardulkhadra more than any other, being a half pagan half muslim nation with several diverse culturers, united under the Galliardian banner. There is a general divide between the Muslims in the coast and the Kalqui pagans in the valleys, but these are generally fading away in favor of a pan Gallian identity, and in many places these religions blend together. The country is also home to a thriving culinary, music and art culture, well known all over the world.

Shamlohrd: A country located on the peninsula of the same name at the north of Ardulkhadra, the Shamlohrdis used to once be feared naval pirates and plunderers. With the arrival of Yasrid preachers from Albayun, they began to settle, and today have the world’s highest living standards.

Suomilard: A massive nation located in the far north of the subcontinent, Suomilard has felt a fair bit of Yasrid influence, but it remains mainly Suomic pagan to this day. It is known as a stereotypical winter wonderland, with snowly landscapes dominating the countryside. The country also has a high living standard.

Guhthia: One of the more pagan inclined regions of Ardulkhadra, Guhthia is generally known as strange yet cultured. It is well known for its magnificent temple architecture and culinary traditions, as well as oppression by Galliardian kingdoms to the east. Guthia has managed to survive, and today is known as one of the more prominent of the Deuchian cultures of Ardulkhadra, sometimes even surpassing Qhadilard. The country mainly follows Kalqui paganism, along with some Romuvi and Islamic influence in the north.

Ghbsida: A generally small and quaint little country, Ghbsida is a mostly pagan, Deuchian country, not too different from Guhthia. The country once used to be at the helm of a large empire, but is now a quaint little corner in Ardulkhadra.

Romuvia: This is probably the most staunchly pagan region of Ardulkhadra, with these traditions being well integrated into the nations government itself. The country is a small nation located around the Baltic sea, and is home to a very unique group of people with interesting customs and traditions. It is not a very wealthy country by Ardulkhadran standards, but is definitely a unique place worth a visit.

Mukhranam: Another Kalqui pagan and Deuchian country, Mukhranam is a leading center for finance and business. It was devastated heavity by wars in the last century, but has risen up and become a fairly prominent power. The country has a rich poetic culture as well as a well known literature tradition.

Qhadilard: Descended from the mighty Qhadian kingdoms, this country is the leading Deuchian power, having a big militaristic and slightly authoritarian government, tracing its roots to the Deuchardian State that terrorised Ardulkhadra in the last century before breaking up. It is mostly in decline now, but it is still a cultured nation, even if they are losing it due to emigration and harsh government policy.

Datshia: Datshia is a small country, with a rich history as it is descended from the legendary Dacians of years prior, which used to be a major civilization in years prior. Their strength is long gone, but they still manage to hold out as a fairly significant power.

Arrus: The number two power in Ardulkhadra, Arrus is a large and powerful nation, with a massive agricultural economy and population. Descended from the old Slavic people, Arrus was islamicized by large numbers of missionaries and is now a strong bastion of the sunni islamic faith. Many languages are spoken here, but they all stand up for the Arruski identity that binds them together.

Kwimyina: This is not a very much Ardulkhadran power, but half of its population lies west of the Dulkhadi mountains. Kwimyina is a massive and vast country spanning the northern regions of Aryosina, with a sparsely populated population. It has a massive agriculture and technology industry, and is mainly of mixed muslim and tengri in population. There are many smaller ethnicities that live in the Kwimyini Federation, which each have their own cultures.

Bulghur: A small country hailing from what was once a northern region of Kwimyina, the Bulghuris managed to stand down invasions from their three stronger neighbors. They have a strange Slavo-uralic culture.

Bespouran: The last remnant of the once mighty Scytian culture (with Greek influence), Bespouran is one of the stronger powers in Ardulkhadra. It has always been known for its strong warriors, but is now one of the leading countries in athletics in the world. Although it was once a wealthy kingdom, the country has been in decline for centuries, but still is well known in the region. The country mainly is sunni muslim, like their neighbors, with some christian influence.

Mcyarnep: Mcyarnep traces its origins to the Hunnic empire, and is now a quaint little country in the caucasus. It is kind of irrelevant, but well known for its food and dance. Its population mainly subscribes to Gnostic Christianity.

Imertia: This is a very strange country with a bizarre language and customs, but it is a beautiful yet secludied country. Imertia has many historical wonders and sights, and is today a mainly Gnostic country.

Oguzstan: Oguzstan is a nation based in the Southern Caucasus as well as Central Asia, being the leading Turkic nation and the heir to some mighty empires of the past. It has prospered from being on the center of silk road trade, and is a country with a very artsy and old timey flare. It is well known for its TV dramas.

Hayastan: Hayastan is home to the world’s largest Christian population, which is divided into a ton of different sects and branches. Hayastan is home to a very large mining and industrial economy, as well as a thriving art culture. It has a formidable military, and is often considered as a major regional power.

Ellaida: Probably being the most well known of the Christian countries of the world and the progenitor of Ardulkhadran civilisation, Ellaida is a large, wealthy and powerful nation. Its capital of Byzantium is the largest city in the subcontinent, and it has had a very prosperous history for nearly all of its existence. It is a major trade, transportation, industrial and economic powerhouse, as it has been for thousands of years. It is the seat of power for the Byzantine Pauline Church, the largest chirstian branch in the world.

Morea: Morea was one of the regions of Ellaida that was more inclined toward paganism, and it has long since left the sphere of Ellaida. It follows a reformed branch of old Hellenic paganism, and is today a country with an industry mainly built around tourism and trade. The region of Crete, although having a similar religion, wishes to break away from Morea soon.

Trakya: Trakya is one of the three Danubu states in the region, the others being Samtira and Muoisea. The people from Trakya are descended from the oldest of the Danubu cultures, and have built up a reputation hailing from them. The country is a large producer of Roses and Yogurt, and is Byzantine Christian, like the other Danubu states.

Samtira: Samtria is a mixed Datshian-Danubu-Duechian (yeah a lot of D’s) culture with a staunch Byzantine religious background. Pagan influences are still widespread though, and the country has a reputation for being very weird.

Muoisea: This is the largest of the Danubu countries, with the strongest economy and the largest population. Muoisea is a rich country, which has recovered from years of occupation under the Duechian Union and has since progressed into a land ruled by market forces, although this has raised some concerns in the public eye due to poor living standards. It is mostly Byzantine Christian, but has become very secular.

Paharndora: One of the two Illiric nations, the other being Illiri of course. Paharndora is similar to its southern neighbor, other than the fact that it subscribes to Kalqui paganism. It has recently gained independence after a brutal occupation under the Duechian Union.

Illiri: Not too different from Paharndora, Illiri is a Byzantine Christian country. It has a small economy, but it is growing faster than other countries in the region. Investment and development from Ellaida has spurred its growth, and it could be a major regional power soon.

Atrushka: This country is one of the major centers of art in the entire world, and was once at the forefront of technological progress. Atrushka is a very unique culture, having been descended from the ancient atrushkan tribes that inhabited the area. It is mainly islamic today, but quite a bit of the population still follows a form of paganism similar to that of Morea. Atrushka is home to many brilliantly designed mosques, palaces and ancient temples, which the world scrambles to see.

Lighuria: Lighuria is a Germanic-Celtic nation, not too different from the makeup of Albayun. It is home to a fruitful agricultural, tourism and financial economy, home to some technological smart cities that blend futuristic tech with old temples and streets. It is well known for its cuisine, admired across the world.

Uskara: Ardulkhadra is full of weird countries, languages and cultures, but this is probably the weirdest of them all. Uskara is home to people who speak a practically alien language, with some odd cultures that have been preserved in the face of Andalusi and Galliardian invasions and rule. The country mainly follows a bizarre feminist islamic religion.

Andalus: Andalus is one of the more influential and grandiose of the Ardulkhadran nations, and it mainly has done this by being a pioneer in exploration and conquest, conquering massive swaths of land in the Elmahnjran continents to the west. Today it is a wealthy and prosperous nation, and the Andalusian dialect of Arabic is practically the main language of the world.

Interesting map. I'd very much like to see your map of the Elmahnjran continents.

Map made by @Unkown00 on my request.
  • Second Italian Civil War in 1948 after Togliatti assassinated
  • December 1971 DC scandal
  • Slight modifications by me. Far right get elected in Italy in 1972, there are other PODs, I am bit tired to write them all again.

Attachments

• Map Request results.png
    Map Request results.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 320

Lusitania

Donor
Now come on, man. You know that just because something might be featured or hinted at in a TL doesn’t mean the author supports it.
I am insinuating he stated that. I ust stating that Portuguese language not be replaced by Spanish. Even with education

Last edited:
Blame the dang colors for blending together in my reference maps. After some quick research, I found a reference to an Axumite Kingdom in the mid Sixth-Century having some influence in yemen. I even found a worlda template hiding in the old resources page. Though I doubt the accuracy of such a map of pre-islamic arabia.

Anyway, here's a fix

View attachment 546606
Tunisian-based Fatimids held Sicily in Xth Century

berber invasion of sicily

ever since Gwafa II defeated 3 roman armies ( second battle of Argadir , battle of the dune , Battle of Leukaspis ) the berber emperor destroyed most roman north african armies where destroyed .

But the emperor did not want to conquer Alexandria as he would repeat the the deasasterous siege of Alexandria back in 740 , he first need it naval control ever since 836 with help from their vassal (the kingdom of hispania) with the king of hispania himself assiting in the conquest of the belaric islands from the romans , then bebers defeated the romans in naval battles conquering malta and invading corsica , also sicily due to the crisis in the roman empire that would be called the crisis of the 9th century roman response was slow due to that Constantine the governor of sicily betrayed the romans giving the berbers a permanet foothold in the island by 840 and by 845 the berbers had conquered a part of the west of the island along side the begining of the conquest of crete .

845.png

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
I am insinuating he stated that. I ust stating that Portuguese language not be replaced by Spanish. Even with education
Ok but Portuguese and Spanish not same as Parisian French and ocidental French. It like French and Italian. Neither language disappear if both countries ruled by single country.

Men in the High Castle 1962.png

Map of the world in the Man of the High Castle.
This map is my interpretation of how the world looks and works.

POSSIBLE VERSION OF THE TIMELINE.
After the death of a senator, FDR hoover was forced to remain in office. Eventually, his economic plans failed as well as the other president. WW2 go the same until 1940 when the Germans won the battle of Britain however would blockade the British. Stalin meanwhile would launch purges on many of his compenet generals as well as army official seems non-loyal. Eventually, the German invasion of Russia occurs, however, the Germans would be able to wear warmer clothes as well as Hitler using his general's advice. Eventually, the Japanese bombing of Pearl harbour would wipe the entirety of the US pacific fleet. The US attempted to rebuild its fleet but those would be much weaker. Eventually, the Germans capture Moscow and Russia falls into anarchy. The Italians who were more component would capture the Suez with turkey and Iraq hep. Eventually, other nations join the axis such as Afganistan and Argentina who invaded the allied neibourghs. Then in 1943, The Japanese would invade Australia and New Zealand and they both soon fall. Britain was soon invaded and conquered in 1945. In the mid 45's The Japanese and Germans launch operation eagle fall invading the US. San Fransisco and New York soon fall with the help of the sliver legion who launch a fascist rebellion in the US and Canada. by December the nazi nuke Washington and the US surrender however American guerillas as well as surviving allied nations continue to fight until 1947. Soon Germany invades Sweden and Switzerland. It is now 1962. A cold war occurs with Germany and Italy against Japan. Nuclear war seems inement as many fear the end of the world.

uDDMUIQ.png

A map of the Roman Empire at height of its territorial control in Europe in 1600 AD within my TL I have been posting the last few days.

The lightest shade are Vassals, second lightest are within Empire but decentralized administrative control, the second darkest are other kingdoms held by the emperor but are not part of the empire proper and the darkest is the centralized portion of the empire.

Hey guys, here is a map from ~Historiae mutetur!~ featuring the Kazel Empire. The spiritual predecessor of Aztec culture before the Nahuatl would migrate south into Mexico
ddwuhyx-62ec18fc-22af-4c5b-8624-9bdc432aa75a.png

It is being replaced with Spanish as Spanish is the language taught in schools. It is a slow dying out process that the government instituted to help centralize the empire (I posted a political map a few pages back).

aKkRA2H.png

Gotta contest something about your map. If Spanish were to supercede Portuguese, then it would be strongest in the region around Lisbon, while Portuguese would perhaps be better preserved in more remote areas. I suspect that the largest city to preserve the Portuguese language would be, appropriately enough, Porto. Therefore, the region you have as being green should be full on brown.

Ok but Portuguese and Spanish not same as Parisian French and ocidental French. It like French and Italian. Neither language disappear if both countries ruled by single country.
Occitan – what's left of it – is not actually particularly close to Parisian French, having more similarities with Catalan and (more distantly) the northern Italian languages; the idea that it's just a dialect or a set of dialects of the French language is propaganda for the same French cultural nationalism that lead to its OTL decline in the first place. The comparison with Spanish and Portuguese is actually pretty apt.

Status
Not open for further replies.