Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I made a map of Jugdral, a continent from Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. :D
Jugdral.png

Southern Vicyory Entnte Victory.png

Base upon harry turtledove southern victory. Its set on timeline 191 in Which the entente won the second great war. The POD occurred when the CSA won the battle of Pittsburg and was able to cut the US in half after capturing Ohio. Meanwhile, in the western front of the Americas, The Utah rebellion was successful and would join the war on the entente. The confederacy would also steamroll across Arizona and Nevada and would capture Los Angels. Meanwhile in the pacific japan would stay on the war on the entente and would successfully capture the sandwich islands (Hawaii). In Europe, The French and British would successfully capture Hamburg and Frankfurt and would march onto Berlin. The Russians would also take most of east Prussia. Then in early 1945, The UK would Super-bomb Berlin andNumberg. Eventually, Germany and Austria-Hungary collapsed. The Ottoman Empire would also sue for peace seeing Greek, Russian and British forces all invading Turkish land. Soon the US surrender to the CSA after successfully Super-bombing Philadelphia. In the peace operations, The CSA annex New Mexico, Arizona and southern California. Germany is dissolved into puppet states. Eventually a cold war occurs between the CSA, UK and France, and Russia.

This is a map I've had for some time now, just sitting around. Copy-pasted raw from Photoshop just to show it here. It needs some tightening up along with additional smaller islands and river placement, plus topography and biome maps. I'd also like to get an alternate fauna implemented. I may be doing too much, honestly, but... y'know, I figure go big or go home? Anyway, I'd like to implement something similar to the Tossed Through Alternate History game, but without magical elements, preferably using an updated version of this map.

If anybody could help me out with accurate biomes, currents, and weather patterns I'd very much appreciate it. PM me!

[snip]​
Somewhat-updated version!
1587805957474.png
The map game mentioned above can be found here. Come join us! We'd love to have you! (Note: it does not use the above map because of various reasons. But it's still fun!)

Here's a project I've been working on the last couple of weeks. Maybe I'm going to make this into a Graphics TL, since I have a couple ideas on expanding the world and such.

Edit: removed the texture, since it was a bit much.

smTiRXsi_o.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 541872

A grim scenario for sure, but I wanted to try my hand at some "Cold War Terminal" style alt-history maps and this was the first dystopia that came to mind. Not much of a scenario, more of a proof of concept with some TNOmod aesthetics. Photoshopping Archibald Ramsay into a different uniform was surprisingly easy - may try out some more complex portrait design next time I try and make a map featuring one!
How do you do this computer aesthetic? I wanna do something similiar.

Whilst the map is awesome, is there any particular reason why Hainaut and Namur have been merged?

There's no real reason behind it other then me wanting to create equalish sized states, but it does make a little bit more sense to have them separate for now. Since this map is set during the turn of the century, I'm planning on having the country going trough a state reform in the future.

How do you do this computer aesthetic? I wanna do something similiar.

Start with a dark background layer, then make a layer where you'll write the text and make the boxes and map and everything: do everything in a neon color (in this instance blue) and when you've created it then apply Paint.NET's glow effect (any glow effect will probably do) and fiddle with the settings until it looks about right. As for the scan lines on the portrait at the top, I used PHOTOMOSH.com and screencapped the output to paste in (because the regular download output comes in a low quality jpeg.

Swisspartition.png

The POD is that the Bavarian stay loyal to France a little too long and end up occupied by Austria. As such there is an obvious solution to the Saxon crisis, but the negotiation is still ugly as Bavaria is a bigger price than Saxony, but the return and defeat of Napoleon makes everyone comes to their senses. So, the Vienna Congress turn out different. Saxony is annexed by Prussia, Austria annex Old Bavaria, while Franconia and the Palatinate is kept by the Wittelbachs as the kingdom of Franconia, the Württembergs are given Bavarian Swabia. The Wettins are given Emsland, Münster and East Frisia as the kingdom of Emsland (there’s no trade of East Frisia for Lauenburg for Rügen, so Denmark keep the principality of Rügen[1]). Against losing Emsland, the British demands a strengthening of powers on the French border. So, Switzerland are partitioned between several states, Austria takes Grison and Ticino, Prussia annex Vaud into the Principality of Neuchatel, Sardinia annex Valais. Geneva becomes a principality with Prussian king, Austrian Emperor and Sardinian king as co-princes. The rest of Switzerland end up under Württemberg, which rename itself the Kingdom of Swabia, Baden lose it upper Rhinish arm, but gain Alsace instead and is raised to kingdom status.

[1] Sweden tries to take it back at the Congress but are stopped from doing so by other powers. As the Principality of Rügen was original a Danish vassal, it does not become a member of the German Confederation. The Danish king who lack a son makes his cousin and heir Prince (Fyrst/Fürst) of Rygen/Rügen. This is to avoid the popular and pro-democratic (or at least seen as such) prince returning to Copenhagen.

Here's a project I've been working on the last couple of weeks. Maybe I'm going to make this into a Graphics TL, since I have a couple ideas on expanding the world and such.

opo2gA4b_o.jpg
Just curious, what is the reasoning behind the division of the the Netherlands and Belgium (Zeeuws Vlaanderen and Bergen op Zoom in Belgium, but South East Brabant in the Netherlands?

Also, could you tell me where you found the basemap? I have been looking for a good Netherlands basemap but its difficult to find one.

Just curious, what is the reasoning behind the division of the the Netherlands and Belgium (Zeeuws Vlaanderen and Bergen op Zoom in Belgium, but South East Brabant in the Netherlands?

Also, could you tell me where you found the basemap? I have been looking for a good Netherlands basemap but its difficult to find one.

The division is based on the departments of the French Empire, being the Schelde departement & Twee Neten department respectively.

the basemap comes from the David Rumsey Map Collection, which has a vast library of maps you can use as a basemap.

May I ask, how'd you go about making this map and detailing it?

Well, I kinda follow a similar process for all maps I make, so here's what I do to get the overal same aesthetics:

• First I look for a good basemap to start from, good places to find these are David Rumsey Map Collection and Hipkiss Scanned Map Database.
  • If I find a basemap I can use, I open up a document of the the same size in Illustrator, and import the map in there.
  • With the reference map in place, it's time to start drawing onto it,most vector based programs work with layers, so what you want to do is break down the map in several layers.
  • The tool that you are going to use the most is the pen tool, to manually draw the coastline, rivers, borders etc. This can sometimes be quite tedious depending on how detailed you're going to go.
  • The order in which I start is: Coast Line -> Islands -> Rivers -> Lakes -> Borders-> Cities -> Country tags -> Overal Lay-Out, Lat long lines etc.
  • To avoid things getting complicated i first draw the (dotted) border lines, and then carve out the states on a separate layer. The pathfinder tool is your biggest friend here since it allows you to divide what you've drawn as you see fit.
  • With most of the work done, you can now focus on the overal look of the map (Colour, fonts). It can always be useful to look at your base map if you're not sure what to do.

Rosenheim

Donor
Current WIP for my Naruto map, after a couple of weeks putting it off. The southern mountains were an absolute pain. Thankfully I'm done with the major ranges, though some foothills and smaller mountains are left (where the pure white lines are).

bMVfJA6.png

Btw may I ask what did you use as a basemap? (I am sure it can be founded somewhere on the forum, but I am not able to find)

Look in this site's wiki, look up resource and in that you find maps, there you will find different OTL map templates by different users. The wiki are in general not updated much, but it's full of useful stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.