Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skallagrim

Banned
My first-ever completed map, cross-posted in the Alternate Electoral Maps thread! This is the 2017 election in the Kingdom of Batavia, which is a successor state to Lotharingia in the European timeline on which I am currently working and hope to post soon.
04PaEpv.png

Questions and feedback are encouraged!
Linguistic nit-pick: "Onze Mensen, Onze Huis" is not correct. It should be "Onze Mensen, Ons Huis". But even then, it means "Our People, Our House" (meaning literally, "a house"). If you intend "home", then it would be "Onze Mensen, Ons Thuis". But doesn't sound good in Dutch, so I'd propose "Onze Mensen, Ons Land" ("Our People, Our Country").

Linguistic nit-pick: "Onze Mensen, Onze Huis" is not correct. It should be "Onze Mensen, Ons Huis". But even then, it means "Our People, Our House" (meaning literally, "a house"). If you intend "home", then it would be "Onze Mensen, Ons Thuis". But doesn't sound good in Dutch, so I'd propose "Onze Mensen, Ons Land" ("Our People, Our Country").
Thanks--I really appreciate that. I'm not a native Dutch speaker, so I had to rely on Google translate here. I'll definitely make that change!

We Surround You
The Leader And Supreme Commander Of The Armed Forces.
Headquarters. 24th May, 1940. 7 copies

Directive No. 13:
1. The next object of our operations is to complete the encirclement of the French, English, and Belgian forces in Artois and Flanders, by the swift seizure of the Channel coast between and including Dunkirk and Ostend by our northern flank.

The task of the Air Force will be to prevent the main body of English forces from reaching the Channel coast, and to protect the southern flank of Army Group A.

The enemy air force will be engaged whenever opportunity offers.

2. The Army will then prepare to destroy in the shortest possible time the encircled enemy forces, by concentric attack.

The primary task of the northern flank of Army Group A will be to prevent the English forces from regaining a foothold on the Channel coast.

3. After liquidating the enemy forces in Artois and Flanders, the Army will then prepare to destroy in the shortest possible time the remaining enemy forces in France. This operation will be undertaken in three phases:

Phase 1: A thrust between the sea and the Oise as far as the lower Seine below Paris, with the intention of supporting and securing with weak forces the later main operations on the right flank.

Should the position and reserves available permit, every effort will be made after the conclusion of hostilities in Artois and Flanders, to occupy the area between the Somme and the Oise by a concentric attack in the direction of Montdidier, and thereby to prepare and facilitate the later thrust against the lower Seine.

Phase 2: An attack by the main body of the Army, including strong armoured forces, southeastwards on either side of Reims, with the intention of defeating the main body of the French Army in the Paris-Metz-Belfort triangle and of bringing about the collapse of the Maginot Line.

Phase 3: In support of this main operation, a well timed subsidiary attack on the Maginot Line with the aim of breaking through the Line with weaker forces at its most vulnerable point between St Avold and Sarreguemines in the direction of Nancy-Lunéville.

Should the situation allow, an attack on the upper Rhine may be envisaged, with the limitation that not more than eight to ten divisions are to be committed.

4. Tasks Of The Air Force.

(a) Apart from operations in France, the Air Force is authorised to attack the English homeland in the fullest manner, as soon as sufficient forces are available. This attack will be opened by an annihilating reprisal for English attacks on the Ruhr Basin.

Commander In Chief Air Force will designate targets in accordance with the principles laid down in Directive No. 9 and further orders to be issued by the High Command Of The Armed Forces. The time and plan for this attack are to be reported to me.

The struggle against the English homeland will be continued after the commencement of land operations. With the opening of the main operations of the Army in the direction of Reims, it will be the task of the Air Force, apart from maintaining our air supremacy, to give direct support to the attack, to break up any enemy reinforcements which may appear, to hamper the regrouping of enemy forces, and in particular to protect the western flank of the attack.

The breakthrough of the Maginot Line will also be supported as far as necessary.

(c) Commander In Chief Air Force will also consider how far the air defence of the areas upon which the enemy is now concentrating his attacks can be strengthened by the employment of forces from less threatened areas.

In so far as the Navy is involved in any changes of this kind, Commander In Chief Navy is to participate.

5. Tasks Of The Navy. All restrictions on naval action in English and French waters are hereby cancelled, and Commanders are free to employ their forces to the fullest extent.

Commander In Chief Navy will submit a proposal for the delimitation of the areas in which the measures authorised for the coming siege may be carried out.

I reserve to myself the decision whether, and if so in what form, the blockade will be made public.

6. I request the Commanders In Chief to inform me, in person or in writing, of their intentions based on this directive.

-Adolf Hitler.

-----
dduvdu8-db4256e2-dd50-45a0-969e-8ea24b544dc7.png

-----

Last edited:
I looked at the link, and this strikes me as a rather extreme (i.e. links to anti-semitic propaganda) website, you should probably note that about this link (since it seems to be the only source that has the text). Its hard to tell from the tone of the website.

I had no idea about that, I had only clicked this link, which appeared on another discussion form discussing the Halt Order, and had not explored the website the text is hosted on further.

I will definitely add a warning, thanks for letting me know!

Last edited:
The Felid Confederations

Forgot to post this here when I originally made it. My little brother recently got into the Warriors series, the general premise of which is that a bunch of cats live in the woods and brutally murder each other in increasingly child-unfriendly ways. Though I haven't been a serious fan of the series since sixth grade, after listening to him ramble about it for upwards of an hour, I decided to translate the setting over to a sci-fi-esque environment out of boredom.

The four (formerly five before the takeover of the Himl Confederation) felid Confederations were formed from a revolt by enslaved felids in the northeast of the Great Human Union, which fled into the mountains adjacent to Carreguchel before splitting, with around half of the group moving into the former Continental Resource Extraction Zone established in the at-the-time unsettled land towards the middle of the continent. Initially regarded by the GHU as a collection of backwards tribal states that would soon be conquered, as GHU settlement of the area went underway this quickly proved to be false, and the Confederations have persisted to this day as an odd legacy of felid enslavement.

The Confederations are remarkably similar in their methods of government, which resemble oligarchic dictatorships elsewhere in the world: a singular leader with near-total authority with a "deputy" beneath them to oversee more mundane governmental functions, who is appointed by and will succeed the leader, as well as a singular religious advisor. Due to their encirclement by the GHU, the Confederations are very militaristic societies, with every adult citizen being a full soldier and member of the military, though with the GHU biding its time and waiting for approval of a total invasion of the Confederations to get through the Union bureaucracy, they tend to spend a lot of time fighting each other, often over minor territorial disputes or hunting rights. The Confederations are incredibly self-sufficient, and despite the best efforts of the GHU (the most recent being a purposely-set fire that destroyed much of the central Sanda Confederation a few years ago), this has not changed since their arrival in the area. More recently, the Confederations nearly destroyed each other after a bloodthirsty insurrectionist faction based out of the GHU Capital District known as the Blood Confederation led by ex-slave Tim Little, who had taken the name Scourge upon assuming power, was unleashed upon the Confederations after Tigerstar, leader of the Schatten Confederation at the time, had offered him half of the forest in exchange for military support against the Confederations that refused to kowtow to him. However, Little was ironically killed by his half-brother Russel "Rusty" Little, another ex-slave who had ascended to lead the Sanda Confederation and been renamed Firestar after fleeing his masters into Confederation territory, and the Blood Confederation was disbanded shortly afterwards, its members fleeing back into the GHU and splintering into several disorganized factions. Culturally speaking, despite nationalistic claims by the leaders of the four confederations, there is little difference between them, as they all come from the same base culture. However, the Fiume Confederation is known for its reliance on fishing, the Vent Confederation is historically one of the weakest, militarily speaking (having been forced from its territory and temporarily sought asylum in the westernmost parts of Yachmen after Brokenstar took power in the Schatten Confederation), the Schatten Confederation is stereotyped among the other Confederations as dark and sinister, having provoked both of the most recent major wars in Confederation land, and the Sanda Confederation is a rather generic place that is most defined by what it is not.

In the eyes of the GHU, the Confederations have long been a festering sore at the heart of its territory. However, this will not persist forever: already, plans to reclaim all of the former territory of Continental Resource Extraction Zone F are underway, and the comparatively backwards Confederations will surely stand no chance against the full military might of the Great Human Union.

The Felid Confederations.png

View attachment 538494
#Thematicmapchallenge1
Religion in the West is split into the many denominations of Christendom and other Abrahamic Religions.
Carthaginian Church: born from the followers of Donatus, who rejected priest who they considered traditors and sinners.
Insular Catholics: They follow the pope of Rome as the supreme bishop, but differs from the regular Catholics due to a greater focus on spiritualism and personal faith.
Frisian Brethren: Evangelical Baptist movement that believes in triple baptism, evening communion, holy kisses, and humility.
Zaharraks: a Basque folk protestant movement, they rejected priests, icons, and follow an individualistic spirtualist form of Christianity.
Gracians: born from the followers of Pelagius, the Gracians reject divine grace in exchange for moral perfection from human free will. They also rejected baptism and original sin.
Punics: binitrinarianism.
Very interesting. The word "Zaharrak" sound really exotic. As for the Gracians, I failed to localize them on the map.
What does binitrinarian mean? Are they Arians with two atoms of nitrogen :p ?

My almost done WIP, just need to add the legends. I'm quite satisfied with the colors overall.

I will write a more detailed description later. But the basic idea is that the British managed to seize Alaska during the Crimean War, which led to their more aggressive expansion policy in North America and ultimately, the intervention in the War of Southern Secession. Meanwhile, a badly humiliated Russia industrialized quickly and more thoroughly, then later allied with Egypt to get rid of the Ottoman in the 1870s. Despite the initial alliance systems, the world soon turned 180 and was divided into 2 blocks: the Anglo-Egyptian Malta Pact and the Russo-Japanese Grand Alliance, with Brazil being the big neutral guy.

Some notable points:
- Maximilian's Mexico
- Napoleonic France
- Greater Belgium
- NGC Prussia
- Neutral Bavaria
- Subservient Habsburgs
- Imperial Brazil with colonies
- Colonially active Spain
- Indian Ocean-focused Portugal
- Semi-federated Britain
- Ottoman Empire (ruled from Cairo)
- Re-emerging Mughals
- Smaller China without warlords
- Saner Japan

View attachment 535316

I had a change of heart regarding the situation in India after a successful Sepoy Rebellion so the map is updated with the legend added.

1. The allied force that failed to hunt down the Russian flotilla at Kamchatka headed to Alaska instead. In the peace that followed after, the colony was handed to Britain. The gold rushed happened earlier and provided Britain with lots of cash.

2. With the British having more leverage in North America, they were more aggressive in the Oregon boundary dispute. Finally, Britain took advantage of the War of Southern Independence to settle it once and for all.

3. The Secession Conspiracy received more support from California's governing top. Since then, it remained a loyal regional trading partner of Britain.

4. With French support, Maximilian grabbed some of former Mexican land and his popularity suddenly skyrocketed. The House of Habsburg-Iturbide detested the Russians for what they did to their brethren during the Great European War.

5. A much warmer relationship with France and an adjusted border with the US enabled to British to choose Trois-Rivières as the capital for Canada.

6. Despite the Hartford movement already dying out a generation ago, the New Englanders were quick to contend with their new situation as British spoils of war. Boosted Canada's demographic growth greatly.

7. Washington was very pissed off by the fact that not only they lost New England and Minnesota, they also had to agree to form a demilitarized zone with the rump CSA. With their current position, no round 2 would be within sight.

8. Losing half of Virginia was a great blow to the young industry of the CSA. They had to move their capital to Atlanta, though this decision would later turn out to be a good move. Currently in a rather bad shape due to their crops being devastated by the boll weevils, luckily aids from Britain and Brazil did help a great deal.

9. This territory slipped off the hands of the US in the aftermath of the War of Southern Independence. It became a haven for native American tribes.

10. Happily selling oil to everyone.

11. Spain's successful reconquest of the Dominican Republic improved the reputation of the monarchy and stabilized the country. Since then, Madrid became active again in the world stage.

12. Britain was planning to build a canal here.

13. The Panamanian separatists were all rooted out, though it did not really benefit Columbia that much without a trans-oceanic canal.

14. British Guyana was in charge of all British Caribbean colonies, they were advocating for Dominion status.

15. Got a better deal than OTL thanks to joining the right side in the ATL War of the Triple Alliance, which pitted Brazil, Columbia and Ecuador against Venezuela, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay and Argentina. Only Chile stayed out of this conflict while Uruguay was swallowed whole by Brazil at the end.

16. Despite losing, still had sea access, which spelled success.

17. Replaced Argentina as Britain's most loyal partner in the region.

18. The monarchy still held strong. In the aftermath of the republican revolution in Portugal, the surviving royal members fled to Brazil.

19. Argentina refused to accept the peace treaty unless a demilitarized zone would be formed. They got what they asked for, felt a bit safer with the capital so close to the border like this.

20. Argentine claim on Falkland was much fiercer due to their non-existing partnership with Britain nowadays.

21. Got home rule, Dominion status and a rock. Neat!

22. It was nightmarish to re-organize the Empire at first. London could finally sigh in relief now that their sole focus was all about India and Russia.

23. Sweden gave back Norway to Denmark sans Finmark in exchange for the later participating in the Great European War against Prussia and Russia.

24. It was not like the Norwegians immediately fell into the arms of Dernmark voluntarily, they were not the same as in 1814. The Danes had to give them lots of privileges, but having more ships was definitely better.

25. Thanks to the BEF, Denmark held its line against Prussia and even took back Schleswig.

26. During the opening days of the Great European War, Schlieffen was authorized by Waldersee to invade France through Belgium and the Netherlands. The planning was incomplete, which pushed the 2 countries into Britain and France's camp. The Dutch got a slight border adjustment at the peace talk.

27. Belgium and France were the main winners whose new borders almost reached the Rhine. France also made a useful ally out of the South German states.

28. France returned the Duchy of Savoy back to Italy in exchange for an agreement regarding the territories of the Papal States.

29. After being forced to sell Mozambique to Britain, a public outrage overthrew the monarchy and the royal house fled to Brazil. The new republican government held a grudge against Britain at first but later realized that sucking up to them was the fastest way to recover.

30. Despite being neutral in the Great European War, Bavaria was fortifying their borders, hoping that the next war over the Rhine would not be on their soils.

31. The Pope still ruled over a large swath of land, some limited reforms did help to improve the living standards and the faith.

32. Bismarck was assassinated in 1866, which meant no Austro-Prussian War, no Franco-Prussian War. Roon replaced him as Chancellor, Moltke being Minister of War and Waldersee being Chief of Staff. When the Russians declared war on Turkey and Austria in the late 1870s, Roon supported the Tsar in hope of taking this chance to create a Greater Prussia.

33. Still lamenting that they should had offered help to the Russians during the Crimean War instead of forming an alliance with the Ottomans to counter Russian aggression in the Balkan. With a great territorial reduce and bigger ethnic issues, the empire reformed itself into a federation. Still a Russian client nowadays.

34. The modernizing efforts under Alexander II paid off during the Great European War which saw the Russian Army making short work of their 2 major rivals and turned the whole Balkan into their backyard.

35. Still oppressed but bigger.

36. The current Tsar wondered why his grandfather didn't disregard the alliance with Egypt and took Constantinople as well. This became a sore spot in the Russo-Egyptian relationship, which ultimately pushed Cairo into Britain's arms.

37. The Ottoman Sultan still had some ceremonial authority and power claims within Rumelia and Anatolia...

38. except Pontus, Russia was sending Greek settlers to fill out the region.

39. The ever-lasting sea boundary dispute between Greece and Egypt. It was fortunate that Cairo had more urgent stuff to deal with instead of escalating the conflict.

40. Left alone by Russia thanks to the Khedive insisting on his ancestral land's neutral status.

41. The Spanish was starting to get used to Moroccan guerrilla tactics.

42. On the way to being an official part of France. The relationship with the Arabs was pretty mild thanks to Napoleon III's efforts.

43. Tunisia was also part of the deal for Italy to leave the Papal States alone.

44. While this new Islamic empire was still named after the Ottomans, the Sultan was actually confined in his own palace in Constantinople. The de facto executive capital was Cairo with all the power effectively resting in the hands of the Khedive.

45. Despite losing the War, the US still kept up with the trend of sending freed slaves to Liberia. The country already had a sizable New World population.

46. Brutal but efficient, such was the Prussian way in handling colonial matters.

47. Leopold II drank himself to death when celebrating the victory against Prussia so the colony was under the direct control of the government. Not a paradise but much better than OTL.

48. After grabbing Angola from the new Portuguese government under the pretext of securing it for the Braganzas, Rio decided to incorporate Angola into the empire with full citizenship granted, a popular move among the people, except the Portuguese aristocracy, not that they had any say in the matter.

49. Having no access to Egypt in TTL, Britain forcefully took over Portuguese colonies to secure the Mozambique Channel.

50. Republican Portugal was allowed to colonized Madagascar to make up for it losses though.

51. Fearing an increasingly powerful Oman, Britain backed the division of the empire despite their traditional alliance.

52. Ethiopia was not happy, being surrounded by states they had territorial disputes with. They were especially serious when it comes to Somalia though.

53. Being propped up by Britain initially to be a counterweight against Egypt, their value ran out when Egypt switched side. Brazil became a better choice as a long time partner.

54. Kurdistan, a loyal Russian vassal.

55. The Russians were over-enthusiastic when trying to redraw the borders of the Middle East.

56. Tehran wished they had nothing to do with the whole anti-Britain stuff. If anything, they preferred the British.

57. Got back the territories they had leased to Oman before.

58. De jure a Russian client state, de facto independent in a messy way.

59. Receiving aids from Russia, the Sikhs rose up against the British during the Sepoy Rebellion. Russia's most important ally in South Asia.

60. The Mughal Emperor was believed to be assassinated by an Anglo-Indian spy amidst the chaos, which fanned the flame for other princely states to rise up. In the aftermath, his sons were awarded a personal fiefdom with the capital being OTL Chandigarh. Delhi, possessing a great symbolic status, was incorporated into Marathi India, per the agreement between the Sikhs and the Marathi chiefs.

61. Kingdom of Rajputana, independent but closely tied to Marathi India.

62. Jalgaon was the new capital for Marathi India.

63. The Portuguese took advantage of the post-rebellion situation in the British Raj to lobby for more trading outposts.

64. The British invested a lot into Ceylon as an evacuation haven for its white population in case of another rebellion.

65. Bengal was granted a near-Dominion status nowadays, the administration of Assam was even assigned to them.

66. Burma finally had the breathing room they deserved to modernize the country.

67. The Dutch had no time to deal with Aceh due to the situation in Europe.

68. An emerging Siam was expanding its influence quite comfortable since it only had to deal with the French.

69. The Uyghurs had more autonomy under the Russians than they ever did under the Chinese.

70. Same for the Mongolians.

71. The North of Inner Manchuria was ceded to Russia following the stalemate of the Russo-Japanese War.

72. Jointly administered Sakhalin, a symbol of the newly formed Russo-Japanese alliance.

73. Tokyo was initially patronized by the British to counter Russia in the Far East, but realized warming up to the Tsar was more beneficial.

74. Remained a puppet instead of being fully assimilated part of Japan.

75. Manchuria under the House of Aisin Gioro started to turn into a better multi-ethnic empire than it was OTL.

76. The new Empire of China was a constitutional monarchy with its ceremonial head being the Duke of Yansheng. The Empire was fueled by Han Chinese nationalism so it disregarded the losses of Xinjiang, Mongolia & Manchuria and focused solely on China Proper, especially Shandong. Their current capital was Kaifeng.

77. There was no Spanish-American War in TTL, instead the Japanese waged war against Spain to take the Philippines and its Pacific holdings.

78. Guam, called Omiyato in TTL, was the largest naval base of Japan with a sizable Japanese population in the Pacific Ocean.

79. French Tonkin housed the largest naval squadron outside of France's home waters.

80. There were talks about granting Dominion status to Singapore in London these days.

81. A bigger Portuguese East Timor. Well, they had to make up for the losses with everything they could.

82. The Prussian Junkers felt the need to gain a colonial empire for prestige while waiting for round 2 in Europe.

83. Administering these scattering Pacific islands in Britain's stead.

84. Same as above.

85. The British vassalized Hawaii to prevent it from falling into Japan's sphere of influence.

Mackinder's world - POD 1855 - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.png

Last edited:

ST15RM

Banned
I looked at the link, and this strikes me as a rather extreme (i.e. links to anti-semitic propaganda) website, you should probably note that about this link (since it seems to be the only source that has the text). Its hard to tell from the tone of the website.
i believe that my ip has blocked it. which is good.

Very interesting. The word "Zaharrak" sound really exotic. As for the Gracians, I failed to localize them on the map.
What does binitrinarian mean? Are they Arians with two atoms of nitrogen :p ?
Zaharrak means old ones in Basque. theyre the Catholic equivalents of Doukhobors and Old Believers.
Gracians are located in North Africa.
Binitarianism is a belief in the twoness of god instead of trinitarianism. Semi-Arianism

Franco-Britain (1932).png

This map is set in an alternate world in which the English won the 100-year wars and united with the french.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain, France and Northern Ireland is the largest superpower on the planet. For recent history WW1 still happens, Russia stills fall to communism and the White army and surviving monarch escape to Alaska. Il add the lore on to this later

View attachment 539412
This map is set in an alternate world in which the English won the 100-year wars and united with the french.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain, France and Northern Ireland is the largest superpower on the planet. For recent history WW1 still happens, Russia stills fall to communism and the White army and surviving monarch escape to Alaska. Il add the lore on to this later
I think this is a great map and really neat scenario, but one piece of advice- I would recommend using a basemap from the POD and working forward. There are so many OTL borders on here that would likely have been butterflied away centuries ago ITTL. Speaking from personal experience, this is a common ailment of taking the basemap from the time period you want your map to be at rather than the basemap from the time period of the POD. It takes much more effort to start from the POD basemap, especially if its more of an ancient or medieval era map, but the difference- in my humble opinion- is worth it.

I think this is a great map and really neat scenario, but one piece of advice- I would recommend using a basemap from the POD and working forward. There are so many OTL borders on here that would likely have been butterflied away centuries ago ITTL. Speaking from personal experience, this is a common ailment of taking the basemap from the time period you want your map to be at rather than the basemap from the time period of the POD. It takes much more effort to start from the POD basemap, especially if its more of an ancient or medieval era map, but the difference- in my humble opinion- is worth it.
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it and Il use your advice.

That's funny. Your "Royaume-Uni de France, Grande Bretagne, et Irlande" should be blue or purple on the map. Generally it is inadvisable to use the color of the colonized over the colonizer, lest it cause confusion.

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
unknown.png

Heres a postcard-esque art deco map that I tried a hand on:
The French Gambian River Company is a more corporate take on river security and tourism in West Africa, but does take primary attention on building infrastructure in the West African rivers as well. It also focuses on peanut and kola nut farming (abolition was set in motion a long time ago), along with mediating relations between Europeans and hostile natives.

Status
Not open for further replies.