Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview of the Helleno-Turkish Aegean Dispute

Hi! I made this small IRL map of the Aegean Dispute which has affected the relations between both sides of the Sea for decades . It's a complex issue so I Hope this map will help you contextualise the conflict.
:) (Smile)
;)

I was trying to figure out the map and had to do a double-take.x'D

If you want to get involved in the Telephone Map Game: 5th Edition, I've made the Main Thread and Claims Thread for TMG5. It will not start until after the conclusion of TMG4, but there will be a discussion on what TMG5 will look like, and you can sign up right now if you wish.

My almost done WIP, just need to add the legends. I'm quite satisfied with the colors overall.

I will write a more detailed description later. But the basic idea is that the British managed to seize Alaska during the Crimean War, which led to their more aggressive expansion policy in North America and ultimately, the intervention in the War of Southern Secession. Meanwhile, a badly humiliated Russia industrialized quickly and more thoroughly, then later allied with Egypt to get rid of the Ottoman in the 1870s. Despite the initial alliance systems, the world soon turned 180 and was divided into 2 blocks: the Anglo-Egyptian Malta Pact and the Russo-Japanese Grand Alliance, with Brazil being the big neutral guy.

Some notable points:
- Maximilian's Mexico
- Napoleonic France
- Greater Belgium
- NGC Prussia
- Neutral Bavaria
- Subservient Habsburgs
- Imperial Brazil with colonies
- Colonially active Spain
- Indian Ocean-focused Portugal
- Semi-federated Britain
- Ottoman Empire (ruled from Cairo)
- Re-emerging Mughals
- Smaller China without warlords
- Saner Japan

Mackinder's world - POD 1855.png

Last edited:
A map with the countries (in purple) where Peugeot has factories, after the acquisition of the American Chrysler in 2009, the German Opel, the Australian Holden and the Malaysian Proton in 2017:
dessin.png

The result of a marathonic 3 day worldbuilding exercise:

The initial sketch:

gondwanaland.png

The blank map:

Wana Blank.png

And the result with biomes:

Wana Biomes.png

All this started because of my frustation that every fantasy setting has the same "European Woodlands" enviroment. I've been playing Skyrim and Oblivion lately, and Skyrim is amazing in that it shows the whole diversity of cold climates, from birch forests to Yellowstone-like volcanic terrain to tundra and ice. Meanwhile, Oblivion is all boring temperate woodlands with only some snow and dark forests. The worst thing is that Oblivion's setting (Cyrodill) was supposed to be endless jungle*, but they changed it to the same setting nearly every fantasy work has.

It's so stupid. Coming from a (sub)tropical place, it's so boring that fantasy writers are allergic to tropical settings or they relegate them to exotic lands far from the main focus.

So I made Wana. A world of tropical fantasy.

"Great port cities made of intrincately decorated wood grow in the mouths of rivers, some even extend further into the water, into floating houses. The great deserts are dotted by cities of brick and mud, decorated with precious stones and geometrical mosaics. Swamps have artificial islands of rich soil where crops, and then cities and pyramids grow. Great temples rise in the jungles, carved into the trees themselves. In the highest valleys and mountaintops, stone fortresses are the capitals of great empires, their temples covered in gold and silver. Mysterious sacred groves abound inside the jungle, around gigantic trees, beautiful waterfalls, and otherworldy metal rocks. Giant mounts and mesas that look like ancient warriors or animals are found in the deserts and savannas of the world. Beasts long extinct elsewhere lurk in remote places. The nights are full of whispers from the inexplicable. Floating mountains, plains of living fire, lakes that are portals to other worlds, salt flats that are mirrors to the heavens, giant trees that have their own ecosystems and civilizations. Temples from the earliest civilizations are buried in the desert sands and the mountain valleys. And who knows what’s below the sea?"

For now this is only a one shot map. I want to make a TES style empire (maybe) with each province with its unique enviroment. But the result at the end was an amazingly diverse collection of ecosystems. Which was the intention in the first place! But makes hard to draw borders. Despite it is based in the ancient continent of Gondwana and you can see a lot of Earth parallels, I also don't want to make exact Earth civilization equivalents for every place (well maybe ONE Tawantinsuyu expy, for old times sake). I also need to decide if there will be another sentient species, how much magic is in the world, and so on. So I'll give it thought and I'll post 'travel guides' later.

The biome key was from an old worldbuilding project with my own additions. It's not supposed to represent exact enviroments, but works for my purposes (Every ecologist has its own classification system, trust me, I know.) Unlike other worldbuilding projects, I drew the biomes first and the elevation will be based on them, since I knew what kind of world I liked. I think I might have made the interior too wet, IRL it should have been more arid, but this IS supposed to be a tropical Earth, so it's warmer and wetter. Also, rainforests by themselves are great humidity sponges (see the biotic pump theory). Vulcanic terrains are supposed to be equivalents of the Afar Depression or Yellowstone, only more widespread.

If you have any questions or comments go ahead! It might give me inspiration to create the civilization part.

*There are mods that give it a proper tropical flavor and they're awesome.

Last edited:
Map I made for the MOTF 213:

Onhetsa, the land of the thousand lakes.

This map is supposed to be roughly in the same timeline as my last India map,

In this timeline, slight differences in the French Navy by the time of the war of austrian succession result, beside a slightly more succesful first carnatic war as shown in the previous map, in the Duke of Anville's expedition not being delayed, and thus not being struck by storms. The Expedition, the largest transatlantic one ever launched at the time succeeded in retaking Louisbourg, but the Duke had... special orders from the Kingtelling him to deport the Acadian who wouldn't pledge aliegance to him to "the english colonies", in this timeline Acadian, who by that point had to be neutral to survive in the contested regions, are not so enthusiastic to see such a large occupation force led by an admiral who isn't the most diplomatic, and a bar fight quickly snowballs into a small scale insurgency in Louisburg, the over zealous Duke did not hesitate and applied the king's order to deport most acadians, which were of little use to the crown, around louisbourg, leading to a general revolt as most of the other inhabitant feared for their lives, alas the large expedition force broke them and, on their way to bombard Boston, deported many to the nearest British colony, the part of Western Main administered by Massachussets. The disposessed Acadians soon had to flee Massachussetsian who were extremely angry at the loss of Louisburg, whose taking was a soure of pride, and the devastation of Boston by the French Navy and pursued them, the Acadian then fled inland, to the north and then the west, they soon faced Iroquois who for the most part were not too happy of this intrusion, as their numbers were dwindling the Acadian had no choice but to continue their "Grande Traversée" westward, until they reached the Niagara falls, there they found Seneca Iroquois, the westernmost people of the Haudenosaunee, in an almost miraculous battle the Acadian managed to defeat them and cross the Falls. What they found beyond were a destroyed people, descendant of the Neutral Nation who were defeated by the Seneca a century before. The Ataouandron (Neutral) as they were called were grateful to the Acadian as they defeated their long-standing enemy, and they displayed generosity and hospitality to the Acadian, whose numbers had been reduce to a little more than a couple thousands, from over 15,000 a year before. From this meeting of two separate people a new nation would eventually be born, Onhetsa, from the name the Ataouandron gave to their land.

FinalOnhetsa.jpg

This is just great. Love the layout, love the worldbuilding. The clever wrapping around the images, and that extent map
1585797517138.png

Attachments

• 1585797505817.png
    1585797505817.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 232
From my timeline
Frankish empire after the conquest of italy north of the PO (in the crisis of the 9th century of the Romans)
And the death of loius in 843.
division of the frankish empire

Louis the german (east frankia) (orange)
charles (west frankia) (blue)
carloman ( south frankia) ( sky blue)
Lothair ( roman frankia) ( green)

843.png

Farmer expanded the book later as 'Two Hawks from Earth', which I am told has more information on the state of the world.
I had read this version. The most noticeable difference:

India is an island. AFAIR about 1000 kilometers between India and Asia.

Therefore, there is no Himalayas.

Most Indian animals are marsupials, like in OTL Australia.

2021_-_Copy.png

Got this for a fantasy/sci-fi hybrid I'm working with a group on. I haven't got many details beyond this point, so there's that.

[map]
Got this for a fantasy/sci-fi hybrid I'm working with a group on. I haven't got many details beyond this point, so there's that.
Oh, that's very cool. What's the gravity, roughly? I'd assume about 1.22g, but the planetary composition might be more or less dense than ours depending on how you've put it together.

Between the very fast rotation, large size, and latitudinal temperature gradients produced by that hellacious axial tilt, you've got to have some pretty extreme weather along the coasts, as well as some utterly inhospitable interior deserts in those two big central continental regions, which I suppose is reflected in the high-low temperature range you've given. Throw in the extensive ice caps (which probably have substantial expansion and contraction over a given year due to that tilt), I'd think that civilization might be confined to temperate and subtropical regions in the main continent, although the eastern one is probably a bit more moderate given how much of it is relatively coastal.

Although, I suppose there's always magic and/or hypertech to make things more livable.

I'd assume about 1.22g, but the planetary composition might be more or less dense than ours depending on how you've put it together.
Yeah, size is almost never directly correlated to gravity. It’s all about the density. Mars is significantly larger than Mercury, despite their gravity being within 1/100 of a meter per second. It’s all about that sweet, sweet iron core.
vesta-comparison.jpg

Thank you so much! This was actually just meant to be a one-off, but feel free to take on the idea yourself if you want to, I in no way want to monopolize it. Koyuban comes from "koyimaa bankoo" in Mandinka, meaning white land, while Baduroo comes from "baa duuroo" in Mandinka, meaning great river.
Whats the script you used in the little infobox in the picture?

It took a while to get all the details and lore just right, but here's a new map for the RDNA-verse! One that's, for a change, covering the Collectivists themselves. More speficially, spotlighting the Central Plains Collective, which rose out from the ashes of the Austro-Hungarian Crownlands. The DeviantArt version can be found here.

The Central Plains Collective, and the Collectivist Internationale in general, has existed in one form or another ever since the setting's earliest incarnations. While there've been hints and foreshadowing in much more recent material, it's only now that I've actually gotten more in-depth with Collectivism and how it is in practice. All while still leaving more than enough room for ambiguity and mystery, as even in-universe, the Free World only has some tantalizing glimpses into their adversaries (the "ColMem" being among the handful of places they know more about). While, inevitably, the Orwellian and 1984 elements are much more out in force, I also made a point to add more nuance and depth, as well as have them make sense in the context of the 'verse. Though that said, it's also deliberate...as for why, I'll let the viewer decide.

And lastly, and just to be safe, this is a work of fiction. This is not meant to be a political or ideological screed. Depiction is not endorsement, and all.

With all that said, hope you enjoy. Love the Will.

EDIT: Made some last-minute tweaks and polishing to the map.​

----​

The Fallen Danube: The Central Plains Collective

The collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Crownlands in 1927 marked more than the Habsburgs' retreat into New Austria. From the ashes of their Danubian realm arose the polity known as the Central Plains Collective. Referred to as Colkozepbenen in ColStandard, it is something of a peculiarity within the Collectivist Internationale. It is also among the handful of "ColMems" in which more is known about with any degree of certainty, however much remains open to speculation. In addition it is simultaneously one of the most loyal and most volatile, having witnessed several "Unperson" uprisings over the generations.

The origins of this ColMem go back over a century. While Collectivism as an ideology had been present since the 19th Century, it wasn't until 1914 that the scattered groups and secret societies across the Danube joined together into the Union of People's Collectives. Led by the fringe Kollektivarbeiterpartei and a disgraced clergyman named Alexander Knöpfer, it initially garnered some support among scholars and laborers with its promises of universal brotherhood through the "Will of the Workers." Concern grew among the authorities and then Emperor-King Franz Ferdinand I, however, as the organization made increasingly public attacks on not only political rivals within the movement but others across the realm, while allegations surfaced of some members simply disappearing. Combined with its open defiance against the monarchy, suspected ties with other Collectivist groups across the Continent, and a cult-like zeal, by 1920 efforts were made to suppress it to maintain order. Unfortunately, these attempts failed.

Although conflicting and incomplete records from period covering the Terror make it difficult to theorize what actually happened, it's undeniable that Knöpfer and his followers seized their moment to stage their "Workers' Revolution." Alongside other Red militias, the U.P.C. ambushed and overrun various towns in the countryside, almost by surprise if surviving testimonies are any indication. Despite the best efforts of not only the Imperial Army regiments deployed to restore order, further bolstered by reinforcement from New Austria, but other Danubian citizens opposed to Collectivism, it became evident that the tide had irrevocably turned. For every militant band that was crushed, two more seemed to take their place, further worsened by additional manpower from the nascent Internationale. With the fall of Vienna and Budapest in 1926, however, the path was laid open for the conquest of much of the crumbling realm. While some were known to have held out in the Alpine and Carpathian bastions for some time, most of the remaining Habsburg forces (by then under de facto New Austrian command) were forced to retreat southward towards the Adriatic Sea. The bloody yet stubborn sacrifices at those final defensive lines, whether it came from volunteers or members of the ruling dynasty itself, have since gone down in the annals of history, buying precious time for refugees and surviving soldiers to evacuate. With the departure of Franz Ferdinand I himself aboard the last ship to leave in 1927 and the subsequent scourging of Trieste by the enemy, the last organized vestiges of the Crownlands perished.

A triumphant Knöpfer was appointed the first ColMem Secretary (later ColMemsec) of the Central Plains Collective and wasted little time in remaking the Danube in the Will's image, which is still ongoing. The very name for the polity alone reflects the aim of freeing men from the past. Of the old capital cities alone, only Budapest was rebuilt and repurposed as "Worker's Fort 03" (Arbeiterod 03 in ColStandard), which has served as the permanent administrative center since at least the 1940s, while Vienna was said to have been reduced to rubble, in an ironic echo to the destruction of ancient Carthage. Their fates were mirrored across the former Austro-Hungarian lands, with an emphasis of purging significant traces of the old order. Beyond demolishing historical landmarks, religious structures and other locales deemed useless, priceless pieces of art and literature are believed to be lost forever. While an ideological regimen, which has waxed and waned over the generations, has sought to purify the mind of backward notions, including the eradication of historical, ethnic, cultural and nationalist ideas. Ironically, in their place a new "Danubian" culture of sorts, if not a distinct "national" identity has emerged among much of the population, forged from both Red dogma and the ashes of the "Lost Nations" that once existed.

Society, as elsewhere in the Internationale, has been thoroughly restructured along Collectivist lines. Formally comprised of the Inner Party, Outer Party, and the Workers, over time these have coalesed, at least in the C.P.C., into the former two (ostensibly due to the latter being apparently perceived as Party members by technicality). The local "Danubian" forms of ColStandard also notably feature significant, albeit mangled, influences from Austrian German and Hungarian, among others. Nonetheless, the social structure remains close to the Internationale's "norm." The Inner Party serve as the de facto ruling elite and primary exemplars of the Will (with Colmemsec Hermann Rakos continuing the U.P.C. and Knöpfer's work), chosen through selection more than from birth. Those of the Outer Party, meanwhile, form the backbone of the factories, farms, institutions and military forces. In Colkozepbenen's case, its status as an agricultural and mining hub has made it a crucial asset for Supreme Politburo, the ColMem being the host of the "Adriatic Cordon"(a network of naval blockades and fortifications serving as a regional counterweight to the Free World's Red Curtain). It may well explain why, alongside the local Party's firm loyalty, its relatively arbitrary boundaries (still partially mirroring the old Crownlands) have remained largely stable.

While it is said that all its myriad subdivisions are equal as are all of mankind, some are more equal than others. From what could be discerned, those of the Inner Party enjoy standards of living that seem contrary to their otherwise utilitarian and spartan pretensions, whereas the average Outer Party member would be lucky to have most of the bare essentials unless one showed appropriate fervor (or at least had the patronage of the more faithful). It's likely that most may live their lives without ever knowing much else other than what the Will has decreed for them as their lot. Nigh-constant surveillance and strife, as well as fear of heresy (both without and within) further reinforce this state of affairs. Which, it seems, suits the powers that be just fine, their grip as unquestioned as the Will.

It's also known, however, that throughout the decades, that even compared to its neighbors, the so-called "Unpersons" had served as a persistent thorn on the Party's side.

Ghosts of the Lost Nations: The Unpersons of the Central Plains Collective

Derived from ColStandard, it's believed that the term "Unperson" originally referred to the Inner Party's observed tendencies, through StateOrd, to erase any traces of those who defied the Will of the Workers. In time, as with their counterparts elsewhere in the Internationale, these came to include rebels and others deemed even more heretical than the peoples of the Free Nations. Much of what's known about their exploits is based on accounts from defectors and refugees, as well as whatever could be scrounged by New Austria's Evidenzbureau and the South Italian Servizio Informazioni. The rest, however, is shrouded in speculation and conjecture. Regardless, their efforts have not been in vain.

Even though the Austro-Hungarian Crownlands were lost, there were those who refused to submit to Collectivist rule. A motley mix of nationalists, Habsburg loyalists, military remnants, nobles, ordinary citizens and even disillusioned U.P.C. members scattered throughout the former realm continued to resist Red rule. This "first generation" of Unpersons had no centralized leadership, but were nonetheless able to lay the groundwork for a secretive network linking the disparate cells. It was even alleged that it had the rudimentary trappings of an underground state, with couriers, educational facilities and even armed militias. StateOrd, however, caught on after the first decade, though his increasingly expansive campaigns to root them out only served to emboldening more people to rise up. This led to the First Great Rebellion in 1942, wherein which food riot in Workers' Fort 03 escalated into an armed uprising that forced the deployment of the Collective Army (later ColArmeo). It was a decisive victory for the ColMemsec (resulting in Knöpfer's "election" as part of the Supreme Politburo), but failed to crush the resistance's spirit.

By the 1950s, their ranks included Party dissidents and those born after the Terror. It was by then, so the testimonies go, that a longer-term "backup plan" began germinating, even as the remaining "old guard" plotted an insurrection that would eclipse the first. So it was, that from their hidden bastions in and around Workers' Fort 04 (formerly Sopron/Odenburg), the Second Great Rebellion erupted across the Central Plains Collective in 1959. This, perhaps, marked their apex. For not only did the fighting against the Red forces threaten to spill into surrounding ColMems (where Unpersons were said to have been inspired). But the rebels even came close to controlling the communications network and a vital route to the Adriatic, which would have opened up a potential path for reinforcements from the Free World (especially New Austria) to intervene. Unfortunately, the Internationale responded with even greater force before such a possibility could arise. Nonetheless, the doomed militia bought time for their comrades in arms to either go into hiding or escape into freedom, with the last armed holdouts being brutally crushed in 1962.

From that point on, any semblance of open revolution perished. Indeed, since the number of genuine defectors from the ColMem (as opposed to sleeper agents and StateOrd saboteurs) dwindled significantly by the late 20th Century, it's nearly impossible to know for certain whether Unpersons still exist at all as a distinct organized presence. At the same time, there's enough to suggest that this may well be intentional. Though a few hidden strongholds would be retained, most used the underground network to disperse into the countryside and enact the "backup plan." Realizing that overthrowing the Party in their lifetime was increasingly far out of reach, the surviving, aging leadership instead called on their compatriots to continue the struggle by any means. While there would occasionally be larger-scale operations, the last known being the Adriatic Incident of 1992 (which involved the last major flight of defectors to New Austria), it's by and large in the hands of individuals, or at most small cells with little to no direct contact. They would stow away priceless relics, smuggle old books, retain the old languages among themselves, teach children in secret, lie, cheat and if need be, die. All to carry an unbroken line of knowledge, wisdom and memory from their forefathers to the next generation, and those after.

Given the seeming strength of the Central Plains Collective as it stands presently, this may be the best way for them to carry on. Whether it will take a thousand years, or the threat of atomic annihilation, the sanity and hope borne from these efforts would in time lead to true victory. At least, that is the best that could discern, as the alternative is not one to lightly entertain.

There are also other rumors and accounts from the Unpersons that seem unsettling if true. It's been known for decades that the "abominations" mentioned in official Collectivist doctrine, speculated by some to be allegories to so-called "Nation-Personifications" as seen in fiction, refer to the Lost Nations crushed during the Terror, as well as the underlying concepts behind them. According to fragmentary records and questionable accounts from those claiming to have been Outer Party defectors, these may only be the beginning. Allegedly, among the ranks of the Inner Party is a young man who has barely aged since taking up the position of ColRep or Collective Representative as early as the First Great Rebellion. While somewhere deep in either Workers' Fort 03 or what was once Lake Balaton, the continuing efforts to destroy all vestiges of the Lost Nations there may be more than literal, whether for research or something else entirely.

- "Beyond the Red Curtain: A Portrait of the Collectivist Internationale." American Federation. 2023 Edition.

----
For some added trivia, the "Danubian" variant of ColStandard used is a deliberately mangled amalgamation of German, Hungarian and Esperanto (among others), with elements of Newspeak from 1984 (alongside the social structure of the Inner and Outer Party). ColStandard itself, apart from being a reference to Newspeak also has Esperanto with Slavic elements. Coincidentally, StateOrd has elements of both the Thought Police and the Soviet KGB.

The early evolution of the Unpersons as a resistance movement, as well as the circumstances around the First and Second Great Rebellions, are based on both the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 and the 1956 Hungarian Revolution. Coincidentally, the "underground state" that emerged initially is an allusion to the Polish Underground State during World War II, though it eventually transitions to something more akin to both Emmanuel Goldstein's Brotherhood from 1984 and Eastern Front partisans. While Hermann Rakos, is an allusion to Mátyás Rákosi, the General Secretary of the Hungarian Communists up until the Revolution in '56.

Alexander Knöpfer, the first "ColMemsec" of the Central Plains Collective, is a sly reference to the antagonistic Alex Knöpfer from the Axis Powers Hetalia fanfic Human Curiosity by Super Sister. That particular story involves an organization going after the Nations for secretive ends...though to say more may betray hints as to what the Collectivists have in mind in response to the "National Question."

The Central Plains Collective's coat of arms is a distorted version of Communist Hungary's Stalinist-inspired heraldry prior to 1956.

Many of the placenames, despite using ColStandard, correspond to the locations of the towns and cities they're supposed to be. Notably:

Arbeiterod (Workers' Fort) 02 - Prague
Arbeiterod 03 - Budapest
Arbeiterod 04 - Sopron/Odenburg
Arbeiterod 05 - Innsbruck
Arbeifalu 06 (Workers' Village) - Salzburg
Colhaveno 05 (Collective Port) - Trieste
Colflanko 02 (Collective Shore) - Keszthely

And yes, the "Nation-Personifications" are a reference to this entry. I can neither confirm nor deny whether or not it's true.

----

ndAhN6n.png

Last edited:
I had read this version. The most noticeable difference:

India is an island. AFAIR about 1000 kilometers between India and Asia.

Therefore, there is no Himalayas.

Most Indian animals are marsupials, like in OTL Australia.
Interesting. I'd like to get my hands on a copy of that book.

Status
Not open for further replies.