Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Austrian Empire Proper in the 19th Century

Austria.png
This was a map I was toying around with for my Napoleon II Timeline- Imperator Francorum: A Napoleon II Timeline.

It's minor spoilers for it, but it basically involves Austria successfully crushing the Hungarian Independence movement where it federalizes the Empire modeling it off the Second French Empire with a more Habsburgian Neo-Absolutist Paradigm as its governing philosophy. The Habsburgs revived the idea of a Universal Empire with the various disparate people in the Empire united around loyalty to the Habsburg dynasty. The new Federal structure of the Empire instituted in the Empire granted local autonomy to the various ethnic groups living within the Empire reducing the appeal of nationalism while simultaneously breaking and diluting the power of the Hungarian separatists-most of whom were upper class magnates whose lands property were liquidated and redistributed among loyal nobles and the peasantry. The Greater Austrian Empire once seeming destined to crumble at the seams, now stands poised to ride out the 19th century as powerful than ever under the Kaiser.

Note: the cut off text is supposed to say the Bukovina which is a Crownland province of the Habsburgs.

What do you guys think?

"A Child's Atlas of the World": The North-Eastern CSA

Crossposted, as usual, from "The End of History": an excerpt from an atlas for use in schools published within the CSA in the mid-1960s:

hL29Xqm.png

From NDCR:

Zaire map.png
Zaire, officially the Republic of Zaire (French: République du Zaïre), is a country located in Central Africa. It is, by area, the largest country in Africa, and the 7th-largest in the world. With a population of over 105 million, Zaire is the most populous officially Francophone country, the most populous country in Africa, and the 8th most populous country in the world.

The country is a dominant-party authoritarian dictatorship, run by Mobutu Sese Seko and his ruling Popular Movement of the Revolution party. Zaire was established following Mobutu's seizure of power in a military coup in 1965, following five years of political upheaval following independence known as the Congo Crisis. Mobutu's government received considerable support from the United States, due to its anti-communist stance during the Cold War, and was one of the founders of the Entebbe Pact. Although the country was created with a strongly centralist constitution, and foreign assets were nationalized, the country went through massive modernization and industrialization streak during the 70s and 80s due to massive Western investment in the Zairean economy and the opening of Uganda’s natural resources to foreign export. A massive process of military expansion and professionalization followed the modernization process, and the country became one of the strongest countries in Africa, both militarily and economically. Mobutu pursued the creation of a more centralized and Africanized national identity, a process named Authenticité, which resulted in the renaming of the nation and several cities, along with mandated Africanization of names and several other policies.

The Entebbe Pact was allied with NATO during the third world war, and Zaire annexed the entirety of Congo-Brazzaville and large swaths of Zambia, including most of the Copperbelt, as a result for their contribution to the war effort. Between world war three to the great southern war, Zaire went through massive infrastructure investment and further integration with the Entebbe Pact nations, which resulted in Zaire giving independence to Hutuland and Tutsiland, both in the territory of former Burundi. Zaire took part in the African scene of the great southern war to a mixed success as the nation gained control over the Cabinda enclave and roughly one-fifth of Gabon's territory but lost the northern bank of the Zambezi river. Mobutu ruled the country with an iron fist until his death in 2005 and was succeeded by [REDACTED].

The Republic of Zaire is extremely rich in natural resources, and is considered to be one of the most developed nations in Africa in terms of infrastructure, but has ongoing problems of high corruption levels and ethnic tensions. The country's economy is heavily reliant on mining and large-scale industry, with massive cities such as Lubumbashi, Mbuji-Mayi, and Kisangani serving as the economic hubs of the country. The capital, Kinshasa, went through a massive renovation and expansion during the late 90s and early 00s in order to erase the differences between Kinshasa proper, former Brazzaville and the recent developments adjacent to the city, and today the city's economy is comprised of advanced industries and retail. The state is a member of the United Nations and one of the leading members of the Entebbe Pact, along with Uganda, Kenia, and Angola.

So, inspired by the "optimal borders survey" done a while ago for Poland, Ukraine and Romania, I decided to take a shot at making something similar for China.

Chinese_borders_survey (1).png

Idk if this is the right place to put this, though, but I'm not sure where else I could.

I agree that a thread would be better. It would also prevent the map thread from being swamped/spammed by mostly identical maps of China for a while.

Leninton, perhaps? It has a bit of a ring to it, IMO.
Lenisland.
So, inspired by the "optimal borders survey" done a while ago for Poland, Ukraine and Romania, I decided to take a shot at making something similar for China.

View attachment 532522

Idk if this is the right place to put this, though, but I'm not sure where else I could.
I would suggest adding Gansu, Ningxia, and Shaanxi to the map. Possibly also areas in the south of China. I see no reason why former French Indochija, and it’s internal borders, is here. If you are going the tributary route, might as well include Burma and Thailand. Or do the route of what I read in an English version of a Chinese book, claiming that the Mongols were Sinaizied, and thus the Chinese had claim to having invaded Poland and all the lands up to it.

Don't American cities just have the name? Austin isn't named Austinton, Houston has the -ton just because the original last name had it, etc.
Probably would just be "Lenin."
There is already a Lenin in New Jersey. Having more than one city named Lenin would be silly and confusing.

View attachment 532522

This map is not remotely expansive enough to cover China's true natural borders:

All the Chinese "National Humiliation" maps plus the Kuomintang's proposal to annex Siberia and Central Asia combined into one t h i c c China
View attachment 521298
Note: Had to create some provincial borders to make it more equal in size.

An Austrian-Dominated German Empire

saSP2lW.jpg

Not for a TL (at least not one that I've written up yet), just playing around with this style. Any thoughts, feedback, or questions are welcome. If you want to see me develop this further, please let me know, though what worries me about expanding on this in say, a series of maps, is that I don't think I'll be able to make every map match the quality of this one.

Credit to @Yanranay and @Iserlohn for correcting the German on the map. Before anyone asks, East Prussia sticking out of the border would ruin the balance of the map, I tried.

An Austrian-Dominated German Empire
Not for a TL (at least not one that I've written up yet), just playing around with this style. Any thoughts, feedback, or questions are welcome. If you want to see me develop this further, please let me know, though what worries me about expanding on this in say, a series of maps, is that I don't think I'll be able to make every map match the quality of this one.

Credit to @Yanranay and @Iserlohn for correcting the German on the map. Before anyone asks, East Prussia sticking out of the border would ruin the balance of the map, I tried.

Gorgeous map!

How do the Venetians feel about suddenly being a duchy?

Is Hanover still in union with Great Britain?

Where did Poland come from?

Is the Northern German Bund really no longer considered to be part of the Empire?

In general, please make a write-up if not a full TL!

1.png

Alternate Language Map in a world with some different migrations. Here's a writeup of some of the new peoples:

Ruzian/Ruzenian: Pronounced Ruthian/Ruthenian, The Ruzians were the people born from the settlement of Wikings into the *Andalus* and *Algarve* regions by Lusitanian kings as thanks for help in fighting the Berber kingdoms resulting from their invasion of Hispania. The Ruzians adopted the culture of their Lusitanian overlords, and gradually conquered the rest of Betica along with Lusitania. Hispanic Normans with some Berber mixed in.

Porekans: (from Po reka - by the river) The South Slavs continued their expansion and invaded the Po river valley. Most of the Porekans were escaping the Wigarian invasion of the Pannonia region. Slavic Italians.

Doetsch: German French: the Franks germanised much of the north of France and began settling people throughout Francia westward into their territories in the North of France. They then began spreading south through the Rhone river valley. Populations of the Oberseemener exist from adventurers to the Holy Land in the 1200s. Their language is essentially Low Franconian with a heavy Latin influence.

Theodish: What if English was stuck in the Middle English state without any French or much Latin influence?

Siqillian: another resultant language of the Berber expansion of the 800s, the Siqillians are born from the mixed Zenatian, Tamazight, and Kabylian populations of North Africa.

Pannonian: The Romance language of the Keszthely Culture, they are a major minority population in the state of Wigaria.
African: Carthaginian Romance
Moorish: Berber Romance spoken by Altavans
Treverese: a strange group of mountaineers, shepherds, foresters and farmers residing in the Vosges mountains and parts of the Moselle Basin, they are the last surviving Romance group of the Langue d'oil, and are quite divergent from Modern French.

Crossposting from Union of American Realms, a remade version of East Florida from that universe.
ddt3g4c-ed050a4a-9d1b-465b-aac7-8e3cf58cea30.png

Last edited:

Isaac Beach

Banned
ddt3f25-672d8ea3-eb5d-4e37-9ccf-a6f03b8baf90.png

The Bosniak Corridor

~​

Made for the MotF 213: Völkerwanderung, the challenge being to 'make a map showing a group or people that has ended up in a very different place than OTL.'
The POD lies in the Treaty of Berlin following the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78, wherein rather than gain nominal control over Bosnia and Herzegovina Austria formally declares its intention to occupy and annex the region in light of the Herzegovina Uprising, for 'reasons of maintaining the southern frontier'. This effectively has the same result as IOTL, souring relations with their Balkan and Russian neighbours. However, it also creates the impetus for Croatian nationalism, and after much hand-wringing about a repeat of the Hungarian Uprising some thirty years earlier the Kingdom of Croatia is created at the expense of the Hungarians (Always a good thing so far as Vienna is concerned).
Predictably, the Croats copy the Magyarization policies of Budapest and this upsets a great deal of Muslim Bosniaks, who in turn emigrate en masse to the United States, the details of which are explicated upon in the above map. I hope you enjoy!

Note: This was originally going to be more complex with crosshatching and the like, but the SVG file corrupted, which is disappointing.

ddt3f25-672d8ea3-eb5d-4e37-9ccf-a6f03b8baf90.png

The Bosniak Corridor

~​

Made for the MotF 213: Völkerwanderung, the challenge being to 'make a map showing a group or people that has ended up in a very different place than OTL.'
The POD lies in the Treaty of Berlin following the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78, wherein rather than gain nominal control over Bosnia and Herzegovina Austria formally declares its intention to occupy and annex the region in light of the Herzegovina Uprising, for 'reasons of maintaining the southern frontier'. This effectively has the same result as IOTL, souring relations with their Balkan and Russian neighbours. However, it also creates the impetus for Croatian nationalism, and after much hand-wringing about a repeat of the Hungarian Uprising some thirty years earlier the Kingdom of Croatia is created at the expense of the Hungarians (Always a good thing so far as Vienna is concerned).
Predictably, the Croats copy the Magyarization policies of Budapest and this upsets a great deal of Muslim Bosniaks, who in turn emigrate en masse to the United States, the details of which are explicated upon in the above map. I hope you enjoy!

Note: This was originally going to be more complex with crosshatching and the like, but the SVG file corrupted, which is disappointing.

Sorry to hear about the file corruption, but this is a beautiful map regardless!

Status
Not open for further replies.